PDA

View Full Version : What I Want in a Pitching Coach

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 10:23 PM
I think we can move on to this now....

I want someone that can develop pitchers using modern techniques. That to me means developing velocity and using analysis to get the most out of our pitchers. We did appear to get burned by Wes Johnson. But I think it's shortsighted to not go back to a similar program because he may or may not have implemented his program appropriately with us. My guess is he knew he wasn't going to be at MSU for long and rushed through the program because he arrived in November or December. He didn't have the same issues at Dallas Baptist and he hasn't had the same issues at Arkansas. We've gone away from his program the past couple of years and our command and velocity has suffered. Let's get someone with a similar background but do it right rather than just assume it will hurt all of our pitchers.

One thing that is a little bit weird about me as a baseball fan is I like sidearm/submarine pitchers. I loved Dan Quisenberry back in the day, Chad Bradford, Pat Neshek, and etc. And as far as MSU goes- Van Johnson, Saunders Ramsey, and Josh Wooten were some of my favorites but then Caleb Reed throwing over the stop AND sidearm was pretty much the ultimate for me. And then there is Chad Girodo. I'd like a coach that has at least a couple of those guys on the roster. With the roster limits and everything you can overdo it for sure, and I don't want that. But I would like someone that has a good knowledge of the gimmick styles of pitching. I think sidearm guys can be pretty valuable if they are good because they can eat innings if you have a starter that is having a bad day or if you get into extra innings they can help buy you some times if they are a good pitcher as well.

The last thing is I want someone with scouting/pro connections. That goes along with recruiting. IMO it's a little but easier to get elite pitchers into a college baseball program that elite power hitters because of the state of the game currently where there are a lot of hard throwing pitchers but not as many great hitters and as a result offense is down right now. So being able to find those guys that are signable is critical.

shoeless joe
06-25-2018, 10:42 PM
There's enough data now to where realistic predictions can be made about the modern...or weighted ball training programs. And I'm talkin about the full wind up and chunk the hell out of heavier and lighter weighted balls, not the large rubber ball used for warm up and between game work where the ball isn't actually thrown full bore.

Make no mistake, these programs such as driveline have one goal, increase velocity at almost any cost. I know that sounds like I'm against it but that's not totally true. If a pitcher is going to commit to that or a similar type program they have GOT to fully commit. Doing it half ass or incompletely will not do much to increase velo and is almost certain to cause arm issues. Not sure if that's the case with us and wes Johnson but it's true based on what I've seen. If a kid does the whole program...throwing, weighted ball training, and weight lifting program it can do what it claims. But as soon as you stop the training you lose the results. I've seen it first hand and heard some pro and college guys discuss the same things.

So all of that to say this...I want a guy that teaches control and maximizing whatever the guys do well. Also a focus on the mental side, which is somethin I do think wes was really good at. If a guy doesn't have 90+ in the tank and we try to get 90+ it's an issue waiting to happen.

The Federalist Engineer
06-25-2018, 10:55 PM
Totally agree, I think talent and stability at the PC position is supremely critical for MSU's ambitions. Just for 2019, a great PC is needed to work on raw material like:

(1) Graham Ashcraft
(2) Denver McQuary
(3) Kale Breaux
(4) Riley Self - to learn another pitch or two
(5) To transition Keegan James into an SEC starter
(6) To continue Cole Gordon's arc of development

Would be great to have an Allan Dunn type-of-coach in Starkville as PC.

paco
06-25-2018, 11:08 PM
I want pitchers that don't throw 20-30 pitches every inning.

KOdawg1
06-25-2018, 11:17 PM
I want pitchers that don't throw 20-30 pitches every inning.

Amen.

We need to have more of an attacking approach instead of nit-picking around the zone. A lot of was we had guys who just couldn't throw strikes.

Add a little velocity, pound the zone, and work on mental toughness - that's what I want the next pitching coach to emphasize

msstate7
06-25-2018, 11:31 PM
More velocity and high strikeout to walk rate

CadaverDawg
06-25-2018, 11:44 PM
These are great thoughts in this thread, but only one person has mentioned an actual coach (and Dunn isn't coming obviously), so let's list out some of the guys that meet these criteria and are attainable.

