PDA

View Full Version : Some Late Night Thoughts on Lemonis

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 02:39 AM
I like this hire. And if Cohen hadn't run his mouth everyone else would too. I would like Cohen to own up to it rather than get the MSU spin of "well CWS experience meant assistants too". It would actually build some trust between MSU and the fans. I bet Cohen learned a valuable lesson from all of this.

Lemonis will be an improvement over Henderson. In game management sounds like it may be a concern. We'll have to see- I don't know how knowledgeable Indiana fans are about the game. But it sounds like he is a great recruiter- Henderson only landed one pitcher in our last class. Brad Bohannon was a major force behind Kentucky's recruiting- not Henderson. We need to be all hands on deck with our recruiting and we can't afford to be average in recruiting if we want a title. Gautreau is good as a recruiter. As others have said we need an elite pitching coach. If the NCAA adds another assistant we need someone with major scouting ties.

Our new coaches are going to inherit a team that is Omaha ready. And Lemonis is going to have a lot more resources than he had at Indiana. We have a new stadium that will be complete and hopefully we won't have anymore weird coaching situations. And despite all the weirdness we've been to Omaha, won the SEC, and been to three SR's in a row. Let's see what we can do with a normal situation. I think Lemonis will provide is with that stability and I don't think Henderson would have provided that for us based on his burned out comments from a couple of years ago. This will not be a rebuild. This will be show up day one and let's try to win now from day one.

I think Lemonis and Gautreau will be a good duo as far as hitting goes. Pitching has to get better. One guy with an ERA under 3 in two years and finsihing the regular season 11th in the SEC in pitching isn't going to cut it. It's very critical that we improve and add velocity and command with our pitchers. We can't rely on a couple of consistent pitchers and our offense to bail us out 20 times a year. One thing that impressed me about Lemonis was Indiana's defensive rankings. We need to improve there as well. We weren't bad but there is plenty of room for improvement. Our catchers were just embarrassing on defense. I'm surprised more teams didn't steal on us to be honest. Even my old ass would look like Rickey Henderson when our catcher is air mailing it to Jake every time someone steals. Much less the first round pick leadoff guy from Oregon State. Lemonis has an assistant at Indiana that sounds like he is pretty good with catchers. Hopefully he comes along. We also need to improve our baserunning as well a little bit. I thought we got better as the season went along there though. I like his offensive philosophy- pressure and power on offense. This year if we are being honest with ourselves we were a good hitting team with average to below average pitching and defense. If we improve from average to good we might take that final step next year especially if our hitters continue to improve as well. And if we hire Kyle Bunn as the pitching coach I'm good with that although if it's someone else reputable I'm good with that too.

One thing no one is talking about with this is Northern coaches have a good track record in the SEC. Paul Manieri and Dave Van Horn both came from teams in Big 10 territory and have both at least made it to the CWS finals- Van Horn may win it all this year but we'll see. I think with what we have at MSU Lemonis will have similar success. Both coaches ended up at schools with similar histories and resources as MSU as well.

Let's get behind Lemonis and go kick some ass.

And thanks Gary Henderson for keeping us afloat and having a memorable season. Good luck in your next endeavor. Hopefully that's in the MSU AD with a cushy job that pays well if you don't want to coach anymore.

Pit Bull
06-25-2018, 03:26 AM
Only comment I can make on this hire.....is I will just show up next year to the ballpark and support the Diamond Dogs like I always have. Of course, next year, I get to pick out my seat first. Today was the first day I have ever heard of the name "Lemonis". A typical Cohen hire I suppose as no one or very few had heard of the name "Moorhead" either. And we still don't know what kind of coach Moorhead will be. He hasn't coached a single game at MSU yet. Signs are positive so far, but we really just don't know. So, I can only hope that IB saw something in the Lemonis interview that he saw in Moorhead's interview. One thing is for sure, Cohen likes curve balls! For all the great pundits, coach wannabes, and prognosticators on these here boards....Strike Three!

