PDA

View Full Version : OT: Please let us have a World Cup thread for a bit on this MB

Dawg61
06-28-2018, 09:09 PM
I am picking Argentina v Belgium and Croatia v England in one bracket final four. England v Belgium. Belgium World Cup Champs.

France v Belgium, Croatia v Sweden in my other bracket. Belgium v Sweden. Belgium winning both brackets. Guess I like waffles this year. Going to be some phenomenal matchups from here on.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-28-2018, 10:46 PM
I haven?t gotten to watch as much as I?ve wanted, but I?ve really liked Croatia. It can be hard for National teams to gel, but they play really well as a team and their midfield is incredibly talented.

I would love for Argentina to just say screw it and put all 4 of their world class strikers on the field at the same time.

Dawg61
06-28-2018, 10:50 PM
I haven?t gotten to watch as much as I?ve wanted, but I?ve really liked Croatia. It can be hard for National teams to gel, but they play really well as a team and their midfield is incredibly talented.

I would love for Argentina to just say screw it and put all 4 of their world class strikers on the field at the same time.

Croatia doesn't seem to have any weaknesses. They are sneaky good. I was really impressed with Sweden first vs Germany which they barely lost on a incredible goal in the last minute of stoppage time and then vs Mexico. Sweden dominated Mexico for 95 minutes.

If you have cable you can go to FoxSports.com and watch all the previous games.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-28-2018, 11:11 PM
Croatia doesn't seem to have any weaknesses. They are sneaky good. I was really impressed with Sweden first vs Germany which they barely lost on a incredible goal in the last minute of stoppage time and then vs Mexico. Sweden dominated Mexico for 95 minutes.

If you have cable you can go to FoxSports.com and watch all the previous games.
The final matches for that group were individually pretty good, but together they were incredibly entertaining. When Sweden scored their 2nd and 3rd goals against Mexico I was just waiting for the Germans to rip their hearts out and send them home. The guy calling all the Mexico games was pissing me off, and I was getting a kick out of him having to feign neutrality while Mexico was heading straight for the cliff. I was thoroughly disappointed.

Dawg61
06-28-2018, 11:28 PM
Pretty sure everyone but Mexico fans hate that announcer. They must love him. Chicharrito drives me crazy. He's the biggest flopper ever. On a random note I am very curious to see if Maradona shows up in the stands for Argentina's next match. He was wasted and had to be taken to the hospital after the last match.

BeastMan
06-29-2018, 08:02 AM
Hard to get in to it without the US. I’ll probably watch the finals

Jack Lambert
06-29-2018, 08:23 AM
To be honest I only watch it for the flops. I understand some of them are to get rest and those are the ones that are funny. They are rolling around on the ground with this pain on their face then the next thing they are up running around. I enjoy watching that. I guess I get a kick out of it.

Captain Falcon
06-29-2018, 08:38 AM
It feels like a wide open tournament at this point. No clear front runner like Germany in ?14 or Spain in ?10.

I think the winner will come from France, Belgium, or Brazil. And think whoever wins the Croatia/Spain match in the QF will advance to the Final.

On paper it looks like England might be favored to get to the semis, but they are England so I fully expect them to mess it up.

Bully13
06-29-2018, 09:21 AM
To be honest I only watch it for the flops. I understand some of them are to get rest and those are the ones that are funny. They are rolling around on the ground with this pain on their face then the next thing they are up running around. I enjoy watching that. I guess I get a kick out of it.

I love watching those flops. I laugh my ass off and my wife gets mad at me for that because she's obsessed with World Cup. Even though I'm generally not very interested in it, I still watch some because my wife enjoys it on the big screen and the fans are awesome too.

I think having a World Cup Thread on the MB is a good idea.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-29-2018, 09:29 AM

I always tell people that aren't in to soccer and really just watch it every 4 years when the World Cup rolls around that they are seeing such a poor product in terms of the actual soccer. National teams play together for 2 weeks every few months so the team cohesion and tactics is more similar to an All-star team. The flopping is a lot worse in the WC too because of how much is on the line in each game of the tournament and the lack of tactical cohesion relative to club soccer. It also seems to be cultural and the South Americans always seem to take it to another level. So having a team full of South Americans can make the flopping brutal.

I'm not sure that there's another sporting event in the world that matches the emotional intensity of the World Cup though.

Dawg61
06-29-2018, 09:57 AM
It feels like a wide open tournament at this point. No clear front runner like Germany in ?14 or Spain in ?10.

