PDA

View Full Version : Bulldog Sports Radio is no more

Dawg2003
07-16-2018, 08:22 AM
To complete the mass exodus of MSU media. I hope some of the podcasts continue on in some form.

ShotgunDawg
07-16-2018, 08:29 AM
Our media just evaporated. The whole damn thing.

FWIW, I hope Hadad continues on. I think he does an outstanding job

iPat09
07-16-2018, 08:34 AM
Our media just evaporated. The whole damn thing.

FWIW, I hope Hadad continues on. I think he does an outstanding job

From a talking point, he does a great job. But he could certainly use a producer to help monitor audio levels so he could focus just on talking. Plenty of mornings on the way to work, I would be struggling to hear Bob and then go deaf anytime Brian would speak.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-16-2018, 08:37 AM
From a talking point, he does a great job. But he could certainly use a producer to help monitor audio levels so he could focus just on talking. Plenty of mornings on the way to work, I would be struggling to hear Bob and then go deaf anytime Brian would speak.

IS there something to prevent hearing breathing and sighing into the mic?

Lord McBuckethead
07-16-2018, 08:55 AM
Alright, there is something to this. If two of our guys moved on... well that is just coincidence. Are we (MSU) putting together our own sports station or something for the SEC Network and ESPN? It would seem to me that there is an opportunity here for each team to have 20 minutes or so of air time every other day, produced solely by the University, to highlight stories from said school. That would in turn, make the SEC network something as a stronger news source about what is happening in recruiting, practice, job searches, community service, and coach interviews.

So the format could be Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10-4. Each team would have 20-25 minutes to conduct interviews, look at next opponent, etc. I would tune in.

Bothrops
07-16-2018, 08:57 AM
SEC Network was poorly thought through. It sucks.

msu15
07-16-2018, 09:02 AM

Big time. Give me CSS all day over SECN. I used to love turning on CSS in the summer and getting to watch a classic football game pretty much anytime I tuned in. Now, good chance it's going to be some sport that nobody cares about or that awful SEC Now show.

ShotgunDawg
07-16-2018, 09:24 AM

The biggest problem with the SEC Network IMO is that it is built around Finebaum & his former Birmingham radio base.

I don't have a huge problem with Finebaum, but the non-game content on the channel covers Bama, Auburn, Tennessee, & UGA an inordinate amount compared to the rest of the conference.

BeastMan
07-16-2018, 09:56 AM
BSR didn’t quit, the parent company Vsporto quit which is causing BSR to die. From a business standpoint they were doomed. If I’m a podcaster, why in the blue hell do I sell advertising and share it with Vsporto when I can go direct to iTunes, stitcher, podbean, SoundCloud, youtube, etc... and keep everything? It was a traditional radio business plan in a non traditional space. Even when you look at the podcast giants, they don’t sell much advertising. They essentially use their audience’s purchasing power to generate money via affiliate programs. That and just how much can you say the same thing over and over. Repetitive programming killed them. The most successful sports podcast in MS, and it’s not close, is Neal’s and it’s for 1 reason (and it ain’t because everyone loves Neal): it’s bevause they talk OM 30% on most pods. They talk other schools, sports, pro sports, etc... If you want any kind of real audience you have to do more than pound MSU sports 24/7 365. There is only so much filler a normal person can endure. Somebody in the MSU community really needs to step up and do that kind of show independently. I hope Brian lands on his feet as well as everyone else associated with BSR and Vsporto.

Matty Dispatch
07-16-2018, 10:12 AM
There's no way in hell I want to listen to Steve or Brian or Matt or Brandon or any other MSU podcast personality talk about pro sports or other stuff. I want to hear MSU. Give me 20-30 minutes and get done. That's the whole point of the podcast world: to hear specific topics rather than listening to 3 hours of terrestrial radio to get that 20-30 minutes of talk about MSU.

confucius say
07-16-2018, 10:14 AM
Charge $10 a month to have access to all the BSR shows ad free. I bet you could get 1,000 people to subscribe. That's 10 grand a month, or 120 grand a year.

ShotgunDawg
07-16-2018, 10:15 AM
BSR didn’t quit, the parent company Vsporto quit which is causing BSR to die. From a business standpoint they were doomed. If I’m a podcaster, why in the blue hell do I sell advertising and share it with Vsporto when I can go direct to iTunes, stitcher, podbean, SoundCloud, youtube, etc... and keep everything? It was a traditional radio business plan in a non traditional space. Even when you look at the podcast giants, they don’t sell much advertising. They essentially use their audience’s purchasing power to generate money via affiliate programs. That and just how much can you say the same thing over and over. Repetitive programming killed them. The most successful sports podcast in MS, and it’s not close, is Neal’s and it’s for 1 reason (and it ain’t because everyone loves Neal): it’s bevause they talk OM 30% on most pods. They talk other schools, sports, pro sports, etc... If you want any kind of real audience you have to do more than pound MSU sports 24/7 365. There is only so much filler a normal person can endure. Somebody in the MSU community really needs to step up and do that kind of show independently. I hope Brian lands on his feet as well as everyone else associated with BSR and Vsporto.

