PDA

View Full Version : Graham Ashcraft transferring

preachermatt83
07-12-2018, 10:49 AM
According to Brett Hudson.

Homedawg
07-12-2018, 11:00 AM
I'm sure he had his scholarship taken. Can't blame us nor him. Good luck to him. Hope he stays healthy and makes it somewhere.

Cooterpoot
07-12-2018, 11:14 AM
It's about time honestly. We need an overhaul of our pitching staff.

preachermatt83
07-12-2018, 11:36 AM
I'm sure he had his scholarship taken. Can't blame us nor him. Good luck to him. Hope he stays healthy and makes it somewhere.

Agreed

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-12-2018, 11:39 AM
Oh come on and stop acting like this is a good thing. 2 weeks ago Ashcraft was being counted on to take a step forward. He's a great talent with a high ceiling that never had a chance due to injury.

Unless he's not rehabbing like he should and the staff wants him gone (and I doubt that's the case, given that ZERO people with insider knowledge even hinted at that during all the "what will our rotation be next year" threads), this is a blow.

Highly coveted RHP who can throw 95 MPH... any one who acts like he's dead weight is just trying to spin this. A lot of baseball guys like Todd thought he could have a huge impact when healthy

The Federalist Engineer
07-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Well, he's been getting hit hard and walking a lot of D2 players in Waynesboro

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-12-2018, 11:46 AM
It's about time honestly. We need an overhaul of our pitching staff.

Ashcraft was injured, he wasn't the problem. Leibelt was dead weight, getting rid of him to make room is reasonable. Getting rid of a guy who throws 95 before he ever shows he sucks makes no sense.

Our staff needs good coaching, and good talent. Ashcraft (at least, before his first injury) was hitting mid 90s. He's got the 2nd best fb after Ginn. That isn't who you cut to make room.

Whether he wants more playing time than he'd get next year, or wants a full scholarship, or just wants a fresh start somewhere, he's not leaving because our staff thought he wasn't up to snuff. His loss hurts us , though to what degree I have no idea. I just hate this pretending like it's good for us he left, or all part of the plan

Tbonewannabe
07-12-2018, 11:51 AM
Is he going Juco or transferring to a different college?

msstate7
07-12-2018, 11:51 AM
Ashcraft was injured, he wasn't the problem. Leibelt was dead weight, getting rid of him to make room is reasonable. Getting rid of a guy who throws 95 before he ever shows he sucks makes no sense.

Our staff needs good coaching, and good talent. Ashcraft (at least, before his first injury) was hitting mid 90s. He's got the 2nd best fb after Ginn. That isn't who you cut to make room.

Whether he wants more playing time than he'd get next year, or wants a full scholarship, or just wants a fresh start somewhere, he's not leaving because our staff thought he wasn't up to snuff. His loss hurts us , though to what degree I have no idea. I just hate this pretending like it's good for us he left, or all part of the plan

Is he throwing yet? It certainly seems like a big loss, but I'd like to know if he would even be available this upcoming season. I'd also like to know if velocity is same post-injury as pre-injury

Homedawg
07-12-2018, 12:03 PM
Oh come on and stop acting like this is a good thing. 2 weeks ago Ashcraft was being counted on to take a step forward. He's a great talent with a high ceiling that never had a chance due to injury.

Unless he's not rehabbing like he should and the staff wants him gone (and I doubt that's the case, given that ZERO people with insider knowledge even hinted at that during all the "what will our rotation be next year" threads), this is a blow.

Highly coveted RHP who can throw 95 MPH... any one who acts like he's dead weight is just trying to spin this. A lot of baseball guys like Todd thought he could have a huge impact when healthy

Well, he hasn't been healthy. W 11.7 scholarships and 27 having to be on 25% at least, you can't just give up a spot for a guy that hasnt been healthy in 2 years. And w ginn coming, somebody and somebodies, have to get chopped to get to this 27 number and 11.7. Its a challenge.

Homedawg
07-12-2018, 12:04 PM
Is he throwing yet? It certainly seems like a big loss, but I'd like to know if he would even be available this upcoming season. I'd also like to know if velocity is same post-injury as pre-injury

He is pitching this summer.

Tbonewannabe
07-12-2018, 12:05 PM
Well, he hasn't been healthy. W 11.7 scholarships and 27 having to be on 25% at least, you can't just give up a spot for a guy that hasnt been healthy in 2 years. And w ginn coming, somebody and somebodies, have to get chopped to get to this 27 number and 11.7. Its a challenge.

