PDA

View Full Version : And as bad as I hate to say it, Ron Polk is somewhere laughing his ass off

Saltydog
06-25-2018, 09:05 AM
over all this.

The Federalist Engineer
06-25-2018, 09:12 AM
Add Manieri, Bianco, Van Horn, Butch, Mingo, Childress, O'Sullivan....to list of people laughing their ass off.

For a while there, they thought they were going to be dealing with a Saban situation in Starkville. Nope, it's a Shula situation.

But maybe this Lemonis will be great, time will tell. It's not his fault that we could not pull a rock-star. He can make me feel better if he gets an Allan Dunn (LSU) or Nate Yeskie (Oregon State) level pitching coach.

For the record, I am now a supporter. I have to be, cause I can't switch teams.

msstatelp1
06-25-2018, 09:20 AM
For a while there, they thought they were going to be dealing with a Saban situation in Starkville. Nope, it's a Shula situation.

I think we are dealing with a Saban situation. Young head coach with good credentials coming from the Big 10 taking over a good SEC team. Sounds just like Saban coming from Michigan State to LSU and we know how that turned out.

preachermatt83
06-25-2018, 09:22 AM
I think we are dealing with a Saban situation. Young head coach with good credentials coming from the Big 10 taking over a good SEC team. Sounds just like Saban coming from Michigan State to LSU and we know how that turned out.

Nice analogy

Saltydog
06-25-2018, 09:22 AM
of that is due to Cohen's comments. I think the guy is good but we were expecting to get someone "great". None of that is his fault. He better know coming in though that expectations will be high and he will have to produce quickly or he'll lose the fan base quickly. The worst thing that could've have happened to him is our CWS run.

DownwardDawg
06-25-2018, 09:25 AM
Our fan base is apparently full of ******s. Good God.

MarketingBully
06-25-2018, 09:27 AM

I’d say Saltydog is extra salty today.

BeastMan
06-25-2018, 09:28 AM
What does Ron Polk have to do with anything?

MoreCowbell
06-25-2018, 09:34 AM
How is Lemonis pronounced correctly?

BulldogDX55
06-25-2018, 09:43 AM
Folks on another board are saying it is Le-MOH-nis

The Federalist Engineer
06-25-2018, 09:46 AM

Except that the B10 is actually awesome in football. They are mid majors in baseball. Even USM would dominate the big 10 in baseball.

Turfdawg67
06-25-2018, 09:53 AM

Or it could be a Gene Chizik situation...

ShotgunDawg
06-25-2018, 09:54 AM
What does Ron Polk have to do with anything?

Yeah, I'm not getting it either.

If anyone thing Raffo was the right guy, they are kidding themselves.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 10:04 AM
My thing is I don't see how as a fan you can support Lemonis and not support Cohen's decision because he ran his mouth?

Be mad at Cohen for running his mouth? Absolutely. I get it.

But we need to forgive Cohen pretty quickly before we sabotage our program again- like 2009. And that's why I think Cohen needs to say something genuine about learning a lesson and us not get some BS spin about "but he was an assistant in Omaha".

Tbonewannabe
over all this.

So Polk is laughing because we didn't hire Raffo who has been mediocre at Arkansas State? We have had almost as much success since Polk left as when he was here. Actually more if you count that he never played for the title like Cohen.

MoreCowbell

Thanks. Much easier than what I was telling people

preachermatt83
06-25-2018, 10:06 AM
How is Lemonis pronounced correctly?

lay-MOAN-is

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 10:25 AM
So Polk is laughing because we didn't hire Raffo who has been mediocre at Arkansas State? We have had almost as much success since Polk left as when he was here. Actually more if you count that he never played for the title like Cohen.

All I know is I was laughing in Omaha in 2013 when Renfroe was rounding the bases. And this year too. Cohen at a bare minimum made us relevant again- and got us at least past Ole Miss and USM by the time he retired and this transition period ended.