ScottH
06-25-2018, 11:52 PM

I want someone that can develop pitchers using modern techniques. That to me means developing velocity and using analysis to get the most out of our pitchers.

The technology aspect is critical. Todd, do we use it at all now?

If you haven't seen it in use you can't fully grasp what it can do.

I bought a Trakman for my home golf practice. The data it gives is amazing. If only I had it when I was younger......oh well.

msstate7
06-25-2018, 11:54 PM
These are great thoughts in this thread, but only one person has mentioned an actual coach (and Dunn isn't coming obviously), so let's list out some of the guys that meet these criteria and are attainable.

Here's my guy...

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?67892-Dave-therneau-(Stetson-pitching-coach)

Jay Sirianni of Sam Houston state is another guy I would interview

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=209605710

ShotgunDawg
06-26-2018, 12:03 AM
Here's my guy...

https://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?67892-Dave-therneau-(Stetson-pitching-coach)

Sirianni is a stud. Great dude. Would be a HR.

ShotgunDawg
06-26-2018, 12:05 AM

I want someone that can develop pitchers using modern techniques. That to me means developing velocity and using analysis to get the most out of our pitchers. We did appear to get burned by Wes Johnson. But I think it's shortsighted to not go back to a similar program because he may or may not have implemented his program appropriately with us. My guess is he knew he wasn't going to be at MSU for long and rushed through the program because he arrived in November or December. He didn't have the same issues at Dallas Baptist and he hasn't had the same issues at Arkansas. We've gone away from his program the past couple of years and our command and velocity has suffered. Let's get someone with a similar background but do it right rather than just assume it will hurt all of our pitchers.

One thing that is a little bit weird about me as a baseball fan is I like sidearm/submarine pitchers. I loved Dan Quisenberry back in the day, Chad Bradford, Pat Neshek, and etc. And as far as MSU goes- Van Johnson, Saunders Ramsey, and Josh Wooten were some of my favorites but then Caleb Reed throwing over the stop AND sidearm was pretty much the ultimate for me. And then there is Chad Girodo. I'd like a coach that has at least a couple of those guys on the roster. With the roster limits and everything you can overdo it for sure, and I don't want that. But I would like someone that has a good knowledge of the gimmick styles of pitching. I think sidearm guys can be pretty valuable if they are good because they can eat innings if you have a starter that is having a bad day or if you get into extra innings they can help buy you some times if they are a good pitcher as well.

The last thing is I want someone with scouting/pro connections. That goes along with recruiting. IMO it's a little but easier to get elite pitchers into a college baseball program that elite power hitters because of the state of the game currently where there are a lot of hard throwing pitchers but not as many great hitters and as a result offense is down right now. So being able to find those guys that are signable is critical.

Yup

You all thought I was nuts when I told you Wes was legit.

I'm not always right, but you should at least know that I have real, legit reasons for my opinions.

Todd4State
06-26-2018, 12:15 AM

This is a good article about it.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/even-college-baseball-teams-are-now-embracing-the-big-data-approach/

Iowa's pitching coach: https://hawkeyesports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1767&path=baseball

Their team ERA was 4.07 499/223 K/BB rate. Allowed teams to a .251 AVG.

Mizzou pitching coach: https://mutigers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1087&path=baseball

Corral is a SEC veteran and has also been at Memphis. A lot more proven than Iowa's coach.

Team ERA 3.57 531/187 K/BB ratio .247 Team batting average

Dallas Baptist Pitching Coach: https://dbupatriots.com/coaches.aspx?rc=459&path=baseball

McCarty used to be at Delta State when they won the National Title and was at La Tech under Greg Goff.

ERA: 4.53 556/223 K/BB ratio .258 AVG

Evidence of Dallas Baptist using Trackman after Wes Johnson left from another article.

https://d1baseball.com/premium/hall-paces-patriots-to-series-clinching-win/

These are just programs mentioned in the article.

