PDA

View Full Version : So, olemiss got the 39th pick thru the draft?

AlSwearengen
07-08-2018, 08:13 PM
A left handed pitcher from Florida. The kid was the 66th rated player on the site that I was looking at. Amazing how that underachieving bunch does it.

msstate7
07-08-2018, 08:16 PM
Big for them. Nice replacement for rolison

maroonmania
07-08-2018, 08:53 PM
Strange indeed. We only got Ginn because he was a lifelong MSU baseball fan. We only might get Carter because of the wrist issue which caused the Braves to lowball him. I don't know how OM gets a guy from FL, who has no direct ties to OM that I'm aware of, who is picked in the supplemental first round to stick with them? As far as I know we've never had a guy stay with us picked that high until this year, and as stated, both had unusual circumstances.

DownwardDawg
07-08-2018, 09:34 PM
It won’t matter. They will continue to choke and we have finally decided to do what it takes to win a Natty in baseball!

MarketingBully
07-08-2018, 09:43 PM
A left handed pitcher from Florida. The kid was the 66th rated player on the site that I was looking at. Amazing how that underachieving bunch does it.

Well, to be fair, four players didn’t sign and two of those were MSU signees. Ole Miss could easily say the same thing about us. And if Carter Stewart ends up in Starkville are we really going to split hairs here?

MarketingBully
07-08-2018, 09:46 PM
Strange indeed. We only got Ginn because he was a lifelong MSU baseball fan. We only might get Carter because of the wrist issue which caused the Braves to lowball him. I don't know how OM gets a guy from FL, who has no direct ties to OM that I'm aware of, who is picked in the supplemental first round to stick with them? As far as I know we've never had a guy stay with us picked that high until this year, and as stated, both had unusual circumstances.

Vanderbilt and Florida got Beede and Singer due to similar situations we possibly will get Stewart. If we do wind up with Stewart, you will hear them bitching to the high heavens about our luck.

maroonmania
07-08-2018, 09:56 PM
Vanderbilt and Florida got Beede and Singer due to similar situations we possibly will get Stewart. If we do wind up with Stewart, you will hear them bitching to the high heavens about our luck.

Yep, and apparently they didn't need any such "luck" to get their guy to not sign which is why its so strange. As far as I can tell, in all our years of signees we've never had a first rounder not sign or even second round for that matter until this year. And I'm pretty sure that is true going all the way back to the early Polk days. If the OM guy had an injury issue like Stewart, Beede and Singer then it would make a ton more sense. And we already know that Vandy and to a degree FL (lottery state) play by different rules than we do. OM does not.

Todd4State
07-08-2018, 10:48 PM
Yep, and apparently they didn't need any such "luck" to get their guy to not sign which is why its so strange. As far as I can tell, in all our years of signees we've never had a first rounder not sign or even second round for that matter until this year. And I'm pretty sure that is true going all the way back to the early Polk days. If the OM guy had an injury issue like Stewart, Beede and Singer then it would make a ton more sense. And we already know that Vandy and to a degree FL (lottery state) play by different rules than we do. OM does not.

The thing is a lot of fans have the perception that Ole Miss is getting high picks through the draft and that's not really the case. Rolison was drafted in the 37th round I believe or somewhere in that area. He was the highest thought of prospect in their class a couple of years ago. Hoglund is the first guy that they have gotten from the first round since Lance Lynn which was around 2004 or 2005. A lot of the guys in their class a couple of years ago had some issues with their game which is why they haven't had the success they were projected to mainly by Baseball America and D1Baseball.com. Their pitchers have been getting lit up in the Cape so far. I have questions about whether Cooper Johnson will hit. Dilliard is doing well but I'm not sure what his position is going to be in the pros. Catcher? Kessinger is probably a four year guy unless he just wants to go pro- but I'm guessing he stays because of his family.

The thing is we have a lot of guys that have been drafted and are probably more highly thought of than their guys- Small, GINN, Eric Cerentola was a top 200 guy per MLB.com, if we get him Stewart, Tanner Allen was drafted, Jordan Westburg, Josh Hatcher was drafted by the Angels, Hayden Jones wanted second round money and didn't get drafted, Mangum, and etc.

We have more than our share of talent but I guess because Baseball America blew up their class a couple of years ago our fans bought into it even though they probably won't accomplish what our guys have.

