PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Find SEC Media Days Interesting?

ShotgunDawg
07-15-2018, 10:15 AM
Seriously, I was scrolling through twitter this morning & saw how excited the media is about SEC Media Days &, other than the media getting to drink beer at night with their buddies, I'm not sure why.

I realize that SEC Media Days used to be a big deal because, after the sky writers era, it made sense to bring all the coaches & best players together in one place, but with the build of quality sports talk radio that interviews these guys frequently, the explosion of twitter & the internet, which offers more sport writers a platform from which to publish content, I'm not really sure what the purpose of SEC Media days are anymore. Seems to me that it's a ceremony that inevitably leads to group think & hyping up of non-essential narratives.

I view SEC Media Days as a completely useless coach speak media convention that serves no purpose.

Any thoughts?

Please tell me what I'm missing. I'd really like to be interested in it, but I can figure out why I should be

TUSK
07-15-2018, 10:21 AM
Seriously, I was scrolling through twitter this morning & saw how excited the media is about SEC Media Days &, other than the media getting to drink beer at night with their buddies, I'm not sure why.

I realize that SEC Media Days used to be a big deal because, after the sky writers era, it made sense to bring all the coaches & best players together in one place, but with the build of quality sports talk radio that interviews these guys frequently, the explosion of twitter & the internet, which offers more sport writers a platform from which to publish content, I'm not really sure what the purpose of SEC Media days are anymore. Seems to me that it's a ceremony that inevitably leads to group think & hyping up of non-essential narratives.

I view SEC Media Days as a completely useless coach speak media convention that serves no purpose.

Any thoughts?

Please tell me what I'm missing. I'd really like to be interested in it, but I can figure out why I should be

Only when a Rival Coach that resembles The Great Pumpkin refuses to attend to avoid a summons...

msstate7
07-15-2018, 10:24 AM
Page me when the games start... I'll be hanging on every pitch with the braves till then. No, I have never given a crap about sec media days

TUSK
07-15-2018, 10:26 AM
Page me when the games start... I'll be hanging on every pitch with the braves till then. No, I have never given a crap about sec media days

Hell, I'm gonna hit the "snooze button" til November...

sleepy dawg
07-15-2018, 10:56 AM

Any thoughts?

I agree. It means nothing. It's all coach speak. Most reporters won't ask tough questions and even if they do, we get no real direct answers.

maroonmania
07-15-2018, 10:57 AM
Usually a snooze fest with the same repeated "coach speak" phrases. It will be a little more interesting for us as MSU fans this year just because we really haven't heard Coach Moorhead speak at one of these type events. Its very unusual though that this event ever provides anyone that pays attention much of anything they didn't already know.

BulldogDX55
07-15-2018, 11:02 AM
It's the start of the new season in many people's minds. That's it. I tolerate it for that reason alone.

DownwardDawg
07-15-2018, 11:12 AM
I have zero interest in it.

TaleofTwoDogs
07-15-2018, 12:01 PM
Agree with Shotgun that it has become irrelevant. Kinda like an USM football game, relevant to only 10 people or so.*
The explosion of social media puts the sports world at your finger tips 24/7 so the coach speak coming from this big reporter cocktail party is not very fresh or exciting.

Dawgowar
07-15-2018, 12:18 PM

Any thoughts?

It's just the first official football related chance to sell commercials and newspapers. Scripted talk by coaches, more or less the same templates for reporting, ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

gravedigger
07-15-2018, 12:31 PM

Any thoughts?

I like it for two reasons.

1. Someone always gets pissy.
2. The rankings by the media prove every year why they really don?t get it.

ShotgunDawg
07-15-2018, 12:37 PM
I think Media Days was worth it when it was less commercialized.

When head coaches would walk through radio row & get on the radio with local guys, it was legit. Now, it's just an SEC Network interview party that lacks any substance.

dawgoneyall
07-15-2018, 01:02 PM
Wonder how many bammer fans show up at the Hyatt in Brimingham Wed.

ShotgunDawg
07-15-2018, 01:15 PM
Wonder how many bammer fans show up at the Hyatt in Brimingham Wed.

Hopefully the guy with the championship ring hat that the media has made a big deal out of 10 straight years.

Commercecomet24
07-16-2018, 02:54 PM
Only when a Rival Coach that resembles The Great Pumpkin refuses to attend to avoid a summons...

That's hilarious! Rep Given!

Hot Rock
07-16-2018, 04:17 PM
I guess I am alone in this. I enjoy it. I don't keep up much with other programs and it's a chance to hear a tidbit or two here and there. It's interesting to me, I don't sit around all day and watch it but it is worth a watch here and there.

Coach O was asked about changing OC's his first year at LSU just like he did at Mississippi and explain how that was different when he said he was changed. I got a laugh at the question even if his answer didn't really address it. Coach said he made a mistake and something along the lines it wasn't a good fit for LSU.

