PDA

View Full Version : Cohen on Bo Bounds

Rick Danko
06-25-2018, 07:28 AM
7:30

Leroy Jenkins
06-25-2018, 07:43 AM
Cohen said "This guy is the most elite recruiter in the country". Hmmmmm.

msstate7
06-25-2018, 07:44 AM
Cohen said "This guy is the most elite recruiter in the country". Hmmmmm.

Hasn't Cohen run his mouth enough?

Rick Danko
06-25-2018, 07:48 AM

So can we put you in the underwhelmed category on this hire....

MarketingBully
06-25-2018, 07:49 AM

Well he did build Louisville from 2007-2014 and went to three CWS with McDonnell. Since he left, Louisville only has been back to the CWS once....Louisville fans were saying they wanted Lemonis if McDonnell left.

Saltydog
06-25-2018, 07:50 AM
just burning up the woods during his tenure. Their trip to the CWS was prior to his arrival.

MarketingBully
06-25-2018, 07:50 AM

He’s msstate7. Of course he’s underwhelmed.

msstate7
06-25-2018, 07:51 AM

I'm not gonna judge till the games. If we judge it on Cohen's promises though...

MarketingBully
06-25-2018, 07:52 AM
just burning up the woods during his tenure. Their trip to the CWS was prior to his arrival.

Indiana is a shitty baseball program and he went to 3 regionals in 4 years.

Saltydog
06-25-2018, 07:54 AM
NT

msstate7
06-25-2018, 07:56 AM
Stolen from dawgstudent on sps...

"From the (Cohen) snippet....

Serious college head coaching experience - No
Made trips to Omaha - Yes as an assistant
Expertise in all facets of the game - ??
Make our fanbase very happy - ??"

Bdawg
06-25-2018, 07:57 AM
John sure seems to put and emphasis on recruiting. Cann first and now Semonis, who John thinks is the best. Hey, I like that he's going after a good recruiter. Hope the guy can coach but more importantly develop that talent or hire guys who
can.

ChillOutDog
06-25-2018, 08:03 AM

We need a soyboy only page that you all can go cry together

msstate7
06-25-2018, 08:07 AM
We need a soyboy only page that you all can go cry together

I don't appreciate our AD trolling us. I'm not even really upset we got lemonis, but Cohen should be held accountable for what he promises.

Roy Munson
06-25-2018, 08:11 AM
Stolen from dawgstudent on sps...

"From the (Cohen) snippet....

Serious college head coaching experience - No
Made trips to Omaha - Yes as an assistant
Expertise in all facets of the game - ??
Make our fanbase very happy - ??"

This is some stupid ass shit. How is number 1 a no?

KOdawg1
06-25-2018, 08:17 AM
"Woe is me. John Cohen promised us and didn't keep his promise."

Yall sound like a damn teenage girl. Shit happens. Things change. This is obviously the best guy Cohen could get, so get behind it

BrunswickDawg
06-25-2018, 08:19 AM
This is some stupid ass shit. How is number 1 a no?

When you have convinced yourself that we were going to land a Corbin, Schloss or McDonnell, then 3 regionals in 4 years at a Big10 school isn't "serious head coaching experience"

msstate7
06-25-2018, 08:19 AM

Yall sound like a damn teenage girl. Shit happens. Things change. This is obviously the best guy Cohen could get, so get behind it

People in positions of authority should keep their promises.

KOdawg1
06-25-2018, 08:23 AM
People in positions of authority should keep their promises.
CWS app. - check
Head Coaching exp - check

What exactly did he lie about? He said hall of fame level coaches were interested, not that we would hire one. We got our hopes up and this is what happens when you get your hopes up.

CarolinaDawgs
06-25-2018, 08:23 AM
When you have convinced yourself that we were going to land a Corbin, Schloss or McDonnell, then 3 regionals in 4 years at a Big10 school isn't "serious head coaching experience"

So he wasn't seriously coaching those regional teams? Can you hear yourself?

MarketingBully
06-25-2018, 08:25 AM

It’s obvious that our top choices were Schloss and McDonnell. But when Cohen couldn’t land McDonnell, he probably asked Dan who he would recommend and McDonnell really talked up Lemonis. Cohen did his due diligence on Lemonis interviewed him and obviously came away really impressed. This is a Cohen type hire in line with Moorhead. Personally, I really like the hire and think he will do really well here. I’m sure he will also impress in the press conference as well. He’s a guy who I could see 10+ years here with multiple CWS trips. If he can get the elite talent here like his resume suggests, he will win a Natty here.

BrunswickDawg
06-25-2018, 08:27 AM
So he wasn't seriously coaching those regional teams? Can you hear yourself?

No - what I am saying is is that those who feel like we "deserve" or were "promised" an "Elite" coach are discounting the ability it takes to get Indiana to a regional 3 out of 4 years because he isn't what was "promised".

KOdawg1
06-25-2018, 08:29 AM
It’s obvious that our top choices were Schloss and McDonnell. But when Cohen couldn’t land McDonnell, he probably asked Dan who he would recommend and McDonnell really talked up Lemonis. Cohen did his due diligence on Lemonis interviewed him and obviously came away really impressed. This is a Cohen type hire in line with Moorhead. Personally, I really like the hire and think he will do really well here. I’m sure he will also impress in the press conference as well. He’s a guy who I could see 10+ years here with multiple CWS trips. If he can get the elite talent here like his resume suggests, he will win a Natty here.
+1

GoDawgz
06-25-2018, 08:30 AM
Let the guy at least put the cap on first.

Cooterpoot
06-25-2018, 08:41 AM
Indiana is a shitty baseball program and he went to 3 regionals in 4 years.

Only because the NCAA pulls in northern teams on purpose. He?s struggled to win in a terrible conference. He?s basically a 5th place coach in the worst P5 conference in America. It?s a tremendously underwhelming hire based on his coaching success. He is a good recruiter.

msstate7
06-25-2018, 08:42 AM
Only because the NCAA pulls in northern teams on purpose. He?s struggled to win in a terrible conference. He?s basically a 5th place coach in the worst P5 conference in America. It?s a tremendously underwhelming hire based on his coaching success. He is a good recruiter.

Finish in his conference is concerning to me...
6th
Tie 3rd
6th
5th

Turfdawg67
06-25-2018, 08:46 AM

After sleeping on it and realizing THIS is the right answer, I'm all in. No top coach in the country is coming to MSU, ever... even if we build the best baseball stadium in the country... so be it. And it doesn't just pertain to baseball... Howland was out of coaching, Bellard was a has been & Jackie had baggage. Our hiring will always be either up-and-comers (Mullen) or all we can get (Croom, Ray), hopefully Lemonis will turn out to be more of the former than the ladder.