I think the winner will come from France, Belgium, or Brazil. And think whoever wins the Croatia/Spain match in the QF will advance to the Final.

On paper it looks like England might be favored to get to the semis, but they are England so I fully expect them to mess it up.

England is good. They are fast, athletic and young or at least appear to be young cause I hardly recognize half the squad. The Kane era has begun.

Liverpooldawg
06-29-2018, 10:34 AM
I always tell people that aren't in to soccer and really just watch it every 4 years when the World Cup rolls around that they are seeing such a poor product in terms of the actual soccer. National teams play together for 2 weeks every few months so the team cohesion and tactics is more similar to an All-star team. The flopping is a lot worse in the WC too because of how much is on the line in each game of the tournament and the lack of tactical cohesion relative to club soccer. It also seems to be cultural and the South Americans always seem to take it to another level. So having a team full of South Americans can make the flopping brutal.

I'm not sure that there's another sporting event in the world that matches the emotional intensity of the World Cup though.

International soccer sucks. The club game in the big leagues in Europe is where the best soccer is played. The top 5 or six in England, Real and Barca, Juve, PSG, Munich, and several others would shred most national teams.

Liverpooldawg
06-29-2018, 10:36 AM
England is good. They are fast, athletic and young or at least appear to be young cause I hardly recognize half the squad. The Kane era has begun.

I'd like to see England win it almost as much as us. I don't think it happens. England always flops except on home turf.

Captain Falcon
06-29-2018, 11:35 AM
I'd like to see England win it almost as much as us. I don't think it happens. England always flops except on home turf.

This England team is very likable compared to prior English teams. I am an Arsenal fan so I am not supposed to like Harry Kane, but I really do. Great player and from all indications a really good guy.

I am really intrigued by that Colombia game. Could end up being the best match in the Round of 16.

Leroy Jenkins
06-29-2018, 11:39 AM
I'll allow it as long as all soccer talk is quarantined to this thread and not allowed to contaminate the rest of the board.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-29-2018, 01:03 PM
International soccer sucks. The club game in the big leagues in Europe is where the best soccer is played. The top 5 or six in England, Real and Barca, Juve, PSG, Munich, and several others would shred most national teams.

Without a doubt.

I fear what the World Cup will be like when they expand the field again. Watching teams like Japan and South Korea absolutely park it for 3 straight games was brutal. Adding another 16 teams is going to exacerbate that.

Dawg61
06-29-2018, 03:19 PM
I'll allow it as long as all soccer talk is quarantined to this thread and not allowed to contaminate the rest of the board.

Yup just this thread and the WC only happens every 4 years so you won't have to see this thread on here for very long.

The Federalist Engineer
06-29-2018, 07:48 PM
Even though England sucks, they are due a little run in the World Cup. Losing to Belgium put them on the better bracket. Spain should win the bracket if they keep mental strength.

The other bracket with Port, Argies, "French", Belgians, and Brazil is a true group of death. Any one could win. There is no home team and they all have a world class difference maker or two. Picking Belgium ain't bad.

The Federalist Engineer
06-29-2018, 08:09 PM
Without a doubt.

I fear what the World Cup will be like when they expand the field again. Watching teams like Japan and South Korea absolutely park it for 3 straight games was brutal. Adding another 16 teams is going to exacerbate that.

There is not a good reason for the soccer fan to have a WC above 16 teams. The qualification rounds are actually nail biters but now...meaningless

Why even have qualifation when the field is 48 strong. I say just play a huge single-elimination bracket like March madness...128 nations...if there even that many nations.

Now you avoid 100s of qualifier matches and play an annual WC or every 2 years. With fewer games.

Dawg61
06-29-2018, 09:18 PM
There is not a good reason for the soccer fan to have a WC above 16 teams. The qualification rounds are actually nail biters but now...meaningless

Why even have qualifation when the field is 48 strong. I say just play a huge single-elimination bracket like March madness...128 nations...if there even that many nations.

Now you avoid 100s of qualifier matches and play an annual WC or every 2 years. With fewer games.

If they get rid of friendlies and replace it with an annual 128 team tournament I am so down for that. I can't stand soccer friendlies. England has a really large tournament every year. Some cup forgot the name but it has something like 200 clubs in it. It's awesome and there's always a couple real small clubs that get to the 4th/5th rounds and get to host a monster club like Man U. It's a once in a lifetime matchup for those small home club fans to finally get to witness. Then they get their ass kicked but still it's a sweet tournament.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-29-2018, 09:33 PM
If they get rid of friendlies and replace it with an annual 128 team tournament I am so down for that. I can't stand soccer friendlies. England has a really large tournament every year. Some cup forgot the name but it has something like 200 clubs in it. It's awesome and there's always a couple real small clubs that get to the 4th/5th rounds and get to host a monster club like Man U. It's a once in a lifetime matchup for those small home club fans to finally get to witness. Then they get their ass kicked but still it's a sweet tournament.

