PDA

View Full Version : Yeski Out

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2018, 05:58 PM
And here we go again.....

As for Yeski, you can hardly blame him, but I'm not sure this is really in the best interest of his career.

By going to the SEC, he had the opportunity to really put himself in position to be a future head coach at any school in the country due to the recruiting territory that SEC can cover. By staying at Oregon State, he certainly has a great job & will be a future head coach, but that job will likely be on the West coast. Outside a few ultra successful head coaches, most West Coast assistants stay on the west coast because they really only have experience recruiting the West Coast.

Again, I don't blame Yeski one bit, but there were legitimate career reasons for him to come to MSU over staying at Oregon State.

https://i.imgur.com/MFJL7pY.jpg

Dawg2003
07-09-2018, 06:03 PM
He probably knows he wants to be a head coach on the west coast. I don’t think anyone really thought he would come here.

Bully13
07-09-2018, 06:04 PM
Yeski Trolled Cohen for more Beaver Bucks.

MarketingBully
07-09-2018, 06:17 PM
He’s been at Oregon State since 2009. If he wanted to be a head coach, he’d already be a head coach. It’s pretty obvious he just wants to be a pitching coach. Casey ain’t going anywhere for at least 10 years. Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes people are satisfied where they are. I didn’t think he fit us very well anyway. In the end if we hire Scott Foxhall, we will end up with the guy who fits us best anyway.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2018, 06:17 PM
He probably knows he wants to be a head coach on the west coast. I don’t think anyone really thought he would come here.

Probably and that's probably why he stayed

Dawg2003
07-09-2018, 06:46 PM
So now Kendall Rogers said we are thinking of keeping Gary as pitching coach. Is Hendo really a good pitching coach? I don’t know enough about pitching to have an opinion.

RocketDawg
07-09-2018, 06:50 PM
I don't know where he grew up, but unless it was in the south, moving from Oregon to Starkville would be a huge culture shock.

civildawg
07-09-2018, 06:53 PM
I?ve come to conclude that Kendall Rogers knows absolutely nothing and is basically a mouthpiece for agents and their clients

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2018, 06:54 PM
So now Kendall Rogers said we are thinking of keeping Gary as pitching coach. Is Hendo really a good pitching coach? I don’t know enough about pitching to have an opinion.

I wouldn't.

Gary's style as a pitching coach goes completely against what I believe in. It's non-progressive and would be a major disservice to Ginn and Stewart.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2018, 06:56 PM
I?ve come to conclude that Kendall Rogers knows absolutely nothing and is basically a mouthpiece for agents and their clients

Yup and he's always positive. Doesn't give you the truth.

Dawg2003
07-09-2018, 07:00 PM

This seems to be likely the more I follow him.

Bully13
07-09-2018, 07:03 PM

That may very well be the best post of the day. I'm gonna rep it.

Dawg2003
07-09-2018, 07:04 PM
I wouldn't.

Gary's style as a pitching coach goes completely against what I believe in. It's non-progressive and would be a major disservice to Ginn and Stewart.

Just from someone with no expertise in this, it seemed like our pitching just imploded on multiple occasions. I don’t know if that’s lack of talent or coaching or what. No disrespect to Billingsley, but I could never figure out why he was our Sunday starter and not JP France. But I’m not an expert in this.

wmccgc
07-09-2018, 07:05 PM
Yeskie said No-skie?

I seen it dawg
07-09-2018, 07:12 PM
Don't understand how people really believed yeskie was gonna leave up there. Again it's baseball not football. Football guys chase money while baseball guys don't. Baseball guys get a chance to be big at home they have a hard time leaving. Ever.

And for **** sakes please no on henderson. So tired of pitching from behind all the damn time and then the tempo from allowing those baserunners makes us dead on defense. Our pitching staffs under Henderson pitch with no intelligence or intensity. **** that.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2018, 07:15 PM
Just from someone with no expertise in this, it seemed like our pitching just imploded on multiple occasions. I don’t know if that’s lack of talent or coaching or what. No disrespect to Billingsley, but I could never figure out why he was our Sunday starter and not JP France. But I’m not an expert in this.

I'll make it simple by reducing the debate into 2 camps.

Old school - Gary Henderson - Reducing athleticism in the delivery by slowing down the delivery with the goal of increasing command, control, and feel. This can be very effective in college baseball but erodes pro potential.

New school - Wes Johnson, Yeski, Derrik Johnson, Ron Whoolforth, Sarloos: - Increasing athleticism in the delivery and increasing the athlete himself in order to build stuff, while eliminating mechanical inefficiencies to increase strike throwing while relying on control over command & technology to help maximize the player's ceiling. This style takes more technical
scientific expertise while also requiring more patience with the player, but he payoff is tremendous as you get a higher ceiling player that also reaches his ceiling.

I seen it dawg
07-09-2018, 07:28 PM
Get to advantage counts and stay there. Our mental game is absolute dogshit.

