Todd4State
07-04-2018, 02:27 PM
Screwed again by the draft.

KOdawg1
07-04-2018, 02:34 PM
33rd freaking round. Jesus

maroonmania
07-04-2018, 02:37 PM
Hard to understand how you lose HS guys that go in the 30+ round of the draft but it seems like every other year or so we do. Guys that throw away their college experience for under 150K IMO just really don't want to go to college to begin with. I remember a few years ago we lost the TN infielder that signed after being drafted in the 40th round. Of course baseball players often aren't getting a big chunk of a scholarship to play so paying for college could be an issue for some.

Todd4State
07-04-2018, 02:45 PM
Hard to understand how you lose HS guys that go in the 30+ round of the draft but it seems like every other year or so we do. Guys that throw away their college experience for under 150K IMO just really don't want to go to college to begin with. I remember a few years ago we lost the TN infielder that signed after being drafted in the 40th round. Of course baseball players often aren't getting a big chunk of a scholarship to play so paying for college could be an issue for some.

The thing about Burdick is he got diddly squat for a bonus. He is hitting below the Mendoza line for his minor league career.

And in the meantime LSU gets just about all of their signees AND their juniors to come back.

MetEdDawg
07-04-2018, 02:49 PM
I would almost bet Halter's decision played a factor here.

If Bush wants to play IF next year he has to beat out Alexander, Halter, Rowdey, Foscue, and Westburg. That isn't happening.

Then in 2020 the only piece that leaves is probably Alexander. So he's got an uphill battle to get PT.

Todd4State
07-04-2018, 02:52 PM
I would almost been Halter's decision played a factor here.

If Bush wants to play IF next year he has to beat out Alexander, Halter, Rowdey, Foscue, and Westburg. That isn't happening.

Then in 2020 the only piece that leaves is probably Alexander. So he's got an uphill battle to get PT.

At the same time with Anderson leaving it opens up a spot in the outfield and DH. Playing time battles don't stop LSU or Vanderbilt recruits.

maroonmania
07-04-2018, 02:54 PM
I would almost been Halter's decision played a factor here.

Would feel worse about it if he was a true SS because that's what we need but apparently he isn't so I think you are right. He would have had a hard time getting much playing time for next year or two.

msstate7
07-04-2018, 02:54 PM
At the same time with Anderson leaving it opens up a spot in the outfield and DH. Playing time battles don't stop LSU or Vanderbilt recruits.

Like it or not, playing at vandy and lsu is much more prestigious these days. Vandy is an mlb factory and lsu is where kids dream of playing

preachermatt83
07-04-2018, 03:05 PM
We only have so many roster spots much less scholly money. Some have been encouraged to sign.

Todd4State
07-04-2018, 03:06 PM
Like it or not, playing at vandy and lsu is much more prestigious these days. Vandy is an mlb factory and lsu is where kids dream of playing

Yeah. Poor MSU. When was the last time we were in Omaha again? And who did we beat to get there?**

It's not about that. It's about finding the right players that want to go to college. That's what LSU and Vanderbilt do better than us.

Todd4State
07-04-2018, 03:08 PM
We only have so many roster spots much less scholly money. Some have been encouraged to sign.

If we're encouraging UA All-Americans to sign then Cohen really screwed up.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. You tell someone else to walk on before you tell your guys that are
drafted to sign.

msstate7
07-04-2018, 03:21 PM
Yeah. Poor MSU. When was the last time we were in Omaha again? And who did we beat to get there?**

It's not about that. It's about finding the right players that want to go to college. That's what LSU and Vanderbilt do better than us.

Poor MSU at me? Ha... read your OP again

mparkerfd20
07-04-2018, 03:37 PM
If you go higher than the 20th round out of high school and elect to skip college you are a p*ssy plain and simple that couldn't cut it in college anyway.

Todd4State
07-04-2018, 03:39 PM
Poor MSU at me? Ha... read your OP again

That's because I'm too polite to call the guy an idiot if he signs with them.

ShotgunDawg
07-04-2018, 03:42 PM
If you go higher than the 20th round out of high school and elect to skip college you are a p*ssy plain and simple that couldn't cut it in college anyway.

