PDA

View Full Version : Throwback Topic

Ifyouonlyknew
07-02-2018, 08:21 AM
Since it's the summer time & it's sort of dead. I decided to bring up a topic that was hot a few months back. A'ja Wilson. There was a lot of talk that Wilson was just good because the SEC refs let her bully everyone & didn't call fouls. Those refs must have all got promotions to the WNBA. She's avg 20.1ppg 8.7rpg 1.4bpg. She's going to be an All Star & future MVP. This topic really isn't a MSU deal just felt she deserved it after a lot of people on here tried to downplay how good she was. I'm hoping Big T has that type of dominating year this season that A'ja had last season.

Dawg2003
07-02-2018, 08:36 AM
The refs don’t favor certain teams or players. I always thought that was a BS excuse in 99% of cases. We can say the refs are inconsistent in what they call, but I’ve never seen them favor a player or team. A’ja Wilson is just damn good. She’s better than Teaira. T is a one trick pony and a true center. Don’t get me wrong; she’s very good. She could be in contention for player of the year next year because she regularly gets double doubles. But she’s slow, and she needs to develop a jump shot like Wilson. Wilson’s footwork was also phenomenal, and she is more versatile by far.

msstatelp1
07-02-2018, 08:39 AM
Since it's the summer time & it's sort of dead. I decided to bring up a topic that was hot a few months back. A'ja Wilson. There was a lot of talk that Wilson was just good because the SEC refs let her bully everyone & didn't call fouls. Those refs must have all got promotions to the WNBA. She's avg 20.1ppg 8.7rpg 1.4bpg. She's going to be an All Star & future MVP. This topic really isn't a MSU deal just felt she deserved it after a lot of people on here tried to downplay how good she was. I'm hoping Big T has that type of dominating year this season that A'ja had last season.

I don't think anyone doubted her ability but she got the benefit more often than not when fouls were called. She could truck an opponent and every ref on the floor just happened to be looking the other way. It's not just her, every great player had this advantage. Jordan, Bryant, James, all of them get away with it because of who they are. You saw how Staley reacted the one game Wilson fouled out. She was pissed that the refs would call 5 fouls on Wilson.

NWADAWG
07-02-2018, 09:09 AM
I've obviously never tried to ref a game at this level. But I can tell you, even with kids, the player with the greater athletic ability will get more calls than not. You can't see everything on the floor at once. So players that are really smooth with body control and have good footwork look like they were "right" most of the time. Players who are more robotic or awkward in their motions look like they are fouling or traveling or something every time they move.

Tbonewannabe
07-02-2018, 09:22 AM
I don't think anyone doubted her ability but she got the benefit more often than not when fouls were called. She could truck an opponent and every ref on the floor just happened to be looking the other way. It's not just her, every great player had this advantage. Jordan, Bryant, James, all of them get away with it because of who they are. You saw how Staley reacted the one game Wilson fouled out. She was pissed that the refs would call 5 fouls on Wilson.

All of those guys have ways to push off or hook a player to give them an advantage that doesn't look obvious. Wilson was similar in having moves that looked smooth unless you paid attention to what she was actually doing. I read an article once talking about someone that was a great rebounder, I think it was Rodman. It talked about how he was great at stepping on the other guys feet to give him an advantage. The great ones typically find a way to get an advantage in whatever way possible.

Jordan and Kobe had a push off move that looked very smooth so it wasn't ever called.

Tbonewannabe
07-02-2018, 09:23 AM
A'Ja is just a phenomenal talent but VV is now showing out in the WNBA. She had 27 points last night and had 22 the night before. She is figuring it out and I think she will be the best player on Indiana really soon.

Liverpooldawg
07-02-2018, 09:31 AM

Yep. I'll have to admit she is doing better than I thought. Then again, she may STILL be getting all the calls. I wouldn't know, I could care less about pro basketball. I don't watch it, men's or women's.

Ari Gold
07-02-2018, 10:06 AM
Big time players get the benefit of the doubt when it comes to officiating, but it didn’t matter in her case.
Wilson was a freak and still is a freak. Yeah she prob got her share of calls and got away with some but it had zero baring on her dominance as a player.

confucius say
07-02-2018, 01:22 PM
Vivians shooting splits are crazy good. If the stats I saw were right, she's over 40 percent from the floor and three point line and 96 percent from the stripe.

mstatefan91
07-02-2018, 01:32 PM
Good players get good calls at every single level...

That doesn't take away from her.. it just adds.. she's very very good