PDA

View Full Version : Update on Carter Stewart

KB21
07-03-2018, 10:56 AM
https://www.talkingchop.com/2018/7/3/17531044/wrist-issue-has-slowed-negotiations-between-atlanta-braves-and-top-draft-pick-carter-stewart

Wow! This may happen. I still expect him to sign, and if he does, that means the Braves may also be able to get Zach Hess to sign.

However, the chances of him coming to MSU have improved.

Bully13
07-03-2018, 11:02 AM
so the 4M is a reduced offer since the wrist injury was discovered? He's still got 4M to look at?

msstate7
07-03-2018, 11:04 AM
Probably go juco to get back in draft sooner if he doesn't sign

KB21
07-03-2018, 11:04 AM
Yes. He was looking at probably $5.2 million before the injury.

msstate7
07-03-2018, 11:05 AM
so the 4M is a reduced offer since the wrist injury was discovered? He's still got 4M to look at?

He's a mega-prospect. He has had a spin rate registered higher than anyone currently in mlb

MarketingBully
07-03-2018, 11:29 AM
Probably go juco to get back in draft sooner if he doesn't sign

I think it’s a possibility he would go JUCO route I guess but that wouldn’t help him at all with his injury. Going to MSU would make more sense if he was looking the college route and we could help him rehab whatever issue he had. If we were able to get both Stewart and Ginn on campus you would have to have us as favorites to win the whole thing. That could also be enough of a draw to get that pitching coach from OSU as well. Having the chance to coach pitchers like Small, Stewart and Ginn would be enough incentive to come to MSU on top of being able to double or triple his salary.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-03-2018, 11:31 AM
I could see him signing for less & having TJ immediately. Many feel the wrist injury is going to lead to TJ surgery so I’d be proactive & get it done after I sign. I’d love for him to come to MSU though & treat next year as a RS rehab year. Have surgery next month & focus on the 2020 season.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-03-2018, 11:33 AM
I think it’s a possibility he would go JUCO route I guess but that wouldn’t help him at all with his injury. Going to MSU would make more sense if he was looking the college route and we could help him rehab whatever issue he had. If we were able to get both Stewart and Ginn on campus you would have to have us as favorites to win the whole thing. That could also be enough of a draw to get that pitching coach from OSU as well. Having the chance to coach pitchers like Small, Stewart and Ginn would be enough incentive to come to MSU on top of being able to double or triple his salary.
Stewart is definitely not coming. His %: .0001. Ginn %: 5

Ifyouonlyknew
07-03-2018, 11:37 AM

Ginn is definitely higher than 5%.

MarketingBully
07-03-2018, 11:39 AM

Ginn’s percent is much higher then 5%. I’d say 50/50. The Dodgers aren’t going to get to his number (not even really close). It just depends on are they going to settle on a number in the $2.5-2.6 range...

MarketingBully
07-03-2018, 11:40 AM
Love the people putting up percents who don’t know crap about the situations.

Homedawg
07-03-2018, 11:41 AM
Ginn is definitely higher than 5%.

The dodgers basically have 2.75 to sign him if they sign their 2nd and 10th to slot. Both are college jrs. Gonna go to the wire it appears. Typical.

msstate7
07-03-2018, 11:43 AM
The dodgers basically have 2.75 to sign him if they sign their 2nd and 10th to slot. Both are college jrs. Gonna go to the wire it appears. Typical.

Losing a 10th round pick wouldn't have the sting of a 1st rounder. I imagine if it comes down to it, they'll take the chance on losing 10th rounder before Ginn and 2nd rounder

MarketingBully
07-03-2018, 11:44 AM

They may have to go over slot to sign both those guys. Both are juniors with leverage.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-03-2018, 11:44 AM

Yep but as of yesterday $2.75 wasn’t going to get the job done. Will it be enough by Friday afternoon we’ll see. Maybe LA comes up with a couple more hundred thousand but Ginn, family, & Boras have been firm on their # & haven’t budged.

MarketingBully
07-03-2018, 11:45 AM
Losing a 10th round pick wouldn't have the sting of a 1st rounder. I imagine if it comes down to it, they'll take the chance on losing 10th rounder before Ginn and 2nd rounder

They may rather have the compensatory pick then Ginn in the end. I think they only offer him $2.5-2.6.

MarketingBully
07-03-2018, 11:47 AM
Yep but as of yesterday $2.75 wasn’t going to get the job done. Will it be enough by Friday afternoon we’ll see. Maybe LA comes up with a couple more hundred thousand but Ginn, family, & Boras have been firm on their # & haven’t budged.

If $2.75 wasn’t enough to sign him, they aren’t getting him. That’s almost $500k above slot. They don’t have anymore wiggle room to get to $3 million.

Homedawg
07-03-2018, 11:48 AM
They may have to go over slot to sign both those guys. Both are juniors with leverage.

It’s possible. But also possible they sign for less. See Pilk. But the tenth rd guy can’t save them much anyway. Hard to do the math and have 3 mil available if that’s absolutely what they have to have.

msstate7
07-03-2018, 11:49 AM
Sps saying dodgers signed 10th rounder at $134,300. This is basically at slot... $2,000 less

MarketingBully
07-03-2018, 11:51 AM
It’s possible. But also possible they sign for less. See Pilk. But the tenth rd guy can’t save them much anyway. Hard to do the math and have 3 mil available if that’s absolutely what they have to have.

