PDA

View Full Version : Bracky "Dr No" Brett article

PassInterference
10-11-2013, 10:52 PM
http://m.reflector-online.com/sports/article_d3e9c3e6-31fe-11e3-97f7-0019bb30f31a.html?mode=jqm

I don't know if it's him or the leadership above, but we need an overhaul here. We need to be as defensive (or more) as we are offensive. Bracky is the Mike Leach of compliance directors.

Defense wins championships.

PS: 3-1 odds that article is a response to us.

Behrdawg
10-11-2013, 11:01 PM
He's an idiot and he has no business being in this position. Stricklin is a ***** for keeping him around and our big money donors need to act on their current frustrations (there are many who are fed up with that moron) and have him pushed out. A compliance director in today's college football environment needs to know how to leverage the gray areas and keep us out of trouble. A compliance director should not have a stick and shake it at every minute thing that happens- that is Bracky Brett.

Hey Bracky- if you're reading this, **** you.

bully99
10-11-2013, 11:07 PM
Didn't see anything wrong with the interview. Let's cheat our way to success. That's today's America.

Behrdawg
10-11-2013, 11:20 PM
Didn't see anything wrong with the interview. Let's cheat our way to success. That's today's America.

Get off that old school mentality. Everyone cheats- EVERYONE. And is it really cheating when these players are the ones who are bringing millions of dollars to the table for the schools and conferences, yet they cant receive any benefits? That's a whole other debate, I digress. Bottom line, a compliance director should not throw players and good people under the bus to cover their own ass.

Redmond had to sit out for 18 games for $200 and a jacket. Manziel sat out a half for thousands. Cam Newton never sat out for $185k. Why? Because their compliance directors knew how to negotiate and prevent maximum penalties from being implemented on their programs. Think about that for a while.

bully99
10-11-2013, 11:30 PM
This interview and the NCAA coruption are two different stories. I agree the NCAA is corrupt and unfair.They've been that way for decades. I remember 1975 when State got 3 years probation for Larry Gillard allegedly getting free clothes. That was minor compared to the corruption going on back then at the elite programs.

Behrdawg
10-11-2013, 11:35 PM
I wasn't saying this was a bad interview or a bad article. He's just real shitty at his job and I like to make it known as often as possible. Unfortunately, we have fans dumb enough to think that he does a good job.

War Machine Dawg
10-11-2013, 11:38 PM
I wasn't saying this was a bad interview or a bad article. He's just real shitty at his job and I like to make it known as often as possible. Unfortunately, we have fans dumb enough to think that he does a good job.

Goat is president of that club.

War Machine Dawg
10-11-2013, 11:42 PM
He's an idiot and he has no business being in this position. Stricklin is a ***** for keeping him around and our big money donors need to act on their current frustrations (there are many who are fed up with that moron) and have him pushed out. A compliance director in today's college football environment needs to know how to leverage the gray areas and keep us out of trouble. A compliance director should not have a stick and shake it at every minute thing that happens- that is Bracky Brett.

Hey Bracky- if you're reading this, **** you.

Exactly. I repeat: EVERY other SEC school either has a lawyer or former NCAA Compliance Office official running the compliance department. We have a ****ing high school coach. Is it REALLY asking too much that we acknowledge the change in the compliance landscape and follow the leaders?

level set
10-12-2013, 09:26 AM
Tweet from Rebel Compliance yesterday: Congrats to our law extern Katherine White for her role in organizing this very interesting symposium. pic.twitter.com/xtQoqnreLc

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BWUPw7UCQAA7VhJ.jpg

You will NEVER see ANYTHING like this come out of Starkville and Bracky.

DownwardDawg
10-12-2013, 09:42 AM
We needed Byrne to stay a few more years. That killed us.

Behrdawg
10-12-2013, 10:02 AM
Tweet from Rebel Compliance yesterday: Congrats to our law extern Katherine White for her role in organizing this very interesting symposium. pic.twitter.com/xtQoqnreLc

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BWUPw7UCQAA7VhJ.jpg

You will NEVER see ANYTHING like this come out of Starkville and Bracky.

Meanwhile...Bracky writes to the Reflector

Coach34
10-12-2013, 10:09 AM
I hereby deem Bracky from this day forward as "Dr. No"

gravedigger
10-12-2013, 10:50 AM
What fans misunderstand about the compliance dept is that it doesn't exist to keep the athletes out of trouble with the NCAA. It exists to protect the university from the charge of "lack of institutional control". By educating athletes coaches and boosters and monitoring the paperwork trail in qualification, it shows that the institution was making every effort to stay within the rules even if individuals choos to break them.

Could Redmond have gotten better counsel and defense? Probably. But that should have been arranged by the president and the athletic director.

Is brackey at fault for the severity of the penalties? To the extent the coach and the booster involved didn't know what was permissible. Brackey serves the purpose he's hired for. Your problem with him is really with the president and the ad failing to utilize the position to its obvious potential.

