PDA

View Full Version : Someone should call Cohen to the carpet and asked him why this hire doesn?t

Saltydog
06-25-2018, 05:37 AM
match the criteria that HE set forth! It's an underwhelming hire for sure! If this is what we're going to get I'd just as soon kept Henderson!

Dawg2003
06-25-2018, 06:21 AM
If you look at what he said, the hire technically does meet the requirements he set forth. However, he should have kept his mouth shut because people would obviously take his comments the wrong way. I had to go back and read the comments again because I took them to mean something different too. But he never did say the guy would have gone to Omaha as a head coach.

ChillOutDog
06-25-2018, 06:35 AM
match the criteria that HE set forth! It?s an underwhelming hire for sure! If this is what we?re going to get I?d just as soon kept Henderson!

Why not just get Raffo?!**

LilSebastian
06-25-2018, 09:00 AM
If you look at what he said, the hire technically does meet the requirements he set forth. However, he should have kept his mouth shut because people would obviously take his comments the wrong way. I had to go back and read the comments again because I took them to mean something different too. But he never did say the guy would have gone to Omaha as a head coach.

You aren?t wrong, but that?s not the most ringing endorsement of the search. ?Technically, he didn?t disappoint us.?

Thick
06-25-2018, 09:33 AM
Let me know when you call him out in person. I’ll bring the popcorn and the first aid kit

06-25-2018, 09:46 AM
Why? What purpose does it serve?

I'm kinda with you on hiring Hendu, but at the same time, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what happened with Schloss. The fact that Cohen still got a good sitting head coach, who checked all the boxes, says a lot about his ability to land a coach

I still feel bad for Hendu

KOdawg1
06-25-2018, 09:51 AM
This coach does match the criteria. You just got it in your head that it was going to be Schloss or McDonnell

DogsofAnarchy
06-25-2018, 09:53 AM
match the criteria that HE set forth! It's an underwhelming hire for sure! If this is what we're going to get I'd just as soon kept Henderson!

I?m not underwhelmed at all. Hiring the best recruiter in College Baseball is pretty damn great to me. Stop being a little bitch and be a part of the solution instead of being a problem.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 09:58 AM
I'm happy with Lemonis but it's pretty obvious to me that he meant someone with head coaching experience in Omaha. Heck, it could be spun to mean someone that sits in the stands in Omaha every year too.

Cohen is an experienced AD and this is a lesson learned for him. He should have just said "we're going to get the very best coach for MSU" and left it at that. Leave out the "CWS experience, HOF coach, and etc."

06-25-2018, 10:08 AM
I'm happy with Lemonis but it's pretty obvious to me that he meant someone with head coaching experience in Omaha. Heck, it could be spun to mean someone that sits in the stands in Omaha every year too.

Cohen is an experienced AD and this is a lesson learned for him. He should have just said "we're going to get the very best coach for MSU" and left it at that. Leave out the "CWS experience, HOF coach, and etc."
#Todd4State-ing

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 10:48 AM
#Todd4State-ing

I meant inexperienced. Typo.

basedog
06-25-2018, 11:21 AM
Funny stuff, no telling what went on behind the scenes with Cohen, things happen when hiring folks or trying to hire them.

Doesn't matter what Cohen said now, it's in the past but some just can't let it go. What matters is all ahead not behind or the past.

KOdawg1
06-25-2018, 11:23 AM
Funny stuff, no telling what went on behind the scenes with Cohen, things happen when hiring folks or trying to hire them.

Doesn't matter what Cohen said now, it's in the past but some just can't let it go. What matters is all ahead not behind or the past.

This. Let go of what he said

Bubb Rubb
06-25-2018, 11:24 AM
This coach does match the criteria. You just got it in your head that it was going to be Schloss or McDonnell

It actually doesn't. You should go back and revisit the original interview with Bounds.

I bet Cohen wishes he could've taken some of those words back. In the end we have a coach that will do well, but some of the criticism over the hire is warranted based on Cohen's original comments.

ScottH
06-25-2018, 11:27 AM
Let me know when you call him out in person. I’ll bring the popcorn and the first aid kit

A you implying Cohen would assault him?

HoopsDawg
06-25-2018, 11:30 AM
I?m not underwhelmed at all. Hiring the best recruiter in College Baseball is pretty damn great to me. Stop being a little bitch and be a part of the solution instead of being a problem.

Best recruiter in college baseball? Lol.

Bubb Rubb
06-25-2018, 11:31 AM

Says who, Jean Swindoll? Let me roll on over to the recruiting rankings and see where in the top 10 Indiana has fallen over the last three years.

LC Dawg
06-25-2018, 11:34 AM
I've got a question for those who are demanding answers from Cohen. Usually when you demand something there is an "or else". What specifically is the "or else" for Cohen in this case? Because if there isn't a valid "or else" then it's just pissing in the wind to demand anything.
I think it's best to just let it go and get behind the hire.