Irondawg
06-26-2018, 12:15 AM
I agree with getting a few sidearm guys as well. Guys with a lot of movement or different arm angles can be extremely dangerous in college without plus velocity.

Todd4State
06-26-2018, 12:16 AM
Here's my guy...

I like these options also.

Todd4State
06-26-2018, 12:17 AM
Yup

You all thought I was nuts when I told you Wes was legit.

I'm not always right, but you should at least know that I have real, legit reasons for my opinions.

Who would you hire or interview?

Todd4State
06-26-2018, 12:18 AM

I bought a Trakman for my home golf practice. The data it gives is amazing. If only I had it when I was younger......oh well.

I'm not sure to be honest. It seemed like our entire program soured on anything Wes Johnson related after he left.

basedog
06-26-2018, 07:15 AM
We have committed recruits that have velocity coming in the next few years. One day I can reveal why I know this. Also the recruits we have committed for 2019 and 2020 snap chat a bunch. If this hold true we are gonna be loaded with top ten talent for years to come.
Lastly, all pending of course.

Dawg2003
06-26-2018, 08:23 AM
I would like for us to develop pitchers that don’t make me want to break things in my house when we pitch. I’m kidding, but we do need to stabilize the pitching. It was such a wild card. Great one day, total meltdown the next game. The more I’ve had time to look back on things, our hitting got us to Omaha.

Msudogsrule
06-26-2018, 09:02 AM
What about Christian Ostrander from USM? http://www.southernmiss.com/sports/m-basebl/mtt/christian_ostrander_1057737.html

37th in ERA, 18th in WHIP and 2nd in K/BB ratio

Also, Will Dorton at College of Charleston? https://cofcsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=534&path=baseball

4th in ERA, 1st in K/BB and 2nd in WHIP

Cary Hudson's little bro
06-26-2018, 10:27 AM
I thought this was already done? Kyle Bunn from Indiana is coming with Lemonis?

Hot Rock
06-26-2018, 10:53 AM
Bunn has been the Associate Head Coach since 2016 and I am pretty sure he will be the next Head Coach at Indiana. I am not sure if its official yet, it was not as of yesterday that I saw.

Bunn made $114,138 last year. Their assistant diving coach made about the same as Bunn.

Ck out the rest if you like, I found it interesting: https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/2017/07/indiana-university-coaching-salaries-for-2018-fiscal-year/

Brahmabull
06-26-2018, 11:09 AM

How much does your home golf Trakman run you?

Cooterpoot
06-26-2018, 11:53 AM
A quality analysis system will cost between $10,000-$25,000. Depends on how much you want. Hell, I've seen $60,000+ programs. And there are a lot of lower end stuff for less than that, but most of those are crap.

MarketingBully
06-26-2018, 12:09 PM
JT Ginn was at Chris Lemonis’ press conference. Would you guys change your tune on Lemonis if Ginn came to Starkville?

Hot Rock
06-26-2018, 01:23 PM
A quality analysis system will cost between $10,000-$25,000. Depends on how much you want. Hell, I've seen $60,000+ programs. And there are a lot of lower end stuff for less than that, but most of those are crap.

I bought the Opti-shot golf simulator for about $300 years ago (maybe 2009).. horrible product.. It was just a disc that you loaded on your PC and then you bought your own net. Initially, I used the soft golf balls and hung a blanket to hit into. Then, I got a much bigger area and set up a net and hit real balls.

I had to make a platform/hitting area because the laser device you set the golf ball on was about an inch or so tall. It was like standing in a hole to hit a ball.

Having said, that I played the best golf of my career after using it the previous winter. I got really good with my irons. It definitely helped me, that I cannot deny. I learned a lot of stuff about my swing but mostly it was probably just another way to practice.

It only helped my iron game. The chipping and putting practice was terrible and I never could hit a driver on it. I would tee off with a long iron which helped me hit into par 5's and longer 4's much better.

Bottom line, I think it was the practice that helped me. I got down to a 4 handicap, that's pretty strong for a guy that had not been below 10 handicap before or since.

Dang it, I need to set that piece of crap back up.