Lol, it may come down to the negotiating skills of a Florida Gator for us to get Ginn (Deacon Liput). Interesting times I tell ya.

Commercecomet24
07-03-2018, 11:56 AM
The Ginn's want significantly more than 2.75. With what I heard last week about the situation they're not budging, and we can thank Mr. Boras for his advice and guidance in this deal. The Dodogers peed in their own pool. I don't foresee the Dodgers matching what they want, but it's gonna come right down to the wire.

Homedawg
Sps saying dodgers signed 10th rounder at $134,300. This is basically at slot... $2,000 less

Ok Tks for update. Didn’t know that.

Commercecomet24
If $2.75 wasn’t enough to sign him, they aren’t getting him. That’s almost $500k above slot. They don’t have anymore wiggle room to get to $3 million.

The number is higher than 3 million

msstate7
07-03-2018, 11:57 AM
Ok Tks for update. Didn’t know that.

Just happened

Homedawg
07-03-2018, 11:57 AM
The Ginn's want significantly more than 2.75. With what I heard last week about the situation they're not budging, and we can thank Mr. Boras for his advice and guidance in this deal. The Dodogers peed in their own pool. I don't foresee the Dodgers matching what they want, but it's gonna come right down to the wire.
Well the only way it becomes available is if the second rounder signs for way less than his 917k slot.

Commercecomet24
07-03-2018, 12:00 PM
Well the only way it becomes available is if the second rounder signs for way less than his 917k slot.

Exactly. There's a lot of moving parts to this story but the Dodgers have botched this from the get go.

msstate7
07-03-2018, 12:01 PM

Or the dodgers decide to go with one or the other and throw money at guys drafted after 10th round.

msstate7
07-03-2018, 12:04 PM
Interesting note on grove (dodgers 2nd pick), he had TJ surgery in 2017 and didn't pitch at all this year. This guy could get stuck

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-03-2018, 01:24 PM
Love the people putting up percents who don?t know crap about the situations.

love people that can't include everything in one post and have to create two post to do it.....Dumbass. And FYI, you have no idea what I know so STFU.

MarketingBully
07-03-2018, 01:40 PM
love people that can't include everything in one post and have to create two post to do it.....Dumbass. And FYI, you have no idea what I know so STFU.

You don’t know shit on Ginn I can tell you that.

Homedawg
07-03-2018, 01:49 PM
Interesting note on grove (dodgers 2nd pick), he had TJ surgery in 2017 and didn't pitch at all this year. This guy could get stuck

Just read something that he wants more than slot?? Who knows

Rick Danko
07-03-2018, 01:52 PM

Bwahahaha.... keyboard tough guys are great

MarketingBully
07-03-2018, 01:57 PM
Just read something that he wants more than slot?? Who knows

They really really like him and he still does have leverage so who knows.

MarketingBully
07-03-2018, 02:00 PM

I trust Commerce on this and a couple of others that have given us the straight dope. Based on their information and even IYOK has stated as much, I can honestly say the number is significantly higher then 5% that he is coming to State.

Todd4State
07-03-2018, 03:44 PM
I could see him signing for less & having TJ immediately. Many feel the wrist injury is going to lead to TJ surgery so I?d be proactive & get it done after I sign. I?d love for him to come to MSU though & treat next year as a RS rehab year. Have surgery next month & focus on the 2020 season.

That's crazy to me. You shouldn't have surgery before you need to. And the other crazy thing here is I have to wonder if that wrist injury is why his spin rate is so high in the first place?

IMO I think coming to MSU would benefit him more than going the JUCO route. The same concerns are going to be around next year. If you come to MSU you get three years to prove you are healthy and you play against better competition. Tyler Beede formerly of Vanderbilt did that and ended up as a first round pick three years later. Same situation for him- there were injury concerns on the physical after he was drafted albeit not as high as Stewart- but the team drafting him wanted to sign him for way under slot and he actually ended up making more money by going to Vanderbilt.

That said- I'm not expecting him to come to MSU.

Bully13
07-03-2018, 03:44 PM
Bwahahaha.... keyboard tough guys are great

Too bad he can't transfer those muscles to the brain.

Todd4State
07-03-2018, 03:46 PM
I trust Commerce on this and a couple of others that have given us the straight dope. Based on their information and even IYOK has stated as much, I can honestly say the number is significantly higher then 5% that he is coming to State.

Commerce is by far the best source on this. And the encouraging thing is I'm hearing the same thing from other sources. That's a good sign for us.

BankerDog
07-03-2018, 04:14 PM
I've heard $3.1M and that's a stern $3.1M. Anything below and Ginn will be at State. I've even heard he is hoping the Dodgers don't offer that because he wants to come State that bad. It'll be an interesting rest of the week.

msstate7
07-03-2018, 04:17 PM
I've heard $3.1M and that's a stern $3.1M. Anything below and Ginn will be at State. I've even heard he is hoping the Dodgers don't offer that because he wants to come State that bad. It'll be an interesting rest of the week.

