PDA

View Full Version : Braves

msstate7
07-15-2018, 09:28 AM
Since beginning of June, braves are 17-19. This slump is becoming pretty long. Won't lie... I'm worried.

Ender isn't in the lineup today with Acuna in CF and culberson in LF. Not feeling this... I get it that ender is struggling and a lhp on the mound. Acuna is pretty abysmal as a defender though. I saw his first game in pearl, and after 2 balls hit his way I knew he was not a CF. Bad angles on both... this has continued to his play in LF this season. Fangraphs has him at -2.3 def value in 42 games (-.05 per game). Matt kemp is at -4.3 in 91 games (-.05 per game). Acuna is Matt kemp level bad in LF.

shoeless joe
07-15-2018, 09:34 AM
All star break is definitely coming at a good time.

MetEdDawg
07-15-2018, 12:07 PM
Albies Acuna batting 1-2 in the lineup today. No Ender I believe today.

BoomBoom
07-15-2018, 12:24 PM
Since beginning of June, braves are 17-19. This slump is becoming pretty long. Won't lie... I'm worried.

Ender isn't in the lineup today with Acuna in CF and culberson in LF. Not feeling this... I get it that ender is struggling and a lhp on the mound. Acuna is pretty abysmal as a defender though. I saw his first game in pearl, and after 2 balls hit his way I knew he was not a CF. Bad angles on both... this has continued to his play in LF this season. Fangraphs has him at -2.3 def value in 42 games (-.05 per game). Matt kemp is at -4.3 in 91 games (-.05 per game). Acuna is Matt kemp level bad in LF.

In Biloxi I saw him misjudge balla but still get to them when others likely wouldnt have. CF is easier to play than the corners too (except requiring more speed) as the balls either break to your left or your right, usually. He has the speed, so I think he'll do well (though not GG caliber like EI), and Culbersons bat against LHP is a major upgrade over ender right now. Plus we dont have a SP caliber bat leading off against a LHP. Double upgrade.

msstate7
07-15-2018, 12:53 PM
I really wish snit could ditch the old idea that the leadoff hitter has to be a small, fast guy. Markakis should lead off. He has a .388 obp. Bat albies 2nd. Although FF and markakis hit lhp well, it will make it tougher on a manager late to go lhp with albies in between then.

Markakis
Albies
FF
Catcher
Acuna
Camargo
Ender
Swanson

msstate7
07-15-2018, 01:07 PM
First challenging play for Acuna, he broke in, and then had to go hard on a ball over his head. Probably doesn't catch it anyway, but I'm not confident in Acuna out there

msstate7
07-15-2018, 01:20 PM
Julio getting out of 1st and 2nd 0 outs may have sparked this team. Big inning

klong-dog
07-15-2018, 01:44 PM
Was glad to see Ender out of lineup. He's been painful to watch. Wouldn't have been any better against Corbin. Glad to see the shakeup. Even if it doesn't help much on D. Hopefully the ASB can help EI regroup.

shoeless joe
07-15-2018, 03:01 PM
I really wish snit could ditch the old idea that the leadoff hitter has to be a small, fast guy. Markakis should lead off. He has a .388 obp. Bat albies 2nd. Although FF and markakis hit lhp well, it will make it tougher on a manager late to go lhp with albies in between then.

Markakis
Albies
FF
Catcher
Acuna
Camargo
Ender
Swanson

Agree with this. No reason the keadoff guy has to be fast. Get on base and get knocked in.

MetEdDawg
07-15-2018, 03:01 PM
First challenging play for Acuna, he broke in, and then had to go hard on a ball over his head. Probably doesn't catch it anyway, but I'm not confident in Acuna out there

Acu?a is too cocky. I don't like his body language. He's getting owned right now. He might end up being all world but right now he doesn't add anything to the team. He's a big hole.

msstate7
07-15-2018, 03:06 PM
3 outs away from an absolute huge win. Marlins are beating Phillies, so could be .5 game out at break. Trade deadline coming up, and we need a LH reliever and a bat. I prefer a LH platoon 3b with camargo, moose.

msstate7
07-15-2018, 03:21 PM
Acuna with a nice jump on final out. Way to be a stopper, Julio.

shoeless joe
07-15-2018, 03:24 PM
Acu?a is too cocky. I don't like his body language. He's getting owned right now. He might end up being all world but right now he doesn't add anything to the team. He's a big hole.

You must not recall when Andrew first came up. Exactly the same. Hopefully it won't take acuna as long to figure that part out. He's got all the tools and is exciting. Not a coincidence that the team began to struggle once he went down.

MetEdDawg
07-15-2018, 04:45 PM
You must not recall when Andrew first came up. Exactly the same. Hopefully it won't take acuna as long to figure that part out. He's got all the tools and is exciting. Not a coincidence that the team began to struggle once he went down.

