PDA

View Full Version : Pitching Coach?????????????????????????????

MSU338
07-12-2018, 03:14 PM
What in the world can be going on with MSU taking so long to hire a pitching coach? You would figure Cohen and Lemonis both had a short list of candidates. I have come to realize that Cohen is awful at hiring and our baseball program is either not what I thought it was or NO ONE wants to work under Cohen. We must be on the very bottom of their list to take this long. Lemonis might turn out great, but from the hype of the coaching buzz from Cohen, it seems like no one wants to come to Starkville these days. I am fully expecting a underwhelming pitching coach hire. Or Gary Henderson which would be even worse. Hurry the HELL up Cohen

Bully13
07-12-2018, 03:19 PM
Fo Realz. Tired of waiting on this and Stewart.

Big4Dawg
07-12-2018, 03:32 PM
I agree. What could we be waiting for?

BHildreth3
07-12-2018, 03:35 PM
You can throw millions at someone, but at the end of the day, is it a location thing? Do you want to leave a big city to live in Starkville? I think this actually hurts us more than we realize.

maroonmania
07-12-2018, 03:35 PM
Fo Realz. Tired of waiting on this and Stewart.

Well I would be surprised if Stewart made a final decision before he sees who his pitching coach would be at MSU.

Tbonewannabe
07-12-2018, 03:37 PM
I wouldn't like the Gary Henderson hire purely from the possible turmoil it could cause. Could you imagine the second guessing that would go on especially since Henderson came out and said he wanted the job? I also thought our pitching development could have been better last year. It could have been from Henderson having to pull double duty but who knows.

maroonmania
07-12-2018, 03:37 PM
You can throw millions at someone, but at the end of the day, I can always come down to this? Do you want to leave a big city to live in Starkville? I think this actually hurts us more than we realize.

Uh, there are lots of colleges NOT located in big cities. Whatever the issues, I doubt this is a major one for most coaches.

Tbonewannabe
07-12-2018, 03:38 PM
Well I would be surprised if Stewart made a final decision before he sees who his pitching coach would be at MSU.

And you can't blame him either.

Tbonewannabe
07-12-2018, 03:40 PM
You can throw millions at someone, but at the end of the day, is it a location thing? Do you want to leave a big city to live in Starkville? I think this actually hurts us more than we realize.

Baseball is kind of weird in the fact that there is a lot more loyalty than other coaching professions. You don't see that many guys bouncing around to different schools just getting raises.

Offshore Dawg
07-12-2018, 03:46 PM
Patience "grasshopper", the planets must align first.

Matty Dispatch
07-12-2018, 03:51 PM
Cohen better hurry up because there's like 87 over-zealous MSU fans that are dying to know who it's gonna be. I mean, Cohen is such a moron. Look at the two idiots he's hired: neither one has won a single game yet and all they've done is bring in some of the best recruits we've ever had in their respective sports. What are we now, Ole Miss? It's getting ridiculous. If we don't have a pitching coach named before the ides of July I'm pretty sure we aren't going to win 10 SEC games next spring.

Todd4State
07-12-2018, 04:32 PM
The only thing Cohen has done wrong is talk up the candidates before he made an actual hire. That worried me because there is a lot that can go wrong. Say that we're going to get the best candidate is fine. Saying we're going to get a hall of fame CWS coach is not the best idea. Even if you do have one.

Not sure about the pitching coach hire. But Cohen himself hasn't been talking that up at least. I wouldn't be surprised if we have one by the end of the week or early next week. And I'm sure it won't be Henderson.

Cooterpoot
07-12-2018, 04:36 PM
The only way it's Henderson is if everyone turns us down. Say what you want, but our search for baseball coaches has been less that fantastic. At least the handling of it all.

Dawg2003
07-12-2018, 05:03 PM
The only thing that Cohen messed up was saying what he did about hiring some elite coach. Was that dumb? Yes, and he probably regrets it. Is it really that big of a deal in the long run? No. If that’s the worst Cohen ever does, I’ll take it. All of the other stuff people are saying looks bad is speculation or based on stuff Kendall Rogers tweeted. I doubt anyone outside these message boards thinks Cohen looks bad.

preachermatt83
07-12-2018, 05:03 PM

I really wouldn’t expect Stewart to be a bulldog.

preachermatt83
07-12-2018, 05:05 PM
Lemo specifically said he would not rush this hire. Stop worrying. It will be a good hire. As long as it’s not henderson I’ll be happy. Lol

Bully13
07-12-2018, 05:08 PM
I really wouldn’t expect Stewart to be a bulldog.

Stewart to State!!! Done Deal Now!! Thanks Preach! LOL

preachermatt83
07-12-2018, 05:10 PM
Stewart to State!!! Done Deal Now!! Thanks Preach! LOL

Lol, I was right about Ginn. Sadly I think I’m gonna be right about Stewart as well.