Polk was the real loser there.

Ari Gold
06-25-2018, 10:58 AM
If they were laughing it was back in Feb , and I doubt they were laughing too hard just a few days ago

Ari Gold
06-25-2018, 11:00 AM
Add Manieri, Bianco, Van Horn, Butch, Mingo, Childress, O'Sullivan....to list of people laughing their ass off.

But maybe this Lemonis will be great, time will tell. It's not his fault that we could not pull a rock-star. He can make me feel better if he gets an Allan Dunn (LSU) or Nate Yeskie (Oregon State) level pitching coach.

Outside of Manieri and Sully what have these guys done to laugh about .. ( Van Horn better get his this week)

Ari Gold
06-25-2018, 11:01 AM

Well if he brings us a Natty I will take it

DogsofAnarchy
06-25-2018, 11:06 AM

Some of it is Discourse by Design and the other part of the negativity is a bunch of pansy ass ******s who never sniffed a baseball or the grass it’s played on.

DogsofAnarchy
06-25-2018, 11:09 AM
of that is due to Cohen's comments. I think the guy is good but we were expecting to get someone "great". None of that is his fault. He better know coming in though that expectations will be high and he will have to produce quickly or he'll lose the fan base quickly. The worst thing that could've have happened to him is our CWS run.

Oh yea, I’m sure he is all worried about what he, “BETTER KNOW.” Spare my ass, some of you have no clue and your discourse hurts MSU, it doesn’t help.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 11:12 AM
Oh yea, I’m sure he is all worried about what he, “BETTER KNOW.” Spare my ass, some of you have no clue and your discourse hurts MSU, it doesn’t help.

Yep. Cohen will be fine. Moorhead will win big and even his worst hire made a SR. And I think Lemonis will do well here also.

Anonymous
06-25-2018, 11:25 AM
Honestly, this is a great situation with a lot of upside and no risk. Great recruiter, so if it works then great, you know the talent is going to be elite. it doesn't then you promote Gautreau and have a stacked deck.

The only downside to a bigger name was going to be innevitably losing Jake. If you pay a guy 1.5+ you're going to be stuck with that hire for at least 4 years and lose your assistant and potential HCIW over that time.

So with this scenario we eliminate the worst case scenario. Which would be hiring a big name, who may or may not be able to recruit here, failing and us being left with nothing in the tank after he's gone. (Which is basically what happened with Polk 2.0)

LC Dawg
06-25-2018, 11:27 AM
I keep seeing where people think Cohen should explain himself to the fanbase because of what he said during the coaching search. Cohen will explain himself but he will explain himself to a select group of fans and that will be the fans with the largest checkbooks.
Normal athletic donors (or non-donor fans) demanding an explanation from the AD is comical. Cohen is responsible for wins and money. If the new coach wins the money will keep coming in. If the new coach does not win Cohen will have to make a decision and he will again explain himself to certain people.
Remember how we fired our baseball coach 3 games into the season and Cohen held a press conference and explained to everyone exactly what happened?

MarketingBully
06-25-2018, 11:29 AM

Odds are good Butch and Ming will both be fired in the next five years. If I were them, I?d be more worried about winning just enough to get a better gig. Those are both shit jobs.

MarketingBully
06-25-2018, 11:31 AM
Well if he brings us a Natty I will take it

Lol yeah, love when they say Gene Chizik. Chizik won a natty.

Jack Lambert
06-25-2018, 11:34 AM

Whats the deepest Polk ever got in the CWS?

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 11:36 AM

1985. 2-2.

smootness
06-25-2018, 11:37 AM
LOL you did not hate to say that. You loved saying that.

MedDawg
06-25-2018, 11:39 AM

So he gets Ginn to campus, wins a national championship, tanks for a couple years, then we hire another coach that takes us to the finals. I'll take it.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 11:42 AM
So he gets Ginn to campus, wins a national championship, tanks for a couple years, then we hire another coach that takes us to the finals. I'll take it.

