PDA

View Full Version : Kendall Rogers on head to head

preachermatt83
06-26-2018, 03:48 PM
Well this is gonna Make some folks unhappy. Kendall said schloss wanted more money (his guess was around 1.6). Cohen wouldn?t agree to it and later schloss wanted to come back to the negotiating table and Cohen wouldn?t.

biggun
06-26-2018, 03:50 PM
I know Rogers is “in the know” but still, I find that hard to believe

msudawglb
06-26-2018, 03:52 PM
Well this is gonna Make some folks unhappy. Kendall said schloss wanted more money (his guess was around 1.6). Cohen wouldn?t agree to it and later schloss wanted to come back to the negotiating table and Cohen wouldn?t.

I guarandamntee you that Kendall got that info from Schloss. Of course Schloss isn't going to say that he had personal issues that kept him from getting the job.

Coursesuper
06-26-2018, 03:53 PM
I know Rogers is “in the know” but still, I find that hard to believe

Why is it so hard to believe that? Are you that naive, this is how biz is done on both sides of the equation.

dawgs
06-26-2018, 03:57 PM
Why is it so hard to believe that? Are you that naive, this is how biz is done on both sides of the equation.

I mean, he's already making $1.5M, if we didn't offer a minimum of $1.6M initially, then what's the point of even talking to him?

thf24
06-26-2018, 04:00 PM
Not saying I wouldn't have wanted him as our coach in the slightest, just an observation... from almost every relevant piece of information involving us and him as of late, Schloss strikes me as somewhat of a drama queen. Almost in the Mainieri vein.

Turfdawg67
06-26-2018, 04:03 PM
I mean, he's already making $1.5M, if we didn't offer a minimum of $1.6M initially, then what's the point of even talking to him?

Exactly... maybe I'd believe it if the amount was like $1.8MM with incentives on top.

Activated Alpha
06-26-2018, 04:06 PM
I'm sorry, but I feel like we should have brought negotiations back to the table. I'll get behind Lemonis, but if we indeed had the option between Schloss and others then we should have gone with Schloss. Just my opinion

msudawglb
06-26-2018, 04:08 PM
Not saying I wouldn't have wanted him as our coach in the slightest, just an observation... from almost every relevant piece of information involving us and him as of late, Schloss strikes me as somewhat of a drama queen. Almost in the Mainieri vein.

Bingo.

MafiaDawg
06-26-2018, 04:11 PM
Yea I call BS on what Kendall said.

06-26-2018, 04:13 PM
AGAIN....KENDALL ROGERS PUSHES HIS OWN AGENDAS

None of his information was even close, Cliff Godwin says hello, that crap was orchestrated

More useless information from preachermatt83

DownwardDawg
06-26-2018, 04:14 PM

Agree. If any of this Schloss talk is true, thank God we didn’t hire him.

The Federalist Engineer
06-26-2018, 04:25 PM
Doesn't the MSU coach get all the Polk's Meats he can eat? WTF else did Schloss want.

Looking and listening to Lemonis, he needs to do some exercise. I had similar issues, I have some breathing problems and need to use a CPAP. Lemonis shows many signs of breathing problems and he is working the heck out of his heart.

Not the Mullen or Cannizarro exercise plan for chasing and impressing the Recruiting Wench, but something to make life more comfortable and healthy.

Old dude wisdom for the kids, free of charge

preachermatt83
06-26-2018, 04:31 PM

None of his information was even close, Cliff Godwin says hello, that crap was orchestrated

You are an absolute jerk. All I did was post what Kendall said.

Todd4State
06-26-2018, 04:32 PM
Pretty much confirms that Schloss was the one that dropped the ball and not Cohen.

Schlossnagle probably assumed that he had the job locked up and didn't take the interview very seriously.

Todd4State
06-26-2018, 04:33 PM
You are an absolute jerk. All I did was post what Kendall said.

I'm just glad we got someone better than Lane Burroughs. That's the guy Goat was pushing.

preachermatt83
06-26-2018, 04:35 PM
I'm just glad we got someone better than Lane Burroughs. That's the guy Goat was pushing.

5049 is goat?? That would explain So much!!