If pick 2 is holding steady to above slot also, then the dodgers will have to pick 1. No way the dodgers lose their first 2 picks

engineerdog
07-03-2018, 04:23 PM
If pick 2 is holding steady to above slot also, then the dodgers will have to pick 1. No way the dodgers lose their first 2 picks

They don't exactly lose their picks. One thing I've learned from this is that the money kind of rolls over. The Dodgers aren't going to be left completely empty handed if they don't sign one of their top two picks.

msstate7
07-03-2018, 04:31 PM
They don't exactly lose their picks. One thing I've learned from this is that the money kind of rolls over. The Dodgers aren't going to be left completely empty handed if they don't sign one of their top two picks.

They lose them this year.

I doubt seriously they lose both. If it becomes apparent both isn't happening, I bet they at least get 1. I'd bet big on that... does silver star/golden moon have a future on that? Lol

Commercecomet24
07-03-2018, 04:46 PM

This is very accurate although the number I've been told is a touch higher. JT has always wanted to play at State and especially the New Dude. I believe the next week or so is gonna be very good for our baseball program. Good post, Banker.

Homedawg
07-03-2018, 05:28 PM
This is very accurate although the number I've been told is a touch higher. JT has always wanted to play at State and especially the New Dude. I believe the next week or so is gonna be very good for our baseball program. Good post, Banker.

Here’s the bottom line. If it’s 3.1 they have to sign the second rounder to 400k below slot. Not happening. If it’s more than that it’s impossible. The dodgers will make him turn down 2.75. That’s gonna happen. We shall see how stern they are with their demands come sat. The kid, from you and others clearly wants to play here. Hope he stays healthy

Homedawg
07-03-2018, 05:30 PM
They lose them this year.

I doubt seriously they lose both. If it becomes apparent both isn't happening, I bet they at least get 1. I'd bet big on that... does silver star/golden moon have a future on that? Lol

No way they let them both go. Problem is the 5% overage shrinks if they don’t sign Ginn. They will sign one if not both. No way they kiss on both. If they do, director of scouting should be fired.

Commercecomet24
07-03-2018, 05:34 PM
Here’s the bottom line. If it’s 3.1 they have to sign the second rounder to 400k below slot. Not happening. If it’s more than that it’s impossible. The dodgers will make him turn down 2.75. That’s gonna happen. We shall see how stern they are with their demands come sat. The kid, from you and others clearly wants to play here. Hope he stays healthy

Yep that's an accurate summation. They'll have it covered if there's an injury at State. I feel confident cause JT wants to be at State but also because of Boras and a couple of other things.

Homedawg
07-03-2018, 05:39 PM
Yep that's an accurate summation. They'll have it covered if there's an injury at State. I feel confident cause JT wants to be at State but also because of Boras and a couple of other things.

Thanks for your reports on the matter. If he signs so be it and good luck to him. Can’t blame the guy. Hope he’s a dog though.

Commercecomet24
07-03-2018, 05:56 PM
Thanks for your reports on the matter. If he signs so be it and good luck to him. Can?t blame the guy. Hope he?s a dog though.

You're welcome. I'm with ya!

Pit Bull
07-03-2018, 11:14 PM
50% of that signing bonus will go toward taxes.

Homedawg
07-03-2018, 11:44 PM

Get a new accountant. No it won’t

SailingDawg
07-04-2018, 04:13 PM
Just found out Stewart is the son of an old friend from Columbus though I haven't talked to them in years. Can you imagine the change in your life dealing with that amount of money?

Thick
07-04-2018, 04:26 PM
38% would go to taxes if he decides to take the maximum out right?

Tbonewannabe
07-04-2018, 04:36 PM
38% would go to taxes if he decides to take the maximum out right?

I actually read up that most people get the bonus deferred over 2-3 years so they have less of a tax liability at once.

yjnkdawg
07-04-2018, 04:39 PM

Try 37% as the top IRS tax bracket for 2018.

Commercecomet24
07-04-2018, 05:08 PM
I actually read up that most people get the bonus deferred over 2-3 years so they have less of a tax liability at once.

Bingo. Very few take it all at once, much better to defer over a longer period of time.

Homedawg
07-04-2018, 05:53 PM
Try 37% as the top IRS tax bracket for 2018.

Which is pro rated. So nobody pays 37% federal. Add 5% state and the max is 42. And that’s before write offs etc.

Johnson85
07-04-2018, 08:32 PM
Which is pro rated. So nobody pays 37% federal. Add 5% state and the max is 42. And that’s before write offs etc.

You're forgetting the Medicare surtax. So tack on 3.8% (I think it's still in place).

Avelso
07-04-2018, 08:59 PM
Unless the collective bargaining agreement has changed it split into 2 years. Most in something like 60 days and the rest in Feb.

Homedawg
07-04-2018, 09:33 PM
You're forgetting the Medicare surtax. So tack on 3.8% (I think it's still in place).

I think it’s 1.5 up to 200k and .9 after. But yes. You are correct. Either way it won’t be 50% w an accountant who can spell cat.