Saltydog
06-25-2018, 08:46 AM
and he stayed.

msstate7
06-25-2018, 08:47 AM
and he stayed.

How many were offered?

MarketingBully
06-25-2018, 08:48 AM

Boy, man you never give up. I’ll be willing to bet he wins 40+ games next year and you will be proven wrong in the long run on this.

Cooterpoot
06-25-2018, 08:49 AM
Look, anybody can get us to a regional- ANYBODY. Every coach we’ve had has gotten us to either a super or a CWS. Can this guy do more? Doesn’t appear so from his coaching record. But, maybe our resources making him better. Our fans are absolutely split on him, so anything short of a super next year is a failure right off the bat (barring injuries etc.). He’s coming into a demanding job. We’ll find out pretty fast if he can handle it. He certainly can’t be worse than the last baseball hire Cohen made.

msstate7
06-25-2018, 08:50 AM
Boy, man you never give up. I’ll be willing to bet he wins 40+ games next year and you will be proven wrong in the long run on this.

Henderson won 39 starting in an 0-3 hole. 40 wins is expected

MarketingBully
06-25-2018, 08:50 AM
and he stayed.

He will also be fired from Auburn. That was a dumb ass move by Thompson if we offered him. Auburn is a hard place to win at and once he misses two regionals in a row (which he will when turnover happens) he will be fired.

Saltydog
06-25-2018, 08:53 AM
naive to think they weren't. Godwin, I'm not sure on that one at all. Thompson happened and I'll leave it at that.

BulldogBear
06-25-2018, 08:54 AM

I'm more underwhelmed than not, but I'm also behind it. He's they guy so he has my support. So, now let's spend the next decade hosting 7 times, making 5 SRs, 4 trips to CWS and win one or four!

Cooterpoot
06-25-2018, 08:57 AM
Name the coaches that would want their AD on the radio ripping decisions and the play on the field? I think Cohen needs to back off a little. We can handle that on here, LOL.

TXDawg
06-25-2018, 09:02 AM

There?s your problem.

tcdog70
06-25-2018, 09:02 AM
John sure seems to put and emphasis on recruiting. Cann first and now Semonis, who John thinks is the best. Hey, I like that he's going after a good recruiter. Hope the guy can coach but more importantly develop that talent or hire guys who
can.

Just how much Xing and Oing is there in baseball. It is about players and most importantly pitchers. He with the best pitchers win the game. So an elite recruiter is the ticket. Sign the best be the best. Fill in the lineup card and put them out on the diamond

preachermatt83
06-25-2018, 09:03 AM
CWS app. - check
Head Coaching exp - check

What exactly did he lie about? He said hall of fame level coaches were interested, not that we would hire one. We got our hopes up and this is what happens when you get your hopes up.

Good post

msstate7
06-25-2018, 09:03 AM
There?s your problem.

Well I guess he should have blew off what Cohen was selling us.

tcdog70
06-25-2018, 09:04 AM
I don't appreciate our AD trolling us. I'm not even really upset we got lemonis, but Cohen should be held accountable for what he promises.

Now 7 I've been with you here lately, but don't go off the chain. He is held accountable every day . I will Trust this choice and I say welcome aboard , now get the 17 after it.

msstate7
Just how much Xing and Oing is there in baseball. It is about players and most importantly pitchers. He with the best pitchers win the game. So an elite recruiter is the ticket. Sign the best be the best. Fill in the lineup card and put them out on the diamond

Kentucky has the most mlb draft picks of anyone this season. They missed a regional. How do you explain this then?

preachermatt83

Truth!

HoopsDawg
06-25-2018, 09:05 AM
This hire is a major disappointment to me. I'm going to pout for a day then I will get behind it. But Cohen better pray Moorhead wins at least 9 regular season games this year.

tcdog70
06-25-2018, 09:10 AM
Kentucky has the most mlb draft picks of anyone this season. They missed a regional. How do you explain this then?

They got screwed, they should have been in.

msstatelp1
06-25-2018, 09:14 AM
Name the coaches that would want their AD on the radio ripping decisions and the play on the field? I think Cohen needs to back off a little. We can handle that on here, LOL.

You must not have watched that game. If Cohen was on the fence at all about Henderson, that game would have sealed it in the NO category.

msstate7
06-25-2018, 09:18 AM
You must not have watched that game. If Cohen was on the fence at all about Henderson, that game would have sealed it in the NO category.
I would hope his mind was not made up on one game

msstatelp1
06-25-2018, 09:22 AM

I doubt he did but it could have been the final nail in the coffin.

MetEdDawg
06-25-2018, 09:25 AM

The first half of this post is why I mostly never listen to baseball opinions during and after games on this board. Do you actually believe that there aren't a lot of X's and O's in baseball? That's just a poor poor take.

Yes it's important to hire an elite recruiter. But if you can't manage the game of baseball your elite talent will come short every time. That's why there are only a few of the same good teams every year. Those teams have found people that can do both.

Turfdawg67
06-25-2018, 09:33 AM
Truth!

Not to derail the thread but how many of your posts are "+1", "Truth" and/or "This"? I'm guessing half. Is that just to get your count up?

MoreCowbell
06-25-2018, 09:36 AM
This hire is a major disappointment to me. I'm going to pout for a day then I will get behind it. But Cohen better pray Moorhead wins at least 9 regular season games this year.

I want 10 wins. We are better than everyone on paper but Alabama but can live with a slip up to someone else.

BrunswickDawg
06-25-2018, 09:36 AM

That's baseball.

Cooterpoot
06-25-2018, 09:39 AM

I'm not speaking of hiring Henderson. I didn't want Henderson. I'm just saying we have a freaking demanding, big time job and our AD adds to the pressure by getting on the radio and doing that. If I'm a big time coach, I don't want the previous coach and current AD doing that. Do I love to hear it? Sure. But not if I'm the coach. John needs to back off on that kind of stuff, just like running his mouth about the hiring process. He's passionate about our program. But he can't let that passion be a negative.

Tbonewannabe
06-25-2018, 10:00 AM

Just like you can't hire based on one post season run that was sustained by walk off HRs.

BuckyIsAB****
06-25-2018, 01:43 PM
After sleeping on it and realizing THIS is the right answer, I'm all in. No top coach in the country is coming to MSU, ever... even if we build the best baseball stadium in the country... so be it. And it doesn't just pertain to baseball... Howland was out of coaching, Bellard was a has been & Jackie had baggage. Our hiring will always be either up-and-comers (Mullen) or all we can get (Croom, Ray), hopefully Lemonis will turn out to be more of the former than the ladder.