Cooterpoot
06-26-2018, 04:42 PM

He was actually making $1.2M.

BuckyIsAB****
06-26-2018, 04:57 PM
Yeah I doubt that very seriously

Coursesuper
06-26-2018, 05:04 PM
Yeah I doubt that very seriously

Why?

bobcat91
06-26-2018, 05:17 PM
That's BS. Money was not the reason Schlossnagle is not our coach. That is Schlossnagle doing a CYA.

Irondawg
06-26-2018, 05:30 PM
yeah, something doesn't pass the smell test here because most everyone knows how salary negotiations go. There might be some half truths in there, but more likely more to the story. Like maybe Cohen didn't like the way he negotiated and/or some of the other rumored information came up during the negotiations. If both sides really want to make a deal it happens 99.9% of the time.

During the negotiations here somebody decided they didn't want to make a deal for one reason or another. I have to doubt it was money, especially if only in the range we're talking about here.

yjnkdawg
06-26-2018, 06:01 PM
He was actually making $1.2M.

I thought that $1.5 million was too high because McDonnell makes $1.4 million, and McDonnell currently should be making more than Schloss.

msstate7
06-26-2018, 06:04 PM
Why would schloss get Kendall to say he wanted to come back to negotiate? Makes him look bad imo

Todd4State
06-26-2018, 06:15 PM
Why would schloss get Kendall to say he wanted to come back to negotiate? Makes him look bad imo

It's called butthurt. And yes, it does make him look bad.

It also makes me feel better about Cohen's decision.

TNDawg35
06-26-2018, 06:21 PM
I could see Cohen telling Schloss, "Naw homie, IB don't play that shit..."

RocketDawg
06-26-2018, 06:28 PM

If it's true, I suppose Schlosnagle found out what his ceiling is. And if his asking number is "only" $100K above what he's making now, and we weren't willing to do it, he'd better be happy with the job he has now. We also found out what our ceiling is, if he's supposedly the best.

MarcoRubio
06-26-2018, 06:34 PM
Not the Mullen or Cannizarro exercise plan for chasing and impressing the Recruiting Wench, but something to make life more comfortable and healthy.

That?s funny right there. Don?t care who you are. I LOL?d.

Todd4State
06-26-2018, 06:35 PM
If it's true, I suppose Schlosnagle found out what his ceiling is. And if his asking number is "only" $100K above what he's making now, and we weren't willing to do it, he'd better be happy with the job he has now. We also found out what our ceiling is, if he's supposedly the best.

We're not going haggle over 100K. That's less than 10K a month on a million + contract with incentives in it.

Cohen is 100% all about winning and making our program the best. And if a coach interviews and isn't saying the right things about moving our program forward than Cohen isn't biting.

AlSwearengen
06-26-2018, 07:18 PM
Whatever the issue, I think it is safe to say that Schlossnagle really turned Cohen off. Someone mentioned that Schlossnagle ?didn?t play well with others?, meaning he rubbed other coaches the wrong way. Maybe some of that came out in the meeting. Cohen is an alpha-male and I don?t see him putting up with much shit. I don?t think Schlossnagle did his homework on Cohen the way he should have.

TrapGame
06-26-2018, 07:34 PM
Whatever the issue, I think it is safe to say that Schlossnagle really turned Cohen off. Someone mentioned that Schlossnagle ?didn?t play well with others?, meaning he rubbed other coaches the wrong way. Maybe some of that came out in the meeting. Cohen is an alpha-male and I don?t see him putting up with much shit. I don?t think Schlossnagle did his homework on Cohen the way he should have.

Yeah, something went down between Schloss and Cohen. I think Schloss might have gone IB to get the job and Cohen knows there can only be one IB.

Saltydog
06-26-2018, 07:46 PM
his pride. Personally I think Rogers is full of shit and we all know he has his own agenda but if it did indeed happen this way then Cohen is not a good businessman.

Coursesuper
06-26-2018, 08:09 PM
his pride. Personally I think Rogers is full of shit and we all know he has his own agenda but if it did indeed happen this way then Cohen is not a good businessman.

I'm curious, what is Kendal Rogers agenda? Where is this manifested?