MarketingBully
06-25-2018, 04:22 AM
Only comment I can make on this hire.....is I will just show up next year to the ballpark and support the Diamond Dogs like I always have. Of course, next year, I get to pick out my seat first. Today was the first day I have ever heard of the name "Lemonis". A typical Cohen hire I suppose as no one or very few had heard of the name "Moorhead" either. And we still don't know what kind of coach Moorhead will be. He hasn't coached a single game at MSU yet. Signs are positive so far, but we really just don't know. So, I can only hope that IB saw something in the Lemonis interview that he saw in Moorhead's interview. One thing is for sure, Cohen likes curve balls! For all the great pundits, coach wannabes, and prognosticators on these here boards....Strike Three!

I’ve known who Lemonis is for a while. It’s pretty obvious McDonnell gave Lemonis a huge endorsement. This was probably under wraps for a while but it wouldn’t surprise me if his name was brought up several times when Cohen talked to McDonell when McDonnell interviewed with MSU after we beat Oklahoma in the regionals. This is a great hire and I have no doubts he’s going to do well here. This is a much better hire then Henderson would have been and is a great long term hire as well.

shoeless joe
06-25-2018, 07:36 AM
I like this hire. And if Cohen hadn't run his mouth everyone else would too. I would like Cohen to own up to it rather than get the MSU spin of "well CWS experience meant assistants too". It would actually build some trust between MSU and the fans. I bet Cohen learned a valuable lesson from all of this.

Lemonis will be an improvement over Henderson. In game management sounds like it may be a concern. We'll have to see- I don't know how knowledgeable Indiana fans are about the game. But it sounds like he is a great recruiter- Henderson only landed one pitcher in our last class. Brad Bohannon was a major force behind Kentucky's recruiting- not Henderson. We need to be all hands on deck with our recruiting and we can't afford to be average in recruiting if we want a title. Gautreau is good as a recruiter. As others have said we need an elite pitching coach. If the NCAA adds another assistant we need someone with major scouting ties.

Our new coaches are going to inherit a team that is Omaha ready. And Lemonis is going to have a lot more resources than he had at Indiana. We have a new stadium that will be complete and hopefully we won't have anymore weird coaching situations. And despite all the weirdness we've been to Omaha, won the SEC, and been to three SR's in a row. Let's see what we can do with a normal situation. I think Lemonis will provide is with that stability and I don't think Henderson would have provided that for us based on his burned out comments from a couple of years ago. This will not be a rebuild. This will be show up day one and let's try to win now from day one.

I think Lemonis and Gautreau will be a good duo as far as hitting goes. Pitching has to get better. One guy with an ERA under 3 in two years and finsihing the regular season 11th in the SEC in pitching isn't going to cut it. It's very critical that we improve and add velocity and command with our pitchers. We can't rely on a couple of consistent pitchers and our offense to bail us out 20 times a year. One thing that impressed me about Lemonis was Indiana's defensive rankings. We need to improve there as well. We weren't bad but there is plenty of room for improvement. Our catchers were just embarrassing on defense. I'm surprised more teams didn't steal on us to be honest. Even my old ass would look like Rickey Henderson when our catcher is air mailing it to Jake every time someone steals. Much less the first round pick leadoff guy from Oregon State. Lemonis has an assistant at Indiana that sounds like he is pretty good with catchers. Hopefully he comes along. We also need to improve our baserunning as well a little bit. I thought we got better as the season went along there though. I like his offensive philosophy- pressure and power on offense. This year if we are being honest with ourselves we were a good hitting team with average to below average pitching and defense. If we improve from average to good we might take that final step next year especially if our hitters continue to improve as well. And if we hire Kyle Bunn as the pitching coach I'm good with that although if it's someone else reputable I'm good with that too.

One thing no one is talking about with this is Northern coaches have a good track record in the SEC. Paul Manieri and Dave Van Horn both came from teams in Big 10 territory and have both at least made it to the CWS finals- Van Horn may win it all this year but we'll see. I think with what we have at MSU Lemonis will have similar success. Both coaches ended up at schools with similar histories and resources as MSU as well.

Let's get behind Lemonis and go kick some ass.

And thanks Gary Henderson for keeping us afloat and having a memorable season. Good luck in your next endeavor. Hopefully that's in the MSU AD with a cushy job that pays well if you don't want to coach anymore.

Still riding the, "Henderson sucks but his sssistants don't" train I see. Some decent other points but we need to let this narrative go.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-25-2018, 07:51 AM
It's going to be fun watching the mental gymnastics here for the next few months. This guy's resume is shockingly similar to Henderson's. But the same people who were ademently against Hendo somehow know this is a great hire.