You are talking about the FA Cup. It is essentially the SEC baseball tournament of English soccer. Everyone says it is an irreverent tournament except for whoever won it last, and half the fans for all the Premier League teams ‘want’ to get knocked out early so they can have more rest for the competitions they deem more important.

Liverpooldawg
06-29-2018, 09:52 PM

It's the FA Cup and it's several hundred more than 200 clubs involved. It was 737 last year to be exact. The League Cup, currently known as the Carbarro Cup, has all 92 teams that are considered to be "Football League". The only function for international "friendlies" is to get club players hurt. ALL international football should be banned, but if you have to have it, PLEASE restrict it to games that actually matter.

Dawg61
06-30-2018, 04:13 PM
France & Uruguay move on. France was very impressive. New stud Mbappe scores twice for France. He's only 19. Ronaldo & Messi going home. Didn't see Maradona in the stands.

Dawgowar
06-30-2018, 06:37 PM

If FIFA really tries to force this new large club WC format on the leagues it may be their undoing. I read an article on it and it seems more a scheme to make three or four languishing Italian sides relevant again. Multiple teams from each league having to play over the summer? Concurrent would compete with the Champions League. I really wish the clubs/leagues would just tell FIFA to eff off. May happen anyway after the 'WINTER World Cup' in QATAR '22. First time ever no Boxing Day matches.

WeWonItAll(Most)
07-02-2018, 02:31 PM
I talked bad about how Japan played in the group stages, but they've gone toe to toe with Belgium from the opening kick today and put away their opportunities.

I was about to say that this might be the most impressive performance of the tourney and they just gave up a crap goal. Lets see if they can keep it up for 20 more minutes without the momentum.

Dawg61
07-02-2018, 03:44 PM
Japan v Belgium was the best match so far of the tourney. Did not see that coming. I predicted Belgium 4-0 before the kick. Japan played their asses off but gave up the crucial final when Belgium countered off their corner in the last minute of stoppage time. Savage way to lose after going toe for toe with Belgium for 94 minutes.

https://twitter.com/FOXSoccer/status/1013863349795164160

https://twitter.com/FOXSoccer/status/1013867392206716928

https://twitter.com/FOXSoccer/status/1013874079114227712

Liverpooldawg
07-03-2018, 03:54 PM
Holy Moly!!!! England won a penalty shoot out! Maybe this is finally the year.

fishwater99
07-03-2018, 04:17 PM
Great one so far... Love the PK games..

Dawg61
07-03-2018, 04:36 PM
I could still get all 4 teams right in my second bracket. First bracket I can only get 3 of 4 right still. France v Uruguay, Brazil v Belgium, Russia v Croatia and England v Sweden is a pretty damn sweet quarterfinal.

Bully13
07-03-2018, 05:53 PM
If you are not inspired by the passion these fans show, you don't have an ounce of red blood in you. Even though I'm "not a fan", I'm floored by the enthusiasm and patriotism these fans and players show. It is WAY COOL.

Dawgowar
07-03-2018, 09:09 PM
Holy Moly!!!! England won a penalty shoot out! Maybe this is finally the year.

Hope so. Been listening to TALKSPORT in London this WC. Watching their doom and gloom begrudgingly change into hopeful gloom and doom is a hoot.

That place will go mental if they make it to the semis.

Liverpooldawg
07-03-2018, 10:26 PM
Hope so. Been listening to TALKSPORT in London this WC. Watching their doom and gloom begrudgingly change into hopeful gloom and doom is a hoot.

I was there in 2010. They were hopeful, but expected to lose. I don't think they had any hope this time. That and the tensions between the U.K. and Russia have led to the smallest English fan presence in a long time. I hope they do it.

Dawg61
07-03-2018, 10:37 PM

Shit they might make the finals. They have the easiest path. Beat Sweden beat Croatia. Can't ask for a better path than that. I think Sweden is going to give them a bloodbath though. Sweden is tough. They can't finish for shit but they aren't soft. They'll battle England toe v toe. New coach for them has instilled some toughness. They seem to be a much better team without Zlatan.