KB21
07-05-2018, 09:51 AM
I don't know about Ginn at this point, but I'm hearing from very good Braves sources that Carter Stewart will likely sign, and that it will be for an amount that allows the Braves to make a serious run at signing Zach Hess from LSU.

Todd4State
07-05-2018, 10:15 AM
I don't know about Ginn at this point, but I'm hearing from very good Braves sources that Carter Stewart will likely sign, and that it will be for an amount that allows the Braves to make a serious run at signing Zach Hess from LSU.

If they get Hess I'm totally good with Stewart signing as part of the collateral damage because he's not coming here anyway.

MagnoliaLedger
07-05-2018, 10:53 AM
FWIW, Matt Powers, who covers the Braves minor leagues and MLB draft, has said that it's more than likely that Carter signs, but if he doesn't, he'd expect him to come to MSU.

MarketingBully
07-05-2018, 11:04 AM
FWIW, Matt Powers, who covers the Braves minor leagues and MLB draft, has said that it's more than likely that Carter signs, but if he doesn't, he'd expect him to come to MSU.

Exactly, he’s not going JUCO with an injury that needs rehabbing.

Todd4State
07-05-2018, 11:37 AM
Exactly, he’s not going JUCO with an injury that needs rehabbing.

Doesn't make sense to me that the few that are in that situation don't go the Tyler Beede route and go to college. If you do get hurt you have more time to recover and if you prove you are healthy even better.

MarketingBully
07-05-2018, 11:46 AM
Doesn't make sense to me that the few that are in that situation don't go the Tyler Beede route and go to college. If you do get hurt you have more time to recover and if you prove you are healthy even better.

The JUCO idea is a dumb, dumb one. The only reason to do that is so he can be in the MLB draft next year and that IS the only positive with that option. Do you think a JUCO is going to A) be able to detect if he has an injury, or B) even be able to rehab it properly? The answer is no to both those questions. With that said, the Braves are still offering him top 10 money and I believe he will sign. He’s not going to be a top 10 pick at a JUCO next year anyway. The highest a JUCO player went in the 2018 draft was second round. Not a good endorsement for JUCO.

Bulldog1
07-05-2018, 01:23 PM
David O'brien says Carter Stewart is expected to sign with the Braves.

Thick
07-05-2018, 03:03 PM
When’s the deadline...tomorrow at 5PM EST?

Thick
07-05-2018, 03:06 PM
https://twitter.com/jeffmlbdraft/status/1014897042668376064?s=21

Other thoughts on Ginn and Stewart.

KB21
07-05-2018, 03:16 PM
If they get Hess I'm totally good with Stewart signing as part of the collateral damage because he's not coming here anyway.

If they get Hess, that's 6 of BA's top 100 prospects from this draft that Atlanta has signed: Carter Stewart, Grayson Jenista, Tristan Beck, Trevor Riley, Zach Hess, and Nolan Kingham. This is without a 3rd round pick due to the Coppy stuff.

msstate7
07-05-2018, 03:20 PM
If they get Hess, that's 6 of BA's top 100 prospects from this draft that Atlanta has signed: Carter Stewart, Grayson Jenista, Tristan Beck, Trevor Riley, Zach Hess, and Nolan Kingham. This is without a 3rd round pick due to the Coppy stuff.

Jenista is punishing the ball so far

MarketingBully
07-05-2018, 03:42 PM

What I want to know is who is saying JUCO? The only one I have seen say this is Sevendust and others have piggy-backed off of it. No credible MLB guy is saying he would go the JUCO route. Matt Powers says if he doesn’t sign with the Braves he’s going MSU and he’s much closer to the situation then some of these others are that are saying JUCO. Is it just negative pessimism that he wouldn’t come here or is there actual evidence? Just curious because the JUCO angle makes no sense.

KB21
07-05-2018, 03:56 PM

Brian Bridges felt Jenista had the highest power potential of the hitters in the draft.

msstate7
07-05-2018, 04:05 PM
What I want to know is who is saying JUCO? The only one I have seen say this is Sevendust and others have piggy-backed off of it. No credible MLB guy is saying he would go the JUCO route. Matt Powers says if he doesn’t sign with the Braves he’s going MSU and he’s much closer to the situation then some of these others are that are saying JUCO. Is it just negative pessimism that he wouldn’t come here or is there actual evidence? Just curious because the JUCO angle makes no sense.

I have ZERO inside knowledge to Stewart. I expect him to sign anyway

MarketingBully
07-05-2018, 04:24 PM

Gotcha. I could only find one guy saying JUCO. The other MLB guys were saying if he doesn’t sign with the Braves he’s going to State. Although, I wish we would have hired a pitching coach at the beginning of the week instead of waiting like we were. Still hope it’s either Yeskie or Foxhall. I’d be good with either.

Todd4State
07-05-2018, 04:25 PM

That should answer your question. That's the same guy that insisted that Jake Mangum was going to LSU four years ago.

Todd4State
07-05-2018, 04:26 PM
Brian Bridges felt Jenista had the highest power potential of the hitters in the draft.

I liked Jenista a lot too and wanted the Cardinals to draft him if possible. But they didn't ask me. I'm fine with Nolan Gorman and Luken Baker though so I can't really say I'm unhappy.

