PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Bryant to the Jets

Irondawg
07-11-2018, 09:46 PM
Jets signed Mississippi State DB Brandon Bryant.

Bryant (5'11/207) wasn't selected in the Supplemental Draft but is a solid flyer after running a 4.45 forty at his Pro Day with a 34-inch vertical. He'll compete for an end-of-the-roster spot in training camp. Bryant has the measurables for a special teams role.

msbulldog
07-12-2018, 06:02 AM
I wish him much luck, the kid has had it tough.

Bully13
07-12-2018, 07:40 AM

Can you give us a reminder?

I seen it dawg
07-12-2018, 09:46 AM

How so? I don't recall a bunch of bad luck things happening.

Tbonewannabe
07-12-2018, 09:56 AM
How so? I don't recall a bunch of bad luck things happening.

Not sure of anything but losing his dad his sophomore year. Didn't he almost quit football after his dad died?

Johnson85
07-12-2018, 10:01 AM
Jets signed Mississippi State DB Brandon Bryant.

Bryant (5'11/207) wasn't selected in the Supplemental Draft but is a solid flyer after running a 4.45 forty at his Pro Day with a 34-inch vertical. He'll compete for an end-of-the-roster spot in training camp. Bryant has the measurables for a special teams role.

Hope he makes it. Still hard to believe how poorly his measurables translated to the field for us.

Threat Hijack: Is there another player whose measurables and production were so at oddds?

Marvin Byrdsong? Don't remember his measurables, but remember him being a high four star that never did anything.

Justin Cox? Similar to Bryant. NFL athleticism but without the perfmrance to match.

Something O'Neal (Can't remember his first name) - Track and hurdle star that tried WR at the end of Croom and beginning of Mullen that quit to focus on track. A little more understandable to me that a a track guy can't catch.

Bully13
07-12-2018, 10:07 AM
This will spark some memory. I really hope this guy makes it in the NFL. Would be great. He's been thru hell. Lost his dad due to a motor cycle accident.

https://www.clarionledger.com/story/sports/college/mississippi-state/2018/04/08/safety-brandon-bryant-moves-mississippi-state/497329002/

That said, Bryant had not practiced this spring because of academic issues, according to Joe Moorhead. Bryant attended MSU’s scrimmage Saturday, but was not in uniform.

Bryant broke out as a redshirt freshman in 2015, playing in all 13 games and starting the final eight games of the year. He finished third among all SEC freshmen and first among SEC freshmen defensive backs with 63 tackles. He also led MSU and all SEC freshmen in interceptions with three and was one of only two SEC freshmen to return a pick for a touchdown.

Bryant’s father died in a motorcycle accident later that year, and he struggled to build off a promising freshman season in 2016. Bryant made 62 tackles and an interception in 13 games, including 10 starts, but he said he began to question whether or not he still loved playing the game and did not start the final three regular season games.

Bryant was rejuvenated last year while playing under former safeties coach Ron English, and was a mainstay in MSU’s safeties rotation. The hard-hitting safety made 32 tackles with three pass deflections and an interception while splitting time with McLaurin, Abram and former safety J.T. Gray, who graduated.

Tbonewannabe
07-12-2018, 11:56 AM
Hope he makes it. Still hard to believe how poorly his measurables translated to the field for us.

Threat Hijack: Is there another player whose measurables and production were so at oddds?

Marvin Byrdsong? Don't remember his measurables, but remember him being a high four star that never did anything.

Justin Cox? Similar to Bryant. NFL athleticism but without the perfmrance to match.

Something O'Neal (Can't remember his first name) - Track and hurdle star that tried WR at the end of Croom and beginning of Mullen that quit to focus on track. A little more understandable to me that a a track guy can't catch.

Justin Cox was arrested for assault and kicked off the team. He was recently banned from the CFL for again, domestic violence and assault. He was a great player on the field, his interception against UM was awesome, but it doesn't matter if you are suspended for doing dumb shit.

Tbonewannabe
07-12-2018, 11:59 AM

O'Neal Wilder was the WR. I don't think he was anything but straightline speed. He wasn't a very good route runner and then had problems catching the ball. I think he quit football when he was injured and it took a few months to rehab. He was actually a pretty good sprinter if I remember correctly. I think he even ran some relays for the Team USA, just not in the Olympics.

Johnson85
07-12-2018, 12:17 PM
Justin Cox was arrested for assault and kicked off the team. He was recently banned from the CFL for again, domestic violence and assault. He was a great player on the field, his interception against UM was awesome, but it doesn't matter if you are suspended for doing dumb shit.

Justin Cox made some great plays, but he wasn't a great player on the field. Basically a lot like Bryant. Certainly a good piece to have, but it comes iwth lots of bad angles, occasional effort questions, and occasional flashes of athleticism that reminded you that even when he's playing pretty well, he's still underachieving considering his athletic ability.

ETA: That probably sounds more negative than intended for Bryant. He's a great athlete, as evidenced by him being drafted, and outside of his second season where he was really struggling mentally on and off the field, he was still pretty good. He just didn't produce like he could have, even in his bounce back season, considering his athletic ability. Hope he puts it together in the pros.

msbulldog
07-12-2018, 12:21 PM
Can you give us a reminder?

Lost his father who was murdered, he had just started a relationship with him. He wasn't around much when Brandon was growing up.

ETA: I just read the CL article 13 posted, I must be thinking of someone else, still wish the kid luck.

Rustydawg
07-12-2018, 07:54 PM
Wish Brandon luck on his shot at the NFL

HereComesTheSpiral
07-13-2018, 02:08 PM
Lost his father who was murdered, he had just started a relationship with him. He wasn't around much when Brandon was growing up.

ETA: I just read the CL article 13 posted, I must be thinking of someone else, still wish the kid luck.

Lamar Peters dad was murdered.

Bully13
07-13-2018, 02:37 PM
Lamar Peters dad was murdered.

Man. And Brandon's died in a MC wreck not long after his dad came back into his life.

somebodyshotmypaw
07-13-2018, 04:13 PM
O'Neal Wilder was the WR. I don't think he was anything but straightline speed. He wasn't a very good route runner and then had problems catching the ball. I think he quit football when he was injured and it took a few months to rehab. He was actually a pretty good sprinter if I remember correctly. I think he even ran some relays for the Team USA, just not in the Olympics.

Wilder was tall and long-legged. He wasn't really a 100 meter guy. Was a 200 meter and 400 meter guy. Top event was the 400 meters.