PDA

View Full Version : Offensive touches

Walkerhill
06-30-2018, 09:53 AM
One of the recent articles on Fitz noted Moorhead and staff make a list of the top 5 offensive players they want to get touches. I assume they go forward and game plan off of that decision.

Who do you forecast makes that list? What 2-3 players are currently outside but could push into that group or step up in case of injury?

Outside of Fitz, is there very much separation between the top 5 and backups on the current offensive roster? At Fordham and Penn State, those top 5 got a heavy portion of touches. But, on our roster, it seems like at rb, wr, and te there is not a distinct top tier. Does that mean Moorhead will spread touches around more, at least early in the season, searching for the top 5?

preachermatt83
06-30-2018, 11:56 AM
Filtz
Atrain
Kylin
Austin w
Whop

Nipping at their hills
K Thompson
Guidry

Pollodawg
06-30-2018, 12:01 PM
Fitz
Areis
Hill
Williams
Whop

Are we sure Guidry will even be here this Fall? Hasn’t he already said he was taking a break, or did he back off from that?

Ifyouonlyknew
06-30-2018, 12:03 PM
Fitz
Aeris
Kylin
Guidry
Mixon

bostondawg
06-30-2018, 12:06 PM
Fitz
Aeris
Kylin
Guidry
Mixon

This is the correct list.

Dolphus Raymond
06-30-2018, 12:27 PM
Really hoping to see K Hill emerge as the dominant back this year. Williams and Hill are a hell of a one-two punch.

confucius say
06-30-2018, 12:31 PM
Fitz
Kylin
A Train
Guidry
Green (or some TE)

Mixon
Austin Williams

BuckyIsAB****
06-30-2018, 12:44 PM
Fitz
Aeris
Kylin
Guidry
Williams

Throw in Whop, Thomas, Dear, Mixon, Green, Johnson, and all of a sudden our skill group doesnt look so bad. (it never really was)

CadaverDawg
06-30-2018, 01:47 PM
Fitz
Aeris
Kylin
Guidry
Mixon

I'm thinking this one. A healthy Mixon is going to show out in this offense I think.

IYOK, if you had to bet on who has more catches, yards, and TD's this year between Guidry and Whop, would it be Guidry in a landslide, or close? Do you feel like the light switch is on and we can expect a big year from Guidry?

CadaverDawg
06-30-2018, 01:50 PM
I like Williams and think he will have a really good career, but I see him as more of a possession guy year 1. Let's not forget we've seen guys have big spring games before, that didn't get nearly the opportunities come real games. I hope Williams, Guidry, and Whop are all studs year one though. I just wonder if Williams is getting a little bit too overhyped based on his spring game.

Walkerhill
06-30-2018, 02:11 PM
Fitz
Aeris
Kylin
Guidry
Mixon

This departs a little from the template Joo has used, no? A TE has been o. That top 5 other places. And he has always used a feature back a a tandem.

Would this mean more 2 back sets or potentially flexing one of those guys into a pass route as an h-back or into the wheel route in the past?

If a TE was to push into a top 5 touches laptop, which one would be most likely?

BuckyIsAB****
06-30-2018, 02:11 PM
I like Williams and think he will have a really good career, but I see him as more of a possession guy year 1. Let's not forget we've seen guys have big spring games before, that didn't get nearly the opportunities come real games. I hope Williams, Guidry, and Whop are all studs year one though. I just wonder if Williams is getting a little bit too overhyped based on his spring game.

Take it for what its worth but he was by far better than Couch, Todd, Mitchell all spring long. Unless something drastic happens (like moorhead pulling a mullen and playing older kids) Williams will be a part of the offense come september

BuckyIsAB****
06-30-2018, 02:12 PM
This departs a little from the template Joo has used, no? A TE has been o. That top 5 other places. And he has always used a feature back a a tandem.

Would this mean more 2 back sets or potentially flexing one of those guys into a pass route as an h-back or into the wheel route in the past?

If a TE was to push into a top 5 touches laptop, which one would be most likely?

Moorhead will likely play Aeris and Kylin at the same time, and he will play Thompson and Fitzgerald at the same time. He might get really crazy and play all 4 haha.

Farrod Green would be the only TE to crack the top 5 but Justin Johnson is a former WR he aint bad

DawgFromOxford
06-30-2018, 02:45 PM
Does Dear just not have the complete skill set to be a possible mention? I know he's been forgotten about because of his injuries, but he was electric with the ball in his hands pre-injury.

