PDA

View Full Version : Luke Alexander

stalkingpoon
07-06-2018, 07:35 AM
Anyone wanna fill us in on what?s going on with him? Seeing rumors he might not be back next year. What did he do???

BrunswickDawg
07-06-2018, 07:36 AM
Anyone wanna fill us in on what?s going on with him? Seeing rumors he might not be back next year. What did he do???

Sees the writing on the wall with the talent coming in???

BuckyIsAB****
07-06-2018, 07:39 AM
Sees the writing on the wall with the talent coming in???

would be extremely disappointing if this is true. I dont think hes going anywhere but if he is it better not be bc of this

BrunswickDawg
07-06-2018, 07:48 AM
would be extremely disappointing if this is true. I dont think hes going anywhere but if he is it better not be bc of this

I have nothing against the guy - but, if he feels he will be odd man out with the log jam we are about to have in the middle infield, I would not blame him in the slightest. A guy who over his 3 seasons has hit .222, .221, and .222, has to feel some heat when you have guys like coming in like we do.

Rick Danko
07-06-2018, 07:50 AM

Asking, not arguing. What do you mean here? Are you saying it better not be this reason because our coaches shouldn?t process a player for a more talented one just because they are a senior? Or are you saying it would be weak of Alexander to leave to ensure he gets playing time? Legitimately curious what you are implying here?

msstate7
07-06-2018, 07:51 AM
I have nothing against the guy - but, if he feels he will be odd man out with the log jam we are about to have in the middle infield, I would not blame him in the slightest. A guy who over his 3 seasons has hit .222, .221, and .222, has to feel some heat when you have guys like coming in like we do.

The issue with your theory is the position Luke plays. Who is the SS? We have a bunch of 3b, 2b, 1b, but no true SS.

Thick
07-06-2018, 08:05 AM
The issue with your theory is the position Luke plays. Who is the SS? We have a bunch of 3b, 2b, 1b, but no true SS.

I’m not sure what to believe. I’ve heard/read Westburg is the future SS, but then see he’s a 1st/3rd guy. You have Tanner Allen at first who has already proved that he’s got to be in the lineup, so that pretty much takes 1st base out of the picture. The new JUCO that is coming in can crush the ball, but I’ve read that his defense is suspect. Also hearing Rowdey is staying in LF. Outfield is solidified, the infield is going to be an all out war for playing time. Just my opinion.

msstate7
07-06-2018, 08:07 AM
I’m not sure what to believe. I’ve heard/read Westburg is the future SS, but then see he’s a 1st/3rd guy. You have Tanner Allen at first who has already proved that he’s got to be in the lineup, so that pretty much takes 1st base out of the picture. The new JUCO that is coming in can crush the ball, but I’ve read that his defense is suspect. Also hearing Rowdey is staying in LF. Outfield is solidified, the infield is going to be an all out war for playing time. Just my opinion.

I'm not stating anything as fact... just what I've gathered from reading here and listening to Cohen on radio. If westburg can man SS, that's the best scenario for the team imo

msstate7
07-06-2018, 08:14 AM
Steakonastick and homedawg, who you got at SS next year?

Thick
07-06-2018, 08:33 AM
I understand msstate7. There’s so much uncertainty at 3rd, SS, and 2nd, but lots of talent to boot is not a bad thing though.

BrunswickDawg
07-06-2018, 08:34 AM

Westberg has played it, Ginn has played it, Jordan has played it, Halter has played it. They may project at other positions - and LA might be better defensively - but at some point if you have 4 guys capable of playing the position and providing significantly more production in the line up, the defensive guy will lose out. Fact is that it is a lot easier to improve your defensive skills than your hitting skills - and none of those guys are starting from scratch at SS.

And you are right Thick - this is not a bad problem to have.

Cooterpoot
07-06-2018, 08:36 AM
It’s got nothing to do with playing time. I’m going to wait til more is out there before I get into this rumor too much.

SouthMSDog
07-06-2018, 08:41 AM
It?s got nothing to do with playing time. I?m going to wait til more is out there before I get into this rumor too much.

