PDA

View Full Version : Catcher - 2019

The Federalist Engineer
07-03-2018, 01:48 PM
I like our catching situation next year and really love it for 2020. We have two Gavin Collins level freshman prospects (131th and the 277th ranked players). In the case of Hayden Jones, the HS numbers are superlative for offense. This article explains how his valuation and draft expectations worked in our favor. Also plays 3B.

http://www.news-sentinel.com/sports/2018/06/28/carroll-high-schools-hayden-jones-named-2018-news-sentinel-baseball-player-of-the-year/

But, Luke Hancock is also a PG 9.5-Rated player. He also plays 3B and OF.

Plus we have two experienced guys on the roster in Skelton and Gilbert.

Big Questions:
(1) Who starts?
(2) Do we keep 4?

CadaverDawg
07-03-2018, 01:50 PM
If Skelton starts, Lemonis is off to a bad start

HoopsDawg
07-03-2018, 01:54 PM
Tucker Childers can catch too. Cant keep 5 catchers though Hancock and Childers can play other positions.

Homedawg
07-03-2018, 02:02 PM
If Skelton starts, Lemonis is off to a bad start

If he starts the crowd won’t like it, but it means he beat the other guys out. This will be a clean slate. Play better and start. I do like our depth. 12-13 capable guys getting at bats

Political Hack
07-03-2018, 02:59 PM
If he starts the crowd won’t like it, but it means he beat the other guys out. This will be a clean slate. Play better and start. I do like our depth. 12-13 capable guys getting at bats

I'd expect a bigger jump at catcher than any other position from year to year. I suspect we'll see a huge jump with him behind the player and hitting.

Todd4State
07-03-2018, 03:06 PM
Hayden Jones is my guess as far as who the catcher will be.

Dawg2003
07-03-2018, 07:21 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but why would the pitchers like Skelton over Gilbert if the catchers aren’t calling the pitches? Also, will Gilbert get cut if we have another catcher coming in? I hope not because I do like Gilbert.

Todd4State
07-03-2018, 07:30 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but why would the pitchers like Skelton over Gilbert if the catchers aren’t calling the pitches? Also, will Gilbert get cut if we have another catcher coming in? I hope not because I do like Gilbert.

I guess they are more comfortable throwing to him. I didn't think either one was that good to be honest. They both have a lot to work on. We'll see what Cheesbrough can do with them.

Dawg2003
07-03-2018, 07:50 PM
I guess they are more comfortable throwing to him. I didn't think either one was that good to be honest. They both have a lot to work on. We'll see what Cheesbrough can do with them.

Though I did prefer Gilbert, his hitting dropped off at the end.

CadaverDawg
07-03-2018, 08:11 PM

Not to be mean, but what did you like about Gilbert? He was so bad he couldn't beat out Skelton. I'd be fine if we had only newcomers at catcher this year.

I know it seems like I'm piling on, but our catching this year was like a bad Juco program, and I don't deal well with laziness. And that's not even getting into how bad their bats were

Dawg2003
07-03-2018, 08:53 PM
Not to be mean, but what did you like about Gilbert? He was so bad he couldn't beat out Skelton. I'd be fine if we had only newcomers at catcher this year.

I know it seems like I'm piling on, but our catching this year was like a bad Juco program, and I don't deal well with laziness. And that's not even getting into how bad their bats were

I thought he should have been in over Skelton. Not that he was perfect himself or anything. There?s nothing specific I like about him other than I thought he was better than Skelton.

messageboardsuperhero
07-03-2018, 09:22 PM

As much as Skelton struggled against Vandy’s running game, he is actually a pretty good pitch framer and receiver. Much better than Gilbert anyway. Gilbert has better upside offensively though.

I seen it dawg
07-03-2018, 10:09 PM
Skelton is very below average defensively. And it seems the reason is he doesn't work at it. Just straight ass lazy blocking balls which is a tell tale sign he doesn't work at anything else. Anyone but Skelton. I'd rather catch Mangum.

shoeless joe
07-03-2018, 10:15 PM
Hancock is better rite now than anything we have and has a legit big league throwing arm. But as I've said before, he is smaller built for a D1 catcher.

The Federalist Engineer
07-03-2018, 10:53 PM
Hancock is better rite now than anything we have and has a legit big league throwing arm. But as I've said before, he is smaller built for a D1 catcher.

Bottom line is we are getting competition and depth for a critical field position like we had in Winford-Robinson times

This team is going to be very good in 2019 but will be legit battleship in 2020

Todd4State
07-03-2018, 10:56 PM
Skelton is very below average defensively. And it seems the reason is he doesn't work at it. Just straight ass lazy blocking balls which is a tell tale sign he doesn't work at anything else. Anyone but Skelton. I'd rather catch Mangum.

I agree with what you are saying but to be fair who has been coaching our catchers? That is likely some of the problem because our catchers have been meh for awhile now.