PDA

View Full Version : My Biggest Question for Each Game This Fall

ShotgunDawg
07-10-2018, 12:21 PM
I thought this would be a fun exercise for a slow Tuesday in July.

With what we know RIGHT NOW, here is my biggest question mark for each game this season for MSU:

Stephen F. Austin - How will JoMo handle the new red shirt rule? If KT plays in this game, it's reasonable to believe that JoMo won't try to red shirt him since he'd likely need to save those 4 games for crucial situations. This could also be said for other positions. Will bear watching.

@ Kansas State - Turf monkey at 11:00 AM in Manhattan, KS. Every time we play on artificial turf, it seems like we suffer a massive injury. Throw that in with an odd, foreign 11:00 AM game in Manhattan, & this game has all the makings of an extremely odd game. Hopefully our talent just overwhelms them.

Louisiana Lafayette - With this being the 3rd game, which is WR is emerging? I believe this will be a great game to see which new WR will emerge & be a threat for the rest of the season. Anything can happen in game 1 & 2, but, if the same guy is making plays in the first 3 games, it is a great sign IMO.

@ Kentucky - Will we be looking ahead to the Florida game?

Florida - Can Mullen get a first year QB competent in the passing game by week 5 so that he can take advantage of having two elite WR transfers in Van Jefferson & former 5 star Ohio State player Trevon Grimes? Florida returns a bunch of starters & hit the jackpot in WR transfers over the offseason (how come this never happens to us?) but, while Mullen has been able to quickly develop QBs, he's mostly made them running threats much quicker than passing threats.

Auburn - Huge game, can we get off to a good start the week after the Florida game? If we can, I think we win the game.

OFF Week - What is our injury situation?

@ LSU - Mike Detillier says this is the best LSU defense in the past 5 years. Are they & can we stay patient on offense & compose ourselves in Death Valley?

Texas A&M - Massive trap game after the KY, FL, Aub, LSU run. Can we get up or are we sloppy?

La Tech - Another trap game the week before Bama. Think the U Mass game last year. Can we get up?

@ Bama - Is Tua a better matchup for our defense than Hurts? Hurts seemed to beat us with his legs, but Tua isn't quite as mobile or as big. With our pass rush, is more of a pocket passer better for us?

Arkansas - Is Chad Morris an offensive genius?

@ Ole Miss - Do we have anyone that can cover their WRs? It's odd & frustrating that OM has the perfect roster construction to give our 2018 team problems. They will be terrible in 2019, but in 2018, we are going to have to find a way to cover 3 top 2 round WR talents. Will SEC DCs adjust to Tamaflu with more film?

OK, that's my best shot in July.

Thoughts?

Maroons
07-10-2018, 12:36 PM
Did Detillier really say that? Better than the D with Jamal Adams, Beckwith, Tre White, Key, LaCouture, etc.?

Covercorner2
07-10-2018, 12:41 PM

With what we know RIGHT NOW, here is my biggest question mark for each game this season for MSU:

Stephen F. Austin - How will JoMo handle the new red shirt rule? If KT plays in this game, it's reasonable to believe that JoMo won't try to red shirt him since he'd likely need to save those 4 games for crucial situations. This could also be said for other positions. Will bear watching.

@ Kansas State - Turf monkey at 11:00 AM in Manhattan, KS. Every time we play on artificial turf, it seems like we suffer a massive injury. Throw that in with an odd, foreign 11:00 AM game in Manhattan, & this game has all the makings of an extremely odd game. Hopefully our talent just overwhelms them.

Louisiana Lafayette - With this being the 3rd game, which is WR is emerging? I believe this will be a great game to see which new WR will emerge & be a threat for the rest of the season. Anything can happen in game 1 & 2, but, if the same guy is making plays in the first 3 games, it is a great sign IMO.

Florida - Can Mullen get a first year QB competent in the passing game by week 5 so that he can take advantage of having two elite WR transfers in Van Jefferson & former 5 star Ohio State player Trevon Grimes? Florida returns a bunch of starters & hit the jackpot in WR transfers over the offseason (how come this never happens to us?) but, while Mullen has been able to quickly develop QBs, he's mostly made them running threats much quicker than passing threats.

Auburn - Huge game, can we get off to a good start the week after the Florida game? If we can, I think we win the game.

@ LSU - Mike Detillier says this is the best LSU defense in the past 5 years. Are they & can we stay patient on offense & compose ourselves in Death Valley?

Texas A&M - Massive trap game after the KY, FL, Aub, LSU run. Can we get up or are we sloppy?

La Tech - Another trap game the week before Bama. Think the U Mass game last year. Can we get up?

@ Bama - Is Tua a better matchup for our defense than Hurts? Hurts seemed to beat us with his legs, but Tua isn't quite as mobile or as big. With our pass rush, is more of a pocket passer better for us?

@ Ole Miss - Do we have anyone that can cover their WRs? It's odd & frustrating that OM has the perfect roster construction to give our 2018 team problems. They will be terrible in 2019, but in 2018, we are going to have to find a way to cover 3 top 2 round WR talents. Will SEC DCs adjust to Tamaflu with more film?

Thoughts?