Bully13
07-09-2018, 07:31 PM
We can do better than Henderson I would assume. He's an older guy and I'd prefer a younger guy. I deserve a rep for that simply based on the fact I'm 55. Emotionally, I'm torn watching him hug and kiss his wife after the win in Music City. I was chopping onions during that deal.

Cooterpoot
07-09-2018, 07:31 PM
If we keep Gary, this whole damn coaching hire is a 17ing mess. Cohen will have 17 ‘d this shit up. I don’t believe Gary will be the guy though.

I seen it dawg
07-09-2018, 07:34 PM
I can't believe there is any way Cohen would think entertaining keeping henderson would be smarter than shitting on himself for fun.

Turfdawg67
07-09-2018, 07:34 PM

The IB has hired him twice as a pitching coach so he undoubtedly believes he's a good one...

I seen it dawg
07-09-2018, 07:38 PM
The IB has hired him twice as a pitching coach so he undoubtedly believes he's a good one...

Cohen also was dropping bunts in the first inning with the 3 hole hitter

Turfdawg67
07-09-2018, 07:41 PM

Agreed. Someone on Twitter suggested that Agents were giving him a kickback, he got insulted. Ha! That's exactly what's going on.

Goldendawg
07-09-2018, 07:46 PM
Cohen also was dropping bunts in the first inning with the 3 hole hitter

I'm confused. Doesn't Cohen's "IB nickname" mean intense bunter?*** P.S. My wife heard at the beauty shop that we were going to give the best pitching coach in MLB the most $ in the history of the game to come to MSU. None of them knew his name however!*** Hail State!

somebodyshotmypaw
07-09-2018, 07:50 PM
I'm confused. Doesn't Cohen's "IB nickname" mean intense bunter?*** P.S. My wife heard at the beauty shop that we were going to give the best pitching coach in MLB the most $ in the history of the game to come to MSU. None of them knew his name however!*** Hail State!

If you don't think Cohen is an intense bastard, you should have seen his rant in a parking lot he had about something being erroneously said recently about one of our players by a message board poster. And he addressed it on Bo Bounds show also. He can still get intense about dumbassery.

Goldendawg
07-09-2018, 07:54 PM
If you don't think Cohen is an intense bastard, you should have seen his rant in a parking lot he had about something being erroneously said recently about one of our players by a message board poster. And he addressed it on Bo Bounds show also. He can still get intense about dumbassery.

Check the **** regarding the bunting while Cohen was BB coach. It was humor like my wife friends at the beauty shop knowing who the pitching coach will be. Hail State in all ways!

The Federalist Engineer
07-09-2018, 07:57 PM

So Cohen regularly visits ED, SPS, Gene? You don't say, wonder if he posts

somebodyshotmypaw
07-09-2018, 08:02 PM
So Cohen regularly visits ED, SPS, Gene? You don't say, wonder if he posts

I think he was notified by several people connected to the team. That is what it appeared to be, but I don't know that for fact.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2018, 08:36 PM

I'm sure it wasn't much more than what he said on the radio during the CWS

Todd4State
07-09-2018, 09:07 PM
The Yeskie thing never seemed likely to me. I think Henderson is also unlikely as well. I'd go with Foxhall or Dave Therneau before I even think about Henderson.

Todd4State
07-09-2018, 09:08 PM
I think he was notified by several people connected to the team. That is what it appeared to be, but I don't know that for fact.

It has been known for years that the AD has people that read MSU web sites.

preachermatt83
07-09-2018, 09:16 PM
It has been known for years that the AD has people that read MSU web sites.

No doubt. I can guarantee you there are people in the athletic dept that frequent this site as much as many of us do. Some with “associate AD of” in their titles.

BorneDawg
07-09-2018, 09:36 PM

Well I can tell you the players love Henderson! And played their hearts out for him this season. Not saying I like him as head coach but players will play hard for him

ScottH
07-09-2018, 09:37 PM
No doubt. I can guarantee you there are people in the athletic dept that frequent this site as much as many of us do. Some with “associate AD of” in their titles.

For certain one does more frequently than I do.

Todd4State
07-09-2018, 09:38 PM
Well I can tell you the players love Henderson! And played their hearts out for him this season. Not saying I like him as head coach but players will play hard for him

They played hard for Ron Polk II as well.

AlSwearengen
07-09-2018, 09:46 PM
I don’t think i have ever seen an interim that wanted the head job be retained as an asst. Has it ever happened? There are too many dangers, even if all coaches are honorable. There will be players that are more loyal to the interim. Too many potential problems even if everyone involved tries to do the right thing.

skadoosh14
07-09-2018, 09:55 PM
Wait, are you telling me a position coach of a national championship team didn't want to leave that team for the exact same job elsewhere? Are you also telling me that the National Champions are willing to give pay raises to their staff? That?s so wild.

Look, obviously we have one of the most historic college baseball programs of all time, but these rumors are getting ridiculous. Y'all are starting to sound like the TAMU weirdos. Why don't we go all in on Nick Saban to be our third base coach?

bigplayslay
07-09-2018, 10:37 PM
So now Kendall Rogers said we are thinking of keeping Gary as pitching coach. Is Hendo really a good pitching coach? I don?t know enough about pitching to have an opinion.