Oh no I remember. They actually have similar stats from their age 20 time. But this time just seems a little different. Not sure why. I'm sure he will be good but I'm just concerned a little that he's been so out of sorts since returning from injury.

MetEdDawg
07-15-2018, 04:55 PM
Good thing is that the Phillies lost today. So we go into the All Star break a half game out fo 1st place with the Nationals 5 games behind us. I have to imagine we all would have taken that before the season started. Question now is what moves do we make?

Looks like Machado is a no go. No game changers are SP unless we want Eovaldi whom I actually really like. What bullpen pieces do we add if any? I'm not convinced AA is gonna pull the trigger on anything big. Maybe a underwhelming reliever but I have a feeling they are going to play this tight and not go after anything big.

Really Clark?
07-15-2018, 05:45 PM

What? Acuna comes back right at the end of June and hasn’t hit and this has been a much worse stretch for the team since his return vs the month of June. That’s just incorrect

shoeless joe
07-15-2018, 10:19 PM
What? Acuna comes back right at the end of June and hasn’t hit and this has been a much worse stretch for the team since his return vs the month of June. That’s just incorrect

No...it's very correct. The teams record before he was hurt versus since he got hurt. You are correct that his return hasn't lit the world on fire although he did help get a W in New York.

Really Clark?
07-15-2018, 11:21 PM
No...it's very correct. The teams record before he was hurt versus since he got hurt. You are correct that his return hasn't lit the world on fire although he did help get a W in New York.

No. .560 win percentage in June while he was out vs .333 win percentage so far in July while he has been back. How is that win percentage better? And if you want compare May vs June....586 in May vs .560 in June which was .65 of a game difference between the May and June. And he is hitting .186 in July with a .548 OPS. For reference in May he hit .235 with a .677 OPS. He wasn’t putting up great numbers then either. I’m not saying he is the sole reason of this slump in July but he wasn’t the catalyst for May either and his being out in June did not change the wins/losses for the Atlanta. Basically the same team and as a team they averaged .5 runs more per game in June with him out than they did with him in May

Matty Dispatch
07-16-2018, 07:19 AM
Acuna is a microcosm of the Braves trade deadline dilemma. Stick with the youth for the promise of a bright future, or buy into the 2018 team and worry about the future later.

Acuna needs to keep playing to become a good MLB hitter. And long term, it's probably a good thing he's struggling - maybe he'll take some advise from Freddie and Markakis, although with the language barrier he's probably just playing tiddlywinks with Albies.

I say just play the season as is and see what happens. The Braves don't really have the top level starting pitching to expect a deep postseason run if they do get in. Hopefully that will come as Folty, Newcombe and Soroka mature. It's good to be in the mix this year and actually have a team that's fun to watch, but that should probably be the extent of it. 2019 and the years to follow look promising.

MetEdDawg
07-16-2018, 07:29 AM
Acuna is a microcosm of the Braves trade deadline dilemma. Stick with the youth for the promise of a bright future, or buy into the 2018 team and worry about the future later.

Acuna needs to keep playing to become a good MLB hitter. And long term, it's probably a good thing he's struggling - maybe he'll take some advise from Freddie and Markakis, although with the language barrier he's probably just playing tiddlywinks with Albies.

I say just play the season as is and see what happens. The Braves don't really have the top level starting pitching to expect a deep postseason run if they do get in. Hopefully that will come as Folty, Newcombe and Soroka mature. It's good to be in the mix this year and actually have a team that's fun to watch, but that should probably be the extent of it. 2019 and the years to follow look promising.

Here's the thing I like. Folty and Newcomb have top tier stuff. They just have to work on consistency. Teheran has pitched like a solid 2 recently. They all have good enough stuff but it is a waiting game.

I would probably be fine if we only got controllable bullpen help this trade deadline. The hitting is a function of time and just waiting on the right pieces. We need to upgrade at catcher. Camargo is good enough at 3B for now. Swanson is getting more comfortable. Ender and Acu?a will hopefully get out of their funk from the break. The team can hit well enough for this year to make the playoffs. But an Eovaldi and a couple bullpen arms will give us a shot to get to the playoffs this year without giving up a ton.

msstate7
07-16-2018, 07:39 AM
Asdrubal Cabrera and jerry Blevins would be good pick ups for the braves from the Mets. Both are in last year of their contract.

Cabrera (3b, SS, 2b) = .281/.334/.490

Blevins' numbers don't look good, but he's starting to K guys more like his career avg (11.3 k9 in last 10 appearances). I think he would be a good acquisition.

Best thing about these 2 is they would be pretty cheap. I think wisler and sims could probably get them.