Behrdawg
10-12-2013, 10:58 AM
What fans misunderstand about the compliance dept is that it doesn't exist to keep the athletes out of trouble with the NCAA. It exists to protect the university from the charge of "lack of institutional control". By educating athletes coaches and boosters and monitoring the paperwork trail in qualification, it shows that the institution was making every effort to stay within the rules even if individuals choos to break them.

Could Redmond have gotten better counsel and defense? Probably. But that should have been arranged by the president and the athletic director.

Is brackey at fault for the severity of the penalties? To the extent the coach and the booster involved didn't know what was permissible. Brackey serves the purpose he's hired for. Your problem with him is really with the president and the ad failing to utilize the position to its obvious potential.

I quote myself from above:

Unfortunately, we have fans dumb enough to think that he does a good job.

You are making it out like the compliance director works directly for the NCAA. The compliance director works for the University. He is hired by the AD and President to help you remain competitive and leverage any opportunities to the extent of not being put on probation. I am not going to go into massive detail on the shit storm's Bracky has stirred up by poor job performance- thats for those of us who know to keep it behind closed doors. But I will take every opportunity to tell you, and every other MSU fan, just how bad he sucks and that he should be disposed of, immediately.

Political Hack
10-12-2013, 11:02 AM
you can't blame Brackey for not firing himself.

Discussing job performance is another issue however.

gravedigger
10-12-2013, 11:12 AM
I quote myself from above:

You are making it out like the compliance director works directly for the NCAA. The compliance director works for the University. He is hired by the AD and President to help you remain competitive and leverage any opportunities to the extent of not being put on probation. I am not going to go into massive detail on the shit storm's Bracky has stirred up by poor job performance- thats for those of us who know to keep it behind closed doors. But I will take every opportunity to tell you, and every other MSU fan, just how bad he sucks and that he should be disposed of, immediately.

Re read my post then. He is there to serve the university by protecting it from the charge of LOIC. He is not there to leverage anything. It's what you and others don't get. Sure other universities use the position primarily for a way to get around violations. But my point is that our president is not using him that way. Wake up and stop wrenching your guts out about brackey.

It's not the hammer. It's the carpenter for the construction

Behrdawg
10-12-2013, 11:20 AM
Re read my post then. He is there to serve the university by protecting it from the charge of LOIC. He is not there to leverage anything. It's what you and others don't get. Sure other universities use the position primarily for a way to get around violations. But my point is that our president is not using him that way. Wake up and stop wrenching your guts out about brackey.

It's not the hammer. It's the carpenter for the construction

Ill agree to disagree. Simply because I'm not airing dirty laundry on a message board- but if you guys knew what some of us know about Bracky- ya'll would feel the same.

gravedigger
10-12-2013, 11:43 AM
And I understand your point of view and am frustrated we don't play the game better as a whole.

We are getting trampled. Hopefully when this probation expires we will have gotten back in the game.

I don't know brackey well or the back stories. I do know how the president operates. There are many levels to this.

Coach34
10-12-2013, 11:43 AM
I agree its not just Bracky- the President gets some blame also. But if you ranked Compliance like you do recruiting- we'd be 14th in the SEC

1bigdawg
10-12-2013, 12:29 PM
This interview and the NCAA coruption are two different stories. I agree the NCAA is corrupt and unfair.They've been that way for decades. I remember 1975 when State got 3 years probation for Larry Gillard allegedly getting free clothes. That was minor compared to the corruption going on back then at the elite programs.

The Larry Gillard situation was nothing compared to what was going on AT STATEduring that period either. We did a bunch of stuff the NCAA knew about but could not prove. When they got one thing they could prove, they dropped the hammer. Maybe other programs were as "aggressive" as we were, but from first hand, we were at least right there with them.

bully99
10-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Well yeah that was my point. The top programs were getting away with any and everything. Buy they put MSU in their place with help from Bob Tyler and his absurd lawsuit.

Coach34
10-12-2013, 12:59 PM
Well yeah that was my point. The top programs were getting away with any and everything. Buy they put MSU in their place with help from Bob Tyler and his absurd lawsuit.

I really dont think it's an coincidence that every time State builds its program up and starts winning- we end up on probation

gravedigger
10-12-2013, 01:18 PM
His lawsuit wasn't absurd. The fact that he was the one who represented us in it, at the time he did, was what was absurd.

The ncaa at that time didn't have anyone with the balls to question them. He was a rep of the university. Had the university hired an outside firm to do the suit, it might have come out differently.

Today, the norm, and the most successful route is to hire a firm to legally defend your university. This is NOT, I REPEAT NOT, a part of your compliance department. That department's job is to show that the school is doing all it can, in appearances, to follow the rules.

The defense team's job is to regulate correspondence, advise athletes in communication, and to legally advise the university when attacked or to downplay brushes with the law when athletes get into them.

Even MSU has one of these, but we don't USE it correctly.

But Bob Tyler is a red herring. Different day, different age.

bully99
10-12-2013, 01:52 PM
The lawsuit was ridiculous. Tyler was Coach And AD. What did it accomplish. 3 year probation and still forfeited all wins Gillard played in. And Tyler got fired in the end anyway. You can rewrite history all you want, but you can't change it.