PDA

View Full Version : When Did Gautreau Know About Lemonis

confucius say
06-25-2018, 04:32 PM
We lost Sat night.
By Sunday night Lemonis was reported as the new coach with JG staying.
I'm not buying that Lemonis talked to JG extensively enough between Sat night and Sunday to know he wanted JG to stay on the staff. I think the two had likely already talked and JG knew what was up.

preachermatt83
06-25-2018, 04:41 PM
We lost Sat night.
By Sunday night Lemonis was reported as the new coach with JG staying.
I'm not buying that Lemonis talked to JG extensively enough between Sat night and Sunday to know he wanted JG to stay on the staff. I think the two had likely already talked and JG knew what was up.

I bet you are correct. I suspect this has been done for atleast a few days.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-25-2018, 05:07 PM
I doubt Cohen would want to distract Gautreau when we're prepping/playing for a chance to be in the national championship. And if word were to get to the players/Henderson that it was happening that would be a massive distraction/disruption to the team, again, while we're a game away from the national championship.

The baseball coaching circle seems to be extremely tight. So I think a better theory would be that the two were already familiar with each other, Cohen asked Lemonis to give him a serious look because he thinks he's a great assistant coach, Lemonis and Gautreau talked/interviewed on Sunday after the season was over, Lemonis agreed with Cohen.

I hope keeping Gautreau wasn't a requirement in Lemonis taking the job because I don't know that it sets a good precedent.

yjnkdawg
06-25-2018, 05:48 PM
I doubt Cohen would want to distract Gautreau when we're prepping/playing for a chance to be in the national championship. And if word were to get to the players/Henderson that it was happening that would be a massive distraction/disruption to the team, again, while we're a game away from the national championship.

The baseball coaching circle seems to be extremely tight. So I think a better theory would be that the two were already familiar with each other, Cohen asked Lemonis to give him a serious look because he thinks he's a great assistant coach, Lemonis and Gautreau talked/interviewed on Sunday after the season was over, Lemonis agreed with Cohen.

I hope keeping Gautreau wasn't a requirement in Lemonis taking the job because I don't know that it sets a good precedent.I can't see Cohen giving an ultimatum on this, but more like a recommendation that he would like for Gautreau to be considered. It had been said a little while back that Gautreau would remain on the staff. I think most coaching candidates would see that Gautreau would be a positive to their potential coaching staff. So I don't see him staying would cause a conflict or an issue, with a potential coaching candidate. Cohen has been there and done that, and he sure wouldn't have wanted the AD or someone else to tell him who he was going to hire for his assistant coaches. Bottom line - If a coach is going to be responsible for a baseball program, and be evaluated on wins and losses, post season play, etc. then it doesn't make sense for somebody else to call the shots on his assistant hires. Very few coaches would go into a situation like that.

confucius say
06-25-2018, 07:42 PM

I hope keeping Gautreau wasn't a requirement in Lemonis taking the job because I don't know that it sets a good precedent.

So your theory is they talked, for the first time, some time by 2:00 pm (when team got home) and 10:00 pm Sunday? On the phone (bc Lemonis flew into starkville Monday)? Not buying.

Guarantee you JG knew what was going down and Hindu didn't (awkward)...

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-25-2018, 08:43 PM
So your theory is they talked, for the first time, some time by 2:00 pm (when team got home) and 10:00 pm Sunday? On the phone (bc Lemonis flew into starkville Monday)? Not buying.

Guarantee you JG knew what was going down and Hindu didn't (awkward)...

If they knew each other beforehand, maybe, but fair enough. I just can't imagine Cohen doing that with the risk of it leaking to the team/rest of staff.

Coach34
06-25-2018, 08:46 PM
cohen told Lemon GoTro was part of the package
GoTro had no idea we were hiring Lemon until Sunday afternoon.

Cohen imposing his will on our new hire and on GoTro will be interesting watching to play out

shoeless joe
06-25-2018, 09:12 PM

Cohen imposing his will on our new hire and on GoTro will be interesting watching to play out

How would Cohen know that gotro was willing to stay no matter who was hired? He had to have known something

Dawg2003
06-25-2018, 10:05 PM

I hope that’s not true, but I had actually theorized that no elite head coach wanted the job because Cohen would be overbearing, specifically that he was insisting Gautreau stay. I’m certainly glad Gautreau is staying, but I hope Cohen isn’t meddling. Someone else made the point that Cohen isn’t meddling because the Cann situation got out of hand.

TXDawg
06-25-2018, 10:24 PM

Bullshit.

No way Gautreau stays if he felt Cohen was “imposing his will” regarding his retention. Do you really think Cohen said “you’re staying” and Gautreau said “uhhh...OK.”

Todd4State
06-26-2018, 12:56 AM

With the NCAA about to approve a third assistant (I think) it will be a lot easier for this to work out.