PDA

View Full Version : 2019 MSU FB Losing Season...

Doggie_Style
07-14-2018, 08:18 PM
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/predicting-when-every-sec-team-will-suffer-next-losing-season/

Everyone knows we lose significant players to the NFL after this season but I?m not buying the losing season predicted by the BS article...

Bothrops
07-14-2018, 08:33 PM
SDS is the worst

RocketDawg
07-14-2018, 08:34 PM
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/predicting-when-every-sec-team-will-suffer-next-losing-season/

Everyone knows we lose significant players to the NFL after this season but I?m not buying the losing season predicted by the BS article...

The writer likes Dan almost as much as he likes Saban: Florida's next losing season - 2 years after Dan Mullen retires.

PCHSDawg
07-14-2018, 08:35 PM
Need to treat them like the clarion liar and quit linking to their site. I hate I gave them the click.

Liverpooldawg
07-14-2018, 08:48 PM
SDS is a Rebel mouthpiece. Y'all never learn.

WSOPdawg
07-14-2018, 08:51 PM
SDS is a Rebel mouthpiece. Y'all never learn.

If you're a fan of Mississippi State, SDS should never be given mouse clicks.

99jc
07-14-2018, 09:15 PM
Article was not that bad..........one thing that stood out was this on Tennessee.......

It’s unbelievable to think that Tennessee has had more losing seasons in the past 10 years than every other SEC school except Vanderbilt and Kentucky. Last year was rock bottom, the first time the program lost 8 games in a season.

Tennessee is a 17ing dumpster fire for sure.

ShotgunDawg
07-14-2018, 09:31 PM
I think we win at least 6 in 2019

4 non-con games with Kansas State at home.
1 Ole Miss at home with a garbage ass team. They lose everyone
1 Kentucky at home.

@ Arkansas - toss up. I think they'll be slightly better in the 2nd year of Morris

Todd4State
07-14-2018, 09:41 PM
I disagree. We won't return as much because it's almost unheard of for a team to return as much as we are this season. We drop Florida for Tennessee who will probably be rebuilding and we get K-State in Starkville. ULL in NOLA will be a de facto 8th home game for us.

QB- Key
RB- Kylin and probably Emery (Yeah, I said it)
WR- Guidry if he doesn't go pro (Yeah, I said that too)
WR- Austin Williams
WR- Whop
Slot- Dannis Jackson
TE- Farrod Green
ATH- Dear

LT- Eiland
LG- Williams
C- Story? Too soon to call.
RG- Reese
RT- Dolla Bill?

Champion and Phillips will be seniors and they'll have a say.

DE- Spencer
DT- Kobe Jones
DT- Lee Autry? Fletcher Adams?
DE- Rivers- I can't see him going pro backing up Sweat and Green. Maybe I'm wrong.

Then we are have Fabien Lovett, Aaron Odom, Devon Robinson plus the group of 4 star guys like Pickering, Demonte Russell, Charles Moore, and Ani. Definitely a more inexperienced group but a lot of talent.

LB- Erroll
LB- Leo
LB- Gay

Good group of linebackers and we'll see how recruiting goes. I like Jett Johnson and Aaron Brule

CB- Dantzler
CB- Tyler Williams?
S- Marcus Murphy
S- Jarrian Jones
Nickel- Brian Cole if he doesn't go pro.

K- Jace Christmann
P- Whoever wins the punting battle this year between Day and Schexnayder
KR- Mixon
KR- Deddrick

Overall to me it looks like a younger group but with a lot of talent and some potentially special players. A lot of these players will get experience this year too- and I probably will feel even better about this group at this time next year. I'd guess the floor is 8 wins and the ceiling is maybe 11 wins with that group as well. I'm not sure how much A&M, Arkansas, and Tennessee will improve between this point and 2019 and LSU could conceivably have a new coach and probation will start to really be at it's peak at Ole Miss next year. But this is where I see 2019 as of now which is way too early to know a lot of things.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-14-2018, 10:04 PM
Yeah Todd, I don't see a whole lot of dropoff. I think 2019 is an 8-4 team. The OL recruiting problems won't appear till 2020, Key and Hill will keep the running and passing game from dropping off. We'll probably be better at WR next year than this one too. I'd say next years' O is top 5 to 3 in the league.