Maroons
06-26-2018, 08:10 PM

You're wrong. Schloss was at our hotel in Omaha and told multiple people he wanted the job.

JDog13
06-26-2018, 08:19 PM
Schloss got pissed cause he assumed the job was his if he interviewed, well, cause he's Jim MF'n Schlossnagle. Cohen told Schloss he had a few more people to talk to. Schloss' Ego didn't handle that too well, and he & his agent gave Cohen a deadline. That deadline passed, Schloss' feelings hurt, he ran to Kendal Rogers and told him he told us no thanks.

IB didn't appreciate the way Schloss let all this info out, using Rogers to put pressure on him, and moved on with Schloss' named crossed off. Schloss thought we'd come running to him, cause he's Jim MF'n Schlossnagle, but obviously he didn't know who he was dealing with. So, by the time we won the super regional, Schloss came back, trying everything he could to get back in. Just like Jimmy Spencer, IB doesn't forget.

All the people that think Schloss turned this job down are just uninformed. His ego is why he isn't our coach right now. Cohen saw enough out of Schloss to know he didn't want any part of him. Schloss is also a high end guy, with a high end wife. They are used to the money scene around Ft Worth, and wouldn't have liked it in Starkville. She didn't want to move here, and Schloss would have jumped on the first offer from a big city school.

Get off Cohen's nutts. As much as we all wanted Jim MF'n Schlossnagle to be the guy, IB made the right choice passing on him, for the long term benefit of the program.

Todd4State
06-26-2018, 08:22 PM
You're wrong. Schloss was at our hotel in Omaha and told multiple people he wanted the job.

The rumors about Schlossnagle were coming from people in MLB and scouting circles who had no reason to have an agenda against MSU either or have a reason to make it up. Rosebowl said the same thing as well.

Todd4State
06-26-2018, 08:25 PM
Schloss got pissed cause he assumed the job was his if he interviewed, well, cause he's Jim MF'n Schlossnagle. Cohen told Schloss he had a few more people to talk to. Schloss' Ego didn't handle that too well, and he & his agent gave Cohen a deadline. That deadline passed, Schloss' feelings hurt, he ran to Kendal Rogers and told him he told us no thanks.

IB didn't appreciate the way Schloss let all this info out, using Rogers to put pressure on him, and moved on with Schloss' named crossed off. Schloss thought we'd come running to him, cause he's Jim MF'n Schlossnagle, but obviously he didn't know who he was dealing with. So, by the time we won the super regional, Schloss came back, trying everything he could to get back in. Just like Jimmy Spencer, IB doesn't forget.

All the people that think Schloss turned this job down are just uninformed. His ego is why he isn't our coach right now. Cohen saw enough out of Schloss to know he didn't want any part of him. Schloss is also a high end guy, with a high end wife. They are used to the money scene around Ft Worth, and wouldn't have liked it in Starkville. She didn't want to move here, and Schloss would have jumped on the first offer from a big city school.

Get off Cohen's nutts. As much as we all wanted Jim MF'n Schlossnagle to be the guy, IB made the right choice passing on him, for the long term benefit of the program.

BOOM!

And to be honest I was a little concerned when all the rumors were going around because I knew that they had to be from Schlossnagle telling it to scouts and MLB personnel because there was no way in hell that Cohen was telling scouts that info.

Saltydog
06-26-2018, 08:33 PM
Allegedly, there was Schloss, then McDonnell, Godwin (which I think is horseshit) and then Butch. I'm not sure about Corbin.

JDog13
06-26-2018, 08:46 PM
Godwin was never talked to. His agent reached out to MSU. He wanted some publicity while doing Bianco a favor. Butch, beats me. I don't think we talked to him, but it's possible we did. I don't know.

Saltydog
06-26-2018, 08:50 PM
NT

Shake 'n Bake
06-26-2018, 08:51 PM
My 2 cents trying to tie all the rumors up in a neat little package. Cohen and Schloss had gotten pretty far along, Cohen wanted to wait for McDonnell’s season to end to interview him as well. Schloss got pissed and pulled his name. McDonnell interviewed and gave it serious thought but backed out, but at that time pointed Cohen in Lemonis direction. Cohen interviews Lemonis and loves him. Schloss tries to get back in, but Cohen already has his man in Lemonis.