Jack Lambert
06-25-2018, 08:01 AM
Out side some personal issues that probably no one could have seen coming Cann was a pretty good hire so Cohen might have done a good job on this hire.

shoeless joe
06-25-2018, 08:03 AM
It's going to be fun watching the mental gymnastics here for the next few months. This guy's resume is shockingly similar to Henderson's. But the same people who were ademently against Hendo somehow know this is a great hire.

And their knock on Hendo was in game management...well guess what some are saying the knock on this guy is?? But so many hitches their wagon to the fact that he sucked as a coach that they're just glad he's gone and they'll do whatever to make it look like this guy is more qualified.

I hope he wins it all and turns us into a powerhouse, but based on what we currently know Henderson may have had a better shot at doing so in the short term

MSU338
06-25-2018, 08:07 AM
I was up on the fence on this hire, but after doing a lot of research and thinking about the circumstances Lemonis was working under, this coach has all the tools to have instant success and brings ALOT to the MSU program. I keep seeing people talk about his game management, but I only saw that posted from one guy on Twitter and he seemed to be butt hurt . Everything I read from Indiana fans was positive about Lemonis and EVERYONE was sad to see him go. This is not the ELITE coach that Cohen claimed, but this guy has the tools to be the next biggest "thing" in college baseball. He is an upgrade from our previous two coaches and look what they did with our talent. This guy is gonna bring ELITE talent to our program. Hail State and look forward to nex year!!

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 08:07 AM
Still riding the, "Henderson sucks but his sssistants don't" train I see. Some decent other points but we need to let this narrative go.

Cohen agrees with me about Henderson.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-25-2018, 08:38 AM
And their knock on Hendo was in game management...well guess what some are saying the knock on this guy is?? But so many hitches their wagon to the fact that he sucked as a coach that they're just glad he's gone and they'll do whatever to make it look like this guy is more qualified.

I hope he wins it all and turns us into a powerhouse, but based on what we currently know Henderson may have had a better shot at doing so in the short term

Yea, don't get me wrong. I'm not against the guy, and there is certainly potential for him to be a big time coach. I'm just pointing out his similarity to Hendo, yet the dissimilarity in the discussion around him.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 08:56 AM
Yea, don't get me wrong. I'm not against the guy, and there is certainly potential for him to be a big time coach. I'm just pointing out his similarity to Hendo, yet the dissimilarity in the discussion around him.

Lemonis is a much better recruiter, much younger, and will be better for MSU in the long run. Lemonis in four years made three regionals. Henderson made it to two in eight at Kentucky and three in nine if you include this year.

Jarius
06-25-2018, 08:58 AM
Lemonis is a much better recruiter, much younger, and will be better for MSU in the long run. Lemonis in four years made three regionals. Henderson made it to two in eight at Kentucky and three in nine if you include this year.

There is no question. He will recruit extremely well here. If he is halfway competent with game management skills and hires a decent pitching coach he will do extremely well.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 09:02 AM
There is no question. He will recruit extremely well here. If he is halfway competent with game management skills and hires a decent pitching coach he will do extremely well.

Exactly. Skip Bertman wasn't as good of an in game manager as Ron Polk. But Bertman was able to get better players in the 1990's. And no one here has even seen Lemonis coach. I would not be shocked if he is better than Henderson in that arena as well.

Cooterpoot
06-25-2018, 09:04 AM
Out side some personal issues that probably no one could have seen coming Cann was a pretty good hire so Cohen might have done a good job on this hire.

Many of his issues were known when we hired him. Obviously he got into some other things but some were known. It’s time to let the “Canns was a good hire except for” excuse go. It was a terrible hire.

Doggie_Style
06-25-2018, 09:08 AM
Many of his issues were known when we hired him. Obviously he got into some other things but some were known. It?s time to let the ?Canns was a good hire except for? excuse go. It was a terrible hire.

Exactly....and Cohen didn't do the best job communicating with the fanbase during the hiring of Lemonis...I think he made a stellar hire with Moorhead....hopefully Lemonis is the right guy, we'll see

Bubb Rubb
06-25-2018, 09:38 AM
Cohen agrees with me about Henderson.