Moorhead and Mullen were both considered the top OCs in the country at the time. Howland had multiple final 4s and I wasnt alive when Bellard or when Jackie was hired.

I get what you're saying but acting like po dunk MSU cant get anyone isnt true. We couldnt get anyone bc of the good ol boy system and Templeton running our athletic department like a gas station

Goldendawg
06-25-2018, 02:05 PM
Not to derail the thread but how many of your posts are "+1", "Truth" and/or "This"? I'm guessing half. Is that just to get your count up?

Noticed this also. Do the most posts show that you know the most on said topic or is there a contest going on for a new MSU t-shirt?

tcdog70
06-25-2018, 02:18 PM
The first half of this post is why I mostly never listen to baseball opinions during and after games on this board. Do you actually believe that there aren't a lot of X's and O's in baseball? That's just a poor poor take.

Yes it's important to hire an elite recruiter. But if you can't manage the game of baseball your elite talent will come short every time. That's why there are only a few of the same good teams every year. Those teams have found people that can do both.

Of the 3 big sports, baseball is the least about Xing and OIng. The biggest factor in winning is good pitchers. Just how much scheming can a baseball coach do. Bunt or not--steal or not--hit and run or not. How you stack you batting order (that's a crap shoot). Put you best hitter first--duh. Shifts, over rated. Luck has much to do with baseball. When all is said and done--usually the best players win.

smootness
06-25-2018, 02:29 PM
We couldn't get a top coach in baseball because that's not how college baseball works. Coaches don't leave top jobs; they just don't.

BuckyIsAB****
06-25-2018, 02:43 PM
We couldn't get a top coach in baseball because that's not how college baseball works. Coaches don't leave top jobs; they just don't.

Nuh uh its bc Cohen sux and needs to be on the hot seat!!!!!!!!!** Cann was all his fault he cant hire a baseball coach!!!!!!!!!!**

BayouDawg
06-25-2018, 02:44 PM
My two cents. Cohen probably should not have talked up the hire so much, but that is in the past. I do like that we now have an AD that will swing for the fences and go after the big fish instead of settling. Cohen made runs at the top guys and came up empty. Loafers and templeton would have just promoted hendo or hired rafffo.
My point is we now have a guy who goes for broke as our AD. He does not tuck his wiener in and I respect that.

preachermatt83
06-25-2018, 02:59 PM

Nah, just agreeing with the posts. No sense in posting pretty much the exact same thought when I can just agree with it. May I ask why it bothers u so much?

MadDawg
06-25-2018, 03:07 PM

Not just this year. It's two years running that UK has sent more that any other SEC team to the majors. Now I wonder who recruited those guys to UK.....

preachermatt83
06-25-2018, 04:59 PM
Not just this year. It's two years running that UK has sent more that any other SEC team to the majors. Now I wonder who recruited those guys to UK.....

Brad Bohannon

iPat09
06-25-2018, 06:32 PM

You forgot "Yup"

msbulldog
06-25-2018, 07:31 PM
If he has Mississipi State on his jersey, he has my support. If anyone on this thread says anything else, you should be ashamed.

dawgs
06-25-2018, 09:54 PM

I'd hope every hire is the "best guy ____ could get". Who would actively choose someone that don't think is the best choice? The issue is that some folks feel like Cohen could've or should've been able to sell the program to more established and more successful coaches (I agree that we should've been able to land a better coach with our facilities, fan support, admin support, returning roster, and talent committed in the coming years), so it feels like a failure on cohen's part to not be able to sell a guy coaching a program that didn't charge for tix until 2018 that a program with a $65M stadium and every on campus and CWS attendance record in college baseball would be a better place to win a shitload of rings.

Of course I'll root for Lemonis and I hope like hell he wins the natty(-ies) we deserve, but you can't help but wonder why the **** Cohen couldn't sell this job to someone with more established success.

Tbonewannabe
06-26-2018, 08:15 AM
I'd hope every hire is the "best guy ____ could get". Who would actively choose someone that don't think is the best choice? The issue is that some folks feel like Cohen could've or should've been able to sell the program to more established and more successful coaches (I agree that we should've been able to land a better coach with our facilities, fan support, admin support, returning roster, and talent committed in the coming years), so it feels like a failure on cohen's part to not be able to sell a guy coaching a program that didn't charge for tix until 2018 that a program with a $65M stadium and every on campus and CWS attendance record in college baseball would be a better place to win a shitload of rings.

Of course I'll root for Lemonis and I hope like hell he wins the natty(-ies) we deserve, but you can't help but wonder why the **** Cohen couldn't sell this job to someone with more established success.

TCU and Louisville both currently paid their baseball coach more than we did. It isn't like you are talking about us wanting a guy from Memphis. Why didn't Texas get Saban instead of Herman? Texas has more money than Bama in totality. Baseball coaches also rarely leave jobs once they are established. You are also talking about 2 coaches that built their programs over a decade. Both of those guys will probably have their names on the stadium at the end of their career. It isn't as easy as Cohen offering the job or a team like South Carolina would have hired one of them when they replaced Tanner.

dawgs
06-26-2018, 08:45 AM
TCU and Louisville both currently paid their baseball coach more than we did. It isn't like you are talking about us wanting a guy from Memphis. Why didn't Texas get Saban instead of Herman? Texas has more money than Bama in totality. Baseball coaches also rarely leave jobs once they are established. You are also talking about 2 coaches that built their programs over a decade. Both of those guys will probably have their names on the stadium at the end of their career. It isn't as easy as Cohen offering the job or a team like South Carolina would have hired one of them when they replaced Tanner.

If we didn't hire them because of money, then that's on Cohen too. A coach like schloss or McDonnell would pay for themselves many times over. How can a program like Louisville not charge for tickets until 2018 afford that, but we can't afford to pay it plus a little extra even though our baseball program is almost assuredly one of the most profitable in the country and will only get more profitable if we start winning natties?

The problem with the Saban/Texas comparison is that bama provides Saban with everything (and probably more) than Texas could've provided him. Tcu and Louisville can't provide schloss and McDonnell what we could give them. I'm not just talking the coaches contract, I'm taking support from both fans and admin, facilities, atmosphere, the whole 9 yards on top of the contract.

smootness
06-26-2018, 09:03 AM

Show me the last elite coach, who had established himself at a program that he took to multiple CWS, that left for another program.

TrapGame
06-26-2018, 09:05 AM
Show me the last elite coach, who had established himself at a program that he took to multiple CWS, that left for another program.

