PDA

View Full Version : Listening to jumbo fisher makes me feel like I am being raped by a used car

99jc
07-16-2018, 11:38 AM
Salesman then dipped in into boiling vat of crab legs. He is the one coach I despise in the SEC.

msstate7
07-16-2018, 11:42 AM
If you don't like him now, imagine after he puts together a few top 5 classes (maybe top 3). aTm is about to be no fun after this year

ShotgunDawg
07-16-2018, 11:43 AM
Oh yeah. He's a sleezeball.

I think A&M may be a frustration for him.

ShotgunDawg
07-16-2018, 11:46 AM
If you don't like him now, imagine after he puts together a few top 5 classes (maybe top 3). aTm is about to be no fun after this year

Idk man.

He'll never have A&M rolling better than he did FSU and, outside of 1 Winston year, I always thought his teams at FSU were clunky.

I'm not sold he's a GREAT coach. He's good but more in the Phil's Fulmer/Richt way to me.

He still doesn't believe in running his QB, which will be an interesting strategy in the SEC, where he won't have the best talent on field all the time like he did 100% of the time at FSU.

99jc
07-16-2018, 11:50 AM

Faced lied about it. And I hated him at FSU he is shifty a$$ liar. Reminds me of a fast talking Hugh Freeze.

msstate7
07-16-2018, 11:50 AM
Idk man.

He'll never have A&M rolling better than he did FSU and, outside of 1 Winston year, I always thought his teams at FSU were clunky.

I'm not sold he's a GREAT coach. He's good but more in the Phil's Fulmer/Richt way to me.

He still doesn't believe in running his QB, which will be an interesting strategy in the SEC, where he won't have the best talent on field all the time like he did 100% of the time at FSU.

Give him a few years, and he'll have the most talent on the field unless he faces Georgia and when he faces bama. Unless LSU makes a change at HC (and maybe even if they do), jimbo will outrecruit them and the other 10 sec schools.

ShotgunDawg
07-16-2018, 11:57 AM
Give him a few years, and he'll have the most talent on the field unless he faces Georgia and when he faces bama. Unless LSU makes a change at HC (and maybe even if they do), jimbo will outrecruit them and the other 10 sec schools.

Maybe. I don't view him as a game changer though.

He'll make them better, but I don't believe A&M will become a monster under him.

msstate7
07-16-2018, 12:02 PM
Maybe. I don't view him as a game changer though.

He'll make them better, but I don't believe A&M will become a monster under him.

I picture them as a 10-2 type team year-in, year-out with an occasional playoff push. If this comes to fruitition, we better hope LSU doesn't get a real coach or we become a 8-4 at best team in the sec west

ShotgunDawg
07-16-2018, 12:12 PM
I picture them as a 10-2 type team year-in, year-out with an occasional playoff push. If this comes to fruitition, we better hope LSU doesn't get a real coach or we become a 8-4 at best team in the sec west

Maybe but they've never accomplished any thing close to that consistency in the history of the program.

I'm just saying that Jimbo left a job where he was the number 1 recruiter in his conference by a good amount for job where he is currently the 4th best recruiter in his division.

Additionally, he has a culture to change at A&M that may take sometime and Jimbo not exactly the most revolutionary coach.

I agree he'll make them better but I see mostly 8-4 and 9-3 with an occasional 10-2 mixed in.

msbulldog
07-16-2018, 12:21 PM
Kids today are not playing his kind of football in high school, if he doesn't change his method, he'll have a tough go.

LC Dawg
07-16-2018, 12:41 PM
I've heard since A&M joined the league that they will shift the balance of power but take Manziel's two years out and they've been very average. FSU seemed to always lose a game or two that they should have won each year and that was in the ACC. Every week is going to be tougher now that Jimbo is in the SEC. Also, we'll see how driven to succeed he is since he's guaranteed $75 million. I personally don't think ol Jimbo is going to be much more successful than Sumlin.

msstate7
07-16-2018, 12:53 PM
Jimbo is 83-23 as a head coach. Before last season's debacle, he had made 5 straight bcs/playoff/ny6 level bowls with 1 natty. He has maintained his recruiting level from FSU to aTm... currently #2 in the country. He also won a natty as an OC in the sec.