With all due respect, you aren't nearly the authority on this that you think you are.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 09:52 AM
With all due respect, you aren't nearly the authority on this that you think you are.

OK.

At a bare minimum:

1. I didn't think Henderson was the long term answer for us.

2. If Cohen thought Henderson was the best guy for us he would have just promoted him.

Therefore Cohen agrees with me.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 09:54 AM
Exactly....and Cohen didn't do the best job communicating with the fanbase during the hiring of Lemonis...I think he made a stellar hire with Moorhead....hopefully Lemonis is the right guy, we'll see

If anything Cohen probably did too much communicating with the fanbase. I'd definitely like to hear someone in the media ask him about it.

Turfdawg67
06-25-2018, 09:59 AM
1) I don't think Lemonis is the best hire.
2) Cohen wanted McDonnell, Schloss & Corbin (possibly Godwin & Thompson)

So obviously Cohen agrees with me.

Turfdawg67
06-25-2018, 10:03 AM
Hey, he was the best we could do! Hope he becomes our all-time greatest coach in the long term. In the short term (2019), he better take us to a SR and probably a CWS, with the talent we have and coming in, or he may not be as good as Henderson.

Bubb Rubb
06-25-2018, 10:04 AM
OK.

At a bare minimum:

2. If Cohen thought Henderson was the best guy for us he would have just promoted him.

I'm a message board poster submitting comments on a message board, but I have no idea about the inner workings of this coaching search or who Cohen valued as candidates or not.

I can guarantee you Cohen agrees with me.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 10:09 AM
Hey, he was the best we could do! Hope he becomes our all-time greatest coach in the long term. In the short term (2019), he better take us to a SR and probably a CWS, with the talent we have and coming in, or he may not be as good as Henderson.

There is no question the expectations should be high from day one with our team. A SR is the minimum standard. If we can improve the pitching and defense a little bit and at the same time make the natural improvements with our hitting the CWS certainly is not out of the question.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 10:14 AM
I'm a message board poster submitting comments on a message board, but I have no idea about the inner workings of this coaching search or who Cohen valued as candidates or not.

I can guarantee you Cohen agrees with me.

I'm not sure who you wanted- and I've never said once that we got our first choice. It's very obvious that we didn't.

But that being said- I think we made a good hire and made a good choice. And I think we made a better choice than hiring Henderson.

Bubb Rubb
06-25-2018, 10:28 AM
I'm not sure who you wanted- and I've never said once that we got our first choice. It's very obvious that we didn't.

But that being said- I think we made a good hire and made a good choice. And I think we made a better choice than hiring Henderson.

I think we made a fine hire. I'm sure it was a drawn out process - and I'm sure Henderson was a viable candidate in Cohen's eyes, too. Perhaps Lemonis was Cohen's guy all along. It's all speculative. I wasn't attacking you - just pointing out that stating Henderson wasn't the guy and that Cohen agreed with you on that is not the right thing to say unless you sat in on all the interviews with Cohen. For all you know, Cohen had decided on keeping Henderson and he came up with some demand that Cohen wouldn't adhere to. It's all speculation. At the end of the day Lemonis is going to be fine and it will work out.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 10:36 AM
I think we made a fine hire. I'm sure it was a drawn out process - and I'm sure Henderson was a viable candidate in Cohen's eyes, too. Perhaps Lemonis was Cohen's guy all along. It's all speculative. I wasn't attacking you - just pointing out that stating Henderson wasn't the guy and that Cohen agreed with you on that is not the right thing to say unless you sat in on all the interviews with Cohen. For all you know, Cohen had decided on keeping Henderson and he came up with some demand that Cohen wouldn't adhere to. It's all speculation. At the end of the day Lemonis is going to be fine and it will work out.

Like not wanting to hire a pitching coach and run the pitching staff like he did at Kentucky? Possibly. I don't know that there were any demands like that. But it seems pretty unlikely that Henderson would make those kinds of demands unless they were on the bus coming back from Omaha.

What is known is:

1. Cohen's comments on Bo Bounds that didn't fit Henderson.
2. Cohen has now passed on Henderson a second time- first by hiring Cann and now Lemonis.
3. Cohen's comments on the radio criticizing some of Henderson's in game decisions.