It just boils down to if the coaching staff think he will be able to contribute over the next 2 years at the level you hope. It just sucks that baseball has to do this while football and basketball can afford to have some dead weight.

Cooterpoot
07-12-2018, 12:05 PM

Ashcraft is part of the problem. We can't hang on to damaged goods that aren't getting it done. He's in that category. And he's not hitting 95 consistently either. We'll be fine without him. Especially if Stewart shows up. I don't think Ashcraft will be the last one we see go either.

maroonmania
07-12-2018, 12:12 PM
Ashcraft is part of the problem. We can't hang on to damaged goods that aren't getting it done. He's in that category. And he's not hitting 95 consistently either. We'll be fine without him. Especially if Stewart shows up. I don't think Ashcraft will be the last one we see go either.

Well you would think we would at least hire a pitching coach before we started deciding which arms to keep and which to cut loose. Assuming it was our decision, it certainly could have been that he just wanted a fresh start somewhere. Just hate to see talented players come in that end up giving us nothing because of injury. Wasn't he like a 12th round draft pick out of HS?

Cooterpoot
07-12-2018, 12:17 PM
I agree. And people can say what they want, this whole coaching search deal has been a damn mess.

mparkerfd20
07-12-2018, 12:20 PM
Circumstances change. It's never good to lose talent , but the Ashcroft we signed isn't the Ashcroft we have now...For better or worse I don't know as I have no inside information. But to act like it's a huge loss on someone who hasn't produced much of anything to this point is asinine unless you are a friend or family member when it at least becomes understandable.

Todd4State
07-12-2018, 12:27 PM
Well, he's been getting hit hard and walking a lot of D2 players in Waynesboro

Actually his ERA is 2.95 and most of his walks came in his first outing was when the vast majority of his walks occurred. I would say that there was a decent chance he could have contributed next year.

msbulldog
07-12-2018, 12:32 PM
Maybe Ashcraft decided to go elsewhere on his own and not a decision on the coaches part.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-12-2018, 12:34 PM
Ashcraft had 2 hip injuries, I can't imagine those would affect velocity as much as an arm/shoulder injury would. All insiders acted like he'd be 100% or close to it by the start of next season, and that the injuries were not the kind that tend to come back; he's at a low risk for re-injury.

So he probably hasn't lost much velocity, and he probably wouldn't be injury prone going forward.

This situation boils down to 2 scenarios: 1) our staff (with no pitching coach, mind you) decided that they didn't think he could contribute just as he was getting healthy and we told him to leave. Mind you the previous staff with a real PC decided he could contribute down the road, as they kept him after the '17 season. OR, 2) he decided to leave on his own because he wanted a full ride/more playing time.

Many people here are acting like this is 1), but honestly it seems FAR more likely it's 2). It happens to almost every team every year because of the scholarship situation and desire to get playing time to jump to the draft earlier. This isn't a program breaker, but there's no reason to act like this is a good/neutral thing

preachermatt83
07-12-2018, 12:36 PM
We had seven players that had to be cut. We were at 42. You lose anderson and penter. You gotta lose five more. Ashcraft makes 4 left. Alexanders deal leaves 3 , So get mad all you want but 3 more guys will be gone.

preachermatt83
07-12-2018, 12:37 PM
We had seven players that had to be cut. We were at 42. You lose anderson and penter. You gotta lose five more. Ashcraft makes 4 left. Alexanders deal leaves 3 , So get mad all you want but 3 more guys will be gone.

Prob one if not two of the three will be pitchers.

Homedawg
07-12-2018, 12:37 PM
Maybe Ashcraft decided to go elsewhere on his own and not a decision on the coaches part.

I'm sure he did. I feel very confident we gave him a chance to stay........but wo an athletic scholarship. he would have had to make it as one of the 8 walk on spots. Again, don't blame us, and don't blame him.

Steakonastick
07-12-2018, 12:44 PM
Ashcraft had one of the largest chunks of baseball scholarships on the team. It’s another case where a lottery in Mississippi would have helped.

The Federalist Engineer
07-12-2018, 12:45 PM

Maybe we are getting a package ready for players we did not expect to have like Ginn and Stewart

Plus we have Knowlton, Macleod, Smith, Cerantola, and Brock that need developmental innings. At this point, Ashcraft and Breaux have only freshman level experience and are still total wildcards for contribution

I seen it dawg
07-12-2018, 12:45 PM
Ashcraft had 2 hip injuries, I can't imagine those would affect velocity as much as an arm/shoulder injury would. All insiders acted like he'd be 100% or close to it by the start of next season, and that the injuries were not the kind that tend to come back; he's at a low risk for re-injury.

