PDA

View Full Version : Jayhawks to name Jeff Long AD

Count Istvan Teleky
07-05-2018, 01:08 PM
Remind me why he left Arkansas - was it over the Petrino scandal?

civildawg
07-05-2018, 01:17 PM
He got fired because of the Bielema contract I'm pretty sure

Really Clark?
07-05-2018, 01:18 PM
Remind me why he left Arkansas - was it over the Petrino scandal?

No or not really. He was just st fired last year and support eroded as Bert stayed mediocre

ShotgunDawg
07-05-2018, 01:46 PM
I'd love to see Long hire Beliema at Kansas.

Power football in the Big 12 could have some success

Count Istvan Teleky
07-05-2018, 02:10 PM

If Bielema could win the same number of games at Kansas as he did at Arkansas, that would be a huge upgrade.

WPS
07-05-2018, 03:45 PM
It was a culmination of things. He'd worn out his welcome after 10 years.

It all went downhill when he starting saying "we're not a win at all costs program" in the middle of last year when we were struggling and he was talking about academics

Goldendawg
07-05-2018, 04:14 PM

It all went downhill when he starting saying "we're not a win at all costs program" in the middle of last year when we were struggling and he was talking about academics

Yeah, but the NCAA commercials say that they are "student athletes". We all know the billions of $ can still be made televising finals testing instead of sports! **

ShotgunDawg
07-05-2018, 04:31 PM

Bert will never kill it on the recruiting trail, but I'm not sure he'd have to to be successful in the Big 12

TCU and Tech don't exactly recruit like gangbusters and they've had nice success.

Good coaching can win in the Big 12, whereas, in the SEC, you've got to recruit at a high level plus have good coaching.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-05-2018, 06:29 PM
Bert will never kill it on the recruiting trail, but I'm not sure he'd have to to be successful in the Big 12

TCU and Tech don't exactly recruit like gangbusters and they've had nice success.

Good coaching can win in the Big 12, whereas, in the SEC, you've got to recruit at a high level plus have good coaching.

The main reason he could be successful imo is that he would recruit different kinds of players; he'd sell tough defense and physical trench play as everyone else sells wide open offenses and prevent Ds. He'd have quite a few ignored 3 stars that fit/want to play in his system.

However, I don't think he's a good coach. Maybe that's just because he lost his identity on O in his later Arky years, and played against well above average coaches in the SEC. He just didn't see mto find any underrated talent at Arky, or develop what he did get. Though anyone with a pulse would help Kansas

msbulldog
07-05-2018, 06:40 PM
Jeff Long was fired because he would not gee/haw with the money folks in Arkansas. The Walton's', Tyson's and Reynolds's. Jeff Long is highly respected in the College athletic world as evidenced by his chairmanship of the CPC.

RocketDawg
07-05-2018, 09:10 PM

He should get a medal for that instead of getting fired.

Pit Bull
07-06-2018, 02:44 AM
Jeff Long was fired because he would not gee/haw with the money folks in Arkansas. The Walton's', Tyson's and Reynolds's. Jeff Long is highly respected in the College athletic world as evidenced by his chairmanship of the CPC.

I liked Jeff and thought a lot of his abilities. Hope it works out for him at Kansas. Bielemma wasn't bad either....he just couldn't quite get the Hogs over the hump so to speak. Not everybody in the SEC West can win!! I hope it stays Ole Miss, the Hogs and TAMU or LSU on the receiving end of the losses, but I'm betting TAMU shows a big improvement in the next year or two. Jimbo is too good not to turn them around with the resources they have.

Dawg61
07-06-2018, 07:55 AM

Power football in the Big 12 could have some success

Bert sucks. He owes 90% of his fortune to Barry Alvarez and Wisconsin.

WPS
07-06-2018, 11:38 AM

I don't know if he has a clue on how to defend a spread offense, but it would be fun to watch his style of offense in the Big 12.

He should get a medal for that instead of getting fired.

Academics are great but as an AD at the end of the day you still have to win games. At least in the SEC.