PDA

View Full Version : My impressions of baseball scrimmage:

MsStateBaseball
10-11-2013, 09:04 PM
I wasn't there as a disclaimer. The established players know what to do. Rea and Bradford are cogs in the offense. Awesome job by Nibblett giving us info. A video recap w Cohen w each practice is invaluable. The tweets from the school and others in attendance is great too. To me hitters are ahead of pitchers until they get in pitching shape. As I expected offense will be improved over last year.

MsStateBaseball
10-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Also, again the coaches did superd job of recruiting. Derrick Armstrong to me last year was good now he is even better. Can you get better w Armstrong, Robson, Henderson and Bradford? Excellent OF. Garner and Walker will be leading candidates in C spot. Seth Heck is a baller. You can tell he is a baseball player w out even seeing him. Going to be an exciting fall .

godlluB
10-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Garner looked solid tonight. He was confident, and often barked out instructions to the infielders between batters. I really got the vibe that he intends not only to start, but to be a team leader.

CadaverDawg
10-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Garner looked solid tonight. He was confident, and often barked out instructions to the infielders between batters. I really got the vibe that he intends not only to start, but to be a team leader.

I like to hear that

Will James
10-11-2013, 09:25 PM
CT was sporting a modified Craig Counsell stance/swing at times. High leg kick, hands over head. Don't know what to think of that.

MsStateBaseball
10-11-2013, 09:38 PM
Bradford May wanted to have been drafted last year and is upset. When you play ball like he has for years you want to play pro for a few years. He should play pro.

bully99
10-11-2013, 10:30 PM
Somebody tweeted during the scrimmage Friday that one of the catchers (Collins I Think) was removed during the middle of an inning because he didn't hustle after a passed ball.

Thick
10-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Bradford May wanted to have been drafted last year and is upset. When you play ball like he has for years you want to play pro for a few years. He should play pro.

He was offered a free agent contract last year. He met with Cohen to discuss his intentions. Cohen told him if the season began today, that he would play CF on Friday, DH on Saturday, and be the Sunday starter. He said a lot can change between now and next season though, and he decided to stay. That comes straight from CT.

Will James
10-11-2013, 10:54 PM
and be the Sunday starter.

Similar to my "8th inning guy" starting games and going 2 innings. He then would take his spot in CF. Glad to see Cohen being progressive on this.

Homedawg
10-12-2013, 10:39 AM
Similar to my "8th inning guy" starting games and going 2 innings. He then would take his spot in CF. Glad to see Cohen being progressive on this.

If he's the starter and is replaced, he wouldn't go to cf unless u want to lose your dh. He can be the dh and the pitcher and remain in the game as dh if he comes out.

Will James
10-12-2013, 10:43 AM
If he's the starter and is replaced, he wouldn't go to cf unless u want to lose your dh. He can be the dh and the pitcher and remain in the game as dh if he comes out.

I'd prefer CT not start because he's a lefty and we might need that later in the game.

But, could he theoretically start in CF, let a scrub throw one pitch, then come in to pitch for 2 innings. Followed by a move back to CF? CT switch after one pitch. Not real sure and didn't think it out just rambling.

BLC
10-12-2013, 10:49 AM
Collins was pulled because of an injury. He injured his hip flexor a little over a week ago. He tried to play yesterday, including catching, but wasn't able to move well. The coaches shut him down. He'll be out the remainder of the weekend. Hopefully, he'll be back next weekend, but my guess is they'll wait until he's close to 100%.

msstate7
10-12-2013, 10:58 AM
CT was sporting a modified Craig Counsell stance/swing at times. High leg kick, hands over head. Don't know what to think of that.

What were the results? More popups? Please tell me he's hitting more balls on a line or on the ground. Speed means nothing when you pop up

Will James
10-12-2013, 11:14 AM
What were the results? More popups? Please tell me he's hitting more balls on a line or on the ground. Speed means nothing when you pop up

2-3 2 singles. one on the ground, one line drive.

msstate7
10-12-2013, 11:20 AM
2-3 2 singles. one on the ground, one line drive.

Good deal.

messageboardsuperhero
10-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Where was Robson? Does he have the flu?

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Somebody tweeted during the scrimmage Friday that one of the catchers (Collins I Think) was removed during the middle of an inning because he didn't hustle after a passed ball.
He was trying to play through a hip injury tweaked it again.

bully99
10-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Guess it doesn't surprise me about the bad info on Collins. There was a lot of bad stuff being tweeted during the scrimmage. Wrong scores,players and other mistakes.

WeWonItAll(Most)
10-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Guess it doesn't surprise me about the bad info on Collins. There was a lot of bad stuff being tweeted during the scrimmage. Wrong scores,players and other mistakes.

If you didn't hear the coach asking him if he was alright and him saying no, then it would have definitely appeared that they took him out for not hussling. There was a pass ball and he walked to get it, then went out immediately after

Todd4State
10-12-2013, 12:58 PM
I'd prefer CT not start because he's a lefty and we might need that later in the game.

But, could he theoretically start in CF, let a scrub throw one pitch, then come in to pitch for 2 innings. Followed by a move back to CF? CT switch after one pitch. Not real sure and didn't think it out just rambling.

If history is any indicator, CT will start and then we will bring in a RH pitcher, maybe a sidearmer like Cox or Gentry, and then Holder. If Lindgren is coming out of the bullpen, he'll probably be paired with either Bracewell or Fitts starting the game.

Will James
10-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Good deal.

Looks like bad CT today. 0-4 2 popouts in foul territory a K and a weak grounder to first. He's had two foul balls where he got around so far that he was taking aim at fans over on the 1st base line.

Get rid of that stupid leg kick.

dawgoneyall
10-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Left with Garner leaving the biggest impression