But I don't think BSR had a listenership problem. Perhaps Vsporto did, but I always thought BSR was fairly healthy. Maybe I'm wrong but it seemed like getting people to listen wasn't their problem.

confucius say
07-16-2018, 10:15 AM
There's no way in hell I want to listen to Steve or Brian or Matt or Brandon or any other MSU podcast personality talk about pro sports or other stuff. I want to hear MSU. Give me 20-30 minutes and get done. That's the whole point of the podcast world: to hear specific topics rather than listening to 3 hours of terrestrial radio to get that 20-30 minutes of talk about MSU.

Agree fully

BHildreth3
07-16-2018, 10:21 AM
I want a system developed where I could log into a dashboard, and find all articles mentioning MSU, any keyword you want to save, along with audio clips mentioning State. It would nice if there would be a way to develop this so that you could login at the end of the day and not have to hunt for stuff on our programs.

BeastMan
07-16-2018, 10:24 AM

There isn’t 20-30 mins of daily MSU content available for 1 show much less 5+. It’s repitive and boring. It’s filler. If you can listen to 30 mins of MSU content a day, especially in the summer, you put the fanatic in fan.

BeastMan
07-16-2018, 10:26 AM
But I don't think BSR had a listenership problem. Perhaps Vsporto did, but I always thought BSR was fairly healthy. Maybe I'm wrong but it seemed like getting people to listen wasn't their problem.

BSR had the best listenership but the Vsporto guys were MS dudes. They knew more MSU and OM folks. All the other stations didn’t take off. And again, if I have a good pod that can sell ad time, why split it with anyone when I can upload direct to the same audience.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-16-2018, 10:29 AM
SEC county and VSporto gong done are pure coincidence. Brian said on Twitter he'd upload shows here https://soundcloud.com/user-739288948 starting tomorrow. Apparently Will Sammon is going to be covering Florida?? God I hate that school so much

BeastMan
07-16-2018, 10:29 AM
Charge $10 a month to have access to all the BSR shows ad free. I bet you could get 1,000 people to subscribe. That's 10 grand a month, or 120 grand a year.

Folks ain’t paying subscriptions for fan podcast. Not even pros, just fans. The biggest pod in the world, JRE, if he went behind a paywall tomorrow his show would crumble.

Matty Dispatch
07-16-2018, 10:30 AM
There isn’t 20-30 mins of daily MSU content available for 1 show much less 5+. It’s repitive and boring. It’s filler. If you can listen to 30 mins of MSU content a day, especially in the summer, you put the fanatic in fan.

That probably just depends on what you do for a living. I drive 1-2 hours per day. So I am subscribed to about 8 different podcasts.....2 are MSU. I am willing to listen to one podcast a day, or perhaps two, about MSU. There are plenty of topics you can do a deep dive into during the summer.....and endless topics while the sports are going on for the other 9-10 months of the year. I don't think anyone was listening to all 5 or 5 BSR shows. I think we all had our favorite show, and listened to that one. And then if there was time we listened to our favorite show. I'm not sure anyone ever actually listened to the Sky Dawgs - that was just there because they told Brian to have x number of shows on the channel, probably as the basis for a promise of content to the advertisers.

ShotgunDawg
07-16-2018, 10:30 AM
BSR had the best listenership but the Vsporto guys were MS dudes. They knew more MSU and OM folks. All the other stations didn’t take off. And again, if I have a good pod that can sell ad time, why split it with anyone when I can upload direct to the same audience.

I agree with your business model proposition. I was just arguing the point about how Neal's podcast is successful because he talks about different sports. My point was that BSR had a good listening audience & whatever they were doing from a content perspective was not the problem.

ShotgunDawg
07-16-2018, 10:32 AM
IT's ALIVE... IT's ALIVE. The Resurrection has begun

Brian Hadad

@brianhadad
24s25 seconds ago
More
Just spoke with @vsporto, at this time, the company is trying to move forward. They have offered me use of the BSR platform until everything is settled, so for now, you can expect your programs on the app and website.