So he probably hasn't lost much velocity, and he probably wouldn't be injury prone going forward.

This situation boils down to 2 scenarios: 1) our staff (with no pitching coach, mind you) decided that they didn't think he could contribute just as he was getting healthy and we told him to leave. Mind you the previous staff with a real PC decided he could contribute down the road, as they kept him after the '17 season. OR, 2) he decided to leave on his own because he wanted a full ride/more playing time.

Many people here are acting like this is 1), but honestly it seems FAR more likely it's 2). It happens to almost every team every year because of the scholarship situation and desire to get playing time to jump to the draft earlier. This isn't a program breaker, but there's no reason to act like this is a good/neutral thing

And also no reason to act like it's the end of the world and we just decided to take Smalls scholly for the hell of it. Damn the guy has NEVER been healthy. It sucks for everyone but you got to make that decision and move on from him as far as a scholly.

Dawg2003
07-12-2018, 12:47 PM
Prob one if not two of the three will be pitchers.

Who else do you think stands a chance of getting cut?

The Federalist Engineer
07-12-2018, 12:59 PM

Kale Breaux according to an old post, required a large scholarship because we had to compete with complete scholarship offers from Louisiana schools.

He has contributed less than Ashcraft and he seems to have been cut by his summer team after 4 rocky innings about a month ago

preachermatt83
07-12-2018, 01:14 PM

Leibelt and Breaux would be my guess.

Dawg2003
07-12-2018, 01:15 PM
Kale Breaux according to an old post, required a large scholarship because we had to compete with complete scholarship offers from Louisiana schools.

He has contributed less than Ashcraft and he seems to have been cut by his summer team after 4 rocky innings about a month ago

Dang, I didn?t know you could get cut from a summer team. Goodness.

Homedawg
07-12-2018, 01:24 PM
Remember folks, Dakota Hudson had his scholarship taken prior to his jr season. This is the way college baseball works.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-12-2018, 01:25 PM
Leibelt and Breaux would be my guess.

Marsh? I know it wont' happen, but we'd throw a party if Skelton was cut

preachermatt83
07-12-2018, 01:26 PM
Marsh? I know it wont' happen, but we'd throw a party if Skelton was cut

I think marsh has potential and will just be a walk on.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-12-2018, 01:29 PM
And also no reason to act like it's the end of the world and we just decided to take Smalls scholly for the hell of it. Damn the guy has NEVER been healthy. It sucks for everyone but you got to make that decision and move on from him as far as a scholly.

I never said it was the end of the world. My only point this entire time was to counter the idea that we wanted him to leave, that we pushed him out. I never said he was worth the scholarship, I understand taking it away. However, we have a lot of guys that stay without a scholarship, and the team would be better off if he was one of them.

If saying "It seem irrational to think we wanted a guy this talented to leave, we probably wanted him to stay and his departure hurts" is = "acting like it's the end of the world", then sure ,that's how I'm acting. People at the start of this thread were acting like we pushed him out on purpose, rather than what probably happened, we pulled his scholly but still wanted him to stay

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-12-2018, 01:31 PM
Remember folks, Dakota Hudson had his scholarship taken prior to his jr season. This is the way college baseball works.

And the taking of his scholarship was not a sign that we wanted him to transfer out. Similarly I doubt the staff wanted Ashcraft to leave when they pulled his

BB30
07-12-2018, 02:18 PM

Flexible strong hips and lower half are extremely important when it comes to velocity fwiw.

biggun
07-12-2018, 05:27 PM
Actually his ERA is 2.95 and most of his walks came in his first outing was when the vast majority of his walks occurred. I would say that there was a decent chance he could have contributed next year.

Are you talking about his ERA right now?? Where is he pitching (what league) this summer?

CoachT14
07-12-2018, 05:31 PM

???????? You realize that hips and the lower half are arguably more important than the arm/shoulder in regards to velo right?

Todd4State
07-12-2018, 05:43 PM
Are you talking about his ERA right now?? Where is he pitching (what league) this summer?

Waynesboro in the Valley League.

biggun
07-12-2018, 06:02 PM
Waynesboro in the Valley League.

Waynesboro, Ms??? Has a college baseball summer league??? Really????