C34's nickname offended him. ***

The Federalist Engineer
07-06-2018, 08:43 AM
FWIW, John Cohen said that Westburg is a first rounder at SS. It was not a private conversation, it was on the radio in Game-2 with UNC

I hope LA is back, just battle. Gridley, Hump, and Rooker all made a huge leaps in production one-year to the next.

As a pro player, if that's his dream, your team is always looking for a new and less expensive alternative to match or exceed your performance level. It's the nature of competitive struggle.

Steakonastick
07-06-2018, 08:43 AM
My first guess would be Foscue or Halter. Westburg is seen more as a corner infielder. Ginn is going to play 1st or DH to save his arm.

If I had to guess a starting 9 today minus Alexander

Cf mangum
Lf Rowdy
2b Allen
Rf macnamee
Dh Halter
1b Ginn
3b Westburg
Ss foscue
C Jones

You could easily see Halter at second and let Allen dh or play first. Or just let Ginn dh.

msstate7
07-06-2018, 08:44 AM
FWIW, John Cohen says that Westburg is a first rounder at SS. It was not a private conversation with me, it was on the radio in Game-3 with OrSU

He said 1b/3b

I seen it dawg
07-06-2018, 08:45 AM
He's not good enough defensively to warrant hitting .220 with what we will have on our roster. Plain and simple.

Bulldog1
07-06-2018, 09:32 AM
My first guess would be Foscue or Halter. Westburg is seen more as a corner infielder. Ginn is going to play 1st or DH to save his arm.

If I had to guess a starting 9 today minus Alexander

Cf mangum
Lf Rowdy
2b Allen
Rf macnamee
Dh Halter
1b Ginn
3b Westburg
Ss foscue
C Jones

You could easily see Halter at second and let Allen dh or play first. Or just let Ginn dh.

Sounds good to me.

BuckyIsAB****
07-06-2018, 09:37 AM
Asking, not arguing. What do you mean here? Are you saying it better not be this reason because our coaches shouldn?t process a player for a more talented one just because they are a senior? Or are you saying it would be weak of Alexander to leave to ensure he gets playing time? Legitimately curious what you are implying here?

It would be extremely weak for a 3 year SEC starter to leave bc he doesnt want to compete

Steakonastick
07-06-2018, 09:47 AM
Bolivian marching dust

stalkingpoon
07-06-2018, 09:48 AM
It would be extremely weak for a 3 year SEC starter to leave bc he doesnt want to compete

Sounded like it was more conduct wise than competing problems.

Steakonastick
07-06-2018, 10:01 AM
Look for him to try and sign a free agent deal with mlb team soon.

msstate7
07-06-2018, 10:02 AM
Sounded like it was more conduct wise than competing problems.

Wow... any details?

stalkingpoon
07-06-2018, 10:06 AM
Wow... any details?

I have no knowledge what so ever. Just what other posters on 247 seemed to be alluding too. Just trying to see if anyone on here had heard anything similar. I?m really expecting him to step up and be a big time contributor next year so I think it would be a big blow.

Bulldog1
07-06-2018, 10:15 AM
He gone.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
07-06-2018, 10:22 AM

Is this the good news Preachy promised?**

The Federalist Engineer
07-06-2018, 11:37 AM
Welp, I guess owning Ole Miss will be his legacy. Not a bad legacy.

Dawg2003
07-06-2018, 11:47 AM
Welp, I guess owning Ole Miss will be his legacy. Not a bad legacy.

Better to go out on top. He might think he has done all he can do for State. If he legitimately thinks he runs the risk of getting benched next year, I can see his viewpoint in wanting to give the pros a shot.

Bulldog1
07-06-2018, 11:51 AM
There's a rumor going around and it's not good.

BankerDog
07-06-2018, 12:00 PM
If what I heard was true, L.A. wasn't afraid of competition...he was just getting ready for it.

weblow
07-06-2018, 12:06 PM
I have a very hard time believing what I am hearing to be true. Something does not add up. I am not going to spread any more of the rumor but something doesn’t make sense. Gonna be really interesting if true.