But what if those players are on big scholarships but don't have the skill to contribute?

It's very individualized. Some guys need to go to school and others need to sign. It doesn't mean they are *****.

Numerous college scholarship guys get kicked back to a JUCO or transfer due to being on too much scholarship money compared to their production while never seeing the 250K they are offered out of high school again.

College programs have to win today and can't afford to develop high scholarship guys without production.

This belief that playing college baseball is the right way to go is a belief that is only considering 1 side of the coin.

jacksondawg
07-04-2018, 03:42 PM
Where are y'all seeing this? I just haven't seen anything official yet.

Bully13
07-04-2018, 03:51 PM

How does LSU do that?

Todd4State
07-04-2018, 03:54 PM
How does LSU do that?

The same way Vanderbilt and Florida do it. Plus with the local players or players on their team there is a lot more pride in playing for LSU and winning a National Championship relatively compared to MSU players.

And I will add maybe that is starting to change with us with guys like Mangum and maybe Ginn.

And I will add again- it's not losing the Carter Stewart's that hurt us. It's losing guys like Stovall and Bush that do. Like LSU got Colt Freeman back a couple of years ago- similar player to Stovall. But Stovall jumps in the 21st round and while I think we can cover his loss- it still hurts. Bush could have helped us out next year. And certainly would have started three years down the road at worst even if he didn't start this year. That hurts us long term and potentially short term.

MetEdDawg
07-04-2018, 04:02 PM

True. But we are in a weird spot. We've got a ton of youth. And I have to imagine this class was sold on early playing time being available. But with the emergence of all these freshmen and guys like Alexander, Mac and Mangum being back as seniors, there is virtually zero early PT available.

So a guy like Bush 3 months ago probably saw a ton of opportunity. Now he's got virtually none available.

Todd4State
07-04-2018, 04:29 PM
True. But we are in a weird spot. We've got a ton of youth. And I have to imagine this class was sold on early playing time being available. But with the emergence of all these freshmen and guys like Alexander, Mac and Mangum being back as seniors, there is virtually zero early PT available.

So a guy like Bush 3 months ago probably saw a ton of opportunity. Now he's got virtually none available.

I just disagree because if that was the case he would have no doubt in my mind been drafted higher because he would have been more open to signing. More than likely what happened was the White Sox came up with enough money to sign him.

MarketingBully
07-04-2018, 04:34 PM
I just disagree because if that was the case he would have no doubt in my mind been drafted higher because he would have been more open to signing. More than likely what happened was the White Sox came up with enough money to sign him.

Hopefully the Braves sign Stewart so they can rid LSU of Hess. And if we lose Bush but gain Ginn, I’ll take that swap every day.

Tbonewannabe
07-04-2018, 04:41 PM

Do we know how much he signed for? I know the White Sox signed Pilk under slot. They might have saved enough to throw some cash at him.

msstate7
07-04-2018, 04:47 PM
That's because I'm too polite to call the guy an idiot if he signs with them.

Lol

yjnkdawg
07-04-2018, 04:52 PM

I have never heard of a college athletic department or a baseball coach doing this. Guess anything is possible, but this seems on the very low percentage side of possible.

preachermatt83
07-04-2018, 05:00 PM

Where exactly was he going to play? Cause it ain?t gonna be in the infield. His only hope would have been LF and that was a slim shot.

preachermatt83
07-04-2018, 05:02 PM
We have 44 ppl on roster right now. 42 without penter and Anderson. So we have a roster problem. There are some tough decisions that have to be made going forward.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-04-2018, 05:04 PM
We have 44 ppl on roster right now. 42 without penter and Anderson. So we have a roster problem. There are some tough decisions that have to be made going forward.

We do but we didn’t encourage Bush to sign a pro contract.