Todd4State
06-26-2018, 08:51 PM
Allegedly, there was Schloss, then McDonnell, Godwin (which I think is horseshit) and then Butch. I'm not sure about Corbin.

McDonnell's wife doesn't want to live in Mississippi. So much for Oxford being the most charming place on Earth!

Godwin was horseshit. Really if you look at Kendall Rogers quote about him all he said "Cliff Godwin would be a good person for MSU to look at". And then the next day Godwin makes it sound like we were interested in him.

I'm not sure about Butch but I just don't think Cohen was that interested in him as a head coach. It's sort of like Henderson in that Cohen had a chance to offer him our job and never did. I think Cohen wants someone a little more energetic like Lemonis.

Saltydog
06-26-2018, 08:57 PM
looking back. This one really did involve the spouse and I'll leave it at that.

Cooterpoot
06-26-2018, 08:58 PM
McDonnell was never an option.
Godwin was never a consideration or afterthought.
Schloss was basically a done deal but something killed it.

JDog13
06-26-2018, 09:01 PM
You may be correct, but I only heard Butch's name mentioned by fans.

JDog13
06-26-2018, 09:04 PM
McDonnell definitely was an option, unless you're implying we weren't an option for him. He met with John, and had a lot of great things to say about Lemonis, when John asked about him.

Commercecomet24
06-26-2018, 09:04 PM
Don't think Cohen was to pleased about schloss contacting our recruits before anything was official either.

Tbonewannabe
06-26-2018, 09:25 PM
McDonnell was never an option.
Godwin was never a consideration or afterthought.
Schloss was basically a done deal but something killed it.

Thank God that Godwin wasn't a serious candidate. After I started looking at his resume', I was not that impressed. Lemonis is hands down the better candidate between him and Godwin. I would rather have given it to GoTro than Godwin.

I did wonder how Schloss's family would take living in Starkville. I don't think he has ever coached in a small town. He basically went from Clemson to Tulane to UNLV to TCU. It would make you wonder if he would be another version of Mullen only without the chance at going to a bigger program.

BHildreth3
06-26-2018, 09:32 PM
It doesn't matter - let's get on board with a great recruiter. There is nothing we can do to change it. I'd be very surprised if Lemon doesn't get the job done. Get on board. Let's just move on.

maroonmania
06-26-2018, 10:18 PM
My 2 cents trying to tie all the rumors up in a neat little package. Cohen and Schloss had gotten pretty far along, Cohen wanted to wait for McDonnell?s season to end to interview him as well. Schloss got pissed and pulled his name. McDonnell interviewed and gave it serious thought but backed out, but at that time pointed Cohen in Lemonis direction. Cohen interviews Lemonis and loves him. Schloss tries to get back in, but Cohen already has his man in Lemonis.

All I will say from a logic perspective is that if Cohen had really been impressed with Schloss and Schloss really wanted the job there is NO WAY Cohen would have risked losing him just for the opportunity to 'talk' with McDonnell when getting McDonnell was a clear longshot. Pretty obvious Cohen had some kind of reservations about Schloss from the get go.

biggun
06-26-2018, 10:52 PM

thanks for the tip Sparky, you must be a true business whizz*******************

confucius say
06-26-2018, 11:05 PM
At least Four times since Sunday Cohen has said, sometimes instead of giving people what they really want in the present, you have to give them what they need for the long term.

That's code for not only why LeMo was the choice, but why Schloss was not the choice.

Todd4State
06-26-2018, 11:09 PM
All I will say from a logic perspective is that if Cohen had really been impressed with Schloss and Schloss really wanted the job there is NO WAY Cohen would have risked losing him just for the opportunity to 'talk' with McDonnell when getting McDonnell was a clear longshot. Pretty obvious Cohen had some kind of reservations about Schloss from the get go.

Honestly, it's always a good practice to go through a thorough interview process. McDonnell is a very good coach in his own right. And probably in interviewing him may have helped lead us to Lemonis.

yjnkdawg
06-26-2018, 11:42 PM
Even if there weren't any personal issues, I think that Schloss' actions upset and embarrassed Cohen, and thus that bridge was burned for any future negotiations.

