PDA

View Full Version : Mississippi State Night at Sun Trust Park: Atlanta vs Colorado

KB21
06-29-2018, 05:36 PM
https://www.mlb.com/braves/tickets/specials/mississippi-state-university

I just placed my order. You get good seats, and you get this co branded hat:

https://securea.mlb.com/assets/images/4/8/8/281074488/cuts/568x320/cut.jpg

FriarsPoint
06-29-2018, 06:56 PM
Please excuse my ignorance as I have not lived in Mississippi for almost 3 decades and love the Cardinals. I did do a fair amount of business with SunTrust until recently, where is SunTrust Park?

HereComesTheSpiral
06-29-2018, 06:59 PM
Please excuse my ignorance as I have not lived in Mississippi for almost 3 decades and love the Cardinals. I did do a fair amount of business with SunTrust until recently, where is SunTrust Park?

Atlanta

FriarsPoint
06-29-2018, 07:02 PM
Atlanta

That explains it. Not a fan of the team or town. Mighty nice of them though. Go Braves, for tonight.

Tbonewannabe
06-29-2018, 07:57 PM
Also the MSU scholarship fund gets 3
$3 for every ticket bought through the MSU ticket package. I bought my wife and I tickets also.

Dawg61
06-29-2018, 08:02 PM
That's a kick ass deal. So nice of them to not do the traditional Braves logo too which looks very similar to Alabama's logo.

Dawghouse
06-29-2018, 08:21 PM
Awesome cap, was going to buy the $22 package just to get the hat but looks like you have to actually show up to get the hat since the only deliver options for the tickets is the mobile app.

RocketDawg
06-29-2018, 08:28 PM
That's a kick ass deal. So nice of them to not do the traditional Braves logo too which looks very similar to Alabama's logo.

Yes it does, and so does Arkansas's.

I was wondering about the "a" on the cap. Is that a new look or a special one just for this cap? I've never seen it before.

KB21
06-29-2018, 08:31 PM

I was wondering about the "a" on the cap. Is that a new look or a special one just for this cap? I've never seen it before.

It's based off their hats from the '70s.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ae/66/48/ae664884e792655f0ca07d3208b89883.jpg

shoeless joe
06-29-2018, 08:32 PM

It's the one they used in 74 when Aaron broke the record. Not sure how many years it was the official logo but it's showed back up periodically since

RocketDawg
06-29-2018, 08:32 PM
Also the MSU scholarship fund gets 3
$3 for every ticket bought through the MSU ticket package. I bought my wife and I tickets also.

Don't forget to buy a parking pass. I think you need to pre-purchase.

RocketDawg
06-29-2018, 08:36 PM

OK, thanks. We used to go to Braves games fairly regularly when Murph was there and I don't remember it looking like that. Shows how observant I am. :)

We were at what I think was the longest game in MLB history. It was on July 4, and there was supposed to be fireworks and a Beach Boys concert afterward. It went something like 26 innings. We left early after it was obvious the post-game event were going to be either canceled or woul happen in the very wee hours, listened to the game on the way home and it was still going when we got back to Huntsville.

shoeless joe
06-29-2018, 08:38 PM
OK, thanks. We used to go to Braves games fairly regularly when Murph was there and I don't remember it looking like that. Shows how observant I am. :)

We were at what I think was the longest game in MLB history. It was on July 4, and there was supposed to be fireworks and a Beach Boys concert afterward. It went something like 26 innings. We left early after it was obvious the post-game event were going to be either canceled or woul happen in the very wee hours, listened to the game on the way home and it was still going when we got back to Huntsville.

That was the rick camp homer game. If I'm not mistaken it ended at 4am and they still shot off the fireworks. Braves lost.

KB21
06-29-2018, 08:40 PM

That color scheme was before my time. This was the color scheme when I first started watching the Braves:

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/947538168043118592/tiq6yuZg_400x400.jpg

North Carolina wore all blue that looked like this in the supers against Stetson. They were sharp!

The Braves went to the current color scheme around 1987 or so:

https://www.mormonwiki.com/wiki/images/0/03/Dale_Murphy_mormon.jpg

RocketDawg
06-29-2018, 08:41 PM
The Braves in those days were always giving away things to fans to encourage them to come, which at the time might not be too many since they didn't win many games. One night they gave away cylindrical plastic coolers, that when collapsed were more like a disc. Everybody in the stadium turned them into noise makers by slapping them together (I guess sort of an early version of "thunder sticks"). They probably never had those for giveaways again.

KB21
06-29-2018, 08:41 PM
BTW, Dale Murphy is my favorite ball player of all time.

RocketDawg
06-29-2018, 08:45 PM
That was the rick camp homer game. If I'm not mistaken it ended at 4am and they still shot off the fireworks. Braves lost.

I thought they canceled the fireworks, but they may have gone on as scheduled. I guess it's hard, and maybe dangerous, to dismantle large fireworks setups. They definitely canceled the Beach Boys concert.

I think we got home around 2 a.m. Central so yeah, the game would have gone on another hour after we got home. It was hot as blazes that game too.

