PDA

View Full Version : Banks has staff infection

Political Hack
10-11-2013, 08:49 PM
story on yahoo. Don't have the link right now and haven't read it yet.

may be old news???

preachermatt83
10-11-2013, 09:43 PM
staph

whosyourdawgy
10-12-2013, 06:31 AM
Someone knowledable tell us more about this type staph. From all the tweets I've seen if must be a pretty and one. No antibiotics to heal it. What does this mean for Johnthan

CooterDavenport
10-12-2013, 08:31 AM
It's methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). It's resistant to a lot of antibiotics but can still be treated by a few others.

MRSA is everywhere. In your nose and under your fingernails. Good info here, though it doesn't id Banks: http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=20547681

Westdawg
10-12-2013, 08:43 AM
I caught MRSA last year after one of my players walked into the coaches office to show off this big "zit" on his back. Seriously, two weeks later, I contracted MRSA on a spot on my forehead where my visor rubbed a little pimple, and it almost ended up killing me. Spent a week in a quarantine unit at a hospital. I will find a pick of mine and post. My head was severely swollen.

Westdawg
10-12-2013, 08:50 AM
nm

DownwardDawg
10-12-2013, 08:54 AM
I caught MRSA last year after one of my players walked into the coaches office to show off this big "zit" on his back. Seriously, two weeks later, I contracted MRSA on a spot on my forehead where my visor rubbed a little pimple, and it almost ended up killing me. Spent a week in a quarantine unit at a hospital. I will find a pick of mine and post. My head was severely swollen.

Wow!! Crazy story!

HereComesTheSpiral
10-12-2013, 09:47 AM
It's some nasty shit. We had an outbreak while I was in the Army and that shit will spread like a plague. Luckily I never got it, but I think this is the type where they have to cut it open and pack it to get the infection out.

Diggs
10-12-2013, 11:14 AM
MRSA is some scary stuff. It loves to colonize in the nasal passages. 90% of healthcare professionals have S. aureus in their nose while 10% of the general population has it. It is a opportunistic pathogen... meaning unless you have a cut or some type of immune deficiency it won't bother you.

This is why it's so important to wash your hands and ALWAYS take antibiotics when prescribed till the infection is completely wiped out. If not, you are just leaving behind the stragglers (less resistant bacteria) that now have plenty more room to grow, replicate, and possibly mutate into a more resistant form. My textbooks are roughly 2 years old and we are already having to correct sections of the book where certain bacteria have become resistant to antibiotics in that time span. Don't take any antibiotics unless you ABSOLUTELY need them!

Definitely going to be the major health concern of my generation going forward. This is only going to get worse.

Drugdog
10-12-2013, 02:01 PM
If you're"zit" has a black dot in the middle of it, chances are it is staph. See a dr. ASAP

Political Hack
10-12-2013, 02:26 PM
staph

tushay.