Exactly! After you've built it why do you want to leave it?

gravedigger
06-26-2018, 09:24 AM

I have no problem with the philosophy of looking for the next 'up and comer'. It's lower priced and relies on the judgement of the AD and not the happiness of the fanbase. If our AD were Strickland, Templeton or someone other than Cohen, I'd be more concerned. We got good coaches under the Ninja and we are going to be fine with Cohen and have the occasional unforeseen bad choice like Cannizarro. I do not think we will see another Polk 2, Ray, Hatfield or Croom hire as long as he is here.

I see this just like I look at recruiting. I understand the fans want high profile, press conference winning names. But lasting success is only marginally associated with fan's expectations prior to a decision.

We want to be seen as a big player and to the extent the name we hire or sign fills that, fans seem to be willing to give a big name player or coach ENTIRELY too much slack in performance.

I'm far more comfortable trusting Cohen will make the correct hires and letting performance rather than prepackaged national recognition be the standard by which we hire. If Cohen were to leave, my mind might change.

Watching Ole Miss burn for chasing rankings (that lead to probation) or names (Houston Nutt) that lead to dashed hopes, makes me wonder if the cumulative desires of fanbases hurt universities more than help them.

I'm not a loyalist. I'm a pragmatist. The proof of the pudding is in the eating of the pudding. Not the label on the ingredients. Not the resume of the chef.

dawgs
06-26-2018, 09:27 AM
Exactly! After you've built it why do you want to leave it?

Because better facilities and more support make it easier to sustain winning and get over the hump at the CWS? A fanbase that will literally regard you the way bama fans regard Saban for 1 natty, much less multiple natties? Does it even count if you win a natty at tcu or Louisville and no one cares (well a few dozen, but you get the point)? Cohen's job was the sell the program and he didn't, now I just hope he identified a young guy who will be what schloss and mcdonnell and Tadlock already are.

dawgs
06-26-2018, 09:34 AM
I have no problem with the philosophy of looking for the next 'up and comer'. It's lower priced and relies on the judgement of the AD and not the happiness of the fanbase. If our AD were Strickland, Templeton or someone other than Cohen, I'd be more concerned. We got good coaches under the Ninja and we are going to be fine with Cohen and have the occasional unforeseen bad choice like Cannizarro. I do not think we will see another Polk 2, Ray, Hatfield or Croom hire as long as he is here.

I see this just like I look at recruiting. I understand the fans want high profile, press conference winning names. But lasting success is only marginally associated with fan's expectations prior to a decision.

We want to be seen as a big player and to the extent the name we hire or sign fills that, fans seem to be willing to give a big name player or coach ENTIRELY too much slack in performance.

I'm far more comfortable trusting Cohen will make the correct hires and letting performance rather than prepackaged national recognition be the standard by which we hire. If Cohen were to leave, my mind might change.

Watching Ole Miss burn for chasing rankings (that lead to probation) or names (Houston Nutt) that lead to dashed hopes, makes me wonder if the cumulative desires of fanbases hurt universities more than help them.

I'm not a loyalist. I'm a pragmatist. The proof of the pudding is in the eating of the pudding. Not the label on the ingredients. Not the resume of the chef.

So you don't think a proven track record matters?

gravedigger
06-26-2018, 09:52 AM

The desire by fans to be immediately gratified by the national exposure is an addictive drug. It just doesn't happen to have much correlation to success. It is VERY risky to go after the next Nick Saben of college baseball. Where are they in their careers? How will they jibe with their new boss? Is MSU a place they really want to be? Do their strengths necessarily match our needs at this moment in time? This is where the wisdom and process of the AD must take over and eliminate those risks even if it means disappointing the fan base. Would a number of dollars change their mind? Well sure. But what would they be required to do to justify that in a literal sense?

I am reminded of Texas A&M's last two football coaching hires. The first was the hottest coach in the country at the time. The name was cause for great hope, but at the end of the day his brand of coaching didnt last in a conference that requires defense and physical dominance. That was plain as day when he was at Houston. They just outscored other teams. In the end, he didnt justify the money he was given because that brand of football didnt work in the SEC. Now they have hired the biggest name experienced football coach. It remains to be seen whether the price they've paid will be justified in Jimbo. I suspect it will not.

Our hire of Moorehead could fail to produce as well, but I'd be scared to death if a school with the resources of A&M or LSU or Florida had him right now.

And this is why I have no reason to believe that the hire Cohen just made for our baseball team isnt ultimately the best one. We have to make these kinds of hires because there is someone out there who always has more money than us to take away the ones who are just about the money and the trophys. We are betting on their loyalty being tied to the success they have at MSU. Not what we can pay in a bidding war or what our potential vs the next school is for winning the grand prize.

SoylentGreen
06-26-2018, 10:04 AM

You need a safe room. AD’s are forbidden to troll in safe rooms. Safe rooms also make snow flakes feel secure and appreciated.

dawgs
06-26-2018, 10:08 AM
The desire by fans to be immediately gratified by the national exposure is an addictive drug. It just doesn't happen to have much correlation to success. It is VERY risky to go after the next Nick Saben of college baseball. Where are they in their careers? How will they jibe with their new boss? Is MSU a place they really want to be? Do their strengths necessarily match our needs at this moment in time? This is where the wisdom and process of the AD must take over and eliminate those risks even if it means disappointing the fan base. Would a number of dollars change their mind? Well sure. But what would they be required to do to justify that in a literal sense?

I am reminded of Texas A&M's last two football coaching hires. The first was the hottest coach in the country at the time. The name was cause for great hope, but at the end of the day his brand of coaching didnt last in a conference that requires defense and physical dominance. That was plain as day when he was at Houston. They just outscored other teams. In the end, he didnt justify the money he was given because that brand of football didnt work in the SEC. Now they have hired the biggest name experienced football coach. It remains to be seen whether the price they've paid will be justified in Jimbo. I suspect it will not.

Our hire of Moorehead could fail to produce as well, but I'd be scared to death if a school with the resources of A&M or LSU or Florida had him right now.

And this is why I have no reason to believe that the hire Cohen just made for our baseball team isnt ultimately the best one. We have to make these kinds of hires because there is someone out there who always has more money than us to take away the ones who are just about the money and the trophys. We are betting on their loyalty being tied to the success they have at MSU. Not what we can pay in a bidding war or what our potential vs the next school is for winning the grand prize.

I only care about winning national title. Coastal ****ing Carolina has won one. Fresno ****ing state has won one. Vandy and Oregon state didn't even know Omaha existed 15 years ago. The distance between a schloss or mcdonnell or a Tadlock to a natty at a program with our resources is not very large. We don't really know with Lemonis. I hope he wins and I hope he wins big, but there is absolutely more uncertainty there. I don't care about winning the press conference, I just c are about winning a ring.