@ Kansas State - Turf monkey at 11:00 AM in Manhattan, KS. Every time we play on artificial turf, it seems like we suffer a massive injury. Throw that in with an odd, foreign 11:00 AM game in Manhattan, & this game has all the makings of an extremely odd game. Hopefully our talent just overwhelms them. While the game is on the road, it is at 11AM, and, unlike Ole Miss, we matchup perfectly with them. They are like a lite version of what we were last year. We should be able to wear them down and "out-athlete" them. Something like 35-21. Given they will probably be ranked, I think this is a perfect P5 non- conference game for us this year. Would much rather play them than a team like Oregon, Oklahoma State, etc.

@ LSU - Mike Detillier says this is the best LSU defense in the past 5 years. Are they & can we stay patient on offense & compose ourselves in Death Valley?I just noticed this today, but we are off the week before this game and guess what LSU's schedule looks like that same week? UGA.

@ Ole Miss[/B] - Do we have anyone that can cover their WRs? It's odd & frustrating that OM has the perfect roster construction to give our 2018 team problems. They will be terrible in 2019, but in 2018, we are going to have to find a way to cover 3 top 2 round WR talents. Will SEC DCs adjust to Tamaflu with more film?Yes, we do as long as we have the right guys on them. See: 2016 Jamal Peters vs. 2017 JT Gray. Also, Taamu will face an adjustment this year. He only performed well against terrible defenses last year. His numbers weren't great against us. Yes, they had some big plays, but we really lost due to turnovers and Fitz being out.

Bothrops
07-10-2018, 12:46 PM
Florida is a huge game.

ShotgunDawg
07-10-2018, 12:56 PM
Did Detillier really say that? Better than the D with Jamal Adams, Beckwith, Tre White, Key, LaCouture, etc.?

He did say that this morning on OOB

Covercorner2
07-10-2018, 01:04 PM

They are VERY thin at CB and nickle, especially if Fulton isn't eligible.

msudawglb
07-10-2018, 01:04 PM

He probably thinks that because they are practicing against that porous OL of theirs.

ShotgunDawg
07-10-2018, 01:13 PM
I think Detillier gets a little inaccurate this time of year once all the LSU coaches & fans get in his ear due to excitement for the upcoming season.

He's really good in retrospect of a season & good during the season, once the team reveals itself.

BrunswickDawg
07-10-2018, 01:17 PM

Thoughts?

LSU may be good on D - but will they score?? I say no. Steve Ensminger's history as an OC says No.
In 2016 with Ensminger as Interim OC (after Les was fired) LSU went 6-2 - with Fournette and Guice - and only had #10 Scoring Offense in the SEC and #7 Total Offense. With Fournette (yes, I know he was injured) and Guice.

In 2008 with Auburn, Ensminger put together the #8 Total Offense with the #10 Scoring Offense in the SEC. Steve Ensminger is the co-architect of the infamous 3-2 game.

In 1997-1998 Clemson, Ensminger's offense went from #62 nationally in Scoring Offense to #89.

He was pretty good at A&M from 94-96 - but this says to me the last time his offense was innovative and effective I was still in college. That's a long freaking time ago.

preachermatt83
07-10-2018, 01:23 PM
Good post shotgun. Enjoyed reading.

TaleofTwoDogs
07-10-2018, 03:57 PM
How do you figure that JoMo can even entertain redshirting KT this year. We have only 4 QBs on the roster with Kirk and Burnett as the other two. KT is one play away from being our starter if Fitz is injured again. If the SFA game is a blow out (hopefully) you would not want your starter to play full-time just to save KT a RS year. Plus, if KT is next year's starter he needs as many snaps as possible.

BuckyIsAB****
07-10-2018, 04:03 PM

Thoughts?

OM shouldnt have the ball enough in that game for it to matter. Ta'amu didnt have a great completion percentage against us and as its been said they lose by 2 TDs if it werent for the turnovers.

We wont lose that game. They are going to be good on the OL, WR, and Ta'amu aint bad despite what some say but it shouldnt be enough to beat us.

If we arent up for Texas A&M at home we have problems.

The rest I agree with. I would say @ Bama is time for us to walk in turn around and lock the door and get ready to fight. Bama beats people before they ever step on the field. We may have changed that last year. Also it will be Bamas toughest test so far even if its at home

I seen it dawg
07-10-2018, 05:56 PM
All those games except bama the question will be our margin of victory. Bama will be can we go in and play our best game and our HC not be a ***** and play to win. Pretty simple.

preachermatt83
07-10-2018, 10:32 PM
How do you figure that JoMo can even entertain redshirting KT this year. We have only 4 QBs on the roster with Kirk and Burnett as the other two. KT is one play away from being our starter if Fitz is injured again. If the SFA game is a blow out (hopefully) you would not want your starter to play full-time just to save KT a RS year. Plus, if KT is next year's starter he needs as many snaps as possible.

Mayden

msstate7
07-11-2018, 11:35 AM
All those games except bama the question will be our margin of victory. Bama will be can we go in and play our best game and our HC not be a ***** and play to win. Pretty simple.

11-1 at worst? I think you getting carried away. I say 9-3 or 10-2. I really hope you're right though

I think auburn with their junior/senior WRs with stidham could give us issues in the secondary. I feel the same way about tua and bama WRs