Todd4State
07-08-2018, 10:53 PM

That's fine with me.

Another thing people need to understand is we're starting to see more and more guys go to college. It's been trending that way for awhile now and I suspect with both MSU and Ole Miss being in the SEC both of us are going to get our share. That's why it's a good thing that Cohen has been focusing on recruiting with his coaching hires because that's the only way to identify players that we can get through the draft.

I'm not sure that four guys drafted in the first round is normal though. If it is you're going to start seeing MLB draft high school guys less and less.

ShotgunDawg
07-08-2018, 11:17 PM
The thing is a lot of fans have the perception that Ole Miss is getting high picks through the draft and that's not really the case. Rolison was drafted in the 37th round I believe or somewhere in that area. He was the highest thought of prospect in their class a couple of years ago. Hoglund is the first guy that they have gotten from the first round since Lance Lynn which was around 2004 or 2005. A lot of the guys in their class a couple of years ago had some issues with their game which is why they haven't had the success they were projected to mainly by Baseball America and D1Baseball.com. Their pitchers have been getting lit up in the Cape so far. I have questions about whether Cooper Johnson will hit. Dilliard is doing well but I'm not sure what his position is going to be in the pros. Catcher? Kessinger is probably a four year guy unless he just wants to go pro- but I'm guessing he stays because of his family.

The thing is we have a lot of guys that have been drafted and are probably more highly thought of than their guys- Small, GINN, Eric Cerentola was a top 200 guy per MLB.com, if we get him Stewart, Tanner Allen was drafted, Jordan Westburg, Josh Hatcher was drafted by the Angels, Hayden Jones wanted second round money and didn't get drafted, Mangum, and etc.

We have more than our share of talent but I guess because Baseball America blew up their class a couple of years ago our fans bought into it even though they probably won't accomplish what our guys have.

Off the record Rolison turned down 1.7 mil in the draft out of high school.

Todd, you've got to stop looking at what round high school kids go in, particularly after the 10th round. You mention this
often and it's just not an accurate representation of the talent of the player.

Here's how the Rolison thing worked in high school.

Team X decided that Rolison was a 2nd round caliber player.
Team X called Rolison in the 2nd round and asked him if he'd sign for 2nd round money (1.7 mil)
Rolison said no.
Therefore, Team X decided to take someone else.
Team X then decides, hey let's take him in the 37th round when the picks no longer matter. Then we'll have his rights in case he changes his mind or we find more money at the deadline to throw at him.

This happens every.single.year. From Donnie Everett to Johnathan India, all were drafted late due to the same exact process. It's not the round that defines a player's talent, it's the money they were offered.

ShotgunDawg
07-08-2018, 11:25 PM
That's fine with me.

Another thing people need to understand is we're starting to see more and more guys go to college. It's been trending that way for awhile now and I suspect with both MSU and Ole Miss being in the SEC both of us are going to get our share. That's why it's a good thing that Cohen has been focusing on recruiting with his coaching hires because that's the only way to identify players that we can get through the draft.

I'm not sure that four guys drafted in the first round is normal though. If it is you're going to start seeing MLB draft high school guys less and less.

It's about the same. Some guys go to college and others sign. Kendall Rogers and others want you to believe there is a trend but there really isn't.

As for MLB teams, their strategy will always be fluid depending on where they believe the best value is.

If most teams are drafting college guys, then you should draft high school guys because you can get more of them to mitigate your risk. If teams are drafting a bunch of high school guys, then the best option is to draft more college guys with higher floors.

The key is to be different so that you can spread your risk.

The problem with college guys is that you have to pay for production and all teams like the same 40 players. With high school guys you can make bank because you can out scout other teams and get a good player without having to pay for college production. Kyle Wright cost 1.7 mil out of high school and 5 mil out of college.

Could've had Jonathan India for 1 mil out of high school but now he cost 5.3 mil out of college. See my point?

Todd4State
07-08-2018, 11:40 PM
Off the record Rolison turned down 1.7 mil in the draft out of high school.

Todd, you've got to stop looking at what round high school kids go in, particularly after the 10th round. You mention this
often and it's just not an accurate representation of the talent of the player.

Here's how the Rolison thing worked in high school.