And in baseball, we are second to none when it comes to financial support for the program. Literally second to none. You can't view our pecking order in baseball the same way you do in football or basketball. It's like Kentucky wondering why they can't fire Nick Saban away from bama in football since they can hire John calipari in basketball. They are a/the top dog in CBB, but towards the bottom of the P5 pecking order in football.

Anyway, the discussion started (again) because whoever it was a few pages back incorrectly thinks fans aren't willing to back Lemonis because he isn't mcdonnell or schloss, when that's not it at all, and they fact that he's the "best guy willing to take the job" should shut up a critical discussion of Cohen. The issue is purely how could our AD not sell our program and it's significantly higher ceiling to guys at non-traditional powers who are still chasing their own natty, and imo that's a failure on cohen's part, plain and simple. Lemonis wins big and he's looks like a genius, but that doesn't mean he did a good job selling the program.

smootness
06-26-2018, 10:11 AM
I only care about winning national title. Coastal ****ing Carolina has won't one. Fresno ****ing state has won one. Vandy and Oregon state didn't even know Omaha existed 15 years ago. The distance between a schloss or mcdonnell or a Tadlock to a natty at a program with our resources is not very large. We don't really know with Lemonis. I hope he wins and I hope he wins big, but there is absolutely more uncertainty there. I don't care about winning the press conference, I just c are about winning a ring.

And in baseball, we are second to none when it comes to financial support for the program. Literally second to none. You can't view our pecking order in baseball the same way you do in football or basketball. It's like Kentucky wondering why they can't fire Nick Saban away from bama in football since they can hire John calipari in basketball. They are a/the top dog in CBB, but towards the bottom of the P5 pecking order in football.

You are using Coastal Carolina and Fresno State as evidence that it should be easy for us, but it proves just the opposite.

They prove that anyone can win one. That would comfort us in football or basketball, but it does the opposite in baseball. It would be far easier for us if teams like that couldn't win a title.

gravedigger
06-26-2018, 10:13 AM
So you don't think a proven track record matters?

I do. I just think that being proven at one place does not eliminate or trump other factors. Would Cohen have hired these guys over a few more dollars? Not sure. Would their success vs their current competition translate to MSU's success in the most competitive conference in the country? Maybe proven track records at other schools is a great indicator. But the next great unknown coach is out there. All great ones were at one time. I'm just thinking out chances of success are greater with Cohen if he is free to really use his gut. Long term, that is.

dawgs
06-26-2018, 10:16 AM
You are using Coastal Carolina and Fresno State as evidence that it should be easy for us, but it proves just the opposite.

They prove that anyone can win one. That would comfort us in football or basketball, but it does the opposite in baseball. It would be far easier for us if teams like that couldn't win a title.

Then we need to stop ****ing around win 2 and 3 seeds and start winning 40+ games most every year and hosting regionals to best set us up to make Omaha over and over and over again until we fluke into a ring. If Arkansas wins one this week, that's another program we've let run off and leave us behind that we directly compete against in conference. It's frustrating and we are long overdue. Other than Florida st (which that they haven't won one is a fluke in and of itself), no other program is as overdue as we are.

smootness
06-26-2018, 10:21 AM
Then we need to stop ****ing around win 2 and 3 seeds and start winning 40+ games most every year and hosting regionals to best set us up to make Omaha over and over and over again until we fluke into a ring. If Arkansas wins one this week, that's another program we've let run off and leave us behind that we directly compete against in conference. It's frustrating and we are long overdue. Other than Florida st (which that they haven't won one is a fluke in and of itself), no other program is as overdue as we are.

You complain that we don't put ourselves in position while at the same time saying we are overdue.

Yes, we need to put ourselves in consistent position, that is the goal. Why you think that isn't the goal, I don't know. And I have news for you, Arkansas has been a clearly more successful program over the last 15 years than we have. So you can say they've already run off and left us behind if you want. What does it take to catch up and surpass other programs? The coach. And yes, I know this is your point. But there is no coach who will magically guarantee you a national title. The coaches we all wanted haven't even won one themselves. But it is nearly impossible to get a coach like that in college baseball. It just is. You think there is a sales formula whereby if you're good enough at selling, they will buy. But there is another person in this equation, the buyer. If they don't want to leave, there's nothing you can do.

Cohen got who he felt like was the best coach that was available who could get us to where you want to go. I'm not sure why you're angry.

dawgs
06-26-2018, 10:22 AM
With what we have returning next year and expecting reasonable improvement from our freshmen, there's no excuse for Lemonis to not be competing for a National seed next season. None. Yeah that's high expectations, but we literally have a national championship contending team returning next year, and if we don't put ourselves in position to at least host a regional then that's a failure.

gravedigger
06-26-2018, 10:25 AM
The issue is purely how could our AD not sell our program and it's significantly higher ceiling to guys at non-traditional powers who are still chasing their own natty, and imo that's a failure on cohen's part, plain and simple. Lemonis wins big and he's looks like a genius, but that doesn't mean he did a good job selling the program.

I'm not so sure he couldnt sell it per se, but that he had stipulations that they would not accept. While many might say that reveals a hard headedness that is costing us the big prize, I say it may be that he just isnt willing to compromise certain standards.

You are probably right that we could pay any price based on our history and current facilities. Still, if that is the case, they wouldnt come for some reason and we all know it is not related to the potential to win the National Championship. It must have to do with the way Cohen is framing the job for the incoming coach. If that is the case, I can wait for the immediate gratification of the NC because I think Cohen is building something longer lasting.

I do appreciate the frustration you are expresing. I was in the bullpup club in the late 70's and early 80's and it is long past time for us to have what we have certainly been unlucky not to have achieved. But that frustration has died down for me knowing we have the right man making the decision in our athletic department for all sports and this one in particular.

gravedigger
06-26-2018, 10:26 AM
With what we have returning next year and expecting reasonable improvement from our freshmen, there's no excuse for Lemonis to not be competing for a National seed next season. None. Yeah that's high expectations, but we literally have a national championship contending team returning next year, and if we don't put ourselves in position to at least host a regional then that's a failure.

I agree wholeheartedly

smootness
06-26-2018, 10:33 AM

I disagree with this. We certainly should be a good team, but there are way too many unknowns right now to say that. We still don't even know if we're going to have Small back, and even if we do, what else do we feel confident about in the rotation?

You also can't just expect any clear improvement from the freshmen. Baseball is a weird sport, look at Mangum as a sophomore. They should all still be at least roughly as good as they were this year, but being good as a freshman in no way guarantees that you'll then be even better as a sophomore, at least in terms of results.

