PDA

View Full Version : Let?s talk hypotheticals for 2019 Baseball Season

stalkingpoon
07-07-2018, 11:22 AM
Let?s assume we get Carter to come along with Ginn. What does our rotation look like?

Small-Fridays
Keegan james- Saturday?s
Carter Stewart- Sunday?s
Breaux/???/Zane/ Midweek

Ginn
Gordon
Self

OF
Rowdy, Mangum, McNamee

1B-Allen
2B-Halter
SS-Westburg/Alexander
3B-Foscue/Ginn
DH-Ginn
C-Skelton/Jones

I think that squad would be hosting at the minimum, very easily National seed. New coach, new ballpark, let?s hang some new numbers on the wall after next season!

Bulldog1
07-07-2018, 11:35 AM
Friday- Small
Saturday- Stewart
Sunday- James

Midweek- Plumlee

Bullpen-
Breaux
Ashcraft
Gordon
Self
Price
Spring
Ginn (Closer)

Lineup-
1. Mangum CF
2. Allen 2B
3. Rowdey LF
4. MacNamee RF
5. Ginn 3B
6. Westburg 1B
7. Halter DH
8. Foscue SS
9. Jones C

• I said Foscue at shortstop, but Ginn, Westburg, and Halter could all get a shot at shortstop.

AlSwearengen
07-07-2018, 11:38 AM
If we do pull it off and get Stewart on campus, I will be expecting him to redshirt after having surgery. I just can’t believe that the braves would react the way they did over an injury that doesn’t need some type of surgery.

BulldogDX55
07-07-2018, 12:40 PM
If we do pull it off and get Stewart on campus, I will be expecting him to redshirt after having surgery. I just can’t believe that the braves would react the way they did over an injury that doesn’t need some type of surgery.

Agreed. Latest talk, though they could be full of it, is that the reason he is weighing JUCO vs us so heavily is that the injury might be severe enough that he might not pitch next Spring. If that is the case, he'll have to use a year to recover and then have a year or two to show that he's fine or he'll lose a ton of draft stock.

AlSwearengen
07-07-2018, 12:50 PM
Agreed. Latest talk, though they could be full of it, is that the reason he is weighing JUCO vs us so heavily is that the injury might be severe enough that he might not pitch next Spring. If that is the case, he'll have to use a year to recover and then have a year or two to show that he's fine or he'll lose a ton of draft stock.

Maybe I am not following (wouldn’t be the first time) but it seems logical to me that the more severe the injury, with more required rehab and recovery, the less attractive juco would be.

The juco route would only make sense if he needs no surgery and maybe just a couple months of rest.

The Federalist Engineer
07-07-2018, 02:06 PM
Josh Hatcher is gonna have something to say in the fall. Cannizaro called him the most advanced freshman hitter on the team.

Plus, looking at his frame, he could easily add +20 lbs and completely transform himself.

He looks 6-2 as listed but certainly not 182 lbs as listed.

msstate7
07-07-2018, 02:16 PM
If carter is at state and healthy, he could very well be the Friday night guy. I love small, but his stuff isn't on Stewart's level. MLB pipeline rated stewart's fastball and curve at 65. BA rated his curveball as a double plus pitch. Mid-90s fastball, mid-80s curve, and a decent change... college hitters rarely see that level of stuff.

The Federalist Engineer
07-07-2018, 02:17 PM
Plus, the catching competition in the fall and spring will be Darwinian - the strongest will survive

I don't think Gilbert, Skelton, or Hancock are ready to crown Hayden Jones, these boys are gonna get ready to fight for it

MarketingBully
07-07-2018, 02:28 PM

Why would he go to JUCO if he needed surgery? MSU makes the most sense if that’s the case.

Todd4State
07-07-2018, 05:12 PM
My hypothetical team- I kind of want to see what happens with Stewart and LA but I'll give it a shot. Best case scenario- and I expect LA to be gone and I expect Stewart at 50/50 at this point.

Fri- Small
Sat- Stewart
Sun- Ginn

Midweek- Keegan

Bullpen- Spring, Gordon, Plumlee, Ashcraft, Breaux, Barlow, and Self

Closer- Ashcraft

C- Hayden Jones

1B- Hatcher/Westburg

2B- Halter

3B- Ginn

SS- LA (FREE LA!)

LF- Rowdey

CF- Mangum

RF- MacNamee

DH- Allen

The good thing is the most unrealistic part of the lineup is probably LA coming back.

weblow
07-07-2018, 05:47 PM
I thought that Gordon made it pretty well known that he was gone? Has that changed?

