PDA

View Full Version : What Do We Get From Guidry This Year?

ShotgunDawg
07-11-2018, 12:51 PM
As we sit here in July, outside of Fitz's health, I'm finding it difficult to pinpoint a single player on MSU's roster that could have a bigger role in determining whether we are a playoff contender vs just being a good team, than Stephen Guidry.

He is the swing vote IMO & is an unknown in which I have virtually no clue what we are getting.

What do we get from him this year?

If Guidry just has an inconsistent, show flashes but disappears in big games type season, how good are we?

If Guidry turns into a game breaker that defensive coordinators have to game plan for, how good are we?

What is the best case scenario for Guidry & what recent SEC or NFL player does he remind you of?

Just going through what could go wrong & right this season & Guidry has me stumped because I realized I know virtually nothing about one of our most talented players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=041uHn8qR6Y

Todd4State
07-11-2018, 01:01 PM
I'm expecting at least 3-5 receptions a game for him.

ShotgunDawg
07-11-2018, 01:03 PM
I'm expecting at least 3-5 receptions a game for him.

He looks like a homeless man's Randy Moss in the video.

How does he compare to DK Metcalf?

I just having trouble putting my finger on what he is capable of.

Bully13
07-11-2018, 01:18 PM
Awesome video Gun. Thank you . Wooly.

BuckyIsAB****
07-11-2018, 01:19 PM
We wont know till fall camp and we really wont know till game 1.

The players are confident in him I will say that.

BuckyIsAB****
07-11-2018, 01:19 PM
He looks like a homeless man's Randy Moss in the video.

How does he compare to DK Metcalf?

I just having trouble putting my finger on what he is capable of.

Hes faster than Metcalf for sure.

ShotgunDawg
07-11-2018, 01:23 PM
Hes faster than Metcalf for sure.

So we have a 6'4" X WR with 4.4 speed that can high point the football?

What is his weakness? From a pure profile standpoint, that sounds like a 1st rounder

BuckyIsAB****
07-11-2018, 01:26 PM

What is his weakness? From a pure profile standpoint, that sounds like a 1st rounder

Idk if he is a 4.4 but he is faster than Metcalf. Metcalf is mainly a one trick pony. Was the same in high school. I think he is overrated but thats just me. I've seen a lot of Metcalf.

Yes Guidry has the chance to be a difference maker, his weakness is off the field. I havent seen him play live once in my life but I can tell you from that video he is faster than Metcalf.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-11-2018, 01:27 PM
He seems to use his body well and has good hands, which are probably the most important things in a big receiver. JoMo said he's put on muscle, so he probably will be able to handle big physical SEC corners.

Looking at the video, it doesn't seem like he's got elite speed. Maybe it's me but I didn't see any play where he looked like a burner. Still though, if he can run a decent route, jump high and catch a contested ball, then he's given us all we really need out of a big man. I can live without 70 yard bombs if he gives us a red zone target and we can lob it to him on 3rd and 9

thf24
07-11-2018, 01:28 PM

That's what I'm wondering. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled we have him and can't wait to see him in action. But if he's as good as advertised in all such areas, why was LSU largely uninterested in him? Seems like I've heard the depth chart was an issue, but it sounds like he's a guy who anyone should make room for. Again, not trying to trash him in the slightest; just curious.

ShotgunDawg
07-11-2018, 01:32 PM
That's what I'm wondering. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled we have him and can't wait to see him in action. But if he's as good as advertised in all such areas, why was LSU largely uninterested in him? Seems like I've heard the depth chart was an issue, but it sounds like he's a guy who anyone should make room for. Again, not trying to trash him in the slightest; just curious.

Yeah I don't know.

It sure seems like the measurables don't match the production or recruiting hype.

Are his problems purely off field? If JoMo can get him right, does that equate to him being an All-SEC type player?

Bully13
07-11-2018, 01:33 PM
Idk if he is a 4.4 but he is faster than Metcalf. Metcalf is mainly a one trick pony. Was the same in high school. I think he is overrated but thats just me. I've seen a lot of Metcalf.

Yes Guidry has the chance to be a difference maker, his weakness is off the field. I havent seen him play live once in my life but I can tell you from that video he is faster than Metcalf.

https://s33.postimg.cc/7u70i0jxb/Not_this_shit_again.jpg

ShotgunDawg
07-11-2018, 01:36 PM
He seems to use his body well and has good hands, which are probably the most important things in a big receiver. JoMo said he's put on muscle, so he probably will be able to handle big physical SEC corners.

Looking at the video, it doesn't seem like he's got elite speed. Maybe it's me but I didn't see any play where he looked like a burner. Still though, if he can run a decent route, jump high and catch a contested ball, then he's given us all we really need out of a big man. I can live without 70 yard bombs if he gives us a red zone target and we can lob it to him on 3rd and 9

He looks like at least a 4.5 guy to me.

