PDA

View Full Version : Impact of new redshirt rule

YoungB
07-10-2018, 10:25 PM
You know how in MLB you have September call ups and suddenly every team gets a little bigger and you can see some young guys play .

1. Is that what happens in game 9 now for NCAA football redshirted players ? If you haven?t played all season, suddenly you can play every game and keep your redshirt. Every roster grows.

2. Assuming this is the case, then wouldn?t it be to our advantage to schedule a weaker non conference late in the season to try to get those guys tons of reps?

YoungB

pilldawg
07-10-2018, 11:05 PM
You know how in MLB you have September call ups and suddenly every team gets a little bigger and you can see some young guys play .

1. Is that what happens in game 9 now for NCAA football redshirted players ? If you haven?t played all season, suddenly you can play every game and keep your redshirt. Every roster grows.

2. Assuming this is the case, then wouldn?t it be to our advantage to schedule a weaker non conference late in the season to try to get those guys tons of reps?

YoungB

To add to their end of the year run.

TUSK
07-11-2018, 01:25 AM
To add to their end of the year run.

yup, and it's gonna allow Bammer to string guys along so they don't transfer (if they are a value, depthwise)...

love the new rule.

Johnson85
07-11-2018, 04:55 AM

YoungB

Could present a weird dynamic in early season cupcake games. Players that could really contribute as extra depth, or even a primary player as they get used to college speed, may be held out while lesser players play, with the hopes that the borderline freshman will be fully ready for the last third of the season.

ShotgunDawg
07-11-2018, 07:28 AM
yup, and it's gonna allow Bammer to string guys along so they don't transfer (if they are a value, depthwise)...

love the new rule.

Don't you want guys to transfer though because 1. It allows you to sign more players and 2. It keeps your main competition from signing those same players.

dawgs
07-11-2018, 07:57 AM
Don't bowl/playoff/conf championships count towards the 4 game total?

dawgs
07-11-2018, 07:57 AM
Don't you want guys to transfer though because 1. It allows you to sign more players and 2. It keeps your main competition from signing those same players.

Yeah, bama needs to be able to process the deadweight.

MetEdDawg
07-11-2018, 08:43 AM
Yeah, bama needs to be able to process the deadweight.

All you have to do to these kids is say hey we aren't renewing your scholarship. You can walk on next year if you want but you won't be receiving a scholarship.

Scholarships are only one year in football if I'm not mistaken. So there's really no difference. This helps Bama and other teams more than folks realize because now some of these kids like an Alvin Kamara won't transfer. Get them touches during the year to keep them interested and they won't leave.

Cooterpoot
07-11-2018, 09:51 AM
All you have to do to these kids is say hey we aren't renewing your scholarship. You can walk on next year if you want but you won't be receiving a scholarship.

Scholarships are only one year in football if I'm not mistaken. So there's really no difference. This helps Bama and other teams more than folks realize because now some of these kids like an Alvin Kamara won't transfer. Get them touches during the year to keep them interested and they won't leave.

I believe that changed in 2015 or 16 signing class (could be wrong). It's 4 years now unless it's off the field issues. You can't process them if they suck and stay out of trouble in the class and on the streets. Granted, that's a lot of wiggle room.

dawgs
07-11-2018, 10:08 AM

Meh, I think it also helps programs that rely more on development like us because now we can get some redshirt kids get their feet wet and still have them for up to 4 full years.

TUSK
07-11-2018, 10:14 AM

That’s how I look at it. If ya want a kid to leave, don’t play him at all. If ya want to keep him lettem play in four games and keep the year of eligibility.

But I do see the other cats’ point.

Matty Dispatch
07-11-2018, 03:42 PM
I believe that changed in 2015 or 16 signing class (could be wrong). It's 4 years now unless it's off the field issues. You can't process them if they suck and stay out of trouble in the class and on the streets. Granted, that's a lot of wiggle room.

Programs can offer 4-year scholarships, but that has been rarely used. Pretty much everyone is still using 1-year scholarships.