Dawg2003
06-27-2018, 12:34 AM
If all this is true, Schloss sounds like a bit of a head case. That’s just straight up weird to go around Omaha telling people you messed up and wanted the job. It’s also shady as hell to release that he withdrew his name to the media. Also, the last thing you need is some damn demsnding diva with Cohen as AD. Sounds like the two wouldn’t have gotten along.

LilSebastian
06-27-2018, 01:15 AM
Even if there weren't any personal issues, I think that Schloss' actions upset and embarrassed Cohen, and thus that bridge was burned for any future negotiations.

I think you?re right and a lot of fans are missing a very plausible, open explanation. Cohen clearly appreciates a low key search and probably expressed to Schloss that he was going to announce at end of our season. Schloss thinks he?s the guy and starts leaking to his friends and people in the college baseball community, starts calling recruits, etc. Cohen clearly isn?t overly involved in the day-to-day, but he needs to have control over his coaches, and Schloss wasn?t snapping into line. On the other hand, Schloss didn?t promise a guy like Schloss, Cohen did. Cohen made this a national search and you invite chaos when you do that.

Coursesuper
06-27-2018, 06:42 AM
thanks for the tip Sparky, you must be a true business whizz*******************

About the response I would expect here these days.

MarketingBully
06-27-2018, 07:25 AM
My 2 cents trying to tie all the rumors up in a neat little package. Cohen and Schloss had gotten pretty far along, Cohen wanted to wait for McDonnell’s season to end to interview him as well. Schloss got pissed and pulled his name. McDonnell interviewed and gave it serious thought but backed out, but at that time pointed Cohen in Lemonis direction. Cohen interviews Lemonis and loves him. Schloss tries to get back in, but Cohen already has his man in Lemonis.

Yes, I think this is how it went more then anything. I think Lemonis would do better then Thompson and Schloss here. I think McDonnell would do similar things here. I think McDonnell gave serious thought to coming to MSU but decided he wanted to try to win a national championship at Louisville. He definitely pointed Cohen in Lemonis’ direction and the rest there is history. I think this hire completely went by cultural fit. Lemonis is a great fit and is a great coach. I don’t think Schloss was a good cultural fit here for whatever reason.

Liverpooldawg
06-27-2018, 07:54 AM
It's all rumors and nobody really knows for sure what went on outside of John Cohen. That includes the people he interviewed. On to football season.

MarketingBully
06-27-2018, 08:11 AM

I listened to the interview. He didn?t say Schloss wanted $1.6. What he said was he wasn?t sure if Cohen wanted to set the precedent of having the highest paid baseball coach. He probably wanted more then the $1.8 we had offered him (maybe even wanting to be a $2 mil guy). I doubt we wanted to go that high and due diligence probably pulled up some things that soured us on him. But we didn?t lose him because we wouldn?t pay him $1.6.

smootness
06-27-2018, 08:23 AM

This is either clearly untrue, or Schlossnagle is a complete moron. No one with a current job (especially one that is good) goes around telling anybody and everybody they want a different job.

gravedigger
06-27-2018, 08:25 AM

So it?s good practice to hire against your instincts? What is Cohen?s job other than determining whether he can manage someone? To simply please the fanbase?

dickiedawg
06-27-2018, 08:27 AM
I did wonder how Schloss's family would take living in Starkville. I don't think he has ever coached in a small town. He basically went from Clemson

Doesn?t really change your overall point but Clemson is smaller than Starkville.

Liverpooldawg
06-27-2018, 08:42 AM
Doesn?t really change your overall point but Clemson is smaller than Starkville.

And it's right outside of Greenville SC, which is a whole lot bigger than Starkville.

thf24
06-27-2018, 08:52 AM
Has anyone stopped to think that maybe there's a reason Schloss has been at TCU for 15 years despite supposedly being the best coach in the country and badly wanting another job? I know various unsubstantiated rumors have been floating around, but I haven't seen anyone mention any of them in relation to this circumstance.