Defensively, the safeties will take a step back but should be ok. Corners will be better. LB should be better with the experience gained, even if Leo goes pro. DL will get ravaged, but we'll have really solid DE play with Rivers, Adams, Kobe Jones, and Spencer. Autry would be the only DT though, even if someone steps up that would be the weakest part of the defense. Id say overall we'll be at worst 9th, at best 6th on that side of the ball.

Special teams will be good.

Overall, I think we'll be the 7th-9th best team in the conference, finish 8-4. OM will be hot garbage after these WR's and QB go, Arky still won't have as much talent and Chavis is just mailing it in at this point. Kentucky is Kentucky. I see 3-5 or maybe 4-4. KState is going downhill (Snider has lost his edge), and i think we take them at home next year. Overall record 7-5/8-4 in our "rebuilding" year, though OL may cause 2020 to be worse than it should be

Homedawg
07-14-2018, 10:22 PM
Yeah Todd, I don't see a whole lot of dropoff. I think 2019 is an 8-4 team. The OL recruiting problems won't appear till 2020, Key and Hill will keep the running and passing game from dropping off. We'll probably be better at WR next year than this one too. I'd say next years' O is top 5 to 3 in the league.

Defensively, the safeties will take a step back but should be ok. Corners will be better. LB should be better with the experience gained, even if Leo goes pro. DL will get ravaged, but we'll have really solid DE play with Rivers, Adams, Kobe Jones, and Spencer. Autry would be the only DT though, even if someone steps up that would be the weakest part of the defense. Id say overall we'll be at worst 9th, at best 6th on that side of the ball.

Overall, I think we'll be the 7th-9th best team in the conference, finish 8-4. OM will be hot garbage after these WR's and QB go, Arky still won't have as much talent and Chavis is just mailing it in at this point. Kentucky is Kentucky. I see 3-5 or maybe 4-4. KState is going downhill (Snider has lost his edge), and i think we take them at home next year. Overall record 7-5/8-4 in our "rebuilding" year, though OL may cause 2020 to be worse than it should be

Don’t see much of a drop off?? On offense I’ll buy. On defense. Huge huge sell. You don’t lose what we lose up front on defense (not named Bama) and also get raped at safety. We will be putting talented fr in the field at dL but they still will be fr.

ShotgunDawg
07-14-2018, 10:25 PM
Don’t see much of a drop off?? On offense I’ll buy. On defense. Huge huge sell. You don’t lose what we lose up front on defense (not named Bama) and also get raped at safety. We will be putting talented fr in the field at dL but they still will be fr.

This

We'll take a slight step back but we'll be building again for 2020.

Todd4State
07-14-2018, 11:35 PM

As far as the safeties go- I like that fact that Shoop will be the one coaching them. That may help some.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-14-2018, 11:57 PM
By "I don't see much of a drop off" I mean going from 10-2 to 8-4. Shotgun calls it a "slight step back" which is the same.

As far as safety goes, no we do not get "raped". Abrams and McLaurin are gone, but the rest of the depth chart returns. We will be worse for sure, but there will still be plenty of guys who've been in the system , and when you consider the overall improvement at CB from this to next year the secondary as a whole won't be much worse. LB will be better. DL will need a few Fr at DT, but DE will have Spencer, Adams, Jones, and most likely Rivers. That's a really good unit. We won't be monsters up front like this year but it's a better DL than 5-7 SEC teams have. It will be year 2 under Shoop so the roster should know the system pretty well and there shouldn't be too many missed assignments.

OL won't be much worse (3/5 starters return, + Story, Dolla Bill, Tyre, and Champion), QB and RB won't be worse, and WRs will be as good if not better. TE can only get better between Green returning and the talented youth.

Kickers will return.

