PDA

View Full Version : Oh, Timmy B....

TUSK
07-06-2018, 04:27 PM
He needs to get a room with Kannell and Bayliss...

https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/07/tim_brando_on_alabamas_privile.html#incart_river_i ndex

Turfdawg67
07-06-2018, 04:33 PM
He makes valid points. The deck is definitely stacked against a lot of teams. I'm fine with the playoffs, but let's do away with pre-season (aka pre-determined) polls and come out with the first rankings in week 4 or 5.

TUSK
07-06-2018, 04:40 PM
He makes valid points. The deck is definitely stacked against a lot of teams. I'm fine with the playoffs, but let's do away with pre-season (aka pre-determined) polls and come out with the first rankings in week 4 or 5.

I completely agree the teams don't need to be ranked til there have been some games played... But, isn't that what the CFPC does now? Or, are you suggesting they may be influenced by the other polls?

Regardless, I'd LOVE to see the CFP go to 8 teams and the grind of the season lengthened (provided the bids were for the best 8 teams and not "automatic")...

Bully13
07-06-2018, 05:15 PM
I completely agree the teams don't need to be ranked til there have been some games played... But, isn't that what the CFPC does now? Or, are you suggesting they may be influenced by the other polls?

Regardless, I'd LOVE to see the CFP go to 8 teams and the grind of the season lengthened (provided the bids were for the best 8 teams and not "automatic")...

I'm ok with 8, I think. Anymore than 8 would be a disaster IMO. And yes, the top teams and no autos. Conference affiliation should not give one team an advantage over another. College football's regular season is unique from all other sports in its greatness. No sport has so many meaningful games where Natty ramifications exist. You expand the playoffs beyond 8 games, then you'll have the losers of games like AL / AU --(or maybe MSU this yr?) MI / OH St--USCw / OR walking off the field saying "that's okay, we'll see you assholes on a neutral field in a week". You simply can't take Natty ramifications from games like these. We have a pretty good playoff system already. It's called the greatest regular season in all of sports. don't 17 it up. If we were to go to 8, I'd prefer 1-4 hosting 5-8 so the regular season remained fierce , fighting for a home field playoff spot. Neutral spots after that would be good bowl games.

MarcoRubio
07-06-2018, 05:26 PM
I'm ok with 8, I think. Anymore than 8 would be a disaster IMO. And yes, the top teams and no autos. Conference affiliation should not give one team an advantage over another. College football's regular season is unique from all other sports in its greatness. No sport has so many meaningful games where Natty ramifications exist. You expand the playoffs beyond 8 games, then you'll have the losers of games like AL / AU --(or maybe MSU this yr?) MI / OH St--USCw / OR walking off the field saying "that's okay, we'll see you assholes on a neutral field in a week". You simply can't take Natty ramifications from games like these. We have a pretty good playoff system already. It's called the greatest regular season in all of sports. don't 17 it up. If we were to go to 8, I'd prefer 1-4 hosting 5-8 so the regular season remained fierce , fighting for a home field playoff spot. Neutral spots after that would be good bowl games.

I think it should be capped at 6, for the reasons you mentioned. Regular season too important to mess with.
With 6, 1&2 get a first round bye. Keeps regular seasons importance.

Bully13
07-06-2018, 05:31 PM
https://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/07/tim_brando_on_alabamas_privile.html#incart_river_i ndex

I found a few gems in the article from Tim:

"So that leaves only one other spot. It could be another team from the SEC, particularly as weak as these conference schedules or non-conference schedules are in the Southeastern Conference."

Brando cited weak 2018 non-conference schedules for SEC powers Alabama and Georgia. He also noted that with perennial opponent Tennessee currently struggling as a program, Alabama's SEC crossover games were not exactly worthy tests either.

Hey Timmy, if the same teams keep getting there, it means they are good. Fan interest should not and does not determine who dances.

https://s33.postimg.cc/td0w3f3i7/Timmy.jpg

Goldendawg
07-06-2018, 05:47 PM
Sorry Tusk, bama is the New England Patriots of college football. Nobody loves y'all but y'all! Maybe this is the year that we are team 4. Heck, we may be 1-3. Play Ball! Hail State! BTW: I do pull for y'all when you play UNM.

TUSK
07-06-2018, 05:54 PM
Sorry Tusk, bama is the New England Patriots of college football. Nobody loves y'all but y'all! Maybe this is the year that we are team 4. Heck, we may be 1-3. Play Ball! Hail State! BTW: I do pull for y'all when you play UNM.

11-1 with a close loss to an undefeated SECC would likely get you cats in...

I root for both AU & UT when they play UNM... I think the other resident Bammer feels similarly...

[insert pic of Token Black]

Token Bammer
07-07-2018, 01:46 PM
11-1 with a close loss to an undefeated SECC would likely get you cats in...

I root for both AU & UT when they play UNM... I think the other resident Bammer feels similarly...

[insert pic of Token Black]

You would be correct sir. UNM gets no love from me. If only there were a way for both AU and OM to both lose. That would be something.