Liverpooldawg
07-07-2018, 05:34 PM
Is it coming home? First time in the semis since 1990.

Bully13
07-07-2018, 05:47 PM
I'm starting to enjoy soccer for the 1st time in my life. That Croatia / Russian game kicked ass. Loved it when that Croatian lady was getting off looking towards the Russian dude who turned his head away. The passion of all involved is awesome.

Liverpooldawg
07-07-2018, 07:19 PM
I'm starting to enjoy soccer for the 1st time in my life. That Croatia / Russian game kicked ass. Loved it when that Croatian lady was getting off looking towards the Russian dude who turned his head away. The passion of all involved is awesome.
Watch a club game from a non-plastic club if you think this is good. I would suggest Liverpool, but there are others. Dortmund, Celtic, Rangers, Crystal Palace, gasp, even Everton come to mind.

Bully13
07-07-2018, 08:18 PM
Watch a club game from a non-plastic club if you think this is good. I would suggest Liverpool, but there are others. Dortmund, Celtic, Rangers, Crystal Palace, gasp, even Everton come to mind.

Will do Liver. I'm starting to like this shit. If not for my South American Born and raised Wife, I would not be in this thread. This is indeed a great sport sir. I can't believe I'm actually saying this shit. What's next for me? MS Delta Born and Raised at age 55. Hockey?

KOdawg1
07-07-2018, 08:38 PM

See, I've tried doing this, but I just can't fully buy into it.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it, but the national pride is what makes the World Cup great..at least to me.

Bully13
07-07-2018, 08:50 PM

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it, but the national pride is what makes the World Cup great..at least to me.

Solid Post KO. I Feel you Bro. Give it a chance.

Liverpooldawg
07-07-2018, 08:53 PM

I watch it, I can't help myself, but international football's primary function is to get club players hurt. The city or neighborhood pride from the non-plastics is even more intense. If you want to do it right watch, or even better , got to, a lower league club game in England. I've done it once. It's WAY more real than the international farce.

Dawg61
07-07-2018, 08:59 PM
I am picking Argentina v Belgium and Croatia v England in one bracket final four. England v Belgium. Belgium World Cup Champs.

https://media.giphy.com/media/YUUkaOGDjZZoDPTycx/giphy.gif

Liverpooldawg
07-07-2018, 09:22 PM
I've got no proof here obviously but I had been telling my son to keep an eye on Croatia, Belgium, and France. As for my favorite other than US, England, I figured they would flop as usual.

The Federalist Engineer
07-07-2018, 10:03 PM
Overall Talent Rank

(1) Belgium - KDB, Luka, hazard, Vertonghen and Demble is a Pogba killer and Coutois is good
(2) France - Pogba, Greitzmann, Verane
(3) England - Kane, Sterling, Walker
(4) Croatia - Modric and rest is ok. - Vida and Subasic showing out

Goalie Rank
(1) courtois- Belgium
(2) lloris- France
(3) Subasic - Croatia
(4) Pickford - England

Intangibles - Fan and Russian Support

(1) Belgium - new favorite for neutrals
(2) England - far from home and local press
(3) Croatia - Slavs but not Orthodox, Catholic infidels to Russians
(4) France - 2nd most hated nation on earth

Most Clutch Players top-5

(1) KDB - Belgium
(2) Hazard - Belgium
(3) Greitzmann - France
(4) Sterling - England
(5) Pogba - France

Due a Bad Game - Historic Perspectives

(1) France - lots of stoners like LSU and not facing a Latin team
(2) England - everybody getting BBC and Guardian profiles as distractions
(3) Belgium - already had a bad game vs Japan - the secret Germans of the tournament
(4) Croatia - solid team, never really peaks or miserably collapses in tournaments

Final is looking like Belgium v England

Liverpooldawg
07-07-2018, 10:44 PM
The traitor Sterling does everything, sort of, but score for the Three Lions, He is an athlete, but his character is weak. He always fails on big occasions. You are WAY off on Russian support. English-Russian relations are lower than they have been since at least Churchill and the Cold War. Google Salisbury nerve agent attack. There is a reason the English crowds have been the smallest in decades.

The Federalist Engineer
07-07-2018, 11:08 PM
The traitor Sterling does everything, sort of, but score for the Three Lions, He is an athlete, but his character is weak. He always fails on big occasions. You are WAY off on Russian support. English-Russian relations are lower than they have been since at least Churchill and the Cold War. Google Salisbury nerve agent attack. There is a reason the English crowds have been the smallest in decades.