MarketingBully
07-04-2018, 05:13 PM

We have arguably the best player in our history coming back for his senior season and you are splitting hairs over a guy who isn?t going to immediately challenge in two years for playing time? Imo losing Jordan Anderson to transfer was a bigger blow then this one. Who knows? Let?s say he came to State but transfers anyway after next year. Our roster needs some severe cuts because we way over signed in 2018. We will be a huge contender in 2019 and hopefully Lemonis can manage our roster to get it back in-line where we need it.

yjnkdawg
07-04-2018, 05:19 PM

That is a problem, but you have to evaluate "all" of your players to determine how you solve it. There will probably be some more players currently on our team that will be looking to transfer for one or another reason.

Todd4State
07-04-2018, 05:23 PM
Where exactly was he going to play? Cause it ain?t gonna be in the infield. His only hope would have been LF and that was a slim shot.

Left field was my thought or DH.

Todd4State
07-04-2018, 05:24 PM
We have arguably the best player in our history coming back for his senior season and you are splitting hairs over a guy who isn?t going to immediately challenge in two years for playing time? Imo losing Jordan Anderson to transfer was a bigger blow then this one. Who knows? Let?s say he came to State but transfers anyway after next year. Our roster needs some severe cuts because we way over signed in 2018. We will be a huge contender in 2019 and hopefully Lemonis can manage our roster to get it back in-line where we need it.

It may not matter this year but it will two years from now. We always have to be mindful of the future so that we're reloading and not rebuilding.

Todd4State
07-04-2018, 05:25 PM
Hopefully the Braves sign Stewart so they can rid LSU of Hess. And if we lose Bush but gain Ginn, I’ll take that swap every day.

Absolutely.

Bothrops
07-04-2018, 05:31 PM
Well, he most likely just shortened his playing days.

Dawg61
07-04-2018, 05:37 PM
Top 15 programs lose guys to the draft every year. We can't be a top 15 program only when you guys like it. We still are one through the down side part too. Guys leaving to go pro early is the down side.

ShotgunDawg
07-04-2018, 05:39 PM
Well, he most likely just shortened his playing days.

While also putting money in his pocket and getting his college 100% paid for vs the 40% scholarship he had from MSU.

I'm not even sure his family could afford to send him to college under college baseball rules

Homedawg
07-04-2018, 05:48 PM
I’m sure he got around 125. Nothing to do about it. Hard to hold guys from way out of state that have no desire to go to college in the first place.

Dawg2003
07-04-2018, 06:07 PM

Who do you think are the most likely to get cut or transfer out? Bedsides Jordan Anderson who we already know of. When does all of that happen? Do they cut the roster down by the end of the summer?

preachermatt83
07-04-2018, 06:12 PM
Who do you think are the most likely to get cut or transfer out? Bedsides Jordan Anderson who we already know of. When does all of that happen? Do they cut the roster down by the end of the summer?

Penter is gone. Likely a couple of pitchers soon.

The Federalist Engineer
07-04-2018, 06:19 PM
This is a kid from Michigan somewhere around Detroit. This made this commitment suspicions to begin with.

Even in its best days, U of Miami emphasized local recruiting because out-of-region kids were notoriously bad-faith commitments. Wasted the coaches time, used visitation resources, wanted phone calls, and then failed to show.

We gotta know who the MSU baseball kids are and focus on them. That said, Vandy would not lose a 33rd rounder

maroonmania
07-04-2018, 06:38 PM
This is a kid from Michigan somewhere around Detroit. This made this commitment suspicions to begin with.

Even in its best days, U of Miami emphasized local recruiting because out-of-region kids were notoriously bad-faith commitments. Wasted the coaches time, used visitation resources, wanted phone calls, and then failed to show.

We gotta know who the MSU baseball kids are and focus on them. That said, Vandy would not lose a 33rd rounder

I will agree that a minority baseball player in Michigan with apparently no family ties to us does not fit the profile of what we would normally see in an MSU baseball recruit. I'm certainly open to bringing in talent of any kind from anywhere, but I guess it shouldn't be a shock to any of us that this player had no real loyalty to coming to MSU when a little bit of money was thrown his way. Especially if he did indeed believe playing time was going to be hard to come by. Yes, we want to have guys ready to go in a year or two but most baseball recruits don't look at it that way. A college baseball career is only 3 year normally anyway so most are not going to be content to sit on the bench for a year or two waiting their turn.