We look pretty foolish praising Moorhead (and I love Moorhead), and with the same mouth downplay jimbo. Jimbo was a HR on paper. Not all HRs on paper work out though... hopefully this is the case

thf24
07-16-2018, 12:54 PM
A&M is just like Texas in that you can get almost anyone to coach them and they're still going to have the same issues. The first step for them is proving they can make some changes and break out of that pattern.

Jack Lambert
07-16-2018, 01:08 PM

Not worried.

msstate7
07-16-2018, 01:13 PM
Not worried.
2013 = 9th
2014 = 5th
2015 = 11th
2016 = 18th
2017 = 13th
Avg = 11th

ETA... you edited on me haha

Jack Lambert
07-16-2018, 01:20 PM
2013 = 9th
2014 = 5th
2015 = 11th
2016 = 18th
2017 = 13th
Avg = 11th

ETA... you edited on me haha

If you take 2018 which is 17th and go back to 2014 you have a 12 average. If you only go back to 2015 but take in 2018 class they average 14th. That's a shit load of talent and if he can't make noise with that then he will not make much more with better.

To prove my point:

FSU
2014 4th
2015 3rd
2016 3rd
2017 6th.

Average 4th.

What did he do last season at FSU?

I don't think he is worth 75 million. I don't think he is that great of a coach. He also lets shit head thieving rapist stay on the field.

msstate7
07-16-2018, 01:29 PM
If you take 2018 which is 17th and go back to 2014 you have a 12 average. If you only go back to 2015 but take in 2018 class they average 14th. That's a shit load of talent and if he can't make noise with that then he will not make much more with better.

To prove my point:

FSU
2014 4th
2015 3rd
2016 3rd
2017 6th.

Average 4th.

What did he do last season at FSU?

I don't think he is worth 75 million. I don't think he is that great of a coach. He also lets shit head thieving rapist stay on the field.

What did he do the 5 seasons before last season? By your reasoning, schloss was a crap candidate compared to Henderson. I mean look at last season, right?

Jack Lambert
07-16-2018, 01:36 PM
What did he do the 5 seasons before last season? By your reasoning, schloss was a crap candidate compared to Henderson. I mean look at last season, right?

My intent wasn't to argue but he should never have a losing season with those recruiting classes.

msstate7
07-16-2018, 01:40 PM
My intent wasn't to argue but he should never have a losing season with those recruiting classes. Never!

Last season was ridiculous, and a huge black eye on his resume. I don't think it defines him though. He's proven he's good. Mullen followed up his crap season in 2016 with one of his best in 2017. I expect jimbo to bounce back strong too. Now I don't expect him to win but like 7-8 this year, but I expect him to steadily get better

Jack Lambert
07-16-2018, 01:43 PM
Last season was ridiculous, and a huge black eye on his resume. I don't think it defines him though. He's proven he's good. Mullen followed up his crap season in 2016 with one of his best in 2017. I expect jimbo to bounce back strong too. Now I don't expect him to win but like 7-8 this year, but I expect him to steadily get better

I would rather face him at A&m every year then Saban at Bama. :)

preachermatt83
07-16-2018, 01:58 PM
Kids today are not playing his kind of football in high school, if he doesn't change his method, he'll have a tough go.

Yup. Most overrated coach in the conference

ScoobaDawg
07-16-2018, 02:02 PM
It's so interesting to read all these comments and remember he was close to being our next head coach instead of Croom.
I like where we are at now... or so we all think and hope..how the year will be. But much like how things would of been different if Spurrier had come... where would we be in the college landscape under Fisher.

Bothrops
07-16-2018, 02:07 PM

In rankings, sure. As long as it's mainly Texas players he recruits, I won't be too concerned.

msstate7
07-16-2018, 02:10 PM
In rankings, sure. As long as it's mainly Texas players he recruits, I won't be too concerned.

I think you're about to see the 2 Texas schools just didn't have the right coaches. Oklahoma has been just fine with Texas recruits

BrunswickDawg
07-16-2018, 02:16 PM
Jimbo is 83-23 as a head coach. Before last season's debacle, he had made 5 straight bcs/playoff/ny6 level bowls with 1 natty. He has maintained his recruiting level from FSU to aTm... currently #2 in the country. He also won a natty as an OC in the sec.