I know he?s respected throughout the SEC and all. But this year it really seemed like he was always leaving pitchers in too long and I didn?t see improvement out of anyone but Cole Gordon. I?m no expert but I just don?t see it with Hendo.

Pit Bull
07-09-2018, 10:50 PM
So now Kendall Rogers said we are thinking of keeping Gary as pitching coach. Is Hendo really a good pitching coach? I don?t know enough about pitching to have an opinion.

Actually, Hendoo is very highly thought of nationwide as a pitching coach by his peers. Only on EliteDawgs is he thought to be substandard. Now that Cohen has opted to go another route on the HC job, Hendoo probably isn't interested in staying at MSU since he wanted the HC job. I don't know of any other openings at D-1 schools, but there may be some. Next year the FSU head job comes open as Mike Martin will step down.

Todd4State
07-10-2018, 12:13 AM
Wait, are you telling me a position coach of a national championship team didn't want to leave that team for the exact same job elsewhere? Are you also telling me that the National Champions are willing to give pay raises to their staff? That?s so wild.

Look, obviously we have one of the most historic college baseball programs of all time, but these rumors are getting ridiculous. Y'all are starting to sound like the TAMU weirdos. Why don't we go all in on Nick Saban to be our third base coach?

It's not us putting it out- it was our AD on the coaching search and this was more from Kendall Rogers than anything.

The MSU media people have simply been saying that Yeskie was a candidate and the only MSU media person saying it was close to a done deal was Joel T Coleman.

I've been pretty skeptical personally that it would be Yeskie from the start and if you ask my opinion I think it's going to be Foxhall but I do have anything definitive to base that on other than he's in the region and has SEC experience.

Todd4State
07-10-2018, 12:16 AM
Actually, Hendoo is very highly thought of nationwide as a pitching coach by his peers. Only on EliteDawgs is he thought to be substandard. Now that Cohen has opted to go another route on the HC job, Hendoo probably isn't interested in staying at MSU since he wanted the HC job. I don't know of any other openings at D-1 schools, but there may be some. Next year the FSU head job comes open as Mike Martin will step down.

Henderson is respected in the same way that Polk was respected. He was good in his time but the thing is the game and philosophies change and if you don't have someone that is up to date and on the ball you will fall behind in this game quickly. That's what happened to Polk in the 2000's. There is more to it than "knowing baseball".

There is a reason why Cohen didn't hire Henderson- and that's the main reason why.

Todd4State
07-10-2018, 12:22 AM
And I'll add- if I'm Gary Henderson right now and MSU wanted to pay me six figures to hang out and be a baseball analyst and scout opponents which can be done on video nowadays sign me up for that. I'd much rather do that than coach the Cal-Rancho Cucamounga State Iguanas where I'd have to recruit, manage the team, and deal with assistants and the fact that I'm coaching in the desert with no resources.

ETDawg
07-10-2018, 05:59 AM
Haven’t had time to read all the various threads about PC so don’t know if previously mentioned but FWIW was told by someone close to program that Roy O was interviewed for PC.

I seen it dawg
07-10-2018, 06:03 AM
Oswalt might be fine but hasn't he been doing nothing but riding a tractor the last few years? And has never coached to my knowledge? Hell he only has mlb experience over me but shit at least I've coached and have a Masters degree. Hell I'll take it let me interview.

Or let's go with a Foxhall type who has been doing it 24/7

Madisonmd
07-10-2018, 06:10 AM
If Roy Oswalt is in consideration, we are really desperate. Just find this hard to believe.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-10-2018, 07:24 AM
I have to believe talking to Oswalt was just a courtesy interview to a local former big leaguer who supports MSU.

CoachT14
07-10-2018, 09:20 AM
And I'll add- if I'm Gary Henderson right now and MSU wanted to pay me six figures to hang out and be a baseball analyst and scout opponents which can be done on video nowadays sign me up for that. I'd much rather do that than coach the Cal-Rancho Cucamounga State Iguanas where I'd have to recruit, manage the team, and deal with assistants and the fact that I'm coaching in the desert with no resources.

Man if we end up with Henderson as pitching coach, this might be the two most disappointing hires you could’ve imagined for us.

was21
07-10-2018, 05:10 PM
Some people just like the west coast and have different priorities in life. Some people like the deep south and have different priorities in life.

KB21
07-11-2018, 07:39 PM
Pat Casey is going to retire soon, so Yeskie is probably going to get the OSU job when he retires.

maroonmania
07-11-2018, 08:04 PM
Anyone decent out their actually interested in our pitching coach position and not just using us for a pay raise?

MarketingBully
07-11-2018, 08:58 PM
Pat Casey is going to retire soon, so Yeskie is probably going to get the OSU job when he retires.

Honestly, does he want to be a HC? He’s been there since 2009. We should have targeted Foxhall and gotten it done. Yeskie never made sense to me.