ETA: I read your post a little too quickly initially. Yes, I agree that we should be able to at least compete to be a regional host. National seed? I have no idea. I thought you had said we should be competing for a national title (which I guess you basically did).

Anyway, there are just too many variables, certainly this far out. And while we turned it on at the end of the year, it was also the same team that looked terrible for the first half of the year. We can't be entirely certain of which of those teams was more real.

dawgs
06-26-2018, 10:35 AM
You complain that we don't put ourselves in position while at the same time saying we are overdue.

Yes, we need to put ourselves in consistent position, that is the goal. Why you think that isn't the goal, I don't know. And I have news for you, Arkansas has been a clearly more successful program over the last 15 years than we have. So you can say they've already run off and left us behind if you want. What does it take to catch up and surpass other programs? The coach. And yes, I know this is your point. But there is no coach who will magically guarantee you a national title. The coaches we all wanted haven't even won one themselves. But it is nearly impossible to get a coach like that in college baseball. It just is. You think there is a sales formula whereby if you're good enough at selling, they will buy. But there is another person in this equation, the buyer. If they don't want to leave, there's nothing you can do.

Cohen got who he felt like was the best coach that was available who could get us to where you want to go. I'm not sure why you're angry.

We've underachieved relative our commitment to the program.

smootness
06-26-2018, 10:36 AM

I guess. But success is not determined by commitment to the program, that is my entire point.

dawgs
06-26-2018, 10:54 AM
I guess. But success is not determined by commitment to the program, that is my entire point.

So then why spend the money on facilities if it doesn't matter? And that's part of my frustration, because commitment absolutely should be correlated with success more often than not, and pitching that correlation or the potential for the right coach to take our support and turn it into titles should be an easy sell imo, and that's been the whole point, it's not that anyone isn't going to support Lemonis (what choice do we have?), it's that we think the job should be more marketable and that comes down to the guy selling it not doing the strongest job of conveying the potential and the path to reaching that potential to the guys he's offering the job to.

BrunswickDawg
06-26-2018, 11:03 AM

No, we haven't. We have been in the post season 32 times over the past 40 years. That means that we have consistently put ourselves in a position to win a national title - which is our goal every season and all you can really ask of your program. It is shear dumb luck that we haven't won a title yet. We had the best teams in college baseball history in '83 -'85 and couldn't do it. Our 2013 team might rival it because of the quantity of talent and that group couldn't do it. Brent Rooker and Buck Showalter having unique, one of a kind seasons at the plate couldn't get us there. The reality is that tournaments - while fun - are one of the most random ways to decide a national title. And in a sport like baseball where a singular player - the pitcher - can randomly dictate the outcome of a game by having the balls-out day of his life - it's terrible and frustrating. And it has only gotten harder over the past 20 years to do it. You won't ever see runs like USC, or LSU dominating a decade of titles again. You think without the commitment to the program we would have been to those 32 postseasons? No, we would be Indiana.

smootness
06-26-2018, 11:41 AM
So then why spend the money on facilities if it doesn't matter? And that's part of my frustration, because commitment absolutely should be correlated with success more often than not, and pitching that correlation or the potential for the right coach to take our support and turn it into titles should be an easy sell imo, and that's been the whole point, it's not that anyone isn't going to support Lemonis (what choice do we have?), it's that we think the job should be more marketable and that comes down to the guy selling it not doing the strongest job of conveying the potential and the path to reaching that potential to the guys he's offering the job to.

Well, I guess I should clarify. Success seems to be tied more to coaching than to anything else, including fan support, facilities, etc. Now, sure, support and resources should be correlated to the ease of finding and keeping a good coach, but college baseball is a weird animal. Coaches seem far more content to stay where they are in baseball than in other sports. That's still relative, as a program generally needs to at least be in a power conference to be able to retain a great coach, but as long as the school is willing to begin supporting the sport once they start seeing success, it is very difficult to pry a coach from a program they've built, no matter who you are.

Look at a school like Texas. Just a stupid amount of success, plenty of fan support, all the resources you want, and while their stadium isn't as good as ours will be, it's still near the top of the sport. They weren't able to pry Schlossnagle, either. They had to go get David Pierce, who is a promising coach but only had 5 years of HC experience and 0 in a major conference; he'd never been to a SR. But he was promising enough that a school like Baylor probably couldn't have pulled him. Similarly, it likely would have been much tougher for a school like Missouri to pull Lemonis.

Support and resources do give you a higher floor and a higher ceiling, I think. So if Pierce turns out to be elite, for example, he'll blow the roof off at Texas, just like an elite coach would do here. And if he turns out to be mediocre, they'll still be a good program that is more up and down, just like here. So there's more wiggle room and more potential, but it doesn't guarantee you anything, even finding an established coach.

Watch what Florida State does. I can pretty much guarantee you they won't be pulling a McDonnell, Schlossnagle, or Corbin. We apparently came about as close as you can come to prying one of those guys, but even we weren't able to do it. It's just not really an option in college baseball.

Tbonewannabe
06-26-2018, 11:47 AM
Well, I guess I should clarify. Success seems to be tied more to coaching than to anything else, including fan support, facilities, etc. Now, sure, support and resources should be correlated to the ease of finding and keeping a good coach, but college baseball is a weird animal. Coaches seem far more content to stay where they are in baseball than in other sports. That's still relative, as a program generally needs to at least be in a power conference to be able to retain a great coach, but as long as the school is willing to begin supporting the sport once they start seeing success, it is very difficult to pry a coach from a program they've built, no matter who you are.

Look at a school like Texas. Just a stupid amount of success, plenty of fan support, all the resources you want, and while their stadium isn't as good as ours will be, it's still near the top of the sport. They weren't able to pry Schlossnagle, either. They had to go get David Pierce, who is a promising coach but only had 5 years of HC experience and 0 in a major conference; he'd never been to a SR.

Support and resources do give you a higher floor and a higher ceiling, I think. So if Pierce turns out to be elite, for example, he'll blow the roof off at Texas, just like an elite coach would do here. And if he turns out to be mediocre, they'll still be a good program that is more up and down, just like here. So there's more wiggle room and more potential, but it doesn't guarantee you anything, even finding an established coach.

Watch what Florida State does. I can pretty much guarantee you they won't be pulling a McDonnell, Schlossnagle, or Corbin. We apparently came about as close as you can come to prying one of those guys, but even we weren't able to do it. It's just not really an option in college baseball.