Todd4State
07-05-2018, 04:28 PM
Gotcha. I could only find one guy saying JUCO. The other MLB guys were saying if he doesn’t sign with the Braves he’s going to State. Although, I wish we would have hired a pitching coach at the beginning of the week instead of waiting like we were. Still hope it’s either Yeskie or Foxhall. I’d be good with either.

I agree it would help but a program like MSU's is going to hire someone good and they know that. We have too much invested in it.

maroonmania
07-05-2018, 07:56 PM

Well duh, I would EXPECT every first rounder to sign. Doesn't happen 100% of the time but its certainly to be expected. Even if you don't quite get 100% of your slot money its still a ton of money..

KB21
07-05-2018, 08:05 PM
Ginn is coming to MSU. He announced it.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-05-2018, 08:41 PM
Keep your fingers crossed. I hear there’s a legit chance for Stewart to end up in Starkville too.

msstate7
07-05-2018, 08:43 PM
Keep your fingers crossed. I hear there’s a legit chance for Stewart to end up in Starkville too.

Well that would be awesome. He is a legit Friday night guy day 1 on campus

HoopsDawg
07-05-2018, 08:45 PM

Get the f out.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-05-2018, 08:47 PM
Get the f out.

That’s the word I’m hearing. Not ready to say he’s coming but there’s a real chance.

Homedawg
07-05-2018, 08:50 PM
Well Lemonis gas his first piece of being head coach to do-figure out the scholarship mess he’s got. Cause he’s got one. But I lOVE the problem. So somebody gets theirs feelings hurt. Part of it now if Stewart comes, boy he’s really going to do some work. And problem is he’s never seen our guys play. AgaIn good problem.

Bulldog1
07-05-2018, 08:51 PM
Keep your fingers crossed. I hear there?s a legit chance for Stewart to end up in Starkville too.

Wow. That would be awesome!

SandlotDawg
07-05-2018, 08:52 PM
If this happens, go ahead and start drawing up plans for Lemonis a statue.

maroonmania
07-05-2018, 08:53 PM
That’s the word I’m hearing. Not ready to say he’s coming but there’s a real chance.

If that happened I could see us jumping to literally being a top 2 or 3 team in the nation next year when you put Ginn and Stewart with the lineup we have coming back.

HoopsDawg
07-05-2018, 09:16 PM
Well Lemonis gas his first piece of being head coach to do-figure out the scholarship mess he’s got. Cause he’s got one. But I lOVE the problem. So somebody gets theirs feelings hurt. Part of it now if Stewart comes, boy he’s really going to do some work. And problem is he’s never seen our guys play. AgaIn good problem.

I count 20 returners on the roster. we have 20 incoming players. only have to process 5. shouldn't be too hard. Depends on how many pitchers you want to carry. I think we carried 17 this year.

Bulldog1
07-05-2018, 09:23 PM
Jim Powell said he's heard the Braves probably won't sign Carter Stewart!

ShotgunDawg
07-05-2018, 09:24 PM
Jim Powell said he's heard the Braves probably won't sign Carter Stewart!

Don't get your hopes up though. The kid is academically challenged and would likely go to JUCO if he doesn't sign.

Bully13
07-05-2018, 09:25 PM
Don't get your hopes up though. The kid is academically challenged and would likely go to JUCO if he doesn't sign.

Good Lord Gun.

msstate7
07-05-2018, 09:26 PM
The wildcard on Stewart is his wrist. What is the proposed fix for it according to the braves? All I've read is there is an issue with the wrist, but no solution

MarketingBully
07-05-2018, 09:26 PM

I reiterate this statement. Commerce was good throughout this whole process. Well done sir and thanks for every update you gave us! It was spot on.

ShotgunDawg
07-05-2018, 09:29 PM
Good Lord Gun.

What?

It's acceptable to talk about Diwun Black, Malik Heath, and others that play football but not baseball players?

FWIW, Carter is eligible for MSU but he's not a college type kid. He has no interest in school.

BankerDog
07-05-2018, 09:37 PM
What?

It's acceptable to talk about Diwun Black, Malik Heath, and others that play football but not baseball players?

FWIW, Carter is eligible for MSU but he's not a college type kid. He has no interest in school.

No it's not acceptable to talk about either-Black, Heath, Stewart, etc.

There a lot of collegiate athletes on campuses everywhere that aren't "college type" kids and they're only there to do one thing: have a chance to play professionally. He's eligible for MSU then he's eligible for every other school in the SEC so he doesn't have an academic problem, get that stuff out of here that's ridiculous to post.

Bully13
07-05-2018, 09:38 PM
What?

So, he's eligible for MSU but you said likely JUCO? You delivery is poor on this. This is a subject when discussed, needs to be handled in the "right" way. "Has work to do" is preferable. But hell, according to you, he's already eligible. There have been several instances where some of our posters have been taken to task on this. I've got no say so, Just giving my opinion. "academically challenged" just turns me off to some extent. And yes, your example here is milder than others in the past. just saying.

maroonmania
07-05-2018, 09:45 PM
?