Tbonewannabe
07-16-2018, 08:05 AM
Here's the thing I like. Folty and Newcomb have top tier stuff. They just have to work on consistency. Teheran has pitched like a solid 2 recently. They all have good enough stuff but it is a waiting game.

I would probably be fine if we only got controllable bullpen help this trade deadline. The hitting is a function of time and just waiting on the right pieces. We need to upgrade at catcher. Camargo is good enough at 3B for now. Swanson is getting more comfortable. Ender and Acu?a will hopefully get out of their funk from the break. The team can hit well enough for this year to make the playoffs. But an Eovaldi and a couple bullpen arms will give us a shot to get to the playoffs this year without giving up a ton.

I wouldn't pay for a rental this year since a deep run is very unlikely. It would be great to get these guys some postseason experience but not at the cost of the future. If they got someone that they would have going into the next year or two then it might be worth trading someone (no high value guys).

Really Clark?
07-16-2018, 08:22 AM
I wouldn't pay for a rental this year since a deep run is very unlikely. It would be great to get these guys some postseason experience but not at the cost of the future. If they got someone that they would have going into the next year or two then it might be worth trading someone (no high value guys).

Getting someone controllable for 1 or 2 more years (that actually have value and would help) is going to cost you someone of high value. Unless it’s a salary dump situation with a bad contract and they are not looking to take that on.

shoeless joe
07-16-2018, 09:27 AM
I'm going to disagree with several posts here. I think getting to the playoffs is going to be a struggle for this team BUT if they make it they could be dangerous and starting pitching is why. Folty, Newcombe, Teheran is a scary rotation in postseason because of the potential. Now they could blow up and be 3 and out but this team actually has the type of arms that play in postseason. Consistency has been the issue which hurts more over the course of the season. If the arms can figure it out late and find a way to get to October they could make a little noise. Which is why I'd like to see them get some pen help and that be the end of it. Maybe a cheap starter but if gohara can come up mid August and provide a spark to go with Sanchez and the other 3 there could be some good days. Some growin pains too but it should be a case of whether inning fatigue or newfound experience takes over.

Tbonewannabe
07-16-2018, 09:55 AM
Getting someone controllable for 1 or 2 more years (that actually have value and would help) is going to cost you someone of high value. Unless it’s a salary dump situation with a bad contract and they are not looking to take that on.

I basically meant I don't think they should use someone of high value this year unless they are looking at 2019 or 2020. If they can get a cheap rental to make a run at the playoffs this year sure but I think next year will be when they are in serious contention.

Really Clark?
07-16-2018, 10:09 AM
I basically meant I don't think they should use someone of high value this year unless they are looking at 2019 or 2020. If they can get a cheap rental to make a run at the playoffs this year sure but I think next year will be when they are in serious contention.

Gotcha. Yeah that makes sense

BrunswickDawg
07-16-2018, 10:22 AM

Yeah - I think this is the right approach. There is so much talent on the cusp right now, I'd hate to give up anyone. Seems like every time the Braves have done that in the past - going all the way back to Butler & Jacoby for Len Barker - that it has blown up. I'd hate to give up a Riley or a Tousannt for someone around for 2 seasons.

Tbonewannabe
07-16-2018, 12:56 PM
Yeah - I think this is the right approach. There is so much talent on the cusp right now, I'd hate to give up anyone. Seems like every time the Braves have done that in the past - going all the way back to Butler & Jacoby for Len Barker - that it has blown up. I'd hate to give up a Riley or a Tousannt for someone around for 2 seasons.

Yep, look at the Yankees now. They now have Gleyber Torres locked up for a while for loaning Chapman for the end of the year. The Cubs got a World Series out of it so it was a great trade but if they hadn't won it all then talk about a kick to the balls. Torres is an Allstar level 2nd baseman in his rookie year.

Tbonewannabe
07-16-2018, 12:57 PM

Does Riley get called up this year? I haven't kept up with him in AAA.

msstate7
07-16-2018, 01:00 PM
Does Riley get called up this year? I haven't kept up with him in AAA.

Just got back from injury. He's hitting ok at AAA (.763 ops), but his k rate is bad, 30.1%. I kinda doubt we see him this year unless we have an injury at 3b

BoomBoom
07-16-2018, 08:28 PM
Just got back from injury. He's hitting ok at AAA (.763 ops), but his k rate is bad, 30.1%. I kinda doubt we see him this year unless we have an injury at 3b

September callup I would.think. maybe sooner if he gets hot. Maybe they sit him the first couple weeks of april, but I don't get that vibe.

msstate7
07-16-2018, 08:48 PM
Well boys, championship is in sight...

AA signed Fernando salas and lane Adams to minor league deals.

msstate7
07-17-2018, 04:12 PM
I know some of you read/post at chop country. Anyone know what's up with the site?