CadaverDawg
06-30-2018, 03:07 PM
Take it for what its worth but he was by far better than Couch, Todd, Mitchell all spring long. Unless something drastic happens (like moorhead pulling a mullen and playing older kids) Williams will be a part of the offense come september

Fully expect him to be a part of the offense, but we're talking "top 5 in touches", and I just don't know if I see him as that yet. I just want my top 5 touch guys to be homerun threats, and I see him as more of a move the chains reliable WR...not necessarily a game breaker. I may be wrong though.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-30-2018, 03:10 PM
I'm thinking this one. A healthy Mixon is going to show out in this offense I think.

IYOK, if you had to bet on who has more catches, yards, and TD's this year between Guidry and Whop, would it be Guidry in a landslide, or close? Do you feel like the light switch is on and we can expect a big year from Guidry?

I think Guidry by a pretty solid amount.

BuckyIsAB****
06-30-2018, 06:21 PM
Fully expect him to be a part of the offense, but we're talking "top 5 in touches", and I just don't know if I see him as that yet. I just want my top 5 touch guys to be homerun threats, and I see him as more of a move the chains reliable WR...not necessarily a game breaker. I may be wrong though.

Im just not sold on Guidry. Hoping he proves me wrong but he hasnt lived up to the hype so far

bulldawg28
06-30-2018, 07:04 PM
Fitz
Mixon
TE?
Hill
Guidry or Williams

Ari Gold
06-30-2018, 08:03 PM
Im just not sold on Guidry. Hoping he proves me wrong but he hasnt lived up to the hype so far

Hasn’t lived up to the hype?? He is projected to be our #1 WR going into the season
What else did you want from him?

Homedawg
06-30-2018, 08:12 PM
I think Guidry by a pretty solid amount.

Jm says he looks like an nfl receiver.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-30-2018, 08:16 PM
Jm says he looks like an nfl receiver.

He definitely does. If he's healthy & his mind is right he's no doubt a NFL guy. I think no one will remember the spring or early summer when the season starts.

BuckyIsAB****
06-30-2018, 08:56 PM
Hasn?t lived up to the hype?? He is projected to be our #1 WR going into the season
What else did you want from him?

If you can project a kid to be our best WR and he hasnt taken a live snap even in spring ball then more power to you

Walkerhill
06-30-2018, 09:16 PM
Mine:
Fitz
A-Train
Mixon
Whop
Green

Next up:
Kylin Hill (could pull touches from A-Train or Green)
Guidry (could move past Whop but will have to match his work ethic and attitude)
Williams or Thomas (could move into a possession receiver and red zone threat role)
Dear, Todd (wild cards at this point in terms of fitting offense and getting pt)

It will be interesting to see how closely JMo adheres to a 5 man top tier. Outside of Fitz there is not a clear distinction between 2 and 8 or even 10.

I think he picks 5 guys and goes with it to help prepare guys for peak performance from a mental perspective. Preparing a core group for predictable and consistent fixed roles seems like a particular emphasis. Sort of a similar attitude about all skill positions that many folks take about quarterbacks - if you got two then you got none. Could make some of these battles very interesting early in camp.

Lord McBuckethead
06-30-2018, 09:35 PM
Fitz
Areis
Hill
Williams
Whop

Are we sure Guidry will even be here this Fall? Hasn?t he already said he was taking a break, or did he back off from that?

For the last time, Guidry is good and will ball.

Walkerhill
06-30-2018, 09:59 PM
For the last time, Guidry is good and will ball.

I sincerely hope he kills it. His high end ceiling in this offense is a one-and-done 1st round nfl pick.

At the same time, I don’t begrudge anyone a wait and see attitude based on the very small sample size at the juco level, injury absence during spring ball, and the twitter drama.

Cases like this are kind of the point of this thread. If your role is not clear by game 3, it seems like your role is niche player/backup. So we are talking somewhere between All-American and afterthought. Performance deltas do not get any bigger than that.

The insiders seem to think he is on the bus and putting himself in a good position to win a spot, which would be awesome. Fitz deserves a high end wr corps this year to close out his career by showing what he can do passing.