KB21
07-04-2018, 08:48 PM

Vandy gets hit just as hard by the draft as Mississippi State. They lost Ethan Hankins, Ryan Weathers, Will Banfield, Xavier Edwards, and Ryder Green.

In a lot of cases, the player may sign simply because the scholarship situation doesn't allow them to get a free ride to school.

Jack Lambert
07-05-2018, 02:32 PM
You really don' know people's situation. That might be a lot of money to that family or maybe he felt he could not get into school or pass it.

ShotgunDawg
07-05-2018, 06:48 PM
Bush got 290K. https://twitter.com/jimcallismlb/status/1015017977777881088?s=21

That ain't chump change, particularly if it's highly unlikely he'd start at MSU next year.

You can make more money by going to college but you have to perform and put up stats for that to happen.

Without a real chance to start next year, it's hard to blame Bush.

maroonmania
07-05-2018, 07:50 PM
Bush got 290K. https://twitter.com/jimcallismlb/status/1015017977777881088?s=21

That ain't chump change, particularly if it's highly unlikely he'd start at MSU next year.

You can make more money by going to college but you have to perform and put up stats for that to happen.

Without a real chance to start next year, it's hard to blame Bush.

Still pretty much chump change to throw away your college years but everyone's situation is different and 290K is dang good money for a 33rd rounder.

Tbonewannabe
07-05-2018, 07:54 PM
Still pretty much chump change to throw away your college years but everyone's situation is different and 290K is dang good money for a 33rd rounder.

Pilk got around $675k for the 3rd round. It wouldn't surprise me if Stovall signed for less than Bush.

ShotgunDawg
07-05-2018, 08:37 PM
Pilk got around $675k for the 3rd round. It wouldn't surprise me if Stovall signed for less than Bush.

This.

Everyone sees the big signing bonuses out of college but fail to see the guys that lost money by attending college.

maroonmania
07-05-2018, 08:50 PM
This.

Everyone sees the big signing bonuses out of college but fail to see the guys that lost money by attending college.

Its very good money for a 33rd rounder like I said, and I don't think its all about the exact value you get coming out from HS or coming out from college. As stated, everyone has different priorities but to give up some of the best years of your life in college to go bounce around instead in the minor league system should be worth a pretty large amount. The social experience you get in college while also getting to play in front of large, empassioned MSU fans beats the living crap out of riding buses around playing in 2/3rd empty minor league stadiums with nothing else much going on in your life but baseball. To each his own, but I could certainly see doing that if I'm getting life changing money in the million plus range to do it, but not for a couple hundred thousand bucks after taxes. The Pilk comparison is meaningless to me because he got his college experience which now he will always have plus 675K, the best of both worlds.

Homedawg
07-05-2018, 11:30 PM

I assure you he signed for less

Todd4State
07-05-2018, 11:51 PM
Its very good money for a 33rd rounder like I said, and I don't think its all about the exact value you get coming out from HS or coming out from college. As stated, everyone has different priorities but to give up some of the best years of your life in college to go bounce around instead in the minor league system should be worth a pretty large amount. The social experience you get in college while also getting to play in front of large, empassioned MSU fans beats the living crap out of riding buses around playing in 2/3rd empty minor league stadiums with nothing else much going on in your life but baseball. To each his own, but I could certainly see doing that if I'm getting life changing money in the million plus range to do it, but not for a couple hundred thousand bucks after taxes. The Pilk comparison is meaningless to me because he got his college experience which now he will always have plus 675K, the best of both worlds.

Completely ignoring his family situation and assuming that isn't a factor at all- if he goes to school and gets drafted in the top five rounds he probably makes way more than 290K.

Tbonewannabe
07-06-2018, 07:32 AM
I assure you he signed for less

So do you know how much Stovall signed for?

Tbonewannabe
07-06-2018, 07:33 AM
This.

How much was Pilk offered out of HS?

ShotgunDawg
07-06-2018, 07:58 AM
How much was Pilk offered out of HS?

Not sure but every person is different.

Tbonewannabe
07-06-2018, 08:17 AM
Not sure but every person is different.

I was curious since you said that he lost money coming to college or were you talking about Stovall?