Awesome!

That's how you do message board posting.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-25-2018, 11:43 AM
over all this.

I would be willing to bet that Polk don't give a shit.

Anonymous
06-25-2018, 11:45 AM

Specifically, we would hire Gautreau in this scenario. Which is what I was getting at, there really is no downside to this hire.

Also, Chiz was 2-10 the previous season when AU hired him, Lem just won 40 games. This ain't that bad guys.

Turfdawg67
06-25-2018, 11:55 AM

Yeah LOL. Cam Newton and a stacked Auburn team won it and Gene Chizik was gone 2 years later. Exact same thing could happen here and my analogy would be correct, closer to Chizik than Saban.

Jarius
06-25-2018, 11:56 AM
Um....Gene Chizik was a complete failure before he was hired at Auburn. This guy has been to 3 regionals in 4 years at a non baseball school. According to Wiki (I know but still), he has 3 of their 8 regional appearances ever....he did that in 4 years.

Turfdawg67
06-25-2018, 12:04 PM
Awesome!

That's how you do message board posting.

Bullsh*t. You ppl talk out of both ends to fit your argument. Now it's okay to win a Natty and then not worry about the future?? Then ****ing keep the HC that just took you there! His great assistants and the whole team - that love him BTW - will be back and we'd make another run for a Natty. Then if he falters down the road you replace him with Jake.

Turfdawg67
06-25-2018, 12:08 PM
Um....Gene Chizik was a complete failure before he was hired at Auburn. This guy has been to 3 regionals in 4 years at a non baseball school. According to Wiki (I know but still), he has 3 of their 8 regional appearances ever....he did that in 4 years.

Um... and it's been stated over and over in multiple threads that he inherited a great situation and hasn't improved the situation at all. The great recruiter hasn't finished above 30 and doesn't even finish top in the conference... in record or recruiting.

msbulldog
06-25-2018, 12:12 PM

If he has Mississippi State on his jersey, I'm for him!

Tbonewannabe
06-25-2018, 12:31 PM

Same as we got this year.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 12:36 PM
Bullsh*t. You ppl talk out of both ends to fit your argument. Now it's okay to when a Natty and then not worry about the future?? Then ****ing keep the HC that just took you there! His great assistants and the whole team - that love him BTW - will be back and we'd make another run for a Natty. Then if he falters down the road you replace him with Jake.

I was talking about the comparison Gene Chizek.

And I guess you agree with me about Henderson now?

Goldendawg
06-25-2018, 01:25 PM
Except that the B10 is actually awesome in football. They are mid majors in baseball. Even USM would dominate the big 10 in baseball.

My thoughts exactly. Now behind the hire, but very disappointed in IB's statements about who we would get. It had me expecting a big name that I had heard of. Oh well, as I stated before, I had never heard of JoMo before his hire and that is looking very good so far. Hail State!

Jarius
06-25-2018, 01:33 PM
Um... and it's been stated over and over in multiple threads that he inherited a great situation and hasn't improved the situation at all. The great recruiter hasn't finished above 30 and doesn't even finish top in the conference... in record or recruiting.

He inherited a program that consistently recruits shitty because of where it's at. No one is going to recruit well to Indiana. He recruited lights out at Louisville in the adjusted recruiting rankings. He took over a program that went to a regional the year before and went to 3 more regionals in 4 years to have almost half of the regionals in the school's history. Comparing him to Gene Chizik pre Auburn is just factually incorrect. He's not who I wanted to hire, but he's got a better resume than Gene Chizik ever thought about having before he went to Auburn.