Ari Gold
07-01-2018, 07:22 AM
If you can project a kid to be our best WR and he hasnt taken a live snap even in spring ball then more power to you

Exacatly... you are saying he hasn’t lived up to the the hype yet and he hasn’t even played one snap.
Guidry is the most talented WR on our roster.
He would have started for us last year.

All I said is he is our projected #1 WR going into the season. Is anyone going to argue that?? No .
Even without the off the field issues he wasn’t going to take any live snaps in the spring due to his injury
And btw it’s spring ball... everyone chill about what did or didn’t happen in the spring.

confucius say
07-01-2018, 08:56 AM
If Guidry is really an NFL guy and a legit number 1 SEC receiver, and we stay relatively healthy up front, this offense should be 2014 good.

tcdog70
07-01-2018, 09:16 AM
Exacatly... you are saying he hasn’t lived up to the the hype yet and he hasn’t even played one snap.
Guidry is the most talented WR on our roster.
He would have started for us last year.

All I said is he is our projected #1 WR going into the season. Is anyone going to argue that?? No .
Even without the off the field issues he wasn’t going to take any live snaps in the spring due to his injury
And btw it’s spring ball... everyone chill about what did or didn’t happen in the spring.

So far he is underwhelming. His JUCO career was so-so. He is a head case. I hope your adulation is rewarded.

msbulldog
07-01-2018, 09:38 AM
So far he is underwhelming. His JUCO career was so-so. He is a head case. I hope your adulation is rewarded.

His Hinds Juco QB was so-so, so so-so passing #'s. Gold is right, he can make himself a whole lot of money this season and I am sure that Luke Getsy, who came to us from the Green Bay Packers will make sure that he knows that.

somebodyshotmypaw
07-01-2018, 09:45 AM
Fitz
Mixon
TE?
Hill
Guidry or Williams

If both Mixon and one of the tight ends touches the ball more than either Kylin Hill or Aeris Williams, then it could be a long miserable year for MSU football.

confucius say
07-01-2018, 09:51 AM
Interesting that every list in the thread has Fitz at the top. Not saying that's wrong, but from reading/listening I'm not sure his legs will be used near as much as in the past (not sure if we are counting pass attempts as touches).

Ari Gold
07-01-2018, 10:11 AM
Fitz
Aeris
Kylin
Guidry
Mixon

Looks like IYOK has a case of Guidry Adulation as well.
This is the correct list
And I agree if Mixon stays healthy he will have a big year

msstate7
07-01-2018, 10:16 AM
Whoever the 1st string TE (I assume green) is, I would bet on him having a big year. Penn state had a great one, but Moorhead used him a lot. Gesicki (not saying green or anyone we have is on his level) was 2nd on team in catches in 2016 and 1st in 2017

sleepy dawg
07-01-2018, 10:46 AM
Since "Whop" is in everybody's list.... who is that again?

bulldawg28
07-01-2018, 11:10 AM
If Guidry is really an NFL guy and a legit number 1 SEC receiver, and we stay relatively healthy up front, this offense should be 2014 good.

We need to be better than 2014.

sleepy dawg
07-01-2018, 11:31 AM

Not if we don't play 1A/1B defense all year. We had all the tools that year to be better than we were.

Ari Gold
07-01-2018, 11:36 AM

This team is much better than 2014, will we have the same results 10-2 ranked and #1 in the country ??? maybe not but the talent level is better.
Just watch the NFL draft in April . Lots of maroon and white names will be called.

confucius say
07-01-2018, 01:00 PM

Offensively? No we don't

confucius say
07-01-2018, 01:01 PM
This team is much better than 2014, will we have the same results 10-2 ranked and #1 in the country ??? maybe not but the talent level is better.
Just watch the NFL draft in April . Lots of maroon and white names will be called.

This team should be better defensively than 2014.

bulldawg28
07-01-2018, 03:24 PM

I'm not talking about the draft I'm addesing the results. We tanked at the end of the year.

bulldawg28
07-01-2018, 03:25 PM
Offensively? No we don't

We lost our last 3 of 4. That's not good enough.

bulldawg28
07-01-2018, 03:27 PM
Not if we don't play 1A/1B defense all year. We had all the tools that year to be better than we were.

Regardless of how you cut it 2014 results were not good enough.

sleepy dawg
07-01-2018, 03:56 PM
Regardless of how you cut it 2014 results were not good enough.