Tbonewannabe
06-27-2018, 09:40 AM

That was also his first stop and I would guess that was before he was married. We have no clue if his wife and kids would like a small town also throw in the fact of kids changing schools that they have been to their entire lives. There is a lot more to it than just come to MSU because we have the best facilities and fan support.

KB21
06-27-2018, 09:41 AM
Thank God that Godwin wasn't a serious candidate. After I started looking at his resume', I was not that impressed. Lemonis is hands down the better candidate between him and Godwin. I would rather have given it to GoTro than Godwin.

I did wonder how Schloss's family would take living in Starkville. I don't think he has ever coached in a small town. He basically went from Clemson to Tulane to UNLV to TCU. It would make you wonder if he would be another version of Mullen only without the chance at going to a bigger program.

The Occam's Razor explanation to all of this is that Jim has not had any desire to actually leave TCU. If he were looking to jump at the first big job that came open, he would have taken the Texas job two years ago.

PassInterference
06-27-2018, 10:02 AM
Kendall Rodgers has overplayed his credibility throughout the coaching hire story.

smootness
06-27-2018, 10:04 AM
The Occam's Razor explanation to all of this is that Jim has not had any desire to actually leave TCU. If he were looking to jump at the first big job that came open, he would have taken the Texas job two years ago.

This

TrapGame
06-27-2018, 10:06 AM

You must have been the fly on the wall. That's awesome. I 100% see that this is the way it played out.

Saltydog
06-27-2018, 11:15 AM
himself as someone who has all the "inside" knowledge in order to gain press when he's been wrong time after time. Look how many times he was wrong in this case and if what JDog says is true (and I could certainly see that) then what Rogers is alleging is wrong again.

KB21
06-27-2018, 11:35 AM
himself as someone who has all the "inside" knowledge in order to gain press when he's been wrong time after time. Look how many times he was wrong in this case and if what JDog says is true (and I could certainly see that) then what Rogers is alleging is wrong again.

I got criticized at one point by even suggesting that Rogers was biased when it came to Ole Miss, but it is beyond obvious. I can't remember the connection, but someone he was close to either used to work with their BB program or still works there.

shoeless joe
06-27-2018, 12:51 PM

Somethin I heard recently was that Corbin was the first choice and was going to agree to come but then vandy offered him the AD job after either next yr or the yr after. Can't remember the exact timing.

Tbonewannabe
06-27-2018, 01:11 PM
Somethin I heard recently was that Corbin was the first choice and was going to agree to come but then vandy offered him the AD job after either next yr or the yr after. Can't remember the exact timing.

Is Vandy going to create an Athletic Director job? Vandy has an all emcompassing job over student life or something like that and athletics falls under it.

Really Clark?
06-27-2018, 01:19 PM
Is Vandy going to create an Athletic Director job? Vandy has an all emcompassing job over student life or something like that and athletics falls under it.

They have an athletic director position, it?s just that Williams is also a Vice Chancellor for Athletics and University Affairs. Not to mention a tenured law professor who still teaches

shoeless joe
06-27-2018, 01:39 PM

No clue...just passing along what I'd heard

Tbonewannabe
06-27-2018, 03:04 PM
They have an athletic director position, it?s just that Williams is also a Vice Chancellor for Athletics and University Affairs. Not to mention a tenured law professor who still teaches

I knew it was something weird like that.

JDog13
06-27-2018, 03:43 PM
I got criticized at one point by even suggesting that Rogers was biased when it came to Ole Miss, but it is beyond obvious. I can't remember the connection, but someone he was close to either used to work with their BB program or still works there.

You're both correct. He loves om.

Tbonewannabe
06-27-2018, 06:49 PM
No clue...just passing along what I'd heard

Maybe Vandy will get a normal athletic department, that might intrigue Corbin.

msbulldog
06-27-2018, 07:12 PM
You're both correct. He loves om.

If he has TSUN connections, why are we giving him any credence?

Tbonewannabe
06-27-2018, 07:21 PM
If he has TSUN connections, why are we giving him any credence?

He is connected to the college baseball world. He is a good reporter but he just has some connections to the UM program. I can't remember what the connection is but I think he was supposed to be good friends with Godwin.