A Liverpool guy would dislike Sterling, no offense taken. There is not much to like in any of these teams for me personally- except with the underdog Croats. Sterling will steal you a penalty and he keeps the defense busy with his pace and ball control. Plus he is a confident lad.

When it comes to Russia, they almost have problems with everybody. France 1804 and 1812, Japan 1905, current Germany 1914 and 1941, Old Prussian Germany many times, Poland since 1600's, England always and a hot war in Crimea 1853, Swedes 1788, Fins many times, and not to mention 20th century rape-pillage of Hungarians/Romanians/Georgians/Ukrainians/Jews/Polish/Czech/Germans after WW2

If the Russians are forced to pick from the 4, they probably pick Belgium...just saying, Russian history ain't pretty. The French burned down Moscow and killed 1.5M Russians, Croats-Serbs (Russia's psychotic little brother) have actually impale and slaughter children in recent history, and England (comparatively) merely kept the Russians from conquering India, Persia, Turkey, and Arabian Peninsula. So England is just a blocker, not quite as bad as sub-human Catholic Croats.

WeWonItAll(Most)
07-07-2018, 11:16 PM
(4) Croatia - Modric and rest is ok. - Vida and Subasic showing out

(4) Croatia - solid team, never really peaks or miserably collapses in tournamenta

Rakatic is a starter for Barcelona, Manduzic for Juventus, Perisic has been a key player for Inter for at least 3 years now, Loveren (though seemingly hated) has been a starter for Liverpool for years now. Rebic is a great young-ish up and comer. Croatia isn't a team that comes into your mind as talent. But while they aren't as talented as Belgium and France, they have a lot more talent than people thing they do. Rakatic and Modric might be the best central midfield combo in the World Cup.

Your summary of their play is pretty spot on though, they're incredibly steady and cohesive. They aren't going to smash teams, but they also aren't going to be anywhere close to an easy opponent (see how they dismantled Argentina).

WeWonItAll(Most)
07-07-2018, 11:46 PM
The fact that the Serbs can be considered psychotic relative to the Russians is pretty damning for the Serbs. Lol

The ethnic hatred in the Balkans is incredible, and the fact that each ethnic group also happens to adhere to a different religion is like pouring gas on the fire.

The Federalist Engineer
07-08-2018, 07:02 AM
Rakatic is a starter for Barcelona, Manduzic for Juventus, Perisic has been a key player for Inter for at least 3 years now, Loveren (though seemingly hated) has been a starter for Liverpool for years now. Rebic is a great young-ish up and comer. Croatia isn't a team that comes into your mind as talent. But while they aren't as talented as Belgium and France, they have a lot more talent than people thing they do. Rakatic and Modric might be the best central midfield combo in the World Cup.

Your summary of their play is pretty spot on though, they're incredibly steady and cohesive. They aren't going to smash teams, but they also aren't going to be anywhere close to an easy opponent (see how they dismantled Argentina).

Everything abut Croatia is good. I'm only talking "Star" power which is not always a good thing in soccer. Neymar is greatly talented but insufferable. Louvren does suck thou, but he is great in the air for set piece goals. Him and Harry Maguire are beasts for headers.

Rakatic at Barca is closer to Busqets and Iniesta than Messi and Suarez. But you can't play at Barca without being extremely good

WeWonItAll(Most)
07-08-2018, 08:38 AM
Everything abut Croatia is good. I'm only talking "Star" power which is not always a good thing in soccer. Neymar is greatly talented but insufferable. Louvren does suck thou, but he is great in the air for set piece goals. Him and Harry Maguire are beasts for headers.

Rakatic at Barca is closer to Busqets and Iniesta than Messi and Suarez. But you can't play at Barca without being extremely good
I gotcha.

Yea I can't stand Neymar. Mbappe had a Neymar-esque flop in like the 87' of their game against Uruguay. If I was Uruguay's coach at that point in the game, I would have told the team to give him a real reason to roll around on the ground if he wants to so badly.

The Federalist Engineer
07-08-2018, 11:04 PM
Bet 365 has France and England favored to win in Semis

- only slightly favoring France
- England is slight favored to beat Croatia

1-0 and 1-1 are the most probable scores for both games

Basically Random factors like a red card, own goals, keeper errors, or a bad miss could change everything.

Dawg61
07-08-2018, 11:59 PM
I'm sticking to my initial prediction when the R16 started. Belgium vs England. I think England routes Croatia. Belgium v France is going down to the last second/kick.