I agree with you on that. That was not clear on your original post to me. Play calling at times and improper use of personnel cost us.

HoopsDawg
07-01-2018, 04:32 PM
Fitz
Kylin
A Train
Guidry
Green (or some TE)

Mixon
Austin Williams

You want our TE touching the ball more than Mixon? I want Mixon getting as many touches as possible. He is one of our few playmakers.

HoopsDawg
07-01-2018, 04:35 PM
Moorhead will likely play Aeris and Kylin at the same time, and he will play Thompson and Fitzgerald at the same time. He might get really crazy and play all 4 haha.

Farrod Green would be the only TE to crack the top 5 but Justin Johnson is a former WR he aint bad

Doubt we play Aeris and Kylin at the same time much if at all. Moorehead is a 1 back guy. Why would we play thompson and Fitz at the same time? Makes no sense. I'm hoping moorhead can use this new rule to get Key a redshirt year back. 4 games for him, 4 games for Mayden to get experience, and at least 4 games where Fitz is the only QB.

thf24
07-01-2018, 05:03 PM
Why would we play thompson and Fitz at the same time? Makes no sense.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/6/14/17458294/penn-state-tommy-stevens-trace-mcsorley-two-quarterbacks-offense

Apparently Moorhead ran those type of plays quite a bit at Penn State, much more often than something you'd call a trick play or gimmick. I have a feeling we won't see that as much here though.

bulldawg28
07-01-2018, 05:30 PM
I agree with you on that. That was not clear on your original post to me. Play calling at times and improper use of personnel cost us.

Indeed.

SmokeyDawg
07-01-2018, 06:40 PM
Doubt we play Aeris and Kylin at the same time much if at all. Moorehead is a 1 back guy. Why would we play thompson and Fitz at the same time? Makes no sense. I'm hoping moorhead can use this new rule to get Key a redshirt year back. 4 games for him, 4 games for Mayden to get experience, and at least 4 games where Fitz is the only QB.

He has used 2 running backs on the field. Usually one motioning from the slot or something similar. He has also done the same with 2 dual threat qb's. It's different wrinkles based on what the defense is doing. Not sure why you would do that with Key. If he's as good as we think he his, he's not going to stay for 5 years anyway. He'll have 2 years to lead the program and by then we should have another one or two ready to take the reigns.

tcdog70
07-01-2018, 07:48 PM
Looks like IYOK has a case of Guidry Adulation as well.
This is the correct list
And I agree if Mixon stays healthy he will have a big year

Austin, will have more catches that Guidry when the year is over

Walkerhill
07-01-2018, 08:06 PM
Interesting that every list in the thread has Fitz at the top. Not saying that's wrong, but from reading/listening I'm not sure his legs will be used near as much as in the past (not sure if we are counting pass attempts as touches).

One of the recent articles touched on this as well. McSorley had ~15 planned runs per game, including RPOs. The article indicated the plan for Fitz is 20 planner runs including RPOs. That would be roughly equivalent to last years touches.

I would imagine less will be up read option in between the tackles and also less will be in situations where an upcoming qb sneak or run is obvious. Mullen runs his qbs into the teeth of the defense when they know it is coming a lot, all the way back to Tebow. I thought he was going to literally kill Relf one season.

confucius say
07-01-2018, 08:16 PM
You want our TE touching the ball more than Mixon? I want Mixon getting as many touches as possible. He is one of our few playmakers.

I didn't say that's what I wanted. I was projecting what would happen based on JoMo's past use of the TE position.

confucius say
07-01-2018, 08:23 PM
We lost our last 3 of 4. That's not good enough.

Not bc of the offense.

Historic numbers vs Ga Tech

17 on the road against the number 1 defense in the country in OM with a missed field goal and going for it inside their 5 at the end (normally would be another field goal). OM had been shutout the week before and scored 3 their next game. Our defense cost us that game.

And 20 on the road against a top 5 defense in Bama. A Bama that was one dimensional with no qb and scored 26 on us.

If we get 2014 production offensively with what should be a dominant defense, we will be fine. As potent as this 2018 offense can be, our defense is supposed to be the better unit and carry us.

bulldawg28
07-01-2018, 09:14 PM
Not bc of the offense.