We look pretty foolish praising Moorhead (and I love Moorhead), and with the same mouth downplay jimbo. Jimbo was a HR on paper. Not all HRs on paper work out though... hopefully this is the case

And A&M has been a consistent Top 20 Recruiting team with Sumlin even getting the ranking into the top 5 twice. They are #2 now but their AVG of 90.27 will place them about #10 or #11 when all is said and done.
They will have talent, but I don't think it will be FSU talent and it won't get them much higher then what they have been historically. I think Jimbo is on cruise control.

thf24
07-16-2018, 02:21 PM
I think you're about to see the 2 Texas schools just didn't have the right coaches. Oklahoma has been just fine with Texas recruits

The factors holding Texas and A&M back from their full potential in recent history don't have anything to do with the coach, aside from maybe not having coaches with the all-around personal skills to tell the self-entitled boosters to sit down and shut up without getting run out of town. I don't think Jimbo is that guy, but we'll see.

msstate7
07-16-2018, 02:26 PM
And A&M has been a consistent Top 20 Recruiting team with Sumlin even getting the ranking into the top 5 twice. They are #2 now but their AVG of 90.27 will place them about #10 or #11 when all is said and done.
They will have talent, but I don't think it will be FSU talent and it won't get them much higher then what they have been historically. I think Jimbo is on cruise control.

Eh, if they finish at 90.27. They're the favorite for 5 more players rated 92-94. They're also being drug down by a kicker rated 78, but even he has a tcu offer

Jack Lambert
07-16-2018, 02:54 PM
Eh, if they finish at 90.27. They're the favorite for 5 more players rated 92-94. They're also being drug down by a kicker rated 78, but even he has a tcu offer

Well regardless he got his pay check. That's what winning will do at a P5 school.

Captain Falcon
07-16-2018, 02:57 PM
I've heard since A&M joined the league that they will shift the balance of power but take Manziel's two years out and they've been very average. FSU seemed to always lose a game or two that they should have won each year and that was in the ACC. Every week is going to be tougher now that Jimbo is in the SEC. Also, we'll see how driven to succeed he is since he's guaranteed $75 million. I personally don't think ol Jimbo is going to be much more successful than Sumlin.

I think you can argue they even underachieved with Manziel. They were great his Heisman year but managed to lose at home to two good not great teams in Florida and LSU. And they had an 8-4 regular season his sophomore year.

I think Jimbo is a very good coach that will probably have success in this league, especially if Saban retires in the next 2-3 years. But I don?t see them becoming more than essentially what LSU and Auburn have been since about 2012. Occasionally really good, but they are just as likely be pretty average on a given year.

Bothrops
07-16-2018, 04:22 PM

Texas is too much about HS football.

IMissJack
07-16-2018, 04:43 PM
Texas is too much about HS football.

I live in a school district outside of Houston, TX with 7 6A High Schools within about 10 miles of each other. Like most of the HS teams that I see in TX, 90% run some type of spread offense and the defense is not very hard nosed football. There are plenty of talented players in TX with access to great facilities, weight rooms, etc. but in general, I believe the fighting in the trenches is stepped up in the Southeast. A&M has been soft on D for several years, and that has been their issue. If Jimbo can change that, then they will be good, because there are QB's and Wide Receivers everywhere here.

ShotgunDawg
07-16-2018, 04:52 PM
I live in a school district outside of Houston, TX with 7 6A High Schools within about 10 miles of each other. Like most of the HS teams that I see in TX, 90% run some type of spread offense and the defense is not very hard nosed football. There are plenty of talented players in TX with access to great facilities, weight rooms, etc. but in general, I believe the fighting in the trenches is stepped up in the Southeast. A&M has been soft on D for several years, and that has been their issue. If Jimbo can change that, then they will be good, because there are QB's and Wide Receivers everywhere here.

It's gonna be hard to change that culture though because you've got to change the way guys played from HS. A&M will have to redshirt a ton of dudes.

To put in perspective how hard this issue is to change, the Big 12 mostly recruits TX & no team in the Big 12 can build a physical culture. Oklahoma is the closest but that is a scrappy state & that style of football goes back to the option days of Bud Wilkenson

bulldawg28
07-16-2018, 06:39 PM

Wrong. A&M may win 9-10 games a year. They're not winning the West anytime soon. He won 1 championship in a weak conference.