Bubb Rubb
06-25-2018, 10:42 AM
Like not wanting to hire a pitching coach and run the pitching staff like he did at Kentucky? Possibly. I don't know that there were any demands like that. But it seems pretty unlikely that Henderson would make those kinds of demands unless they were on the bus coming back from Omaha.

What is known is:

1. Cohen's comments on Bo Bounds that didn't fit Henderson.
2. Cohen has now passed on Henderson a second time- first by hiring Cann and now Lemonis.
3. Cohen's comments on the radio criticizing some of Henderson's in game decisions.

1. Cohen's comments on Bo Bounds don't fit Lemonis either.
2. Henderson had more leverage the second time - he just took this team to Omaha.
3. Cohen was providing color commentary - not looking to make his own baseball coach look bad.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 10:47 AM
1. Cohen's comments on Bo Bounds don't fit Lemonis either. And if Henderson was a viable candidate Cohen doesn't make them at that point in time.
2. Henderson had more leverage the second time - he just took this team to Omaha. Exactly. And Cohen still didn't hire him. That's my point.
3. Cohen was providing color commentary - not looking to make his own baseball coach look bad.Most AD's that are about to promote someone and are on the air are going to pump the guy up.

See my responses above.

shoeless joe
06-25-2018, 10:51 AM
OK.

At a bare minimum:

Cohen thinks lemonis is a better option than Hendo...true enough, and I'm fine with that and hope he takes us where we wanna be. But to say that Cohen agrees with all the Hendo bashing that you've done on this board is absurd at the least.

Bubb Rubb
06-25-2018, 10:55 AM
See my responses above.

I think Crash Davis said it best - this conversation is like a martian talking to a fungo.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 11:05 AM
Cohen thinks lemonis is a better option than Hendo...true enough, and I'm fine with that and hope he takes us where we wanna be. But to say that Cohen agrees with all the Hendo bashing that you've done on this board is absurd at the least.

I didn't say Cohen agreed with the "bashing" of Henderson. I said that he agreed that with me that he wasn't the best long term solution for us. What Cohen said on the radio wasn't any worse than anything I've ever said about Henderson. Excuse me for "bashing" Henderson by not giving him total credit for this season because our turnaround coincided when our offense turned around- which Henderson had very little to do with.

Every time someone criticized me for "bashing" Henderson I asked them to provide some kind of baseball related response to defend Henderson's decision and no one ever really did. Not once.

Turfdawg67
06-25-2018, 11:44 AM
Every time someone criticized me for "bashing" Henderson I asked them to provide some kind of baseball related response to defend Henderson's decision and no one ever really did. Not once.

BS, you just ignore their defense and stick to whatever position you've chosen and find one excuse for Henderson's success... in this case Jake. Well maybe Lemonis' "success" was Dunn? Fact is, Henderson pissed off you and a lot of people early in the season, so any and everything after was due to something or someone else. That's called stubbornness. Truth is Henderson's and Lemonis' resumes are very similar. But in your eyes one didn't deserve it and the other is a great hire.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 11:55 AM

BS, you just ignore their defense and stick to whatever position you've chosen and find one excuse for Henderson's success... in this case Jake. Well maybe Lemonis' "success" was Dunn? Fact is, Henderson pissed off you and a lot of people early in the season, so any and everything after was due to something or someone else. That's called stubbornness. Truth is Henderson's and Lemonis' resumes are very similar. But in your eyes one didn't deserve it and the other is a great hire.

Their resume's are similar? Lemonis- three Regionals in four years at a Big 10 school. Henderson- 2 at Kentucky in eight years.

Usually the defense for Henderson was I played PS2 or something like that. How is that baseball related? The FACT is no one- including you has come up with anything baseball related to defend his poor decisions with the pitching staff.

Offensively we ended up 8th in the SEC in hitting by the end of the year after a slow start and half of our lineup being freshmen. Our pitching staff finished 11th and we have only had one pitcher that had an ERA under 3 ever under Henderson. Those are baseball related FACTS that show that Gautreau was the main reason for the turnaround.

And it's Bunn- not Dunn.

shoeless joe
06-25-2018, 12:04 PM
Their resume's are similar? Lemonis- three Regionals in four years at a Big 10 school. Henderson- 2 at Kentucky in eight years.