Historic numbers vs Ga Tech

17 on the road against the number 1 defense in the country in OM with a missed field goal and going for it inside their 5 at the end (normally would be another field goal). OM had been shutout the week before and scored 3 their next game. Our defense cost us that game.

And 20 on the road against a top 5 defense in Bama. A Bama that was one dimensional with no qb and scored 26 on us.

If we get 2014 production offensively with what should be a dominant defense, we will be fine. As potent as this 2018 offense can be, our defense is supposed to be the better unit and carry us.

Even with a good defensive performance we still lose those games. We didn't start scoring on Bama until late 2nd half. Ole Miss kicked our teeth on defense and GT did the same. Again, 2014 offense wasn't good enough. They'll be other defenses that will be just as good as 2014 opponents. Again, it's not good enough.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-01-2018, 09:20 PM
Austin, will have more catches that Guidry when the year is over

Well Austin is going to have a helluva year.

tcdog70
07-01-2018, 09:48 PM
Well Austin is going to have a helluva year.

See, that wasn't so hard. Way to come on board.

confucius say
07-01-2018, 10:03 PM
Even with a good defensive performance we still lose those games. We didn't start scoring on Bama until late 2nd half. Ole Miss kicked our teeth on defense and GT did the same. Again, 2014 offense wasn't good enough. They'll be other defenses that will be just as good as 2014 opponents. Again, it's not good enough.

Bama was 19-13 with 14:48 left and we couldn't get off the field defensively on three 3rd and 10's the next drive. We went up and down the field the whole second half on that Bama D. I do agree Mullen's nuts shrunk the first half.

Are you saying GT's defense kicked our teeth in? Surely not. And if you're saying GT's offense kicked our teeth in then I agree, but that has nothing to do with our offense.

bulldawg28
07-02-2018, 01:51 PM
Bama was 19-13 with 14:48 left and we couldn't get off the field defensively on three 3rd and 10's the next drive. We went up and down the field the whole second half on that Bama D. I do agree Mullen's nuts shrunk the first half.

Are you saying GT's defense kicked our teeth in? Surely not. And if you're saying GT's offense kicked our teeth in then I agree, but that has nothing to do with our offense.

The defense couldn't get off the field because the offense gave them no breather. Against GT's poor defense we didn't have a 100 yard rusher. Dak's passing yards are misleading being we had to throw to gain any yards. Again, Ole miss kicked our teeth in defensively.

BrunswickDawg
07-02-2018, 03:00 PM
The defense couldn't get off the field because the offense gave them no breather. Against GT's poor defense we didn't have a 100 yard rusher. Dak's passing yards are misleading being we had to throw to gain any yards. Again, Ole miss kicked our teeth in defensively.

GT was #81 in Total Defense that year. We were #86.

BuckyIsAB****
07-02-2018, 04:02 PM

Moorhead played both of those QBs at Penn St. He does a lot of creative stuff. Thats kinda his thing, getting leverage and numbers. Getting his best players on the field regardless who they are.

I bet you we have a package with Fitz at QB and Key lined up next to him or opposite. Worst case it gives the defense something else to prepare for and both of them can throw and run.

I trust him regardless. He is a proven offensive mind

BuckyIsAB****
07-02-2018, 04:06 PM

When we lost to bama in 14 Mullen did his traditonal shut it down coast till the end find the first bus out routine.

Collins had had enough of his shit by the Egg Bowl and was on cruise control as well. Thats why 14 ended like it did. Again it all comes back to Danny 2 gloves

bulldawg28
07-02-2018, 05:54 PM
When we lost to bama in 14 Mullen did his traditonal shut it down coast till the end find the first bus out routine.

Collins had had enough of his shit by the Egg Bowl and was on cruise control as well. Thats why 14 ended like it did. Again it all comes back to Danny 2 gloves

I agree Mullen did his normal. However, the team didn't have the mentality to win any of those games. They played timid against Bama, didn't match blackbear U's intensity, and didn't play inspired against GT. Players have to take it up a notch against better or equal competition.

BuckyIsAB****
07-02-2018, 07:11 PM
I agree Mullen did his normal. However, the team didn't have the mentality to win any of those games. They played timid against Bama, didn't match blackbear U's intensity, and didn't play inspired against GT. Players have to take it up a notch against better or equal competition.

We didnt tackle very well against OM and I aint mad at them for getting ran over vs GT. We had no DC, which again falls on 2 gloves