LibraryDawg
06-26-2018, 01:33 PM
JT Ginn was at Chris Lemonis? press conference. Would you guys change your tune on Lemonis if Ginn came to Starkville?

Robbie Faulk said he and Coach Lemonis are having a sit down meeting this afternoon.

Cooterpoot
06-26-2018, 01:52 PM
Golf is light years ahead of baseball as far as analytics goes. So are the biomechanical studies. Baseball is just starting to scratch the surface.

sandjunky
06-26-2018, 01:59 PM
I would love for state to implement the Driveline system and programs into the training for both hitters and pitchers

KB21
06-26-2018, 04:20 PM
I'm fine with this approach, but they better start oversigning pitchers if they do it. While what happened to the 2015 class isn't the norm, you are going to have arm injuries with this approach. Some guys are made to throw hard. Some aren't.

KB21
06-26-2018, 04:27 PM
https://elitebaseballperformance.com/are-weighted-baseball-velocity-programs-safe-and-effective/

The Federalist Engineer
06-26-2018, 04:29 PM
Ok, it sounds like we all agree we need another Boras Corporation guy like Gautreau. A pitching version of Gautreau like Florida and LSU have.

Money is no object because we are saving a ton of money with Lemonis versus the king's ransom we needed to chase Kaiser Schlossnagle.

Cooterpoot
06-26-2018, 04:51 PM
https://elitebaseballperformance.com/are-weighted-baseball-velocity-programs-safe-and-effective/

It's been proven weighted balls used appropriately by usage and age do not cause injuries. You can't go throw them from 60 ft away. And little kids and their dads shouldn't do it. But when used appropriately, they're not an issue.

KB21
06-26-2018, 04:53 PM
It's been proven weighted balls used appropriately by usage and age do not cause injuries. You can't go throw them from 60 ft away. And little kids and their dads shouldn't do it. But when used appropriately, they're not an issue.

The data is not out there yet. The data Mike Rienold has compiled is currently in review but has not been published.

Bulldog1
06-26-2018, 05:32 PM
I agree. Someone with pro/scout connections, and someone with a modern day philosophy.

ScottH
06-26-2018, 05:35 PM
How much does your home golf Trakman run you?

I was 25k all in.

The unit was just under 20k. Added on some accessories and basic remodeling for the balance.

Todd4State
06-26-2018, 06:24 PM

That study was done on high school and junior high pitchers- and I agree that players that are still maturing shouldn't be doing weighted ball stuff at that point in their career.

However, we are not working with high school and junior high pitchers. We are working with mostly mature pitchers- I'm sure we have some 18 and maybe even rarely 17 year old pitchers but the majority of our pitchers are between 19-23. I agree that mechanics should be cleaned up and mastered first. The other thing is pitchers should be working on their core and leg strength as well. All of those are tenants of a modern throwing program. It shouldn't be just throwing weighted balls. The results of that study which was only done over a six week period make me think that my suspicions about Wes hurrying our guys through the program instead of going at it progressively because he was on the first train out of town were correct.

If we do a program like that correctly with the other things I talked about above and did it progressively I think our pitching will improve a lot and actually attract recruits.

KB21
06-26-2018, 06:56 PM
That study was done on high school and junior high pitchers- and I agree that players that are still maturing shouldn't be doing weighted ball stuff at that point in their career.

However, we are not working with high school and junior high pitchers. We are working with mostly mature pitchers- I'm sure we have some 18 and maybe even rarely 17 year old pitchers but the majority of our pitchers are between 19-23. I agree that mechanics should be cleaned up and mastered first. The other thing is pitchers should be working on their core and leg strength as well. All of those are tenants of a modern throwing program. It shouldn't be just throwing weighted balls. The results of that study which was only done over a six week period make me think that my suspicions about Wes hurrying our guys through the program instead of going at it progressively because he was on the first train out of town were correct.

If we do a program like that correctly with the other things I talked about above and did it progressively I think our pitching will improve a lot and actually attract recruits.