BuckyIsAB****
06-25-2018, 01:36 PM

Doubt it

Turfdawg67
06-25-2018, 01:53 PM
He inherited a program that consistently recruits shitty because of where it's at. No one is going to recruit well to Indiana. He recruited lights out at Louisville in the adjusted recruiting rankings. He took over a program that went to a regional the year before and went to 3 more regionals in 4 years to have almost half of the regionals in the school's history. Comparing him to Gene Chizik pre Auburn is just factually incorrect. He's not who I wanted to hire, but he's got a better resume than Gene Chizik ever thought about having before he went to Auburn.

Glad you added "adjusted" to your reply because Lousiville's recruiting has gone up since he left and Indiana's hasn't improved.

Last I'm saying about Lemonis (at least until y'all start bashing him in a few years, then I'll probably defend him). Hope he wins a 1000 games here over the next 25 years!

wmccgc
06-25-2018, 02:05 PM

How about ?Lemon Ice??

Turfdawg67
06-25-2018, 02:12 PM
How about ?Lemon Ice??

Someone on SPS said that only Cohen could take Lemonis and make him Lemonisade. LOL.

The Federalist Engineer
06-25-2018, 02:59 PM
Outside of Manieri and Sully what have these guys done to laugh about .. ( Van Horn better get his this week)

MSU has top-10 potential next year, but will be coached by a developmental coach instead of an Alpha Predator that could have completely changed the competitive landscape. At least we still have Gautreau

But I hope to be wrong. To soccer fans they see this as Everton hiring David Unsworth this past season

Jarius
06-25-2018, 03:08 PM
Glad you added "adjusted" to your reply because Lousiville's recruiting has gone up since he left and Indiana's hasn't improved.

Last I'm saying about Lemonis (at least until y'all start bashing him in a few years, then I'll probably defend him). Hope he wins a 1000 games here over the next 25 years!

Adjusted is literally the only ones that matter.

Percho
06-25-2018, 03:28 PM
I keep seeing where people think Cohen should explain himself to the fanbase because of what he said during the coaching search. Cohen will explain himself but he will explain himself to a select group of fans and that will be the fans with the largest checkbooks.
Normal athletic donors (or non-donor fans) demanding an explanation from the AD is comical. Cohen is responsible for wins and money. If the new coach wins the money will keep coming in. If the new coach does not win Cohen will have to make a decision and he will again explain himself to certain people.
Remember how we fired our baseball coach 3 games into the season and Cohen held a press conference and explained to everyone exactly what happened?

Thank You.....

RocketDawg
06-25-2018, 07:37 PM

That's exactly how other people I know named Lemonis pronounce it.

fader2103
06-25-2018, 07:54 PM
I know for a fact that Polk wants MSU to do great in baseball. He would love nothing more for us to succeed and win national championships. If you think other wise then 1. You don?t know the guy. B. Not everyone holds grudges. And last. Polk knows he built the foundation for MSU and his name will always be attached to MSU.

dawgoneyall
06-25-2018, 09:27 PM

He bought a natty.

Pit Bull
06-25-2018, 10:34 PM
I pronounce it as..... lemon is as lemon does.

Bothrops
06-25-2018, 10:46 PM
He bought a natty.

This.

And this thread is sad.

sleepy dawg
06-26-2018, 07:44 AM
If anybody's laughing they aren't a Bulldog, I don't care what their history is. That said, I don't think Polk is laughing, but if he is, then be gone with him.

Like Todd said though, our fans need to straighten up pretty quickly. Put this sh*t behind us and move on and support our coaches and AD until it's clear that its not time to support them. That time is not now for any of them.

Jarius
06-26-2018, 10:41 AM
I can understand that people wanted a bigger name (so did I), but it feels like some people think this hire is a failure and we just don't know that at all yet (and I'm willing to bet he will do a good job). Cohen values recruiting over most things from what I've gathered, and it seems like he would know more than anyone on here on how good of a recruiter this guy has been. All of the national baseball "experts" say he's a great recruiter as well. It's ok to have a different opinion, but some people are going overboard, as usual.

State82
06-26-2018, 04:53 PM
I fail to see the relevance in this entire thread, from the beginning.