RocketDawg
07-07-2018, 03:45 PM

Yeah, but the second "y'all" is half the country and 90% of the state of Alabama. Lots of bandwagon fans.

RocketDawg
07-07-2018, 03:47 PM
You would be correct sir. UNM gets no love from me. If only there were a way for both AU and OM to both lose. That would be something.

Why the University of New Mexico hate? **

Token Bammer
07-07-2018, 07:25 PM
Why the University of New Mexico hate? **

Hate those Lobos!

Seriously though. I got to play with some wolves in New Mexico on an Indian Reservation. It's not uncommon for the locals to raise some of them as pets. Pretty cool.

TUSK
07-07-2018, 07:38 PM
Hate those Lobos!

Seriously though. I got to play with some wolves in New Mexico on an Indian Reservation. It's not uncommon for the locals to raise some of them as pets. Pretty cool.

How was the peyote? (asking for a friend)

Bully13
07-07-2018, 07:57 PM

Emilio Estevez, Keifer Southerland & Lou Diamond Phillips vouch it's still pretty good.

So Does Billy the Kid.

ShotgunDawg
07-07-2018, 07:58 PM
I agree with having 8 teams, but it's almost like Brando does not want the best teams in the playoff.

He'd rather have diversity than the best 4 teams. It's almost a political debate

Bully13
07-07-2018, 08:00 PM
I agree with having 8 teams, but it's almost like Brando does not want the best teams in the playoff.

He'd rather have diversity than the best 4 teams. It's almost a political debate

https://s33.postimg.cc/imndc6kkv/Timmy.jpg

TUSK
07-07-2018, 08:55 PM
inB4theThreadMove2thePoliBoard....

you may get away with diversifying my country into the shitter, but Please, for the love of Kenny Drunkass Stabler, don't diversify tha foosball!

Bully13
07-07-2018, 08:59 PM
inB4theThreadMove2thePoliBoard....

you may get away with diversifying my country into the shitter, but Please, for the love of Kenny Drunkass Stabler, don't diversify tha foosball!

You are too smart for me sir. I'm no dumbass, but I'd like to hear you put your thoughts on this in laymen's terms. Gracias Senior.

TUSK
07-07-2018, 09:17 PM
You are too smart for me sir. I'm no dumbass, but I'd like to hear you put your thoughts on this in laymen's terms. Gracias Senior.

I'm a simplistic neanderthal... I believe excellence should be rewarded...

IIRC, the BCS got it right every year... and the CFP has gotten (at minimum) the 2 best teams among their 4 every year...

Four teams is plenty, but if changes are to be made, I'd love to see:
fewer OOC games
more in-conference games
fewer regular season games
no conference CG
maybe an 8 team playoff with no auto bids.

Token Bammer
07-07-2018, 10:18 PM

Tell your friend I missed out on the peyote. Lol

Token Bammer
07-07-2018, 10:19 PM
Emilio Estevez, Keifer Southerland & Lou Diamond Phillips vouch it's still pretty good.

So Does Billy the Kid.

Hey dog. Dog. Did you see the size of that chicken?

gravedigger
07-08-2018, 07:58 AM

I cannot stand Brando. Goes back to a drunken radio screed he did on Msu being forced to play usm.

Anyway, what he wants is a less predictable final four. He?s saying that 3 of 4 are already determined. He?s also saying the bcs was better due to the lack of predictive nature, but he?s wrong on that. But I do agree that what we have now is too predictable.

I say NO poll of coaches or sportswriters should be included due to self interest. The panel should be blind to the public.

And I do agree with an 8 team playoff that begins in week 12 and conference championship games are eliminated. Every team plays 11 games. Non champ series bowl teams play 12. Final 8 play 12,13 or14 based on survival.

Yea,yea I know conference champ games are $ makers. Teams won?t play in them if it could cost them a spot in the championship series though.

Bully13
07-08-2018, 09:55 AM
I cannot stand Brando. Goes back to a drunken radio screed he did on Msu being forced to play usm.

Anyway, what he wants is a less predictable final four. He?s saying that 3 of 4 are already determined. He?s also saying the bcs was better due to the lack of predictive nature, but he?s wrong on that. But I do agree that what we have now is too predictable.

I say NO poll of coaches or sportswriters should be included due to self interest. The panel should be blind to the public.

And I do agree with an 8 team playoff that begins in week 12 and conference championship games are eliminated. Every team plays 11 games. Non champ series bowl teams play 12. Final 8 play 12,13 or14 based on survival.

Yea,yea I know conference champ games are $ makers. Teams won?t play in them if it could cost them a spot in the championship series though.

Good point. Not only are conference championships money makers, the fans love them too. (wouldn't be money makers if otherwise). Don't make losers of these games an automatic disqualifier. Even though it would be rare going forward for those who do lose them to advance for Natty post season. Last year was rare I would think. But it is obvious the right call was made to throw Bamer in despite the SEC Champ game. We would have been denied what was arguably the best Natty Champ game evah. And one of the ballsiest and successful 1/2 time adjustments a HC ever made in the game.