So yes we lose a lot of talent at DL, and the starters at S... but we have enough depth to still be ok at DE, and all the 2nd string secondary guys this year will gain experience and be ready for '19. We loose 3 guys that will play this year from the secondary rotation, same as last year to this one. DT is the big step down. Overall, I see the O and ST being the same with the D dropping from top 10 to 35th or so nationally. Remember, except for Tennessee, Shoop had 3 mid 20s Ds at Vandy... if he could do it consistently there, he should be able to do it with our talent. Overall, I see us dropping 2 more games than this year, and finish ranked in the 20s

BiscuitEater
07-15-2018, 08:42 AM
Article was interesting but State needed some caveats .. '08 was Croom's last year & '09 was Dan's first. Throw those out and we have had ONE losing season in last 10.

AND, that ONE season we went to and won a bowl game.

Ari Gold
07-15-2018, 09:01 AM
The offense will be as good or better
The defense will for sure take a hit , lots of names will be called at the draft, but there will be talent on defense just young.

And everyone is leaving off a name on the defense of the future.
James Jackson has a chance to be an All Sec type player . Just wait. I think he sees PT this year
We are going to have lots of depth up front on defense next year just going to be young
The backend to me is the question mark. Lots of those questions will Get answered this year. CJ Morgan , Landrews, Murphy need to give us some good production .

So Chris Wright wanna bet we win 7plus next year ? Hope Mullen got his 10% commission for the article

Bdawg
07-15-2018, 09:22 AM
I disagree. We won't return as much because it's almost unheard of for a team to return as much as we are this season. We drop Florida for Tennessee who will probably be rebuilding and we get K-State in Starkville. ULL in NOLA will be a de facto 8th home game for us.

QB- Key
WR- Austin Williams
WR- Whop
Slot- Dannis Jackson
TE- Farrod Green
ATH- Dear

LT- Eiland
LG- Williams
RG- Reese
RT- Dolla Bill?

DE- Spencer
DT- Kobe Jones
DE- Rivers- I can't see him going pro backing up Sweat and Green. Maybe I'm wrong.

Then we are have Fabien Lovett, Aaron Odom, Devon Robinson plus the group of 4 star guys like Pickering, Demonte Russell, Charles Moore, and Ani. Definitely a more inexperienced group but a lot of talent.

LB- Erroll
LB- Leo
LB- Gay

Good group of linebackers and we'll see how recruiting goes. I like Jett Johnson and Aaron Brule

CB- Dantzler
CB- Tyler Williams?
S- Marcus Murphy
S- Jarrian Jones

K- Jace Christmann
KR- Mixon
KR- Deddrick

Overall to me it looks like a younger group but with a lot of talent and some potentially special players. A lot of these players will get experience this year too- and I probably will feel even better about this group at this time next year. I'd guess the floor is 8 wins and the ceiling is maybe 11 wins with that group as well. I'm not sure how much A&M, Arkansas, and Tennessee will improve between this point and 2019 and LSU could conceivably have a new coach and probation will start to really be at it's peak at Ole Miss next year. But this is where I see 2019 as of now which is way too early to know a lot of things.
I like the analysis. Lot of talent there. Also I hope we can play some freshman this year and get some experience in four games with the new rules.

msbulldog
07-15-2018, 11:24 AM
The offense will be as good or better
The defense will for sure take a hit , lots of names will be called at the draft, but there will be talent on defense just young.

And everyone is leaving off a name on the defense of the future.
James Jackson has a chance to be an All Sec type player . Just wait. I think he sees PT this year
We are going to have lots of depth up front on defense next year just going to be young
The backend to me is the question mark. Lots of those questions will Get answered this year. CJ Morgan , Landrews, Murphy need to give us some good production .

So Chris Wright wanna bet we win 7plus next year ? Hope Mullen got his 10% commission for the article

Those young guys will get reps and experience this year like Eiland did last year.

Bothrops
07-15-2018, 01:15 PM
2019 will not be a losing season by any stretch of the sane imagination.

Homedawg
07-15-2018, 01:16 PM
By "I don't see much of a drop off" I mean going from 10-2 to 8-4. Shotgun calls it a "slight step back" which is the same.