The coach at Coastal Carolina has been there forever and has been going to Regionals almost every year for about 20 years. He has been to 3 Super Regionals since 2008, 2008,2010, and 2016. He also won a National Title. This guy is extremely successful but is still at Coastal Carolina. You can't tell me that a big program hasn't gauged his interest but he is still there. Baseball coaches don't change jobs often.

dawgs
06-26-2018, 12:12 PM
No, we haven't. We have been in the post season 32 times over the past 40 years. That means that we have consistently put ourselves in a position to win a national title - which is our goal every season and all you can really ask of your program. It is shear dumb luck that we haven't won a title yet. We had the best teams in college baseball history in '83 -'85 and couldn't do it. Our 2013 team might rival it because of the quantity of talent and that group couldn't do it. Brent Rooker and Buck Showalter having unique, one of a kind seasons at the plate couldn't get us there. The reality is that tournaments - while fun - are one of the most random ways to decide a national title. And in a sport like baseball where a singular player - the pitcher - can randomly dictate the outcome of a game by having the balls-out day of his life - it's terrible and frustrating. And it has only gotten harder over the past 20 years to do it. You won't ever see runs like USC, or LSU dominating a decade of titles again. You think without the commitment to the program we would have been to those 32 postseasons? No, we would be Indiana.

We haven't hosted enough in the super regional era to really say we've put ourselves in the best position to win a CWS or had our on field production match our commitment to the program. Traveling as a 2 seed to someone else's regional far more often than hosting isn't a sustainable way to win a title. Sure you can get hot at the right time some years, but you are much better off consistently winning 40+ and hosting. That means you are good, not getting hot at the right time. One is sustainable and one is not. Plus we have the best home field advantage in the country, that's a huge benefit if we are hosting regionals and supers.

Tbonewannabe
06-26-2018, 12:48 PM
We haven't hosted enough in the super regional era to really say we've put ourselves in the best position to win a CWS or had our on field production match our commitment to the program. Traveling as a 2 seed to someone else's regional far more often than hosting isn't a sustainable way to win a title. Sure you can get hot at the right time some years, but you are much better off consistently winning 40+ and hosting. That means you are good, not getting hot at the right time. One is sustainable and one is not. Plus we have the best home field advantage in the country, that's a huge benefit if we are hosting regionals and supers.

You can look at Omaha almost every year. The teams who host Regionals and or Supers are a lot more likely to make it. We did luck up some with Vandy knocking off Clemson and we definitely benefited with Washington making it. We have to get back to consistently hosting Regionals. It is a lot easier than hoping you get hot at the right time.

dawgs
06-26-2018, 12:52 PM
You can look at Omaha almost every year. The teams who host Regionals and or Supers are a lot more likely to make it. We did luck up some with Vandy knocking off Clemson and we definitely benefited with Washington making it. We have to get back to consistently hosting Regionals. It is a lot easier than hoping you get hot at the right time.

Yep. We should be hosting about 50% of the time, and a National seed about 25% of the time. Those expectations aren't that unreasonable imo.

smootness
06-26-2018, 12:56 PM
Wanna know something crazy? (This is not meant to make an actual point, it's obviously better to be a national seed and consistently hosting than not, just a crazy weird observation)

From 2004-2016, the national title was won by a top 8 seed twice.

That is nuts.

msstate7
06-26-2018, 01:01 PM
Wanna know something crazy? (This is not meant to make an actual point, it's obviously better to be a national seed and consistently hosting than not, just a crazy weird observation)

From 2004-2016, the national title was won by a top 8 seed twice.

That is nuts.

2 in a row now though

BrunswickDawg
06-26-2018, 01:09 PM

Hosting puts you in the best position - no doubt. And I think that should he a goal for every season. But, playing in the SEC has a major impact on our ability to do so. Continually putting 8-10 teams into the post season and the need to spread regionals around the country, combined with SEC fatigue all stack the deck. The years of having 6 SEC based regionals will be rare - if it ever happens again. Even Vandy - which I consider the premier program over the past 15 years - has only hosted 5 times in the Super Regional era. That's 1 more then us. Even UF had to host 8 times in the Supers era before they broke thru and won a title. And is it that much of an advantage to host when you have FSU hosting 35 times and not winning a title? We have also advanced to the Supers 5 times going on the road to do it. We've only made to the Supers 3 out of 4 season when we have hosted.

ETA - seeing your other post of hosting 50% of the time and Supers 25% is I think a reasonable expectation. That's close to what we are right now. If we host next year we will be at 50% for the past 6 years. If we then host a Super, we will have hosted 2 in 4 years

Todd4State
06-26-2018, 01:31 PM

The reality is what gives you the best chance to win a National Title is coaches that can recruit and develop at a high level. Look at the teams that have won recently- Florida and Vanderbilt. The reason those teams have won at a high level despite not having the commitment and facilities and fan support that we do is because they have coaches that have scouting connections that can recruit and develop players- especially pitchers- at a high level. Recently LSU and Arkansas can fall in that category as well- and Arkansas still may win one this year. Oregon State this year has four first round picks and a pitcher that probably would have been a 1-2 had it not been for his criminal history. And sure there are Coastal Carolina's that get hot at the right time and things work out- but Coastal Carolina will always be a mid major just like Pepperdine and Fresno State and not a consistent player in Omaha. And obviously the more you make it to Omaha the better your chances are.

Our 1985 team had how many MLB players on it? Between 1976 and 1990 we were recruiting at an elite level but SEC baseball was not what it is today and the league was still growing. West Coast and Texas baseball was still dominant at that time along with Wichita State and Miami. But the reason we started to underachieve was because of the decisions MSU made around that time which were not conducive to us taking the next step.

Circa 1991- We begged Ron Polk to not retire. Our recruiting suffered after 79-1990 was our best run in school history.

Circa 1994- We did the coach in waiting thing with Pat McMahon who was considered a good coach but not an elite coach. Because that's who Ron Polk wanted. We haul in the top class in 1994- but we didn't surround that class with other top 10 classes. So, we made it to Omaha twice with those recruits as the centerpiece of those teams and added in some key transfers for 1998 like Lotterhos and Cliff Wren to fill in gaps from the draft. Long term wasn't sustainable to win a National Title though.

2001- McMahon leaves because he was not Ron Polk and tired of hearing about it. But instead of hiring Paul Manieri we bring Ron Polk back. We decline over seven years and eventually the bottom fell out in 2008. We are now up to about 18 years of non-elite recruiting and player development by the end of Polk's tenure.

