PDA

View Full Version : What Are We Getting With Chris Lemonis?

ShotgunDawg
06-26-2018, 08:43 AM
I like the rest of you, didn't know much about Lemonis before yesterday.

However, after doing some research & speaking with some people I trust, I believe Cohen has landed an absolute gem. I know he doesn't have the resume to satisfy most of you, but, just so you know, I look at resumes much like I look at stats in baseball, "Stats/Resumes are like a lamp post is to a drunk: they provide support & illumination." Resumes provide support & illumination but they are not what makes a great coach great. What makes a great coach great is the ingredients he brings to the table. His tool set as a human & as a baseball coach are what will decide whether or not he will succeed.

With that in mind, something stuck out to me yesterday that likely went unnoticed by most, in one of Kendall Rogers tweets, a former Lemonis colleague replied to Kendall's tweet with something that I found profound & tells me an awful lot about the guy Cohen just hired.

Time will tell if this was the right hire. But it's hard for me to believe that a grinder who has this mentality will struggle to recruit & develop players.

Just my humble thoughts

https://i.imgur.com/etH84OQ.jpg

TrapGame
06-26-2018, 09:04 AM
Lemonis will do just fine and keeping GoTro is icing on top.

BuckyIsAB****
06-26-2018, 01:41 PM

However, after doing some research & speaking with some people I trust, I believe Cohen has landed an absolute gem. I know he doesn't have the resume to satisfy most of you, but, just so you know, I look at resumes much like I look at stats in baseball, "Stats/Resumes are like a lamp post is to a drunk: they provide support & illumination." Resumes provide support & illumination but they are not what makes a great coach great. What makes a great coach great is the ingredients he brings to the table. His tool set as a human & as a baseball coach are what will decide whether or not he will succeed.

With that in mind, something stuck out to me yesterday that likely went unnoticed by most, in one of Kendall Rogers tweets, a former Lemonis colleague replied to Kendall's tweet with something that I found profound & tells me an awful lot about the guy Cohen just hired.

Time will tell if this was the right hire. But it's hard for me to believe that a grinder who has this mentality will struggle to recruit & develop players.

Just my humble thoughts

Nope Shotgun you're wrong Cohen sux and Lemonis will suck. Everyone hates us bc we didnt hire old man gary**

06-26-2018, 01:54 PM
Stats are a good place to start a discussion. But they can be argued many different ways

There are WAY too many people who live and die with 'data'

BrunswickDawg
06-26-2018, 01:54 PM
Nope Shotgun you're wrong Cohen sux and Lemonis will suck. Everyone hates us bc we didnt hire old man gary**

I know you are being sarcastic -
But, I haven't seen any negative blowback on not hiring Hendo? I'm not in the stupid Facebook groups, so am I just missing it or is it pretty much non-existent?

Cooterpoot
06-26-2018, 01:56 PM
A fat guy that can recruit.

TrapGame
06-26-2018, 02:00 PM
But, I haven't seen any negative blowback on not hiring Hendo? I'm not in the stupid Facebook groups, so am I just missing it or is it pretty much non-existent?

I'm in two FB Dawg groups and it's pretty nasty. There are some pissed off old biddies that thought Henderson should have been named HC during the CWS run.

Martianlander
06-26-2018, 03:08 PM
Stats are a good place to start a discussion. But they can be argued many different ways

There are WAY too many people who live and die with 'data'

A prof I had at State used to say, "Figures don't lie, but liars figure".

Commercecomet24
06-26-2018, 03:23 PM

Just my humble thoughts

I know we don't always agree on everything but you've had some really good posts on Lemonis and our baseball program. I've done some digging around with some of the baseball people I've become friends with over the years and Lemonis is extremely well respected and well thought of. This hire may not excite some people and may be considered "under the radar" but everyone I've talked with said we got a winner. I know he didn't let any grass grow under his feet in contacting recruits and players, I mean he wasted zero time. I believe he's gonna do a great job, only time will tell for sure if we got the next great thing or a mediocre coach, but all signs say he's gonna be extremely successful. That's my hope anyway.

KB21
06-26-2018, 04:51 PM
I know we don't always agree on everything but you've had some really good posts on Lemonis and our baseball program. I've done some digging around with some of the baseball people I've become friends with over the years and Lemonis is extremely well respected and well thought of. This hire may not excite some people and may be considered "under the radar" but everyone I've talked with said we got a winner. I know he didn't let any grass grow under his feet in contacting recruits and players, I mean he wasted zero time. I believe he's gonna do a great job, only time will tell for sure if we got the next great thing or a mediocre coach, but all signs say he's gonna be extremely successful. That's my hope anyway.

The Mark Kingston hire didn't excite many South Carolina fans last year, and the David Pierce hiring did not excite many Texas fans two years ago, but in both cases, those programs are now back on the rise. This is just the nature of college baseball. The ones who are "upset" had their minds set on the idea that we were going to get one of these established elite coaches to make the jump. That's a rarity in college baseball.

BuckyIsAB****
06-26-2018, 05:00 PM

Have you read what some of these dumbasses on this board and on social media are saying? The keyboard AD's wanted old man gary and are terrified of what ESPN and others might think even though they have all done nothing but praise Lemonis

Todd4State
06-26-2018, 05:17 PM
Have you read what some of these dumbasses on this board and on social media are saying? The keyboard AD's wanted old man gary and are terrified of what ESPN and others might think even though they have all done nothing but praise Lemonis

Yet again MSU fan fears for no good reason. And now we get to progress our program forward.

KB21
06-26-2018, 05:21 PM
From 2010-2017, 52 players that Lemonis recruited at Louisville were drafted. I used 2017 as the cutoff, because the guys drafted out of Louisville that year were recruited by Lemonis.

I seen it dawg
06-26-2018, 05:33 PM
The Mark Kingston hire didn't excite many South Carolina fans last year, and the David Pierce hiring did not excite many Texas fans two years ago, but in both cases, those programs are now back on the rise. This is just the nature of college baseball. The ones who are "upset" had their minds set on the idea that we were going to get one of these established elite coaches to make the jump. That's a rarity in college baseball.

Ding ding ding ding

Commercecomet24
06-26-2018, 05:42 PM

You are correct, sir! Some people think this is like hiring football or basketball coaches but baseball is a totally different animal. Like you said elite baseball coaches very rarely make the jump. People that know baseball and know Lemonis believe we got a winner. Until proven different I will trust in the people that actually know about him.

Todd4State
06-26-2018, 06:17 PM
From 2010-2017, 52 players that Lemonis recruited at Louisville were drafted. I used 2017 as the cutoff, because the guys drafted out of Louisville that year were recruited by Lemonis.

I would suspect that Louisville would be more difficult to recruit at than MSU. Especially at the beginning of McDonnell's tenure.

BrunswickDawg
06-27-2018, 09:52 AM

I thought it was pretty inferred that I know what people have been saying on message boards. You and I both post enough that it should be obvious we keep up with what is said here.
I was thinking more media related.

Jack Lambert
06-27-2018, 10:37 AM
But, I haven't seen any negative blowback on not hiring Hendo?

His name was easier to pronounce.

Goat from MSU
06-27-2018, 02:31 PM
A Doug Heffernan Fatty Mcbutter Pants