As far as safety goes, no we do not get "raped". Abrams and McLaurin are gone, but the rest of the depth chart returns. We will be worse for sure, but there will still be plenty of guys who've been in the system , and when you consider the overall improvement at CB from this to next year the secondary as a whole won't be much worse. LB will be better. DL will need a few Fr at DT, but DE will have Spencer, Adams, Jones, and most likely Rivers. That's a really good unit. We won't be monsters up front like this year but it's a better DL than 5-7 SEC teams have. It will be year 2 under Shoop so the roster should know the system pretty well and there shouldn't be too many missed assignments.

OL won't be much worse (3/5 starters return, + Story, Dolla Bill, Tyre, and Champion), QB and RB won't be worse, and WRs will be as good if not better. TE can only get better between Green returning and the talented youth.

Kickers will return.

So yes we lose a lot of talent at DL, and the starters at S... but we have enough depth to still be ok at DE, and all the 2nd string secondary guys this year will gain experience and be ready for '19. We loose 3 guys that will play this year from the secondary rotation, same as last year to this one. DT is the big step down. Overall, I see the O and ST being the same with the D dropping from top 10 to 35th or so nationally. Remember, except for Tennessee, Shoop had 3 mid 20s Ds at Vandy... if he could do it consistently there, he should be able to do it with our talent. Overall, I see us dropping 2 more games than this year, and finish ranked in the 20s

Yeah we do get raped at safety. Mclaurin is an all sec player. Abrams is really good. Who cares if the entire depth chart returns behind them if they aren’t good. I’m sorry but if you can’t see that our d will take a big step back I can’t help you. Take off the maroon glasses for just a minute.

Homedawg
07-15-2018, 01:17 PM
Those young guys will get reps and experience this year like Eiland did last year.

Who is going to play this year? Lovett? Maybe. But that’s it.

Homedawg
07-15-2018, 01:18 PM

Who is going to play this year? Lovett? Maybe. But that?s it.

biggun
07-15-2018, 01:52 PM

But they did predict a 10 win season for us this year, just saying

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-15-2018, 05:18 PM
Yeah we do get raped at safety. Mclaurin is an all sec player. Abrams is really good. Who cares if the entire depth chart returns behind them if they aren?t good. I?m sorry but if you can?t see that our d will take a big step back I can?t help you. Take off the maroon glasses for just a minute.

I feel like you're ignoring all my points. You don't mention the fact LB and CB will be better, nor do you acknowledge that DE will be fine. I agree that the depth chart doesn't matter if the backups suck... but you have 0 reason to suspect that Landrews, Guidry, Brule, and Murphy can't replace the 2 S we lose. You're assuming they all suck but that's based on nothing. DT is far more pressing, as pepth is even more important and it's really hard for young guys to be physically ready to play (relative to S of course).

Look, I'm not saying that the D wont' take a step back. I think we'll be top 10 this year and top 30-35 next year. I'm predicting quite a decent drop on D. However, 35th is still middle of the pack in the SEC and the O shouldn't miss a beat. We won't be complete enough to challenge Bama but 4-4 is a good possibility.

Homedawg
07-15-2018, 11:22 PM
I feel like you're ignoring all my points. You don't mention the fact LB and CB will be better, nor do you acknowledge that DE will be fine. I agree that the depth chart doesn't matter if the backups suck... but you have 0 reason to suspect that Landrews, Guidry, Brule, and Murphy can't replace the 2 S we lose. You're assuming they all suck but that's based on nothing. DT is far more pressing, as pepth is even more important and it's really hard for young guys to be physically ready to play (relative to S of course).

Look, I'm not saying that the D wont' take a step back. I think we'll be top 10 this year and top 30-35 next year. I'm predicting quite a decent drop on D. However, 35th is still middle of the pack in the SEC and the O shouldn't miss a beat. We won't be complete enough to challenge Bama but 4-4 is a good possibility.