Homedawg
07-12-2018, 06:38 PM

Did you really just ask this?? Where are the These*********??

Todd4State
07-12-2018, 06:38 PM
Ha!

Nope.

http://www.waynesborogenerals.net/stats-2/?afpview=pitching

MaroonFlounder
07-12-2018, 06:44 PM
Vansau worth staying on?

Logan Lowery just did a story on how Liebelt ended up at MSU, but it was hard to tell by reading it whether he was returning. Why would a story be done on him if he wasn’t?

What about Tristan Barlow?

Todd4State
07-12-2018, 06:47 PM
Vansau worth staying on?

Logan Lowery just did a story on how Liebelt ended up at MSU, but it was hard to tell by reading it whether he was returning. Why would a story be done on him if he wasn’t?

What about Tristan Barlow?

If it were me Vansau and Leibelt would be walking on. Barlow was hurt but I'm not sure of his scholarship situation. I think I heard he was having surgery in August on his shoulder?

The Federalist Engineer
07-12-2018, 07:21 PM

Yep, I am not rooting against him. I wish that baseball got 35 scholarships and we did not treat these youngsters this way.

I hope he doesn't transfer to Alabama (or Butch) and comeback to kick our ass next string

Saltydog
07-12-2018, 07:21 PM
NT

mparkerfd20
07-12-2018, 09:38 PM
One would hope so

Todd4State
07-12-2018, 10:28 PM
NT

The rumor I heard was that the University was "looking into it". IF the rumors are true- MSU may appeal.

They were saying on Genespage that the suspension is actually half the season but the difference was with Plumlee was Cann decided to kick him off the team at that point and now Lemonis has decided to allow Plumlee back on the team.

So IF all of that is true and I'm reading between the lines- I'm guessing that LA will be back and may just miss the first half of the season.

Again- rumors and Genespage so there may be some inaccuracies.

Homedawg
07-12-2018, 11:10 PM
The rumor I heard was that the University was "looking into it". IF the rumors are true- MSU may appeal.

They were saying on Genespage that the suspension is actually half the season but the difference was with Plumlee was Cann decided to kick him off the team at that point and now Lemonis has decided to allow Plumlee back on the team.

So IF all of that is true and I'm reading between the lines- I'm guessing that LA will be back and may just miss the first half of the season.

While we are dealing in rumors I don’t believe any of it. Meaning I have a hard time believing Plumlee will be back. And the suspension is a year not half a year.

The Federalist Engineer
07-12-2018, 11:53 PM
While we are dealing in rumors I don’t believe any of it. Meaning I have a hard time believing Plumlee will be back. And the suspension is a year not half a year.

We probably need the Plum back with all these guys leaving and then you gotta factor freshmen and JC transfers that will not actually show up in the fall.

Plumlee has great stats this summer

http://pgcbl.bbstats.pointstreak.com/player.html?playerid=1269079&seasonid=31308

Also, plumlee is still affiliating with MSU on Twitter, FWIW

And- Hail State.Com is calling him a Bulldog too

http://hailstate.com/news/2018/7/12/baseball-diamond-dawgs-in-summer-ball-update-july-12.aspx

Tbonewannabe
07-13-2018, 08:27 AM
We probably need the Plum back with all these guys leaving and then you gotta factor freshmen and JC transfers that will not actually show up in the fall.

Plumlee has great stats this summer

http://pgcbl.bbstats.pointstreak.com/player.html?playerid=1269079&seasonid=31308

Also, plumlee is still affiliating with MSU on Twitter, FWIW

And- Hail State.Com is calling him a Bulldog too

http://hailstate.com/news/2018/7/12/baseball-diamond-dawgs-in-summer-ball-update-july-12.aspx

Plumlee at least on twitter is acting like he is coming back.

maroonmania
07-13-2018, 12:04 PM

Half the season is still a long time. If we have someone else playing SS for half the season who plays decent defense with a batting average close to .300 then I don't see LA ever getting his job back.

Dawg2003
07-13-2018, 01:39 PM
Half the season is still a long time. If we have someone else playing SS for half the season who plays decent defense with a batting average close to .300 then I don't see LA ever getting his job back.

I don’t see it either. I find it difficult to believe that no one else can match him defensively but have a better batting average.

preachermatt83
07-13-2018, 02:10 PM

I don’t know about the others but plumlee is back.

Homedawg
07-13-2018, 02:42 PM
I don’t know about the others but plumlee is back.

Fair enough....