Dolphus Raymond
06-25-2018, 11:34 AM
Give it a ****ing rest, PLEASE!!

ScottH
06-25-2018, 11:37 AM
Says who, Jean Swindoll? Let me roll on over to the recruiting rankings and see where in the top 10 Indiana has fallen over the last three years.

I think we're hiring a good coach; however, Cohen's mouth wrote a check his ass couldn't cash.

Swindoll is keyboard felatiating the the hiring of Lemonis at a Yancy level.

yjnkdawg
06-25-2018, 11:37 AM

Is the "Someone" you speak of possibly you? If it is, we will just patiently wait to find out how you came out in your endeavor.

SoylentGreen
06-26-2018, 09:53 AM
A you implying Cohen would assault him?

He probably wouldn?t, but he probably should!

DogsofAnarchy
06-26-2018, 10:11 AM
Best recruiter in college baseball? Lol.

Lol Look at his results. Winning at Indiana? Who has ever heard of such?

Saltydog
06-26-2018, 12:34 PM
field to lick a bead of sweat off his ass.

BayouDawg
06-26-2018, 01:08 PM
We hired a sitting head coach that had been to the post season 3 of his last 4 years. He won 60% of his games at non traditional power. Cohen jumped the gun with his comments and I think he would tell you the same. I respect him for trying to hire the best college baseball has to offer though. In the end he came up short and I think he?ll learn from this.

I think this hire will be a great hire though. We need to all get behind it and stop having an entitled attitude about it.

Hail State!

msstate7
06-26-2018, 01:09 PM
Lol Look at his results. Winning at Indiana? Who has ever heard of such?

You remember our CWS in 2013?

yjnkdawg
06-26-2018, 02:01 PM
Nobody on this board , or actually anybody who covers or has any expertise in college baseball, can predict what type of coach, Coach Lemoris will be at MSU. He could turn into an elite coach, or not. Time will tell. It is a whole different scenario here than where he was coaching ( facilities, recruiting database, etc). The expectations are also a lot higher from our administration, athletic department, and fans than was experienced at IND. The elite coaches , who are now in place, do not just normally jump up to move to another job , when they have established their own program, and can retire there, and basically write their own baseball legacy at their current school. Sometimes interest is thrown out there to get a new contract or to get a commitment for better facilities, etc.. I actually think some of the fish were biting, but weren't going to take the bait. and I think that's where Cohen may have misconstrued that the position was more viable to the established elite coaches than it actually was. Either for one reason, or another the three elite coaches who have been discussed on this board were not going to be our head coach. It could be because some didn't want to leave their current position, or maybe on the other side of the coin for a different reason. This talk on the board in another thread a week or so ago to pay them $2.5 and $3 million and make them come wasn't even realistic. I think McDonnell's base salary is something like $1.4 million, and he is one of the highest paid college baseball coaches in the country. Even if McDonnell would take such an outrageous salary , I don't see it would be feasible for our baseball program, and you can bet Cohen wouldn't think so either.

Pit Bull
06-26-2018, 10:18 PM

How is he the best recruiter in college baseball? All 4 of his classes ranked around 30th or lower. One ranked at 39. If you are the best, I would expect there would be some top 10 or maybe even a top 5 class in there somewhere. Guess this makes Bianco the best recruiter God ever created.....he has several top 10 and recently a #1 class. And to top that off Bianco didn't even lose a single player from that class to the draft.....like most schools do. I think one of our best classes ever, we lost 5-6 to the draft. And we lost several this year too. I think Cohen said that just to convince himself he made a HR hire. This is not a HR hire. I would give him a stand up double hire.

yjnkdawg
06-26-2018, 11:14 PM
How is he the best recruiter in college baseball? All 4 of his classes ranked around 30th or lower. One ranked at 39. If you are the best, I would expect there would be some top 10 or maybe even a top 5 class in there somewhere. Guess this makes Bianco the best recruiter God ever created.....he has several top 10 and recently a #1 class. And to top that off Bianco didn't even lose a single player from that class to the draft.....like most schools do. I think one of our best classes ever, we lost 5-6 to the draft. And we lost several this year too. I think Cohen said that just to convince himself he made a HR hire. This is not a HR hire. I would give him a stand up double hire.

Well those in the know, and that's excluding posters on message boards, seem to believe he is a really good recruiter. He got that national recognition when he was at The Citadel and Louisville. He is also considered a great hitting coach, by those in the know, with the same exclusions. Recruiting at OM and MSU is not the same as recruiting at IND. It would be very unusual to have a top ten rated recruiting class at IND. It is just a whole different scenario. Recruiting is a priority for both Cohen and Lemonis, and both know recruiting is where winning championships begin. If you don't like Cohen's hire, then throw out about $1.7 or $1.8 million to Corbin and McDonnell and see how you come out.