De will be fine? So losing the best pass rushing de in the league we will be fine? Hmm. So dT isn’t important? We will be starting fr there. Talented ones but fr. If we are good in 19 it will be because of the offense can score like crazy... huge drop in defense. Period

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-15-2018, 11:52 PM
De will be fine? So losing the best pass rushing de in the league we will be fine? Hmm. So dT isn’t important? We will be starting fr there. Talented ones but fr. If we are good in 19 it will be because of the offense can score like crazy... huge drop in defense. Period

I just don't get why you're so adamant about this, yet have nothing new to bring. Safety will suck because the starters are gone and the backups are way worse even though we haven't seen them play... DE will be trash because Sweat is leaving, even though Adams, Jones, and Rivers are a top 5-6 SEC DE rotation... DT will be young so the improvement from LB and CB won't matter... Again, I'm not saying next year will be as good as this year. I've already given my guess for what the D will rank. I just don't get why you're so adamant they will suck. Your "offense can score like crazy" statemtn makes it seem like you think we'll be OM

So, if my top 35 D 8-4 prediction is crazy, what do you call reasonable?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-16-2018, 09:09 AM

QB- Key
WR- Austin Williams
WR- Whop
Slot- Dannis Jackson
TE- Farrod Green
ATH- Dear

LT- Eiland
LG- Williams
RG- Reese
RT- Dolla Bill?

DE- Spencer
DT- Kobe Jones

LB- Erroll
LB- Leo
LB- Gay

CB- Dantzler
CB- Tyler Williams?
S- Marcus Murphy
S- Jarrian Jones

K- Jace Christmann
KR- Mixon
KR- Deddrick

May want to rethink Dannis Jackson.

ShotgunDawg
07-16-2018, 09:21 AM

He's still an MSU commit.

Does that stick? IDK, but neither do you

MarketingBully
07-16-2018, 02:02 PM
I just don't get why you're so adamant about this, yet have nothing new to bring. Safety will suck because the starters are gone and the backups are way worse even though we haven't seen them play... DE will be trash because Sweat is leaving, even though Adams, Jones, and Rivers are a top 5-6 SEC DE rotation... DT will be young so the improvement from LB and CB won't matter... Again, I'm not saying next year will be as good as this year. I've already given my guess for what the D will rank. I just don't get why you're so adamant they will suck. Your "offense can score like crazy" statemtn makes it seem like you think we'll be OM

I like your analysis. I think 10-2 this year and 8-4 next year.

Jack Lambert
07-16-2018, 03:30 PM
I like your analysis. I think 10-2 this year and 8-4 next year.

If coach Joe is as smart as anyone who played for him or worked for him say, he will figure out a way to win a few games we are predicted to lose.

Bothrops
07-16-2018, 04:13 PM

Why would he go anywhere else? We'd play him more than pretty much anyone.

Homedawg
07-16-2018, 10:51 PM

I didn't say you were crazy. I said our offense could be really good. But our defense will have a huge fall off. The chance of a losing season is possible. So the writer didn't say something outlandish. Defense wins championships, but offense can win you some games against avg teams. If we go to a bowl in 19 I'd be happy. 8-4 and I'd be estatic. This league is unforgiving. Oh and it's possible rivers isn't here for 19. He's legit and might declare. While his body makes him a day 2 or 3 pick, he's a 4 year guy now and gonna be ready to bolt. As for Adams and jones, nice players. Glad we have em, but you need two deep in this league and they aren't stars just good players. Simmons is a star. And he won't be here next year. Ditto for sweat. We can agree to Disagree and follow up w this next year. Hope you are right..... with all that said, this might be the most talented MSU team ever when you factor in both sides of the ball, and nobody in their right mind would say 10 wins is a given. 8 is possible. Even as low as 7 w a bad injury or two. Get lucky and maybe win 11. But I'm not holding my breath either. Good back and forth though, again, hope you are right on 19 and wrong on 18, hope we won em all this year. One can hope.

dawgs
07-16-2018, 11:03 PM
SDS is Facebook clickbait shit.

Plus if someone was to guesstimate the next losing season for MSU, next year would make sense. Do you expect them to say we won't have a losing season as long as Moorhead is around? That's bold to say about a guy who has never been a FBS HC at a program with 3 losing seasons over the best decade of the program's history.

But yeah, this is speculative BS clickbait.