Maybe. The majority of the arm injuries that this team suffered last year were from guys who were 18/19 during their freshman seasons: Ethan Small, Keegan James, Kale Breaux, Jared Padgett, Noah Hughes. I think Parker Ford's injury actually occurred before he got to campus, if I am not mistake.

KB21
06-26-2018, 07:04 PM
Todd, have you looked at any of Brent Pourciau's work on the weighted ball training?

Cooterpoot
06-26-2018, 09:02 PM
The data is not out there yet. The data Mike Rienold has compiled is currently in review but has not been published.

It’s out there. I have access to some biomechanical stuff. I read through it about 3 weeks ago. I’ll try to dig it up.

Todd4State
06-26-2018, 09:20 PM
Todd, have you looked at any of Brent Pourciau's work on the weighted ball training?

Not too much. I have heard the name though.

Homedawg
06-27-2018, 11:20 AM
JT Ginn was at Chris Lemonis’ press conference. Would you guys change your tune on Lemonis if Ginn came to Starkville?

None. And I’m ok w the hire. But Ginn isn’t coming here or not coming here because of Lemonis. I think he deep down wants to play here and that’s been the case no matter the coach the dodgers, however, are going to sign him.

MarketingBully
06-27-2018, 11:42 AM
None. And I’m ok w the hire. But Ginn isn’t coming here or not coming here because of Lemonis. I think he deep down wants to play here and that’s been the case no matter the coach the dodgers, however, are going to sign him.

Really? Because JT Ginn says otherwise...

A key element in his decision about State is his feelings about the new head coach Chris Lemonis. After meeting him face-to-face Tuesday afternoon, he came away very impressed.

"I loved the first impression I got of him," said JT. "He is a super nice, genuine guy. I really liked him a lot. He talked about building relationships with his players. He definitely seems like a real players coach. He definitely knows his stuff. I think he will do a really good job. And I couldn't be more excited to play for him."

msstate7
06-27-2018, 11:46 AM

A key element in his decision about State is his feelings about the new head coach Chris Lemonis. After meeting him face-to-face Tuesday afternoon, he came away very impressed.

"I loved the first impression I got of him," said JT. "He is a super nice, genuine guy. I really liked him a lot. He talked about building relationships with his players. He definitely seems like a real players coach. He definitely knows his stuff. I think he will do a really good job. And I couldn't be more excited to play for him."

JT has to say that. If you are negotiating, you have to appear you're willing to go to school

preachermatt83
06-27-2018, 11:49 AM
Totally agree, I think talent and stability at the PC position is supremely critical for MSU's ambitions. Just for 2019, a great PC is needed to work on raw material like:

(1) Graham Ashcraft
(2) Denver McQuary
(3) Kale Breaux
(4) Riley Self - to learn another pitch or two
(5) To transition Keegan James into an SEC starter
(6) To continue Cole Gordon's arc of development

Would be great to have an Allan Dunn type-of-coach in Starkville as PC.
I?d be supprised if Kale makes the cut. Denver may be on the chopping block as well. We have a numbers problem right now and some unbalance

preachermatt83
06-27-2018, 11:51 AM
There are also two position players that I hear are looking to transfer. Coach LeMo has got some tough choices to make regarding our roster.

msstate7
06-27-2018, 11:52 AM
There are also two position players that I hear are looking to transfer. Coach LeMo has got some tough choices to make regarding our roster.

Who? Please don't say Anderson and Hatcher

MarketingBully
06-27-2018, 11:59 AM
JT has to say that. If you are negotiating, you have to appear you're willing to go to school

It’s not always about “negotiating.” The kid genuinely loves MSU and has a very favorable opinion of Lemonis. It’s pretty easy to see that.

msstate7
06-27-2018, 12:01 PM
It’s not always about “negotiating.” The kid genuinely loves MSU and has a very favorable opinion of Lemonis. It’s pretty easy to see that.

Well Ginn has a chance to show he loves lemonis and wants to be here

MarketingBully
06-27-2018, 12:03 PM

Pretty easy to see that. Hopefully they give Lemonis a chance. I think if Henderson was named these kids would already announce their transfer.

shoeless joe
06-27-2018, 01:06 PM
Pretty easy to see that. Hopefully they give Lemonis a chance. I think if Henderson was named these kids would already announce their transfer.