Usually the defense for Henderson was I played PS2 or something like that. How is that baseball related? The FACT is no one- including you has come up with anything baseball related to defend his poor decisions with the pitching staff.

Offensively we ended up 8th in the SEC in hitting by the end of the year after a slow start and half of our lineup being freshmen. Our pitching staff finished 11th and we have only had one pitcher that had an ERA under 3 ever under Henderson. Those are baseball related FACTS that show that Gautreau was the main reason for the turnaround.

And it's Bunn- not Dunn.

You're glossing over the fact that Hendo led the team to the success they had. I can't argue that offensive technique, approach, and game plan wasn't due to gotro...but who gave him the keys to the offense? Who set their ego aside and allowed him to run that show? Who was the calm steady influence over the entire course of the season? Obviously the guy knows the game or he wouldn't have gotten to where he did. But you seem to be ignoring all of that because he made some poor in game decisions at times...which if you watch college ball, as I know you do, you should know that questionable decisions are not that rare. Even at the higher levels.

Not that you care but IMO this whole ordeal has put a major damper on your credibility as some sort of baseball guru that you like to play on this board.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 12:42 PM
You're glossing over the fact that Hendo led the team to the success they had. I can't argue that offensive technique, approach, and game plan wasn't due to gotro...but who gave him the keys to the offense? Who set their ego aside and allowed him to run that show? Who was the calm steady influence over the entire course of the season? Obviously the guy knows the game or he wouldn't have gotten to where he did. But you seem to be ignoring all of that because he made some poor in game decisions at times...which if you watch college ball, as I know you do, you should know that questionable decisions are not that rare. Even at the higher levels.

Not that you care but IMO this whole ordeal has put a major damper on your credibility as some sort of baseball guru that you like to play on this board.

I gave Henderson credit for keeping the program afloat in the original post of this thread.

I mean, if I wanted to please the crowd I could give all the credit to Henderson if I was worried about my "Internet guru credibility" but it wouldn't be genuine. The fact that Henderson wasn't named the head coach and Gautreau is staying is good enough for me.

Turfdawg67
06-25-2018, 12:50 PM

Lets compare their first 4 years as a head coach since Lemonis has only been a HC that long:

Henderson-
* 129-99 in the SEC
* Finished 5th, 4th, 5th & 2nd (again in the SEC)
* 1 Regional
* 1 SEC COY Award

Lemonis-
* 141-91 in the Big 10
* Finshed 6th, 3rd, 6th and 5th in conference
* 3 Regionals

Yes, pretty similar. Lemonis made a Regional twice with records of 32 & 34 wins while Henderson missed a Regional with 31 wins and later in his last year with 32 wins. Of course if we look later in the career, Gary also has a COY Award, a SR and a CWS.

Turfdawg67
06-25-2018, 12:52 PM
I gave Henderson credit for keeping the program afloat in the original post of this thread.

I mean, if I wanted to please the crowd I could give all the credit to Henderson if I was worried about my "Internet guru credibility" but it wouldn't be genuine. The fact that Henderson wasn't named the head coach and Gautreau is staying is good enough for me.

Then the fact that he's been Cohen's pitching coach at two different schools should be good enough for you too.

Jarius
06-25-2018, 01:01 PM
Lets compare their first 4 years as a head coach since Lemonis has only been a HC that long:

Henderson-
* 129-99 in the SEC
* 1 Regional
* 1 SEC COY Award

Lemonis-
* 141-91 in the Big 10
* 3 Regionals

Yes, pretty similar. Lemonis made a Regional twice with records of 32 & 34 wins while Henderson missed a Regional with 31 wins and later in his last year with 32 wins. Of course if we look later in the career, Gary also has a COY Award, a SR and a CWS.

It's not pretty similar because you are totally ignoring the fact that Gary Henderson has 4 more years and did basically jack shit in those years. You are once again ignoring the entire resume of Henderson. Going to 3 regionals in 4 years is a hell of a lot better than going to 2 regionals in 8 years. It's not even debatable.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 01:06 PM

Henderson-
* 129-99 in the SEC
* 1 Regional
* 1 SEC COY Award

Lemonis-
* 141-91 in the Big 10
* 3 Regionals

Too bad Gary had years 5-8 at Kentucky to look at. We'll compare Lemonis in four years and see how it looks then.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 01:07 PM
Then the fact that he's been Cohen's pitching coach at two different schools should be good enough for you too.

