PDA

View Full Version : Tenn & Bama to Play Baseball The Night Before Football Game

ShotgunDawg
07-10-2018, 05:30 PM
I found this interesting today & it's the first plan I've seen for an SEC school as to how they will use their 2 Fall games that they are now eligible to play

https://twitter.com/VinceSports/status/1016797991016062977. (http://.)

I see this two ways & it will be interesting to what Lemonis feels is best for MSU:

1. This is cool. It gives SEC a prime time feel in the Fall & gives the players something to prepare for in the Fall. If we did this, it would be cool to play at LSU the night before our football game there & maybe play a home game in Starkville the night before the FL, Auburn, or A&M games.

2. The downside of this that by playing competitive SEC type games in the Fall, it puts the coach in a difficult position. Does he play his best guys in an effort to win at the risk of making some players feel like they've already lost a starting position in the Fall? Do those players transfer at the mid-term? Or is it better to just play a lesser competitive game against Memphis, San Jacinto JC, Chipola, etc & play everyone?

Just though this was worth sharing.

BuckyIsAB****
07-10-2018, 05:38 PM
I found this interesting today & it's the first plan I've seen for an SEC school as to how they will use their 2 Fall games that they are now eligible to play

https://twitter.com/VinceSports/status/1016797991016062977

I see this two ways & it will be interesting to what Lemonis feels is best for MSU:

1. This is cool. It gives SEC a prime time feel in the Fall & gives the players something to prepare for in the Fall. If we did this, it would be cool to play at LSU the night before our football game there & maybe play a home game in Starkville the night before the FL, Auburn, or A&M games.

2. The downside of this that by playing competitive SEC type games in the Fall, it puts the coach in a difficult position. Does he play his best guys in an effort to win at the risk of making some players feel like they've already lost a starting position in the Fall? Do those players transfer at the mid-term? Or is it better to just play a lesser competitive game against Memphis, San Jacinto JC, Chipola, etc & play everyone?

Just though this was worth sharing.

Id say you play the best and play your best guys. Tension or a sense of urgency may be a better word and competitiveness is good amongst a team

ShotgunDawg
07-10-2018, 05:40 PM
Id say you play the best and play your best guys. Tension and competitiveness is good amongst a team

You run the risk of frustrating the other guys though while they could still transfer at Christmas break.

Not sure it's worth it.

I seen it dawg
07-10-2018, 05:42 PM
I think I'd prefer 2 mid tier games at most. Play guys in competitive situations as you need to see them when it's live. Meaning guys you are looking at to win a role. Not necessarily the 6-8 guys you are sure are gonna play all the time.

TNDawg35
07-10-2018, 05:44 PM
Play Memphis at Autozone then make Memphis come to Starkville. (Yes I know we already play them there during the yr)

BuckyIsAB****
07-10-2018, 05:58 PM
You run the risk of frustrating the other guys though while they could still transfer at Christmas break.

Not sure it's worth it.

Bye

msbulldog
07-10-2018, 06:14 PM
It won't count in standings, good to test your guys against better teams and will provide excellent games for fans in town for the football game. If your worried about losing players substitute liberally, you need to see how all your guys do in good competition.

dawgs
07-10-2018, 06:53 PM
I say play some good teams and play lots of guys. Pitchers wouldn't be going more than 1-2 innings apiece anyway, so shouldn't have any problem getting 5 or 6 guys work against sec bats, and then play most of your bench 4-5 innings too. Everyone that's competing for playing time should get 1-2 ABs. Maybe sit some vets like mangum and mcnamee who have plenty of sec experience and spread the innings and ABs to some of the young guys.

Todd4State
07-10-2018, 06:54 PM
I always figured we play someone like Delta State. It's kind of interesting that two SEC schools would play but if that's what Lemonis wants to do I'm good with it. I'd run it like MLB runs their spring training games and try to get everyone some playing time to see how they do against live fire. It would be a lot better IMO if they had four games because then you could kind of simulate a typical college baseball week with the three weekend guys and the midweek guy and instead of playing it in the fall I would do it the weekend before the season starts in February. I mean the NCAA bitches about the cold weather but we're going to play games in October and November now?

As far as the SEC season goes I'd like to see the SEC expand the SEC schedule to 36 games and the six games would be against teams from the other division that you don't play on the weekend. Basically it would be good for the league because it would force teams to pitch their midweek guys against better competition which would develop their pitchers even more for the postseason and I think it would be good for TV because you would have a SEC game on basically every day of the week except for Mondays because you would have the Tues-Weds midweek games, the Thurs-Fri-Sat games and then the Fri-Sat-Sun games.

LC Dawg
07-10-2018, 08:15 PM
If this is publicized very much it will probably shock those stupid mother****ers in Tuscaloosa to learn that they have a baseball team.

BiscuitEater
07-10-2018, 08:34 PM
OleMiss and USM at the updated Dude. Each team plays the other two. Fall Mississippi Governor's Cup!

TUSK
07-11-2018, 12:49 AM
What is this "baseball" of which ye speak...?

Damn, just when I thought the TSIO couldn't be less important, baseball gets injected... terrific.*

Pit Bull
07-11-2018, 01:22 AM
I say we play Delta State twice.

Johnson85
07-11-2018, 04:48 AM
I always figured we play someone like Delta State. It's kind of interesting that two SEC schools would play but if that's what Lemonis wants to do I'm good with it. I'd run it like MLB runs their spring training games and try to get everyone some playing time to see how they do against live fire. It would be a lot better IMO if they had four games because then you could kind of simulate a typical college baseball week with the three weekend guys and the midweek guy and instead of playing it in the fall I would do it the weekend before the season starts in February. I mean the NCAA bitches about the cold weather but we're going to play games in October and November now?

As far as the SEC season goes I'd like to see the SEC expand the SEC schedule to 36 games and the six games would be against teams from the other division that you don't play on the weekend. Basically it would be good for the league because it would force teams to pitch their midweek guys against better competition which would develop their pitchers even more for the postseason and I think it would be good for TV because you would have a SEC game on basically every day of the week except for Mondays because you would have the Tues-Weds midweek games, the Thurs-Fri-Sat games and then the Fri-Sat-Sun games.

So do you only get to play in two exhibition games? Or host two games. Playing an sec team presumably means you're going to have to do home and home to get teams to travel.

As afar as the weather, October should be fine. November could get dicey, especially at night.

msbulldog
07-11-2018, 06:17 AM

We might want to stick with SEC teams, rather than the giant-killer fighting okra's!

Todd4State
07-11-2018, 07:56 AM
So do you only get to play in two exhibition games? Or host two games. Playing an sec team presumably means you're going to have to do home and home to get teams to travel.

As afar as the weather, October should be fine. November could get dicey, especially at night.

Two exhibition games. I'm hoping it increases in the future.

msu15
07-11-2018, 09:56 AM

Why so we can get our ass kicked lol