PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Style

MoreCowbell
06-25-2018, 10:02 AM
Does anybody have any knowledge of Lemonis coaching style/philosophy? I have seen IU fans say he plays an aggressive style of ball especially on the basepaths and likes to put pressure on the defense. Anybody have anything else to add? Starting to warm up to the hire. I think this hire has a chance to either be a grand slam or a bunt pop up to the catcher for the third out with RISP. No in between.

preachermatt83
06-25-2018, 10:12 AM
Just from the few times I watched Indiana play I took a few things away
1- He is very intense
2- He will go off on an umpire in a heartbeat
3- He’s animated as he communicates
4- he embraces everyone of his players after a loss

AlSwearengen
06-25-2018, 10:20 AM
I saw an interview with him and he mentioned that he didn’t like to bunt much, especially when you can steal the base. Also mentioned the guy could hit it out of the park. Sounds like he likes to run.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-25-2018, 10:24 AM
Sigh. Alright, I'm coming around. Still don't know it he'll win here long term, but at least our team will show life

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 10:30 AM
Shotgun has some good videos that he posted last night where Lemonis described his philosophy.

He likes to be aggressive and put pressure on the defense but also wants power in the lineup. He is big on pitching and defense too. Indiana led the Big 10 in defense this year.

KOdawg1
06-25-2018, 10:34 AM
I like the aggressive baserunning part.

We have some speed on our team, might as well use it.

Leroy Jenkins
06-25-2018, 10:45 AM
I feel better than I did yesterday. I'm just apprehensive because, generally, fat people are not very disciplined or detail oriented.

Lord McBuckethead
06-25-2018, 11:02 AM
Shotgun has some good videos that he posted last night where Lemonis described his philosophy.

He likes to be aggressive and put pressure on the defense but also wants power in the lineup. He is big on pitching and defense too. Indiana led the Big 10 in defense this year.

I am on board, but just to reiterate.
He likes to put pressure on the opposing pitcher/catcher.
He likes to hit the ball far.
He likes to pitch well and play defense.

But... How does he A)come up with this stuff and B)Feel about shifting our players out of position?

Cooterpoot
06-25-2018, 11:06 AM
Just from the few times I watched Indiana play I took a few things away
1- He is very intense
2- He will go off on an umpire in a heartbeat
3- He’s animated as he communicates
4- he embraces everyone of his players after a loss

So you're saying we hired Vann Stuedeman?

Really Clark?
06-25-2018, 11:13 AM
I feel better than I did yesterday. I'm just apprehensive because, generally, fat people are not very disciplined or detail oriented.

Yeah...we are an engineering school and if you use weight as a criteria you will have passed up tons of impressive very detailed and disciplined workers in that field. That is stigma that research has refuted in general. And you also eliminate nearly 2/3rds if the work force just on that criteria alone. I?ve seen weight issues and how it relates to discipline and hard work be a much bigger issue as society as a whole across the board. Skinny or fat, you get some of the exact same lazy and disorganized people. It?s not a weight thing. Also, some of the absolute most successful brilliant people I?ve been around were not organized at all with their entire life.

msstate7
06-25-2018, 11:14 AM
I saw an interview with him and he mentioned that he didn’t like to bunt much, especially when you can steal the base. Also mentioned the guy could hit it out of the park. Sounds like he likes to run.

They sac bunted 42 times to our 33.

They stole a lot more, 72/97; we had 34/46

dawgs
06-25-2018, 11:53 AM

Wat?

MarketingBully
06-25-2018, 12:05 PM

We generally didn’t hit and run, steal, or do anything that would resemble a strategy on the bases. Hell, I bet we were the only team in Division 1 baseball that had players as the first base coach.

HoopsDawg
06-25-2018, 12:12 PM

Ugh, 97 stolen bases attempts. That's not good strategy in 2018. That's 25 outs he gave away stealing bases. Another 42 outs with bunts.

CadaverDawg
06-25-2018, 12:38 PM

Did they have as many runners thrown out on the bases by pick off or shitty baserunning? That's been a problem for us since Polk left

DawgFromOxford
06-25-2018, 12:41 PM
Ugh, 97 stolen bases attempts. That's not good strategy in 2018. That's 25 outs he gave away stealing bases. Another 42 outs with bunts.

Sure its 25 outs. But if those 72 stolen bases equate to more runs in a game then its a good risk/reward if you ask me. Plus thats only 1 out every other game if you average it out across the season. 42 sac bunts does seem high but if equates to runs and not just outs then I'm more accepting. Nothing worse than seeing us sac bunt only to strand the guy at second.

The Federalist Engineer
06-25-2018, 12:51 PM
Another little detail:

When he was at Louisville, they were in the AAC. They joined the ACC after he left.

Lemonis has never coached in a premier conference and probably has never see a crowd that paid for their tickets in a non-regional game.

MarketingBully
06-25-2018, 12:54 PM
Another little detail:

When he was at Louisville, they were in the AAC. They joined the ACC after he left.

Lemonis has never coached in a premier conference and probably has never see a crowd that paid for their tickets in a non-regional game.

Who gives a shit. He’s our coach. Get behind it.

CadaverDawg
06-25-2018, 01:03 PM

Yeah, I wish he was a workout warrior that devoted his life to working out and taking gym selfies.*

Jarius
06-25-2018, 01:08 PM

I don't know why this made me chuckle.

HoopsDawg
06-25-2018, 01:14 PM

Same.

Really Clark?
06-25-2018, 01:15 PM
Another little detail:

Conference means less in baseball to a degree, especially since Louisville was winning regionals and made 3 CWS appearances while in the Big East and AAC. Not to mention winning the ACC for 4 straight years including their first year in.

OneArmSteve
06-25-2018, 01:35 PM

Also, perhaps, less likely to attract hot blondes from the opposite sex....

Leroy Jenkins
06-25-2018, 08:28 PM

Glad I could help.

Also, perhaps, less likely to attract hot blondes from the opposite sex....

True. True.