Homedawg
07-12-2018, 05:35 PM
Lol, I was right about Ginn. Sadly I think I’m gonna be right about Stewart as well.

I agree

MarketingBully
07-12-2018, 05:45 PM

If he was going JUCO, why wouldn’t he already of decided? The only thing that seems to be holding him up from going JUCO is us hiring a pitching coach. This means he’s at least thinking of going the college baseball route. The longer he waits I think the better it is for us.

msbulldog
07-12-2018, 06:05 PM
Cohen better hurry up because there's like 87 over-zealous MSU fans that are dying to know who it's gonna be. I mean, Cohen is such a moron. Look at the two idiots he's hired: neither one has won a single game yet and all they've done is bring in some of the best recruits we've ever had in their respective sports. What are we now, Ole Miss? It's getting ridiculous. If we don't have a pitching coach named before the ides of July I'm pretty sure we aren't going to win 10 SEC games next spring.

HaHaHa! Sometimes you have to laugh at yourself! Rep given!

Saltydog
07-12-2018, 07:35 PM
NT

DawgFromOxford
07-12-2018, 11:46 PM
I have come to realize that Cohen is awful at hiring.

Since you just joined in June I'll just assume you've missed all the other hires Cohen has made since he's been in charge. **
Back off the ledge a little bit

3rdGen
07-13-2018, 07:35 AM
What in the world can be going on with MSU taking so long to hire a pitching coach? You would figure Cohen and Lemonis both had a short list of candidates.

Been wanting to post this same thing for a while now but held off ........ glad you did!

MSU338
07-13-2018, 08:29 AM
Since you just joined in June I'll just assume you've missed all the other hires Cohen has made since he's been in charge. **
Back off the ledge a little bit

Ignorant comment, I know all the hires Cohen has made, Just never felt the need to post on it till he botched up the entire baseball hire and didn't deliver on his promise. I can promise you, if Cohen and Lemonis wasn't getting turned down left and right, then they would have their pitching coach. The timeframe and lack of interest is concerning to me. Something doesn't add up...... Its the offseason and it shouldn't take long to pull the trigger and make a great hire if there wasn't something else deterring candidates. Just like the HC position and we settled for Lemonis. I hope Lemonis turns out great and I am sure he will, but Cohen promised elite coaches and so far he has botched it up if that was the goal.

Offshore Dawg
07-13-2018, 08:57 AM
Ignorant comment, I know all the hires Cohen has made, Just never felt the need to post on it till he botched up the entire baseball hire and didn't deliver on his promise. I can promise you, if Cohen and Lemonis wasn't getting turned down left and right, then they would have their pitching coach. The timeframe and lack of interest is concerning to me. Something doesn't add up...... Its the offseason and it shouldn't take long to pull the trigger and make a great hire if there wasn't something else deterring candidates. Just like the HC position and we settled for Lemonis. I hope Lemonis turns out great and I am sure he will, but Cohen promised elite coaches and so far he has botched it up if that was the goal.

How do you know that this is a botched hire, The man hasn't coached a game yet, and JT Ginn signed after he was hired ( I think ).

Cooterpoot
07-13-2018, 09:03 AM
Think about it. We play in the toughest conference in America, there's a ton of pressure to win a natty, and a former player/coach is the AD. We also didn't hire a coach that took us to the CWS in a season of turmoil. I would imagine that's a bit of a red flag for a lot of coaches. It's a really demanding job.

3rdGen
07-13-2018, 09:20 AM
Think about it. We play in the toughest conference in America, there's a ton of pressure to win a natty, and a former player/coach is the AD. We also didn't hire a coach that took us to the CWS in a season of turmoil. I would imagine that's a bit of a red flag for a lot of coaches. It's a really demanding job.

Its also a really high paying job. I realize money isn't everything but you would think one could suffer a little scrutiny and Cohen for a few years until they got tired of it. I don't know that's just my opinion and you have an asshole too. :D

TaleofTwoDogs
07-13-2018, 09:33 AM
I'm sure Stewart is pacing the floor in his house concerned about his obvious lack of sensitivity to the fan base of Miss State. Our feelings are important and we have a right to know about his personal choices that affect his future. Damn, he is sooooo selfish!. The same goes for Cohen, we gots to know. How can he expect us to be productive adults without knowing who our pitching coach will be. Damn him. **

Some of you need to change your diapers.

sleepy dawg
07-13-2018, 09:46 AM

You can promise this? Do you have proof of something you aren't sharing? Or do you really just have no clue what you're talking about?