BeastMan
07-16-2018, 10:39 AM
That probably just depends on what you do for a living. I drive 1-2 hours per day. So I am subscribed to about 8 different podcasts.....2 are MSU. I am willing to listen to one podcast a day, or perhaps two, about MSU. There are plenty of topics you can do a deep dive into during the summer.....and endless topics while the sports are going on for the other 9-10 months of the year. I don't think anyone was listening to all 5 or 5 BSR shows. I think we all had our favorite show, and listened to that one. And then if there was time we listened to our favorite show. I'm not sure anyone ever actually listened to the Sky Dawgs - that was just there because they told Brian to have x number of shows on the channel, probably as the basis for a promise of content to the advertisers.

Perhaps it does depend on the individual. That said, I’m listening to JRE, Pat Macafee, or Joey Diaz instead of a deep dive about our MLBs in July. There is literally nothing new to add there.

And let me disagree with you about show format. If Matt Wyatt does a pod and goes 30-50% MSU and then touches on big stories in other sports, it would be awesome.

BeastMan
07-16-2018, 10:41 AM
IT's ALIVE... IT's ALIVE. The Resurrection has begun

Brian Hadad

@brianhadad
24s25 seconds ago
More
Just spoke with @vsporto, at this time, the company is trying to move forward. They have offered me use of the BSR platform until everything is settled, so for now, you can expect your programs on the app and website.

Good for him. Gives him time to work out his long term plan

Matty Dispatch
07-16-2018, 10:57 AM
Perhaps it does depend on the individual. That said, I’m listening to JRE, Pat Macafee, or Joey Diaz instead of a deep dive about our MLBs in July. There is literally nothing new to add there.

And let me disagree with you about show format. If Matt Wyatt does a pod and goes 30-50% MSU and then touches on big stories in other sports, it would be awesome.

I'll conced that in the summer it's hard to persuade fans to listen to a breakdown of our MLBs. There's no sports going on so veering off topic is expected, but during the season I just don't want to hear it. I don't care about banter or their opinion on the NFL, best TV show or whatever. But I guess that's why there's more than one MSU podcast - everyone can listen to whatever style they want to. If it's me, I turn it off as soon as they go off topic....that's just not what I tuned in for. I'd rather turn on the Spotify app than hear about top wrestling duos.

BeastMan
07-16-2018, 11:02 AM
I'll conced that in the summer it's hard to persuade fans to listen to a breakdown of our MLBs. There's no sports going on so veering off topic is expected, but during the season I just don't want to hear it. I don't care about banter or their opinion on the NFL, best TV show or whatever. But I guess that's why there's more than one MSU podcast - everyone can listen to whatever style they want to. If it's me, I turn it off as soon as they go off topic....that's just not what I tuned in for. I'd rather turn on the Spotify app than hear about top wrestling duos.

Good post that I agree with but you kind of make my point. There has never been a MSU centric pod that covers everything else. It’s a small sample size but all we’ve had is all MSU all the time and nothing has really gotten big

Matty Dispatch
07-16-2018, 11:28 AM
Good post that I agree with but you kind of make my point. There has never been a MSU centric pod that covers everything else. It’s a small sample size but all we’ve had is all MSU all the time and nothing has really gotten big

There could be a place for that, but I think there's a lot more people who are listening to MSU podcast that think like me than you. If they did it, I think it would have to be organized. Like a section of the show, right after the hottest MSU story of the day, where they take 3 minutes PTI style to discuss the two or three biggest other stories in the world of sports. Then go back to MSU sports breaking down the top 10 best things sold at the concession stand during the Jackie Sherrill era.

BrunswickDawg
07-16-2018, 12:17 PM
There could be a place for that, but I think there's a lot more people who are listening to MSU podcast that think like me than you. If they did it, I think it would have to be organized. Like a section of the show, right after the hottest MSU story of the day, where they take 3 minutes PTI style to discuss the two or three biggest other stories in the world of sports. Then go back to MSU sports breaking down the top 10 best things sold at the concession stand during the Jackie Sherrill era.

Um - that needs no break down
#1A - for the brief time it was there - catfish on a stick
#1B - Chicken on a Stick
Everything else.

Can I get my podcast now?

Dawgbite
07-16-2018, 12:31 PM
I occasionally watch Finebaum on SEC network. His guest are sometimes pretty good. its when they go go to the caller portion of the show that it turns into the Bama- Burn redneck comedy hour.I would like to see the SEC Network feature other team oriented radio shows. Spend an hour a day featuring a rotation of each teams centric radio shows. How hard could it be? I would rather see whats going on in College Station or Columbia than listen to Jim from Tuscaloosa and Tammy argue over who is growing the best maters.