Good point...who would wanna play for the guy that just equaled the second best finish in program history. Good grief...

Homedawg
06-27-2018, 01:25 PM

Get your head out of the sand for two seconds man. What do you want him to say? And I didn’t say he didn’t like the guy. I’m saying, it’s obvious he wants to play college. He committed two coaches ago. I just think the money will be too much to pass. And if he does sign it won’t be Lemonis’ fault.

Homedawg
06-27-2018, 01:28 PM
Good point...who would wanna play for the guy that just equaled the second best finish in program history. Good grief...

The guy just likes to type.......

MarketingBully
06-27-2018, 01:32 PM

I can guarantee you Henderson will never have a season again as a head coach like he had this year ever. Based on that fact, I’m glad he wasn’t named our coach.

MarketingBully
06-27-2018, 01:42 PM
Get your head out of the sand for two seconds man. What do you want him to say? And I didn’t say he didn’t like the guy. I’m saying, it’s obvious he wants to play college. He committed two coaches ago. I just think the money will be too much to pass. And if he does sign it won’t be Lemonis’ fault.

I just refuted what you had said and you come back with this? So when he says he’s impressed with Lemonis and wants to play for him he’s really just saying what people want to hear. Whstever man...

yjnkdawg

Wrong again!

Homedawg
I can guarantee you Henderson will never have a season again as a head coach like he had this year ever. Based on that fact, I’m glad he wasn’t named our coach.

While I didn’t want Henderson either, the fact remains he did what 15 other coaches in our history haven’t. JC did what he thought he needed to do. Just be thankful for the run we had and move on. Henderson didn’t get it, sop complaining about him.

MarketingBully
06-27-2018, 01:45 PM
Wrong again!

If I was Jordan Anderson or Josh Hatcher and Henderson was named coach, I’d heavily think of transferring. Hell, Jordan Anderson didn’t get a fair shake imo under Henderson.

yjnkdawg
06-27-2018, 01:50 PM

Henderson is past history now. Can we just move on forward. Everybody on here and 247 should be well aware that you hated Henderson ( or at least his decisions and play calling) and if a few on here could have made the calls then we would have won something like 9 more games and hosted a super regional. Wash, rinse, repeat.

yjnkdawg
06-27-2018, 01:56 PM
If I was Jordan Anderson or Josh Hatcher and Henderson was named coach, I?d heavily think of transferring. Hell, Jordan Anderson didn?t get a fair shake imo under Henderson.

I agree on the playing time. I'm pretty sure that the plan was for Anderson to replace Jake in CF, when Jake ended his career. I'm not sure what happened to Hatcher and I don't understand Anderson not getting more playing time either. It's pretty normal that some players will transfer when a new coach comes in, or they want more playing time. etc.

MarketingBully
06-27-2018, 01:57 PM
Henderson is past history now. Can we just move on forward. Everybody on here and 247 should be well aware that you hated Henderson ( or at least his decisions and play calling) and if a few on here could have made the calls then we would have won something like 9 more games and hosted a super regional. Wash, rinse, repeat.

You guys are the ones continuing this. I’m just responding to your retorts giving all the credit of this past run to Henderson. He was only a small piece and I will give him credit on righting the ship and being a calming influence. But Gautreau and those kids deserve more credit for this run then Henderson does imo. And we will see it next year where we will make it back and win this thing with Lemonis as our coach. Just watch. That’s all I’ll say on Henderson.

MarketingBully
06-27-2018, 02:01 PM
I agree on the playing time. I'm pretty sure that the plan was for Anderson to replace Jake in CF, when Jake ended his career. I'm not sure what happened to Hatcher and I don't understand Anderson not getting more playing time either. It's pretty normal that some players will transfer when a new coach comes in, or they want more playing time. etc.