How do you know this anyway? Carter is not even a local kid but a FL product. Who's third or fourth hand word are you taking on this to say this about him? If the guy was that disinterested in being a student would he not just take whatever offer he is getting from the Braves and move on with his baseball professional life to avoid school altogether? Still would be a nice chunk of change and maybe he still does that but he could have gone ahead and settled a week ago on a decent number even though well below slot just to avoid school.

msstate7
07-05-2018, 09:49 PM
The academic deal with Stewart seems like no deal even if true. There are classes anyone with half a brain can pass at state or any school... not like we signing him up for chemical engineering

ShotgunDawg
07-05-2018, 09:50 PM
How do you know this anyway? Carter is not even a local kid but a FL product. Who's third or fourth hand word are you taking on this to say this about him? If the guy was that disinterested in being a student would he not just take whatever offer he is getting from the Braves and move on with his baseball professional life to avoid school altogether? Still would be a nice chunk of change and maybe he still does that but he could have gone ahead and settled a week ago on a decent number even though well below slot just to avoid school.

Magic

ShotgunDawg
07-05-2018, 09:51 PM
The academic deal with Stewart seems like no deal even if true. There are classes anyone with half a brain can pass at state or any school... not like we signing him up for chemical engineering

We'll see. He doesn't like school

ShotgunDawg
07-05-2018, 09:52 PM

Would be one of the most physically talented college baseball rotations in history.

Thick
07-05-2018, 09:53 PM
Word on the street is that Stewart was told by the Braves that 1 year of JUCO would not help his situation that he should go to State. I?m not kidding, just throwing it out there for you guys.

Noxdog
07-05-2018, 09:54 PM

Would just embrace the fact he is a scout. Nothing wrong with it. He lives in that world and knows other scouts. Honestly, I think he holds a little back on baseball posts..

ShotgunDawg
07-05-2018, 09:56 PM
Word on the street is that Stewart was told by the Braves that 1 year of JUCO would not help his situation that he should go to State. I?m not kidding, just throwing it out there for you guys.

Would be absurdly ridiculous and lucky for us. Crazy if true

MarketingBully
07-05-2018, 09:59 PM

Lemonis’s new nickname would be Lucky Lemonis.

Todd4State
07-05-2018, 10:01 PM
Lemonis’s new nickname would be Lucky Lemonis.

I'd rather him be lucky than good.

Todd4State
07-05-2018, 10:03 PM

Well, they're right. He's going to have the same wrist issue one year later after JUCO. And if by chance he gets hurt Don Shula JUCO in Florida is not going to have the medical team that MSU has. Heck, we're less than 100 miles from Dr. Andrew's headquarters. And yeah- I know he has a place in Florida too.

If he comes to MSU and proves three years down the road that he is still healthy or if he by chance gets hurt and is able to rehab with us like Small is essentially doing he's going to be much better off. He gets hurt in JUCO he is pretty much done.

Todd4State
07-05-2018, 10:06 PM
What?

You mean like Eric DuBose? I heard he told the counselors at MSU it didn't really matter what he was going to major in because he was gone in three years anyway. And he was a man of his word.

Todd4State
07-05-2018, 10:09 PM
And even better- this means that Hess could be gone from LSU next year.

This would be like the Cardinals signing Max Scherzer and the Cubs having to automatically force Jon Lester into retirement as collateral damage.

maroonmania
07-05-2018, 10:09 PM
Would just embrace the fact he is a scout. Nothing wrong with it. He lives in that world and knows other scouts. Honestly, I think he holds a little back on baseball posts..

I've read Shotgun's posts on here for years but had no clue he is a scout. Never ever even seen it mentioned.

Noxdog
07-05-2018, 10:13 PM
I've read Shotgun's posts on here for years but had no clue he is a scout. Never ever even seen it mentioned.

I could be mistaken. Apoolgies, if so.

KB21
07-05-2018, 10:23 PM
Well, they're right. He's going to have the same wrist issue one year later after JUCO. And if by chance he gets hurt Don Shula JUCO in Florida is not going to have the medical team that MSU has. Heck, we're less than 100 miles from Dr. Andrew's headquarters. And yeah- I know he has a place in Florida too.

If he comes to MSU and proves three years down the road that he is still healthy or if he by chance gets hurt and is able to rehab with us like Small is essentially doing he's going to be much better off. He gets hurt in JUCO he is pretty much done.

Not only would he have those resources. I’m also just up the road in West Point and have experience with sports medicine.

Dawg61
07-05-2018, 10:24 PM
I'd rather him be lucky than good.

Being good increases your chances on being lucky. I'd rather he be good and lucky. Lucky Lemons.

Todd4State
07-05-2018, 10:31 PM

After how many times have we been unlucky?

AlSwearengen
07-05-2018, 10:36 PM
Just read a USToday article from June 2 in which Stewart said he “swung a little too hard (while batting) the other day and had a little bit of a wrist issue”. Sounds like he did it swinging the bat maybe.

msstate7
07-05-2018, 10:37 PM
Poster on braves' board is guessing the braves are offering the minimum (4 million) in order to retain the pick next season. His theory is perhaps Carter's injury is a pretty big deal, so the braves offer the minimum required to hold the pick next season. Who knows how much merit there is to this; but if the injury is a big deal, I think our chances of getting him so up.