For a 6'4" WR, he appears to be really light on his feet.

He really only cuts it loose once in the video & that is on the first play of the video.

The play that sticks out to me though is the one at the 48 second mark. A 6'4" guy having feet like that is ridiculous & unique

BrunswickDawg
07-11-2018, 01:38 PM
Looking at that video - I see a faster, better route running version of Bear Wilson.
So to me it comes down to 3 things:
1) How quickly can he pick up the Offense? He was here in Spring, albeit non-contact- so he has a head start
2) How quickly can he and Fitz sync up? See #1.
3) Will he downfield block like we need?

If we get 2014 level Bear Wilson results, we are good.
If we get 2015 level Bear Wilson results, we are great.

Covercorner2
07-11-2018, 01:40 PM
Yeah I don't know.

It sure seems like the measurables don't match the production or recruiting hype.

Are his problems purely off field? If JoMo can get him right, does that equate to him being an All-SEC type player?

Well, for one, he?s not very big. He?s maybe 190 at 6?4. Go look at some of his pics off thefield. I think he?s just ?raw,? and that?s why he wasn?t like a 5 star talent. He has the height, speed and hands to be very good, but how will he hold up in the SEC and can he put all that together? If he was 215, he would be easier to project.

He could be AJ Green, or he could be just another skinny, fast kid. Remember, he also doesn?t have a ton of production to match his skill set.

This is all not to say he won?t be great. Just reasons why he wasnt rated higher.

ShotgunDawg
07-11-2018, 01:43 PM
Looking at that video - I see a faster, better route running version of Bear Wilson.
So to me it comes down to 3 things:
1) How quickly can he pick up the Offense? He was here in Spring, albeit non-contact- so he has a head start
2) How quickly can he and Fitz sync up? See #1.
3) Will he downfield block like we need?

If we get 2014 level Bear Wilson results, we are good.
If we get 2015 level Bear Wilson results, we are great.

I get the Bear comparison but Bear was 225 and Guidry is listed at 185, although he appears bigger in the video.

It just seems to me that we are getting a different type of player than Bear and potentially something we haven't had.

Ari Gold
07-11-2018, 01:44 PM
Since I got called out for not making a “bold prediction “.. and we see how that post turned out
Here is a bold one
Guidry will be here one year and have his name called very early day 3 maybe even late day 2 of The draft
That ****ing bold enough ????

ShotgunDawg
07-11-2018, 01:55 PM
Well, for one, he?s not very big. He?s maybe 190 at 6?4. Go look at some of his pics off thefield. I think he?s just ?raw,? and that?s why he wasn?t like a 5 star talent. He has the height, speed and hands to be very good, but how will he hold up in the SEC and can he put all that together? If he was 215, he would be easier to project.

He could be AJ Green, or he could be just another skinny, fast kid. Remember, he also doesn?t have a ton of production to match his skill set.

This is all not to say he won?t be great. Just reasons why he wasnt rated higher.

Yeah, he is a bit on the bean pole side. Of all the players on the roster, he is the one I'm most excited to see what his height & weight are when the roster comes out.

Most all NFL players that have his height weigh about 220+

FWIW, Randy Moss was 6'4" 215

The NFL player who appears to most have a Guidry type body is former Texas A&M WR Josh Reynolds who is listed at 6'3" 193 in the NFL & 6'4" 190 at A&M

https://c8.alamy.com/comp/F311D7/texas-am-receiver-josh-reynolds-11-runs-for-a-first-down-in-the-fourth-F311D7.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/bfHOASJfY0U/hqdefault.jpg

Ifyouonlyknew
07-11-2018, 02:26 PM

You could ask the same question for Whop last year or Dannis Jackson this year. LSU recruits at an extremely high level & there's only so many spots to give.

Lord McBuckethead
07-11-2018, 02:27 PM
Between him and whop I hope we get 115 catches for 1800 yards.

ShotgunDawg
07-11-2018, 02:31 PM
Between him and whop I hope we get 115 catches for 1800 yards.

If we get this type of production from both of those guys, we will win the national championship. Not really sure how it could work any other way.

TrapGame
07-11-2018, 03:37 PM
If we get this type of production from both of those guys, we will win the national championship. Not really sure how it could work any other way.

Two receivers like Guidry and Whop plus a 1,000 yd. RB in AW then add in a good OL and a QB like Fitz and we just might be talking about a playoff berth.

BrunswickDawg
07-11-2018, 03:37 PM
I get the Bear comparison but Bear was 225 and Guidry is listed at 185, although he appears bigger in the video.

It just seems to me that we are getting a different type of player than Bear and potentially something we haven't had.

Yeah, I didn't look at his measurable. I would hope that being in our conditioning program since January that he is up closer to 200 - 205.
In general though, I think my thought about production capability stands. I won't go as high as Ari's draft projection - but it is obvious the kid has skills.