BeastMan
07-16-2018, 12:33 PM

Oh sure. You structure the show around MSU. Lead off with it. But then talk other stuff. Kinda of organic. Like 2 guys talking sports. Now there are times when you can and should go 100% MSU like the baseball run, women’s basketball run, and a some of football season.

msbulldog
07-16-2018, 12:35 PM
I going to miss Boneyard!

confucius say
07-16-2018, 12:45 PM
Folks ain’t paying subscriptions for fan podcast. Not even pros, just fans. The biggest pod in the world, JRE, if he went behind a paywall tomorrow his show would crumble.

I doubt BSR is making $10,000 a month in ad revenue.

You could easily get 1000 customers to pay $10 a month to get ad free access to all the BSR content. That would be roughly 60 shows per month for a total of $10.

Dawg2003
07-16-2018, 01:11 PM
Hadad's is the only one worth listening to consistently. I will admit that I liked the SkyDawgs too. The Boneyard could be good sometimes, but too often it devolved into Steve going on weird rants about Ole Miss.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-16-2018, 01:27 PM
Hadad's is the only one worth listening to consistently. I will admit that I liked the SkyDawgs too. The Boneyard could be good sometimes, but too often it devolved into Steve going on weird rants about Ole Miss.

Yeah I like Hadads show. I only listen to Steve when we got a new commit, or the title of the episode is recruiting based. Even then I fast forward and only listen to half. He has such a meandering way of talking, it just takes forever to get to the point and he thinks his random rabbit holes are just as interesting as the real content I. I tried listening to Jake Wim, but he is way too confident that his opinions are fact. Salee gets more hate than he deserves... yeah his opinions on how good team will be isn't always consistent, but he's smart and has interesting discussions on CFB in general. I don't get why people think he hates us

QuadrupleOption
07-16-2018, 01:34 PM

Or set up a Patreon so people can donate some amount (monthly or one-time) and just make the podcasts / youtube vids when there is something to talk about.

MaroonFlounder
07-16-2018, 05:13 PM
I'm not sure anyone ever actually listened to the Sky Dawgs - that was just there because they told Brian to have x number of shows on the channel.

I thought the Sky Dawgs were damn good. Both guys have radio-friendly voices and personalities. They are TV meteorologists by trade and covered some things the other pods wouldn?t cover much, like WBB and softball.

RocketDawg
07-16-2018, 08:25 PM
To complete the mass exodus of MSU media. I hope some of the podcasts continue on in some form.

Is it just MSU media, or university sports media in general? If just MSU, is it associated with our media department? Is Ole Miss affected in a similar manner?

Matty Dispatch
07-17-2018, 08:29 AM
Is it just MSU media, or university sports media in general? If just MSU, is it associated with our media department? Is Ole Miss affected in a similar manner?

Brandon Walker: SEC country closed it's doors having nothing to do with MSU, decision was made by their parent company
Matt Wyatt: decided to leave H2H on his own accord, having nothing to do with MSU. Perhaps a change for him to spend more time covering MSU?
Bob Carskadon: Left on his own accord because he'd been in Starkville all his life and was looking for a change - nothing to do with MSU
Robby Donoho: Left to become a high school teacher because he wanted a more traditional work life - nothing to do with MSU
Brian Hadad: BSR closing it's doors having nothing to do with MSU, direction made by parent company

ShotgunDawg
07-17-2018, 08:48 AM
Brandon Walker: SEC country closed it's doors having nothing to do with MSU, decision was made by their parent company
Matt Wyatt: decided to leave H2H on his own accord, having nothing to do with MSU. Perhaps a change for him to spend more time covering MSU?
Bob Carskadon: Left on his own accord because he'd been in Starkville all his life and was looking for a change - nothing to do with MSU
Robby Donoho: Left to become a high school teacher because he wanted a more traditional work life - nothing to do with MSU
Brian Hadad: BSR closing it's doors having nothing to do with MSU, direction made by parent company

Will Salmon left as well

Matty Dispatch
07-17-2018, 11:40 AM
Will Salmon left as well

I think we can be sure the beat writer position at CL pays virtually nothing. They replaced him with a guy fresh out of college if I'm not mistaken. So I'm sure he left for more money. Point being, none of the media shakeup has anything to do with MSU or how they are treated and everything to do with their personal career choices or their employer going out of business.

ShotgunDawg
07-17-2018, 11:43 AM
I think we can be sure the beat writer position at CL pays virtually nothing. They replaced him with a guy fresh out of college if I'm not mistaken. So I'm sure he left for more money. Point being, none of the media shakeup has anything to do with MSU or how they are treated and everything to do with their personal career choices or their employer going out of business.

I think I read in Salmon's Athletic job accepting post yesterday that he was making 28K at the CL. That's an internship

Matty Dispatch
07-17-2018, 11:50 AM
I think I read in Salmon's Athletic job accepting post yesterday that he was making 28K at the CL. That's an internship

Wow, that is embarrassing. There are people working at Starbucks making more than that.