Todd4State
07-05-2018, 10:39 PM
Poster on braves' board is guessing the braves are offering the minimum (4 million) in order to retain the pick next season. His theory is perhaps Carter's injury is a pretty big deal, so the braves offer the minimum required to hold the pick next season. Who knows how much merit there is to this; but if the injury is a big deal, I think our chances of getting him so up.

Here's a crazy thought- maybe Stewart has an even higher asking price than Ginn did?

msstate7
07-05-2018, 10:43 PM
Here's a crazy thought- maybe Stewart has an even higher asking price than Ginn did?

I'd hope so. Stewart's slot value is $4,980,700

KB21
07-05-2018, 10:47 PM

They had agreed to a deal pending physical. The physical didn’t turn out in Carter’s favor.

Bulldog1
07-05-2018, 10:49 PM

Well looks like it was higher than 5%.

ShotgunDawg
07-05-2018, 11:00 PM

I was an associate for a few years. No biggy

Just know some people.

I seen it dawg
07-05-2018, 11:59 PM

He can call me..roster prob fixed in 3 mins

Bulldog1
07-06-2018, 12:03 AM
Skelton is one.

I seen it dawg
07-06-2018, 12:04 AM
IF Stewart is gonna have to go college then he has to go to a place that has top rehab facilities for his injury..whether he likes school or not. Otherwise he may never amount to anything bc he won't ever get back from injury.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
07-06-2018, 12:15 AM
sounds like if they don't sign Stewart the Braves will offer some of the savings to try and sign LSU's friday night starter Hess (34th round). 2 birds and such.

Todd4State
07-06-2018, 12:51 AM
Skelton is one.

He was bad last year. I do want to see what Cheesbrough can do with these catchers. 100% agree that Skelton needs to step it up. We basically added three catchers in the offseason- Hayden Jones who I think will start, Luke Hancock, and Tucker Childers. I think Childers is going to be more of a role player though.

If I'm Skelton I'm getting Ed Easley's number on speed dial and working with him everyday.

The Federalist Engineer
07-06-2018, 01:32 AM
No it's not acceptable to talk about either-Black, Heath, Stewart, etc.

There a lot of collegiate athletes on campuses everywhere that aren't "college type" kids and they're only there to do one thing: have a chance to play professionally. He's eligible for MSU then he's eligible for every other school in the SEC so he doesn't have an academic problem, get that stuff out of here that's ridiculous to post.

Yep, just look at Vandy baseball's roster of undeclared and general studies majors. AKA watching ESPN all day for 3 years.

Additionally Carters HS is a pretty good institution, probably significantly more academically challenging than Ole Miss.

Pit Bull
07-06-2018, 02:31 AM

Hell.....I can come up with a 4 year degree program in basket weaving if necessary to get him to MSU!

KB21
07-06-2018, 08:28 AM
sounds like if they don't sign Stewart the Braves will offer some of the savings to try and sign LSU's friday night starter Hess (34th round). 2 birds and such.

Actually, since Stewart's slot value is slightly above $4.9 million, if they don't sign him, they lose that slot value. The key for the Braves signing Hess is if Stewart signs for the $4 million the Braves are offering. If Stewart doesn't sign, the Braves lose that slot money, and there is not enough extra to get Hess signed.

MSU338
07-06-2018, 09:43 AM
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/braves-carter-stewart-may-not-sign/
Time is ticking

stalkingpoon
07-06-2018, 09:50 AM

Doesn't work that way. They only get extra if Carter signs under slot value. He he doesn't sign, they lose the entire amount.

Bully13
07-06-2018, 09:51 AM
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why Stewart would turn down 4M. I understand Ginn's decision, wish I knew what was going on in Stewart's head though unless the Braves are now balking totally on Stewart.

msstate7
07-06-2018, 10:04 AM
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out why Stewart would turn down 4M. I understand Ginn's decision, wish I knew what was going on in Stewart's head though unless the Braves are now balking totally on Stewart.

Slot is 4.9. Guess he feels he's being low balled. Braves are definitely offering 4. If they don't offer that, they don't get the pick back next season

AlSwearengen
07-06-2018, 10:20 AM
I’m with Bully on this one. I think i would go ahead and sign, unless the family is worried that the braves don’t really want him and are just leaving that money on the table in order to get a pick next year. It would suck to be in an organization that had some resentment toward you.

The Braves could be pissed that a possible injury may not have been disclosed. Who knows, we only get limited information.

Really Clark?
07-06-2018, 10:20 AM
Diamondbacks first rounder not signing his slot value offer as well, going to UCLA. Actually thought he would sign since the Dbacks went with him in the first round. Some had that as a bit of a reach but low first round slot for him and I thought they might of had a good read on him signing.

Really Clark?
07-06-2018, 10:26 AM
I’m with Bully on this one. I think i would go ahead and sign, unless the family is worried that the braves don’t really want him and are just leaving that money on the table in order to get a pick next year. It would suck to be in an organization that had some resentment toward you.

The Braves could be pissed that a possible injury may not have been disclosed. Who knows, we only get limited information.