Bulldog1
07-06-2018, 12:09 PM
If what I heard was true, L.A. wasn't afraid of competition...he was just getting ready for it.

Yep.

msstate7
07-06-2018, 12:10 PM

Damn shame, now there will always be an asterisk beside his numbers lol

It really is a shame a kid felt the need to do it though

BeardoMSU
07-06-2018, 12:10 PM
Yep.

Will this have any impact beyond him?

Todd4State
07-06-2018, 12:31 PM
Damn shame, now there will always be an asterisk beside his numbers lol

It really is a shame a kid felt the need to do it though

I don't hold anything against Mark McGwire. So I won't hold anything against LA.

SouthMSDog
07-06-2018, 12:58 PM
I don't hold anything against Mark McGwire. So I won't hold anything against LA.

B12 strikes again?

http://espn.go.com/media/pg2/2006/0316/photo/a_palmeiro_275.jpg

mstatefan91
07-06-2018, 01:02 PM
It's been alluded to enough to make an educated guess so just spit it out at this point..

DawgFromOxford
07-06-2018, 01:19 PM
Is this another one of those threads where people comment so they can act is if they know what is going on? Let me try: "Wow. Can't believe this is actually happening. Oh well, best of luck." Did I do this correctly?

confucius say
07-06-2018, 01:20 PM

Or pretty much our entire roster from 97-04.

confucius say
07-06-2018, 01:24 PM
If the PED rumor is true, he was not getting his money's worth.
And he never really got any bigger the last three years, so rumor may be BS.

Bully13
07-06-2018, 01:24 PM
This thread will make a great sports op-ed piece for tomorrow morning's Clarion Ledger.

I seen it dawg
07-06-2018, 01:29 PM
Lol come on guys really

Todd4State
07-06-2018, 01:45 PM
Or pretty much our entire roster from 97-04.

All I'm saying is I enjoyed those CWS runs too.

Dawg61
07-06-2018, 02:49 PM
Can eating too many bananas fail a PED test?

confucius say
07-06-2018, 02:51 PM
All I'm saying is I enjoyed those CWS runs too.

Same

Ari Gold
07-06-2018, 03:07 PM
How bout LA realized he isn’t a SEC SS and is weighing his options.
Nothing wrong with that.

BuckyIsAB****
07-06-2018, 03:21 PM
I bet 90 percent of the posts on here that start with ''if what I heard'' or '' what im hearing'' are total bullshit

Message board persona is a top priority

Gutter Cobreh
07-06-2018, 03:51 PM
I bet 90 percent of the posts on here that start with ''if what I heard'' or '' what im hearing'' are total bullshit

Message board persona is a top priority

I'd say 99%. The ones that know what they're talking about frame their words in a different manner.

And the ones worried about their personas are typically ones that start threads here with..."Soandso - check your pm" or "Soandso - your inbox is full and I need to send you a message".

Bulldog1
07-07-2018, 11:09 AM
Some of the comments I've seen last night and this morning on Alexander:
"But he leads the team in RBIs!"
"He's a clutch hitter."
"You won't find a better defensive shortstop than Alexander."
"At least put him at 2nd base! We have to have him in the lineup!"

———
.221 batting avg
.309 OBP
.326 SLG

Bully13
07-07-2018, 11:12 AM
The Pack is saying "He Gone". The Reason appears to be speculative at best though.

BuckyIsAB****
07-07-2018, 12:08 PM
I'd say 99%. The ones that know what they're talking about frame their words in a different manner.

And the ones worried about their personas are typically ones that start threads here with..."Soandso - check your pm" or "Soandso - your inbox is full and I need to send you a message".

To be fair I made one of those check your PM threads the other day to Commerce hahaha

Yim Yames
07-07-2018, 12:29 PM
Lol come on guys really

Gross...

biggun
07-07-2018, 04:37 PM
Defensively - Rowdy struggled in LF and T Allen is definitely not your prototypical 1st baseman at 5’10, have seen him listed at 5’8 and 5’11 so I gave him the benefit of the doubt but still not ideal size for a 1st baseman. Pretty sure he played OF in high school.