Todd4State
07-07-2018, 06:09 PM
I thought that Gordon made it pretty well known that he was gone? Has that changed?

Yes. He is trying to get into grad school and return.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-07-2018, 06:17 PM
Who is this Pitcher named Spring? I feel like an idiot but I can't remember anything about him. Is that the JuCo from Alabama? What can he give us?

HoopsDawg
07-07-2018, 10:56 PM
My hypothetical team- I kind of want to see what happens with Stewart and LA but I'll give it a shot. Best case scenario- and I expect LA to be gone and I expect Stewart at 50/50 at this point.

Fri- Small
Sat- Stewart
Sun- Ginn

Midweek- Keegan

Bullpen- Spring, Gordon, Plumlee, Ashcraft, Breaux, Barlow, and Self

Closer- Ashcraft

C- Hayden Jones

1B- Hatcher/Westburg

2B- Halter

3B- Ginn

SS- LA (FREE LA!)

LF- Rowdey

CF- Mangum

RF- MacNamee

DH- Allen

The good thing is the most unrealistic part of the lineup is probably LA coming back.

I would definitely have Foscue in there for LA. I think Ginn is going to be our DH. I don't see Halter as a 2B at all. And I would never list Hatcher ahead of Westburg. Westburg needs to be an everyday player for us.

I would go:

1. Mangum, CF
2. Rowdey, 2B/LF
3. Allen, LF/2B
4. Macnamee, RF
5. Halter, 1B
6. Westburg, 3B
7. Ginn, DH
8. Jones, C
9. Foscue, SS

Man, that's a stout lineup.

Todd4State
07-08-2018, 12:33 AM
I would definitely have Foscue in there for LA. I think Ginn is going to be our DH. I don't see Halter as a 2B at all. And I would never list Hatcher ahead of Westburg. Westburg needs to be an everyday player for us.

I would go:

1. Mangum, CF
2. Rowdey, 2B/LF
3. Allen, LF/2B
4. Macnamee, RF
5. Halter, 1B
6. Westburg, 3B
7. Ginn, DH
8. Jones, C
9. Foscue, SS

Man, that's a stout lineup.

We're going to have to sit some good players next year probably no matter what. I'm not sure if Allen can play second and I'm not sure if Foscue can play SS. There's going to be some good competition this fall and spring.

Todd4State
07-08-2018, 12:35 AM
Who is this Pitcher named Spring? I feel like an idiot but I can't remember anything about him. Is that the JuCo from Alabama? What can he give us?

Tyler Spring. He's actually from Van Cleve, MS I believe and he started out at Alabama and had to have Tommy John. He transferred to Jones JC and was one of their top two starting pitchers. He grew up a MSU fan and was throwing in the low 90's in JUCO. I could see him starting on Sunday or midweek.

biggun
07-08-2018, 12:06 PM
We're going to have to sit some good players next year probably no matter what. I'm not sure if Allen can play second and I'm not sure if Foscue can play SS. There's going to be some good competition this fall and spring.

Allen played OF in high school so I could see him and Rowdy having quite the competition for LF or perhaps a platoon type deal/DH

The Federalist Engineer
07-08-2018, 03:57 PM
Allen played OF in high school so I could see him and Rowdy having quite the competition for LF or perhaps a platoon type deal/DH

Allen and Rowdey are nailed in starters unless they regress tremendously over the summer. Rowdey hit 321 in the SEC and was batting +400 down the stretch before he and everybody else got cool in Omaha. Allen hit + 300 in the SEC.

In my book, only Jake Mangum is more locked in than these guys. These guys are solid vets now, with more regional. Super regional, and Omaha experience than Ole Miss Juniors and Seniors.

I seen it dawg
07-08-2018, 04:22 PM
Mangum
Macnamee
Rowdey
Foscue
Westburg
Allen
Are all everyday, every inning guys. We need to find a catcher. Also 2 more hitters out of all the talent coming in.

Bulldog1
07-08-2018, 04:28 PM
I wonder who's going to coach 1st base?

MaroonFlounder
07-08-2018, 07:52 PM
Is Spencer Price done? Nobody is mentioning him in the bullpen depth. Rehab not going well?

Bulldog1
07-08-2018, 08:32 PM
Is Spencer Price done? Nobody is mentioning him in the bullpen depth. Rehab not going well?

I put him on my list.

HoopsDawg
07-08-2018, 09:08 PM

Coming off Tommy John, I just don't expect much until you are 18 months removed from surgery.