BB30
07-16-2018, 06:57 PM
Eh I think we are undervaluing him. He’s not worth the 75 mil but on paper he’s arguably the second best coach in the league.

Last year was an outlier and I honestly think he already had one foot out the door going into the season due to the situation with his wife and an FSU athlete. They also had to resort to a freshman at QB and 3 of their losses were by one possession or less.

Out of the coaches they could have gone and gotten there aren’t many I would have picked over him. They certainly have the resources and fan base to make some noise. We will just have to wait and see what he can do.

Saying 9-3 to 10-2 with an occasional shot at competing for a championship imo would be really really good and I would certainly take that there can only be one Bama.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-16-2018, 10:39 PM
This conversation seems off to me. 1) Nobody is defending Jimbo the man, yet I've seen a few posters mix in their personal feelings for Jimbo the man as they list reasons why Jimbo the coach isn't that good of one. One has nothing to do with the other. 2) What does it matter if Jimbo's on field success is usually 5-10 spots lower than his recruiting rankings? If he's fielding good teams he's fielding good teams. What's it matter if he's not the next Saban? Whether he's an ok recruiter and and elite developer of talent, or an elite recruiter and an ok developer, a reasonably consistent #10-15 team is a reasonably consistent #10-15 team. I don't want to play that. 3) A&M at 9-3/10-2 means we have like a 25-40% chance of beating them on average (one of their loses will be to Bama, then they play Auburn and LSU who along with us will be trying to give them that 2nd and 3rd loss). 9-3 A&M is a lot tougher animal than 7-5 A&M was. Some of y'all seem really unconcerned about this hire like he's Morris at Arky or something but by the general consensus of how they'll do he will beat us quite a few times.

The question to me is "what caused him to struggle late at FSU, and has that changed?". FSU fans say he got complacent; I could see that happening again given the 100% guaranteed contract. FSU fans say he kept sub par coaches on staff because he liked them; at A&M he has a mostly new staff, but I could see this becoming a problem for them in a few years as the new personal relationships cloud his judgment. His system isn't good for Texas athletes; will he suffer, adapt his system, or pluck the few who do fit? These are the questions that are far more relevant than "Can he develop talent?" or "is he overrated?". I agree that he's overrated but his career average tells me he'll field top 15 teams on the regular, and that sucks for us. Hopefully he starts phoning it in soon like last year, else we're going to have a hard time keeping that game a W. Just my 2 cents

TUSK
07-17-2018, 12:45 AM
1) Jimbo is super scumy/slimey, IMO
2) A&M has a lot of talent on board... top half of conference and 3rd tier (Bammer, UGA, LSU, and AU, have more talent)...
3) Those phuckers piss money over yonder...

Joe Schmedlap
07-17-2018, 09:04 AM
aTm will be better under JF than they were under KS, probably to the tune of at least one if not two more wins per year. They paid dearly for that incremental improvement though. It takes more than just money to reach the top of the mountain, but money definitely helps. Recruiting, player development, discipline...all led by a hungry, motivated coach.

StarkVegasSteve
07-17-2018, 01:04 PM
A&M has been, is, and always will be overrated. It doesn't matter who the coach is because as long as their fan base is more obsessed with Texas than the rest of the SEC no coach will ever be able to satisfy that fan base. The day they focus on teams they actually play will be the day we need to start worrying about the Aggies.

lastmajordog
07-17-2018, 02:04 PM
I have a relative that lives in Texas with a alumnus kid of UT Austin. They have been frustrated for years with Texas football with different coaches. He believes it?s with Texas HS football being soft. Laugh if you will, but it?s hard to imagine UT being as bad as they have been for so long.

MedDawg
07-17-2018, 07:09 PM
Sumlin was lucky to have a down Texas and Fisher likely won't have that luxury. If Texas gets stronger under Herman, they will pull more of the top talent in Texas and more of the spotlight.

Fisher will do better than Sumlin and make it more difficult for us to beat A&M, but he won't win like he did at Florida State and that is what A&M fans are expecting. Eventually (way before his 10 years are up) the fans and writers will turn on him. If Texas gets stronger then it will be even worse for Fisher.

Mutt the Hoople
07-18-2018, 03:46 PM
Texas football is soft. Basically 7 on 7 basketball on grass.