Cooterpoot
07-13-2018, 09:54 AM
Its also a really high paying job. I realize money isn't everything but you would think one could suffer a little scrutiny and Cohen for a few years until they got tired of it. I don't know that's just my opinion and you have an asshole too. :D

Is it really that high a paying job though? We went cheap with Lemonis. Certainly not bottom of the barrel cheap but compared to the top coaches in the country, we did. He's also the lowest paid coach in the division (minus Bama). And those top jobs aren't as demanding as ours. Coaches are being paid more at less demanding and easier jobs.

bostondawg
07-13-2018, 10:12 AM
Is it really that high a paying job though? We went cheap with Lemonis. Certainly not bottom of the barrel cheap but compared to the top coaches in the country, we did. He's also the lowest paid coach in the division (minus Bama). And those top jobs aren't as demanding as ours. Coaches are being paid more at less demanding and easier jobs.

We only went cheap with Lemonis because we could--we were probably willing to make Schloss or McDonnell the highest paid coach in America. And we probably have that same philosophy towards the pitching coach.

MarketingBully
07-13-2018, 10:23 AM
Last I checked only Yeskie has turned us down and that was not a good fit to begin with. I’m thinking we will get Foxhall and if we do I’m not going to freak out about our pitching coach situation.

parabrave
07-13-2018, 10:31 AM
Uh, there are lots of colleges NOT located in big cities. Whatever the issues, I doubt this is a major one for most coaches.

If you think Starkville is small go to Clemson. It only has one street. But then of course it has the mountains and Lake Hartwell and half of New Jersey there also.

Cooterpoot
07-13-2018, 10:52 AM
We only went cheap with Lemonis because we could--we were probably willing to make Schloss or McDonnell the highest paid coach in America. And we probably have that same philosophy towards the pitching coach.

But, there's a pattern here with Cohen hires. I'm sure we'll pay our pitching coach. But he won't be he highest paid in the division. Yeskie might have been. But that's my point. We're only offering that huge salary to certain people. The others aren't getting that offer and may not want to deal with that pressure. Plus, like someone else said, baseball coaches aren't like football coaches. They don't chase the money nearly as much.

shannondawg
07-13-2018, 10:56 AM
I think I will go look for another Bully13 post..

msstatelp1
07-13-2018, 11:00 AM

POLK WAS RIGHT WE SHOULDA HIRED RAFFO!!!!!****

maroonmania
07-13-2018, 11:38 AM
But, there's a pattern here with Cohen hires. I'm sure we'll pay our pitching coach. But he won't be he highest paid in the division. Yeskie might have been. But that's my point. We're only offering that huge salary to certain people. The others aren't getting that offer and may not want to deal with that pressure. Plus, like someone else said, baseball coaches aren't like football coaches. They don't chase the money nearly as much.

Why should we overpay someone based on their resume just to show how much we WILL pay if it is needed? We gave Lemonis a heck of a bump from what Indiana was paying him and if he accomplishes big things at MSU I'm sure we will open up the checkbook in a big way for him just like we did for Coach Schaefer. If we did bring him in at an inflated salary and he doesn't work out it would just cost us that much more to move him out.

Johnson85
07-13-2018, 03:48 PM
If he was going JUCO, why wouldn?t he already of decided? The only thing that seems to be holding him up from going JUCO is us hiring a pitching coach. This means he?s at least thinking of going the college baseball route. The longer he waits I think the better it is for us.

Could be waiting on us to make a pitching coach hire, or he might be getting a few doctors opinion about whatever the braves were concerned about. Depending on what they tell him is the best approach might impact what he wants to do.

3rdGen
07-13-2018, 05:22 PM

So from what I understand Cohen said he would pay the new pitching coach whatever it takes but obviously he would make less than Lemonis. Lemonis makes 500k the first uear and then bumps up to 600k or something the next or something to that effect. Now I don?t know what your pulling in and it?s none of my business but in my world if I was making between 200-500k it would be considered a high paying job. And I am also assuming that this range would be on the upper end for pitching coaches in the SEC or at the very least a good salary. I may be wrong and if so feel free to correct me because I am not sure what the average salary for pitching coaches is.

Homedawg
07-13-2018, 05:46 PM
So from what I understand Cohen said he would pay the new pitching coach whatever it takes but obviously he would make less than Lemonis. Lemonis makes 500k the first uear and then bumps up to 600k or something the next or something to that effect. Now I don?t know what your pulling in and it?s none of my business but in my world if I was making between 200-500k it would be considered a high paying job. And I am also assuming that this range would be on the upper end for pitching coaches in them SEC or at the very least a good salary. I may be wrong and if so feel free to correct me because I am not sure what the average salary for pitching coaches is.

Lemonis is at 637k in avg for the 4 years of his contract. He is never below 600k

3rdGen
07-13-2018, 06:07 PM
Lemonis is at 637k in avg for the 4 years of his contract. He is never below 600k

Thanks for the clarity. I am not all up on the contract details.

Add: that just makes me think that the pitching coach could be making anywhere from 200-just less than Lemonis if that is necessary. I don’t know but it sounds like a good gig to me.