2008- We hire John Cohen who was an elite hire. But he inherits a train wreck and by this time Ole Miss and USM decide that they want to be good and care about baseball too- so now Cohen has to deal with our fans and two in state schools that hate him. Finally in 2011 he cobbles together a team that is good enough to make a SR and we finally start to have success and rebuild our program with results showing. We still aren't recruiting at quite the elite level we need to yet- but we're starting to make strides. 2013 team has five players on it that contributed that have become MLB players- Holder, Girodo, Graveman, Frazier, and Renfroe. And two more in Lindgren who hadn't found his niche and Woodruff who was hurt and with a healthy Woodruff I like our odds a little bit better against UCLA. Around 2015 Cohen gets burned out and wants to be the AD and steps down in 2016 after winning the SEC.

2016- We hire Cann who had the background to be an elite recruiter and could develop hitters at the level we needed. Cann's immaturity gets him fired in 2018. Henderson takes over in the interim and we have a good year.

So- in a nutshell we haven't had the coach or situation to recruit and develop like we needed to for almost 30 years now. That's why we have underachieved. Because when Polk was doing it the SEC wasn't quite at the competition level we needed it to be for us to be elite in Omaha either. That has changed. I think Lemonis has the potential to recruit like that and with Gautreau and an elite pitching coach he has the potential to develop at that level for us. And it could be quickly because we aren't a rebuild. That's why it's important that we are 100% behind him. Cohen understands college baseball and he sees the environment that everyone is having success in. That's why he rolled the dice on Cann and why he hired a guy that is considered one of the best recruiters in the game this time around. And also why he wanted Gautreau to stay on as hitting coach.

I think we can win a National Championship here in baseball but it HAS TO be done a certain way and there are no shortcuts. But we've really only started to go down that path to doing things the right way as far as recruiting for the past ten years or so and in that time we've had to deal with what amounts to a two year transition which is finally coming to an end now. Our hitting is good enough as far as development goes at this time- but if we can improve our pitching development and tighten up our defense a little bit- and a tighten it up a lot at catcher- we will probably take the next step in 10 years or less.

Todd4State
06-26-2018, 01:35 PM

I think with us hosting probably gives us a little more advantage than some other teams. In 2007 our crowd was a big reason why we won that SR IMO. Plus it helps with recruiting because the two times people probably watch college baseball the most is during SR weekend and CWS week. That and things like Thunder and Lightning help spread MSU baseball across the country.

preachermatt83
06-26-2018, 03:00 PM
Our expectation EVERY year should be the same.... host a regional, get to a super and after that so many different things are at play that you can say ok, every year we have to go to Omaha. Any year we do not host a regional and get to a super should be considered a disappointment but getting to a super should be considered a good year. Now what about Omaha? Well if you go to super regionals regularly you are gonna spend a good bit of time in Omaha.

Todd4State
06-26-2018, 03:29 PM
Our expectation EVERY year should be the same.... host a regional, get to a super and after that so many different things are at play that you can say ok, every year we have to go to Omaha. Any year we do not host a regional and get to a super should be considered a disappointment but getting to a super should be considered a good year. Now what about Omaha? Well if you go to super regionals regularly you are gonna spend a good bit of time in Omaha.

My minimum expectation for us is a SR and to win the Governor's Cup. If we make a SR, we are getting television exposure during the biggest weeks of the college baseball season. And as you said if you go to enough SR's you will go to Omaha a fair amount of times.

Turfdawg67
06-26-2018, 03:32 PM
And it has only gotten harder over the past 20 years to do it. You won't ever see runs like USC, or LSU dominating a decade of titles again.

Sign... should've been us in the late '80s - early 90s.

MarketingBully
06-26-2018, 03:43 PM
And it has only gotten harder over the past 20 years to do it. You won't ever see runs like USC, or LSU dominating a decade of titles again.

Sign... should've been us in the late '80s - early 90s.

We had Ron “That’s Baseball” Polk instead of Skip “Gorilla Ball” Bertman. Skip built his team to win the CWS and Polk built his teams to get to the CWS. It’s why LSU has 6 titles and we have none. Would be interesting though if Chris Lemonis wins a title before McDonnell. Would be fitting imo.

dawgs
06-26-2018, 04:06 PM
My minimum expectation for us is a SR and to win the Governor's Cup. If we make a SR, we are getting television exposure during the biggest weeks of the college baseball season. And as you said if you go to enough SR's you will go to Omaha a fair amount of times.

And if we are hosting super regionals, that's a better recruiting tool than anything a coach can tell a kid. Just turn on ESPN and let him see and listen to the crowd a few innings, then flip over to a vandy or Florida hosted SR and let him see and listen to their crowd a few innings. I'd sign on the dotted line right then if I was a recruit.

Turfdawg67
06-26-2018, 04:07 PM
We had Ron “That’s Baseball” Polk instead of Skip “Gorilla Ball” Bertman. Skip built his team to win the CWS and Polk built his teams to get to the CWS. It’s why LSU has 6 titles and we have none. Would be interesting though if Chris Lemonis wins a title before McDonnell. Would be fitting imo.

Polk#1 also was fighting the NCAA and wasn't fully focused for many of those years.

Todd4State
06-26-2018, 06:29 PM

I think Ron Polk 1976-1990 may have won a National Title during the 1990's. Unfortunately we had Ron Polk 1991-1997 in the 1990's.

Winning a National Title at MSU is a lot easier than it is at Louisville. Slightly better league, a LOT more resources, better recruiting area...

Todd4State
06-26-2018, 06:32 PM
And if we are hosting super regionals, that's a better recruiting tool than anything a coach can tell a kid. Just turn on ESPN and let him see and listen to the crowd a few innings, then flip over to a vandy or Florida hosted SR and let him see and listen to their crowd a few innings. I'd sign on the dotted line right then if I was a recruit.

Exactly. They'll see our crowd going nuts, bar-b-que smoke, and they'll be wondering what AAA stadium we're playing at. Oh- that's not a AAA stadium...that's OUR stadium.

Vandy = A douchebag whistling in a turf ballpark crammed into a corner by their football field.

Florida = We have a baseball team?

ETDawg
06-29-2018, 06:53 AM

Exactly. They'll see our crowd going nuts, bar-b-que smoke, and they'll be wondering what AAA stadium we're playing at. Oh- that's not a AAA stadium...that's OUR stadium

Vandy = A douchebag whistling in a turf ballpark crammed into a corner by their football field.

Florida = We have a baseball team?

I understand both of your comments but IMO you win a CWS with pitching.

You get pitching by having a PC or HC that the recruit/parent/recruit’s advisor thinks will further the elite recruit’s goal of reaching MLB. And then you must do it multiple times within the same recruiting year and then do it for several years in a row. Period, end of story.

gravedigger
06-29-2018, 07:51 AM

no. A lack of effective steroid testing is why LSU has 6 titles.