Could be or both sides just waiting to last minute to see who blinks first. It was noted his wrist was bothering him before the draft so it wasn’t a surprise deal after the draft. I admit though an extreme breaking ball pitcher like him with questions with his wrist would bother me as well with his long term development and possible injuries

gravedigger
07-06-2018, 10:59 AM
Skelton is one.

Maybe it's just me, but wouldnt we rather remove a scholarship from someone who didnt play? I mean, Skelton made some errors to be sure, but he did something to earn his way onto the field where others sat and we never saw them.

KB21
07-06-2018, 11:14 AM

This could very well be a situation where the Braves are trying to use what is a minor injury to get him to sign below slot so they can use the savings to make a run at Zach Hess, and the Stewarts are balking because the injury is very likely minor (something like a TFCC strain of the wrist).

MarketingBully
07-06-2018, 11:28 AM
This could very well be a situation where the Braves are trying to use what is a minor injury to get him to sign below slot so they can use the savings to make a run at Zach Hess, and the Stewarts are balking because the injury is very likely minor (something like a TFCC strain of the wrist).

Either way, college is better then JUCO if he wants to improve his stock. In three years if he shows no signs of an injury, he’d have a chance to be the number 1 overall pick. At JUCO, he’d be lucky to get back to where he was plus the concerns still will be there with practically no net at all.

Todd4State
07-06-2018, 11:50 AM

I've seen instances with prospects drafted this high where a failed physical can cost the player millions off of what the team originally offered. I don't know what the Braves new offer is but it could be more like what Ginn was offered.

bostondawg
07-06-2018, 11:59 AM
I've seen instances with prospects drafted this high where a failed physical can cost the player millions off of what the team originally offered. I don't know what the Braves new offer is but it could be more like what Ginn was offered.

Then if so, I'd love to see Carter come to MSU, rehab his wrist here then get back to that 5 mil in three years.

Bully13
07-06-2018, 12:55 PM

If they offer $2.3M, then I'm of the opinion he gone. Of course I'm not going to go all out on that because I don't want Ronaldus Magnus GIF's laughing at me if he comes to MSU.

bostondawg
07-06-2018, 01:00 PM

Wait correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't 4 mil the minimum for that slot for the Braves to retain the #9 pick next year? Why would they go below the minimum? They'd risk not getting their comp pick next year if Stewart doesn't sign.

bulldogsmsu
07-06-2018, 01:20 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/braves-carter-stewart-may-not-sign/

BrunswickDawg
07-06-2018, 01:27 PM
Wait correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't 4 mil the minimum for that slot for the Braves to retain the #9 pick next year? Why would they go below the minimum? They'd risk not getting their comp pick next year if Stewart doesn't sign.

Mark Bowman explains:

https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1015290018812907523

bostondawg
07-06-2018, 01:44 PM
Mark Bowman explains:

https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1015290018812907523. (http://./)

Ah okay I see. The minimum was 2 mil, not 4 mil. Ouch, poor Stewart.

MarketingBully
07-06-2018, 01:48 PM
I’d come to MSU if I was Stewart.

Todd4State
07-06-2018, 01:53 PM
I’d come to MSU if I was Stewart.

Jim Callis who covers MLB (he's reputable) is saying the Braves are offering a lot closer to the 40% threshold or about 2 million. Which is closer to what Ginn was offered by the Dodgers. I can't see the Braves going much higher at this point. I like where we are right now.

ScoobaDawg
07-06-2018, 01:58 PM
2 hours to go... Oh man... and things seem to be trending more our way

Bulldog1
07-06-2018, 02:02 PM
Matt Powers says JUCO. Hope he's wrong.

msstate7
07-06-2018, 02:03 PM
Ah okay I see. The minimum was 2 mil, not 4 mil. Ouch, poor Stewart.

Yeah, I thought he was crazy to turn down 4, but that wasn't the offer

Bully13
07-06-2018, 02:09 PM
Matt Powers says JUCO. Hope he's wrong.

did Matt give a reason for this? If his choice is college, why JUCO and not MSU?

Hambone
07-06-2018, 02:11 PM
Because if JUCO he’s draft eligible after one year. Come to state it’ll be two years

KB21
07-06-2018, 02:11 PM
did Matt give a reason for this? If his choice is college, why JUCO and not MSU?

It would be because he can be drafted again next year if he goes JUCO where he will have to play for three years at MSU. With that said, I don't know exactly what his wrist issue is, but he may hurt himself long term if he doesn't get that wrist rehabbed properly. He's taking a risk going to a JUCO that will not have the medical resources he needs to rehab the wrist.

Bulldog1
07-06-2018, 02:15 PM

He says:
"It sounds like he’s set on a local JUCO. I’m guessing it’s Eastern Florida State based on the info I was given about where the school is....

I think it’s an excuse. What I can say is that they seem certain he’d go high next year. It makes some sense based on how he hurt it(swinging the bat)"

Bully13
07-06-2018, 02:18 PM
Yea, I just saw the 1 year vs 2 plus he'd get to stay closer to home VS better pitching coaches, chance for Omaha and better sports medicine for rehabbing the wrist. If he goes JUCO, he must be feeling confident and getting advice that the wrist thing is an easy fix that won't take too long to be at 100%.