Anderson will start next year imo. He fits what Lemonis wants to do. We will put a lot more pressure on the defense with much much more hit and runs and steals. I think Rowdy will move to second with Anderson starting in left. I also think Skelton won’t be the first choice at catcher either. I think our lineup will be much more dynamic under Lemonis with obvious strength gains next year in our team.

KB21
06-27-2018, 02:08 PM
Anderson will start next year imo. He fits what Lemonis wants to do. We will put a lot more pressure on the defense with much much more hit and runs and steals. I think Rowdy will move to second with Anderson starting in left. I also think Skelton won’t be the first choice at catcher either. I think our lineup will be much more dynamic under Lemonis with obvious strength gains next year in our team.

I've been thinking that Tanner Allen would eventually move to 2B with Bryce Bush taking over 1B.

Does anyone know if Owen Lovell stayed in school? I'm curious to see if he decides to give it a go again.

yjnkdawg
06-27-2018, 02:09 PM
You guys are the ones continuing this. I’m just responding to your retorts giving all the credit of this past run to Henderson. He was only a small piece and I will give him credit on righting the ship and being a calming influence. But Gautreau and those kids deserve more credit for this run then Henderson does imo. And we will see it next year where we will make it back and win this thing with Lemonis as our coach. Just watch. That’s all I’ll say on Henderson.

I have never campaigned for Henderson to be our new HC. If Cohen had decided he was the right fit, then I would have supported his decision, but he was definitely not my choice. I just didn't thing Henderson should have gotten slammed for anything negative that happened, and get no credit for anything positive. Let's just say it was a joint effort of our athletic department ( Athletic Director, Head Coach, Assistant Coaches, Players) and Fans that helped accomplish what we did in baseball this year.

Percho
06-27-2018, 02:21 PM
I M O

It was a team effort.

Coaches and players!

yjnkdawg
06-27-2018, 02:27 PM
DELETE

Homedawg
06-27-2018, 02:49 PM
I just refuted what you had said and you come back with this? So when he says he?s impressed with Lemonis and wants to play for him he?s really just saying what people want to hear. Whstever man...
Uou didn?t refute anything. If he signs it wound be Lemonis fault and if he doesn?t it won?t be because of him. If he doesn?t sign he might not of signed either way. You don?t know. You are just running your pie hole.

Homedawg
06-27-2018, 02:51 PM
If I was Jordan Anderson or Josh Hatcher and Henderson was named coach, I?d heavily think of transferring. Hell, Jordan Anderson didn?t get a fair shake imo under Henderson.

Glad you weren?t the coach. Ask gotro then.

Homedawg
06-27-2018, 03:05 PM

So let me ask, if JT signs is it Lemonis? fault?

MarketingBully
06-27-2018, 03:13 PM
Glad you weren?t the coach. Ask gotro then.

Gautreau wasn’t in charge of lineups or lineup order. That was Henderson.

Homedawg
06-27-2018, 03:17 PM
I've been thinking that Tanner Allen would eventually move to 2B with Bryce Bush taking over 1B.

Does anyone know if Owen Lovell stayed in school? I'm curious to see if he decides to give it a go again.

Tanner is not a 2b at this level. If he has to play there its by default

MarketingBully
06-27-2018, 03:17 PM
So let me ask, if JT signs is it Lemonis? fault?

If JT signs with the Dodgers, it will be because they either hit or were a smidge off the Ginn’s number. That has nothing to do with anything. But you said it didn’t matter what he thought of Lemonis and that article refuted exactly what you said. It doesn’t matter because Lemonis is an elite recruiter and while he might not be able to talk a first round guy out of signing with a big league team he will be able to get the kids we have lost in the 11th-15th rounds we have missed out on routinely.

Homedawg
06-27-2018, 03:18 PM
Gautreau wasn’t in charge of lineups or lineup order. That was Henderson.

sooooooo, you think henderson didn't let gotro have any input on lineup??? okkkkkkkkk. you are as dumb as i thought then.

MarketingBully
06-27-2018, 03:22 PM
sooooooo, you think henderson didn't let gotro have any input on lineup??? okkkkkkkkk. you are as dumb as i thought then.

The lineup and lineup order ultimately was Henderson’s decision. Not sure why you are disputing this.