Team X decided that Rolison was a 2nd round caliber player.
Team X called Rolison in the 2nd round and asked him if he'd sign for 2nd round money (1.7 mil)
Rolison said no.
Therefore, Team X decided to take someone else.
Team X then decides, hey let's take him in the 37th round when the picks no longer matter. Then we'll have his rights in case he changes his mind or we find more money at the deadline to throw at him.

This happens every.single.year. From Donnie Everett to Johnathan India, all were drafted late due to the same exact process. It's not the round that defines a player's talent, it's the money they were offered.

All I'm saying is that Rolison wasn't a guy that was actually drafted in the first round like Ginn that they got through.

Cooterpoot
07-09-2018, 12:05 AM
Well, to be fair, four players didn’t sign and two of those were MSU signees. Ole Miss could easily say the same thing about us. And if Carter Stewart ends up in Starkville are we really going to split hairs here?

We aren’t underachievers. We’re overachievers.

Tbonewannabe
07-09-2018, 08:41 AM
I saw something recently that the MLB Commissioner said players were better developed going through college first. I think teams are realizing that most players need to mature and college helps with that. Being on your own in the minors isn't ideal for most kids.

msstate7
07-09-2018, 08:45 AM
I saw something recently that the MLB Commissioner said players were better developed going through college first. I think teams are realizing that most players need to mature and college helps with that. Being on your own in the minors isn't ideal for most kids.

17 of the 30 1st round picks were HS kids.

Mlb routinely signs even younger international kids

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2018, 08:48 AM

That what the media like Rogers and others reported, but that's not what Manfred said. Manfred said that college was a viable development path, but that it was better.

Again, college baseball media distorting the message.

Additionally, Manfred is in no way qualified to make that statement since he has never scouted or developed a player.

Tbonewannabe
07-09-2018, 08:49 AM

And yet MLB is over 60% college vs no college experience. In that 40% would include all foreign players and the US high school kids. It seems like unless you are a 1st or 2nd rounder out of high school, you have almost zero chance of making it to MLB.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2018, 08:50 AM

It only takes 1 player to change an organization. You take the guy you think is the best player regardless of whether he went to college.

ShotgunDawg
07-09-2018, 08:51 AM
And yet MLB is over 60% college vs no college experience. In that 40% would include all foreign players and the US high school kids. It seems like unless you are a 1st or 2nd rounder out of high school, you have almost zero chance of making it to MLB.

Of course MLB is. The draft is about 5-1 college kids vs high school kids. Infinitly more college guys are being pumped into the system each year. It's only logical that MLB has more of them in it.

Pit Bull
07-09-2018, 10:57 PM

Think the LandSharkRebs were the only baseball team to haul in a #1 ranked class without losing a single one several years ago. That is practically impossible historically speaking.

I seen it dawg
07-10-2018, 05:59 AM
Annnnnnddddd still got their shit shoved in in their own regional as a national seed by some team. Click an ad shitbirds.

BB30
07-10-2018, 09:32 AM
Of course MLB is. The draft is about 5-1 college kids vs high school kids. Infinitly more college guys are being pumped into the system each year. It's only logical that MLB has more of them in it.

That is part of it. MLB teams also have a much more accurate representation of what an SEC player will be at the next level than a high school kid. A top five round pick coming out of an SEC school is a much safer bet to make it than a high school kid IMO.

Once you get out of the first round with high school kids it really becomes a crap shoot. The organization I was with had a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round pick all high schoolers and none made it to the league and all were processed in 2-3 years with the organization with none making it higher than low a ball.

All of them had pretty good upside but a bunch of question marks. The best high school kid out of the bunch ended up being an 11th round pick with tremendous upside and had had zero coaching coming up. He is now in triple A and will have a shot at making the 40 man next year. Signed for 200K.

ShotgunDawg
07-10-2018, 10:06 AM
That is part of it. MLB teams also have a much more accurate representation of what an SEC player will be at the next level than a high school kid. A top five round pick coming out of an SEC school is a much safer bet to make it than a high school kid IMO.

Once you get out of the first round with high school kids it really becomes a crap shoot. The organization I was with had a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round pick all high schoolers and none made it to the league and all were processed in 2-3 years with the organization with none making it higher than low a ball.

All of them had pretty good upside but a bunch of question marks. The best high school kid out of the bunch ended up being an 11th round pick with tremendous upside and had had zero coaching coming up. He is now in triple A and will have a shot at making the 40 man next year. Signed for 200K.

Completely agree