PDA

View Full Version : So has anybody thought about the fact that Henderson was on staff during the crap

Tbonewannabe
06-25-2018, 12:40 PM
All of this Canny not doing his job and letting the program go into the shitter, Henderson was supposed to be his right hand man. I realize Canny was technically his boss but did Henderson try and steer the guy out of the ditch? Multiple people have said the hitters had no identity but the pitchers didn't exactly look great either and that was Henderson's job.

If Canny was as checked out as he seemed to be, was Henderson stepping up before he was fired? I really have no clue but we looked like a team completely void of leadership for over a month into the season. It wasn't like as soon as Henderson was named the team stepped up.

BrunswickDawg
06-25-2018, 12:57 PM
Good point. I doubt we will ever know though because Hendo doesn't seem the type to air the dirty laundry.

Turfdawg67
06-25-2018, 12:59 PM
Maybe it was Henderson that went to Cohen after the USM debacle? Maybe it was the last of 20 talks with Cohen regarding Cannizzaro? Maybe Cohen was turning a blind eye until he couldn't any longer? Maybe your dislike for Henderson shouldn't be clouding your judgement of the man's character? Maybe, maybe, maybe...

Tbonewannabe
06-25-2018, 01:26 PM
Maybe it was Henderson that went to Cohen after the USM debacle? Maybe it was the last of 20 talks with Cohen regarding Cannizzaro? Maybe Cohen was turning a blind eye until he couldn't any longer? Maybe your dislike for Henderson shouldn't be clouding your judgement of the man's character? Maybe, maybe, maybe...

All I am saying is that Henderson didn't exactly take the bull by the horns when it should have been obvious the team was in a downward spiral going into the season. We will probably never know. It wasn't necessarily Henderson's job to make sure his boss was doing what he needed to. Henderson seems like a guy who would be loyal. He might have tried to help Canny but there just wasn't any helping him. Canny created a toxic environment which would be hard to combat.

Henderson did a great job getting the team back on track but we can't base giving a guy the job based on a two month run of walk offs fueled by grit and determination. It would be different if Henderson's UK teams were known for that but as far as I have seen, these players just had that in their DNA.

Dawg2003
06-25-2018, 04:08 PM
I wondered if Hendo wasn?t the one to give the goods that got Cann fired in an attempt to get the job. Is that too much of a conspiracy theory? I wonder when Hendo decided he wanted the job? Is he surprised he didn?t get it? Does he hate Cohen now?

Something else that occurred to me is how our pitching was so bad at times, and that was Hendo?s job. No disrespect to the players that gave it 100%, but it was hard to watch us pitch.

MagicDawg
06-25-2018, 04:13 PM
I think it speaks to Cohen's devotion to getting this right that he was willing to deal with the potential fallout of his decision on his relationship with Henderson.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 06:19 PM
I wondered if Hendo wasn?t the one to give the goods that got Cann fired in an attempt to get the job. Is that too much of a conspiracy theory? I wonder when Hendo decided he wanted the job? Is he surprised he didn?t get it? Does he hate Cohen now?

Something else that occurred to me is how our pitching was so bad at times, and that was Hendo?s job. No disrespect to the players that gave it 100%, but it was hard to watch us pitch.

I don't think so because Cann and Gautreau were good friends so had Henderson done something like that I would think that would have been a major rift on the staff. And I think Cohen would have picked up on something like that when they did the investigation. Plus Cann hasn't disputed anything publicly.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 06:20 PM
I think it speaks to Cohen's devotion to getting this right that he was willing to deal with the potential fallout of his decision on his relationship with Henderson.

He loves MSU more than Henderson.

Tbonewannabe
06-25-2018, 06:24 PM

I don't think Henderson really wanted the job until the run we went on. I wonder if we hadn't made the postseason if Henderson would have still lobbied for the job. Cohen had to talk him into coming to MSU, it was almost like he was doing it as a favor to Cohen.

yjnkdawg
06-25-2018, 06:50 PM

You are way out in left field on this Henderson trying to get the job by having Cann fired. I'm not saying that Henderson didn't go to Cohen along with some of our players, but Henderson was not campaigning to have Cann fired so he could become our interim head coach or head coach. Cann's actions were disrupting our whole baseball program. Henderson was hired to be our pitching coach, and that's what he liked. Not many head coaches can be a head coach and a pitching coach too. It is very difficult to try to focus on both. Now to say this. Henderson was not my first choice to be our new head coach, but I trust in Cohen knowing what is best for our baseball program, past, present, and future moving forward.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 07:04 PM
I don't think Henderson really wanted the job until the run we went on. I wonder if we hadn't made the postseason if Henderson would have still lobbied for the job. Cohen had to talk him into coming to MSU, it was almost like he was doing it as a favor to Cohen.

This is what I suspect too. I never heard Henderson ever say anything publicly until we beat Vandy in the SR.

He may have been sending a message to his assistants that he was trying to help them stay by wanting to stay. I bet if he lands a job he will bring Brown and AJ with him. He has reasons as to why he might want to keep goodwill going with those guys.

Dawg2003
06-25-2018, 10:18 PM
You are way out in left field on this Henderson trying to get the job by having Cann fired. I'm not saying that Henderson didn't go to Cohen along with some of our players, but Henderson was not campaigning to have Cann fired so he could become our interim head coach or head coach. Cann's actions were disrupting our whole baseball program. Henderson was hired to be our pitching coach, and that's what he liked. Not many head coaches can be a head coach and a pitching coach too. It is very difficult to try to focus on both. Now to say this. Henderson was not my first choice to be our new head coach, but I trust in Cohen knowing what is best for our baseball program, past, present, and future moving forward.

I don’t really think Hendo would do that either, but it was something that popped into my head that I found interesting to think about.

Cooterpoot
06-25-2018, 10:21 PM
I thought Lee Begley was on staff.

ETDawg
06-26-2018, 10:55 AM
I thought Lee Begley was on staff.

Maybe; or maybe staff was on/in Lee Begley

Coldsleeve Jr.
06-26-2018, 12:37 PM
From what I heard at the time, Hendo was running all scrimmages and practices bc Cann was on his phone all the time. Some players complained to Cohen and Hendo told Cohen the week before USM he couldn't work in this environment anymore and spilled the beans. Cohen asked Hendo to keep track of Cann on his phone during USM series.

And we know how that went. No clue if true but that's what I was told.

Tbonewannabe
06-26-2018, 12:44 PM
From what I heard at the time, Hendo was running all scrimmages and practices bc Cann was on his phone all the time. Some players complained to Cohen and Hendo told Cohen the week before USM he couldn't work in this environment anymore and spilled the beans. Cohen asked Hendo to keep track of Cann on his phone during USM series.

And we know how that went. No clue if true but that's what I was told.

Sounds correct, it would be hard to essentially bust your boss especially if he liked Canny at all. So we were down a coach for the entire time, not just during the season.