RocketDawg
06-29-2018, 08:46 PM
BTW, Dale Murphy is my favorite ball player of all time.

Without a doubt. And he was very kid-friendly, and a very nice guy to the fans. That's one reason he was so well liked.

RocketDawg
06-29-2018, 08:48 PM

Just noticed that his baseball card has his posititon as Catcher. He was always in the outfield as long as I knew about him. He looks very young on that card ... must have been when he first was in the majors. Murph was, and I guess still is, a devout Mormon.

shoeless joe
06-29-2018, 08:53 PM
I thought they canceled the fireworks, but they may have gone on as scheduled. I guess it's hard, and maybe dangerous, to dismantle large fireworks setups. They definitely canceled the Beach Boys concert.

I think we got home around 2 a.m. Central so yeah, the game would have gone on another hour after we got home. It was hot as blazes that game too.

https://www.si.com/mlb/strike-zone/2013/04/26/rick-camp-game-mets-braves-1985-atlanta

Dawg61
06-29-2018, 09:13 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/947538168043118592/tiq6yuZg_400x400.jpg

https://media.giphy.com/media/sPseIi6MECImI/giphy.gif

KB21
06-29-2018, 09:13 PM
Just noticed that his baseball card has his posititon as Catcher. He was always in the outfield as long as I knew about him. He looks very young on that card ... must have been when he first was in the majors. Murph was, and I guess still is, a devout Mormon.

Yeah. He came up as a catcher. In 1978, they moved him to 1B, and then he was moved to the OF. Started in CF for a long time and then finished in RF.

As a catcher, he would throw the ball into CF when trying to gun down a runner. He lead the NL in errors as a 1B and became a GG winner in the OF.

sleepy dawg
06-29-2018, 10:09 PM
That's cool, and a bit weird. Is doing things like this normal for a team a couple of states over?

KB21
06-29-2018, 10:23 PM
That's cool, and a bit weird. Is doing things like this normal for a team a couple of states over?

Not that I know of. The Braves are doing it for Mississippi State, Auburn, Alabama, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Clemson, Georgia, Georgia Tech, and Florida State.

shoeless joe
06-29-2018, 10:28 PM

The organization considers Mississippi "braves country". Most of the state gets the games on tv and the AA team is here. But I agree it struck me as odd at first as well. Have the astros ever had an LSU day?

Dawg61
06-29-2018, 11:40 PM
I think words gotten around the Braves organization we have a poster here that has 17k posts dedicated to Braves updates.

Turfdawg67
06-30-2018, 01:16 AM
I was there for a game recently (sporting a Braves shirt and an MSU hat), and noticed an abundance of Clemson paraphernalia. Didn't understandstand it all... now I get it! Great job by the Braves, especially by including MSU! I'll be there for that sweet hat!

KB21
06-30-2018, 08:12 AM
The organization considers Mississippi "braves country". Most of the state gets the games on tv and the AA team is here. But I agree it struck me as odd at first as well. Have the astros ever had an LSU day?

Which is interesting since MSU is the only school from Mississippi that they are doing this with. There is no Ole Miss or Southern Miss day.

Tbonewannabe
06-30-2018, 09:50 AM
Which is interesting since MSU is the only school from Mississippi that they are doing this with. There is no Ole Miss or Southern Miss day.

Makes sense since we are a baseball school and the others just pretend to care.

Turfdawg67
06-30-2018, 10:07 PM
Booked my tickets! Gravedigger, y'all should come.

Rejlector84sports
06-30-2018, 10:41 PM
where is SunTrust Park?

Actually Sun Trust Park is northwest of Atlanta in Cobb County, just to the northeast of where I-285 crosses I-75. You can go from Starkville to that ballparik and never see downtown.

Tbonewannabe
06-30-2018, 11:45 PM
Actually Sun Trust Park is northwest of Atlanta in Cobb County, just to the northeast of where I-285 crosses I-75. You can go from Starkville to that ballparik and never see downtown.

The Battery is also awesome. A bunch of restaurants and bars all around Suntrust

Steakonastick
07-01-2018, 01:49 PM
We got a group of 4 heading over For Friday and Saturdays game. The battery area is awesome. If you stay at the Omni or doubletree you won’t have to drive anywhere on arrival. Icing on the cake is Jason Isbell is playing a free concert after Saturday’s game.

Cloak
07-01-2018, 02:28 PM
Girlfriend and I will be there

msstate7
07-01-2018, 02:32 PM
We got a group of 4 heading over For Friday and Saturdays game. The battery area is awesome. If you stay at the Omni or doubletree you won’t have to drive anywhere on arrival. Icing on the cake is Jason Isbell is playing a free concert after Saturday’s game.
Stayed at Sheraton suites last year. Plenty close enough to walk.

I also stayed down town and caught Uber last year. This was my preferred method

gravedigger
07-01-2018, 07:54 PM
Booked my tickets! Gravedigger, y'all should come.

Working on the Mrs right now. Wes entering college has....changed our finances a bit.

Gutter Cobreh
08-17-2018, 11:56 AM
Bumping this thread for anyone within driving distance to Atlanta and has the time. Tonight we invade SunTrust...