The announcers after the interview raked him over the coals saying things like: He never let Matt Cananda actually run his offense. Most gmes weren't Canada's gameplan. He put a LSU guy in place to do it like he wants it done. He still wants to coach and not delegate.

That's interesting stuff... to me.

ShotgunDawg
07-16-2018, 04:36 PM
Wolken is an ED fan I see

Dan Wolken

Verified account

@DanWolken
56s56 seconds ago
More
Lukewarm take: College football media days were really important before social media, specialty Web sites and 24-hour sports networks. Now, college football gets covered year round. They are antiquated and kinda useless.

Tbonewannabe
07-16-2018, 04:42 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TUSK again.

That does add some drama. I would also add Spurrier talking shit was also interesting.

Todd4State
07-16-2018, 04:49 PM
It's a big deal to the media because it's about the same to them as it is the American Occupational Therapy Convention would be to me. The difference is I understand why other people don't care about my convention and the media doesn't understand why people don't care about theirs.

Maybe someone will say something to piss off Saban but other than that it's a bunch of coachspeak and softball questions from people that think they are smarter sports people than everyone else because they write for a newspaper.

Goldendawg
07-16-2018, 05:13 PM
It's a big deal to the media because it's about the same to them as it is the American Occupational Therapy Convention would be to me. The difference is I understand why other people don't care about my convention and the media doesn't understand why people don't care about theirs.

Maybe someone will say something to piss off Saban but other than that it's a bunch of coachspeak and softball questions from people that think they are smarter sports people than everyone else because they write for a newspaper.

What's a newspaper?** BTW, not only too much coachspeak but also too much playerspeak. The KY RB trying to speak about himself in 3rd person and comparing himself to Hershel Walker was a joke. Also the commish even knowing the names of the "soap opera cast" of the Finebaum Show shows how the "SEC Network" should be renamed the "bama/Auburn network".

Todd4State
07-16-2018, 05:40 PM
What's a newspaper?** BTW, not only too much coachspeak but also too much playerspeak. The KY RB trying to speak about himself in 3rd person and comparing himself to Hershel Walker was a joke. Also the commish even knowing the names of the "soap opera cast" of the Finebaum Show shows how the "SEC Network" should be renamed the "bama/Auburn network".

I'd like the SEC Network so much more if it showed replays of old games and didn't have any Finebaum.

TUSK
07-16-2018, 06:26 PM
I'd like the SEC Network so much more if it showed replays of old games and didn't have any Finebaum.

this^

BB30
07-16-2018, 06:40 PM
I enjoy parts of it. I like the opportunity it provides for our players that go to get to experience something different. Really any college football this time of year is better than what is normally on the SEC network.

I like hearing what all of the new coaches in the league have to say even if it is mostly coach speak.

Other than that it’s a pretty useless time other than signaling the return of college football.

On another note I’m not a big fan of Sanky. Think the sec could have come up with someone better suited for the job.

biggun
07-16-2018, 07:10 PM

Any thoughts?

For me, media days serves as the unofficial start of the season which is always a good thing. Also, this year?s media days should be one to follow as a MSU fan as we should finally get some love & hype as having a damn good football team while TSUN is shit on, again, which is quite the combo!

AusTexDawg
07-16-2018, 07:28 PM
I have been DVRing the MSU day for several years, but that was just because most years I would be jonesing for anything football-related (and not recruiting related) by mid-July, especially after the 2015 baseball season. Typically, The Spurrier presentation was worth watching because he usually had a few zingers in there. The Robbie Caldwell press conference (https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/2010/7/22/1582429/2010-sec-media-days-vanderbilt)was the most entertaining one by far. I wish they would have brought him back just to see how deep into animal husbandry the discussion went in year 2.

Matty Dispatch
07-17-2018, 11:46 AM
I guess I am alone in this. I enjoy it. I don't keep up much with other programs and it's a chance to hear a tidbit or two here and there. It's interesting to me, I don't sit around all day and watch it but it is worth a watch here and there.

Coach O was asked about changing OC's his first year at LSU just like he did at Mississippi and explain how that was different when he said he was changed. I got a laugh at the question even if his answer didn't really address it. Coach said he made a mistake and something along the lines it wasn't a good fit for LSU.

The announcers after the interview raked him over the coals saying things like: He never let Matt Cananda actually run his offense. Most gmes weren't Canada's gameplan. He put a LSU guy in place to do it like he wants it done. He still wants to coach and not delegate.

That's interesting stuff... to me.

I agree with you about SEC Media Days. I already know everything I need to know about MSU, but not really the rest of the SEC. It's a chance to gain some more in-depth info / analysis about what's going on among the other teams. I'd rather watch media days to get caught up on all the offseason stories around the SEC than try to catch all those stories as they happen from January to June.