Homedawg
06-27-2018, 03:22 PM
If JT signs with the Dodgers, it will be because they either hit or were a smidge off the Ginn’s number. That has nothing to do with anything. But you said it didn’t matter what he thought of Lemonis and that article refuted exactly what you said. It doesn’t matter because Lemonis is an elite recruiter and while he might not be able to talk a first round guy out of signing with a big league team he will be able to get the kids we have lost in the 11th-15th rounds we have missed out on routinely.

I'm ok w the hire at this point. He will get a chance to show his worth. And what i said was, either way, Lemonis really doesn't matter. Crap man, Commerce has been on here for months saying JT wanted to play here. Thats way before Lemonis. He wants to be a bulldog with or without Lemonis. I'm Glad he likes him. It doens't hurt but isn't going to determine the end result. Why is that so hard for you to understand. smh.......

MarketingBully
06-27-2018, 03:24 PM
I'm ok w the hire at this point. He will get a chance to show his worth. And what i said was, either way, Lemonis really doesn't matter. Crap man, Commerce has been on here for months saying JT wanted to play here. Thats way before Lemonis. He wants to be a bulldog with or without Lemonis. I'm Glad he likes him. It doens't hurt but isn't going to determine the end result. Why is that so hard for you to understand. smh.......

I’m glad you approve asshole...

Homedawg
06-27-2018, 03:28 PM
The lineup and lineup order ultimately was Henderson’s decision. Not sure why you are disputing this.

Yes, ultimately he signs the card. And in one breath you give gotro the credit for us winning and in the other its henderson who sat anderson. Who i might ask, at the end of the season would have you sat for anderson? or hatcher for that matter, who had more than enough opportunity to show his worth. Do you honestly think, asking again, that henderson didn't ask gotro for his opinion on the lineup??? and if the answer is yes then i give up. Cause you are wrong. again.

MarketingBully
06-27-2018, 03:43 PM
Yes, ultimately he signs the card. And in one breath you give gotro the credit for us winning and in the other its henderson who sat anderson. Who i might ask, at the end of the season would have you sat for anderson? or hatcher for that matter, who had more than enough opportunity to show his worth. Do you honestly think, asking again, that henderson didn't ask gotro for his opinion on the lineup??? and if the answer is yes then i give up. Cause you are wrong. again.

I’d say Henderson was the one who consistently played Skelton at Catcher when Gilbert was better both defensively and offensively and I would have given Anderson a ton more at bats throughout the year at the DH slot when facing left handed hitters and given him more reps in the outfield as well. He has a ton of upside. Perhaps had we given more at bats to Anderson and Hatcher we could have gone to them in PH situations when Rowdy and Allen were both batting .086 in the CWS yet we kept them in the 2 and 3 hole. We really didn’t do anything in the hit and run game and also really didn’t steal that many bases. We also for some odd reason had players coach the first base side. To me all of these things ultimately fall on the head coach or should. Gautreau definitely did wonders with our approach and hitting and I’m sure he had a ton of input on the offense but the buck stops with the HC and I think Henderson did dictate who started and was involved in the batting order as well.

shoeless joe
06-27-2018, 05:04 PM
I’d say Henderson was the one who consistently played Skelton at Catcher when Gilbert was better both defensively and offensively and I would have given Anderson a ton more at bats throughout the year at the DH slot when facing left handed hitters and given him more reps in the outfield as well. He has a ton of upside. Perhaps had we given more at bats to Anderson and Hatcher we could have gone to them in PH situations when Rowdy and Allen were both batting .086 in the CWS yet we kept them in the 2 and 3 hole. We really didn’t do anything in the hit and run game and also really didn’t steal that many bases. We also for some odd reason had players coach the first base side. To me all of these things ultimately fall on the head coach or should. Gautreau definitely did wonders with our approach and hitting and I’m sure he had a ton of input on the offense but the buck stops with the HC and I think Henderson did dictate who started and was involved in the batting order as well.

Those starters did a damn good job of equaling our second best finish in program history. Glad to see Henderson get some credit here...