Having Whop and Guidry on campus since January makes me pretty confident that the adjustment period should be short. If that translates to a 2014 Fred Ross/Bear Wilson type production level (and it could), we are looking at CFP caliber team, with a Heisman candidate QB, and weapons like we have rarely had.

mcain31
07-11-2018, 04:13 PM
I heard that Guidry's collegiate comparison is former South Carolina receiver Sidney Rice

bostondawg
07-11-2018, 04:16 PM
Stephen Guidry reminds me of a slightly slower version of Kevin White (WVU).

bostondawg
07-11-2018, 04:22 PM
If Guidry just has an inconsistent, show flashes but disappears in big games type season, how good are we?

8-4

If Guidry turns into a game breaker that defensive coordinators have to game plan for, how good are we?

11-1

What is the best case scenario for Guidry & what recent SEC or NFL player does he remind you of?

He reminds me of Greg Childs at Arky. Maybe Tolliver at LSU.

mcain31
07-11-2018, 04:23 PM
Kevin White was a burner before his injury

ShotgunDawg
07-11-2018, 04:24 PM
I heard that Guidry's collegiate comparison is former South Carolina receiver Sidney Rice

I like this one.

Four our sake, I hope it's true

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-11-2018, 04:31 PM
Since I got called out for not making a ?bold prediction ?.. and we see how that post turned out
Here is a bold one
Guidry will be here one year and have his name called very early day 3 maybe even late day 2 of The draft
That ****ing bold enough ????

Is this an "attacking act?" Let's go to "I seen it dawg" for further review...

BeardoMSU
07-11-2018, 04:37 PM

https://media.giphy.com/media/ncbdoCpKerEbK/giphy.gif

Bully13
07-11-2018, 04:45 PM

Good to see you back Mcain31. Give us a holla over at the poly board if you get a free moment.

bostondawg
07-11-2018, 04:59 PM

Yeah, maybe Guidry doesn't have that kind of overpowering speed. There were receivers like Terrance Tolliver who are maybe a better comparison--run a 4.5 but be 6'4" and you can be successful.

Captain Falcon
07-11-2018, 05:02 PM
Our leading receiver last year had 27 receptions and 276 yards for the year. That is laughable, and we still went 9-4 while being totally inept at WR.

If Guidry can double that yardage wise, he won’t be an All-SEC guy but it will make an enormous difference for our season.

bulldawg28
07-11-2018, 05:08 PM
I don't know what to expect. If he can make the catches he's supposed to make and make the difficult catch more often than not we're a top 8 team.

Ari Gold
07-11-2018, 05:11 PM

Another bold prediction.
The next time you post something on the recruiting thread bet someone that it gets deleted . You will win.

mcain31
07-11-2018, 05:43 PM
Good to see you back Mcain31. Give us a holla over at the poly board if you get a free moment.

Which thread? I haven't looked on the poly board in a few months

mcain31
07-11-2018, 05:45 PM
JoMo did say that Guidry has put on 20 lbs of good weight since he arrived on campus in an interview after spring practices concluded

msbulldog
07-11-2018, 06:20 PM
S. Guidry has Luke Getsy, who coached NFL wide receivers for the Green Bay Packers as his position coach. Bear Wilson did not have that benefit!

Bully13
07-11-2018, 06:27 PM
Which thread? I haven't looked on the poly board in a few months

?? Just jump in dude. You know the way to the pool. The water's warm. Don't be afeared.

Thanks again for your service Marine.

BuckyIsAB****
07-11-2018, 07:12 PM
https://s33.postimg.cc/7u70i0jxb/Not_this_shit_again.jpg

I mean its a pretty obvious fact at this point. He has either wanted a ton of attention or something is up. I havent said he would be a cancer or not on the team like others

maroonmania
07-11-2018, 10:21 PM

What is his weakness?

So far I would say social media.***

bulldawg28
07-12-2018, 07:47 AM
So far I would say social media.***

Indeed

sandwolf
07-12-2018, 12:20 PM

I really don't know why you haven't been banned yet. I don't think I've ever seen you add anything of substance to a thread, and you hang on to petty little bullshit arguments almost as bad as blacklistedbully.

Lord McBuckethead
07-13-2018, 01:28 PM

I am not saying each would have 115 catches, but if we could get 115 total between the two that would be amazing. I hope we could at least get 60 catches between the two.

ShotgunDawg
07-13-2018, 01:49 PM
I am not saying each would have 115 catches, but if we could get 115 total between the two that would be amazing. I hope we could at least get 60 catches between the two.

I understood what you meant. If we get a combined 115 & 1,800 from those guys, we are going to the Natty.

tireddawg
07-13-2018, 05:51 PM
We'll at least make the playoffs with that production. I don't think our wr's will be an issue this season. If Fitz can complete 60% of his passes or more, I could realistically see 1500 yds between them.