And the fact that he didn't promote him here twice should be good enough for you. Even after his best season.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 01:08 PM
It's not pretty similar because you are totally ignoring the fact that Gary Henderson has 4 more years and did basically jack shit in those years. You are once again ignoring the entire resume of Henderson. Going to 3 regionals in 4 years is a hell of a lot better than going to 2 regionals in 8 years. It's not even debatable.

For him it is debatable apparently. I'm glad he didn't handle this coaching search.

Turfdawg67
06-25-2018, 01:17 PM

Regionals for winning 32 & 34 games and finishing 6th in the conference both years, yep impressive. In that powerhouse Big 10. Never made it to a SR and never sniffed a CWS. His predecessor finished 2nd, 1st and 1st in conference the previous 3 years with a CWS to boot.

Really Clark?
06-25-2018, 01:31 PM
Regionals for winning 32 & 34 games and finishing 6th in the conference both years, yep impressive. In that powerhouse Big 10. Never made it to a SR and never sniffed a CWS. His predecessor finished 2nd, 1st and 1st in conference the previous 3 years with a CWS to boot.

Smith had 2 great years at Indiana but he never won more than 32 games outside of those 2 years. Including the year they finished 2nd in the B10. 32-28 record that year, 16-8 in conference. And since he has left for ASU...ASU has tanked. So basically Smith in 14 years has won more than 32 games 4 times, 2 times at Indiana and his first 2 years at ASU. 40 games or more only twice

Turfdawg67
06-25-2018, 01:34 PM
Too bad Gary had years 5-8 at Kentucky to look at. We'll compare Lemonis in four years and see how it looks then.

5-8 weren't horrible. Around the same 30+ win mark as Lemonis is accustomed to... Too bad the SEC is stacked and you don't automatically get rewarded with a Regional for 32+ wins.

And yes, again, I hope Lemonis becomes our best HC ever and wins many titles along the way. Time will tell.

Turfdawg67
06-25-2018, 01:37 PM
Smith had 2 great years at Indiana but he never won more than 32 games outside of those 2 years. Including the year they finished 2nd in the B10. 32-28 record that year, 16-8 in conference. And since he has left for ASU...ASU has tanked. So basically Smith in 14 years has won more than 32 games 4 times, 2 times at Indiana and his first 2 years at ASU. 40 games or more only twice

Okay... Never said Smith was some baseball God but only that his last 3 years at Indiana were pretty impressive. He moved on to a bigger school and has bombed pretty hard, hope that's not a trend with Indiana coaches.

Really Clark?
06-25-2018, 01:55 PM
Okay... Never said Smith was some baseball God but only that his last 3 years at Indiana were pretty impressive. He moved on to a bigger school and has bombed pretty hard, hope that's not a trend with Indiana coaches.

Well I think the year before his last 2 years is debatable but outside of 2 great years out of 14 you are comparing Lemonis to a guy who did worse and was less consistent than him at the same place and has done worse than Lemonis at a place that should win 32 on a down year. Not 14 like this year. Heck he has won less than 30 more times than he has won more than 32.

Look I get it, those last 2 years for Smith were historic for Indiana, can’t take that away from him at all. But doing a comparison for Lemonis against their most historic 2 years is not fair to him either. Especially when Smith himself has never shown he could do that consistently in his other 12 years at 2 P5 school.

shoeless joe
06-25-2018, 02:30 PM

In the original post you gave bohannon credit for Hendo's recruiting at Kentucky and have routinely given gotro all the credit for this year.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 06:11 PM
In the original post you gave bohannon credit for Hendo's recruiting at Kentucky and have routinely given gotro all the credit for this year.

Do you want me to lie? Again there is a reason why Gautreau is still here and Henderson isn't. I have given Henderson credit for what he deserves credit for. Do you think 2007 was all Croom or does Ellis Johnson get a lot of the credit?

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 06:13 PM
5-8 weren't horrible. Around the same 30+ win mark as Lemonis is accustomed to... Too bad the SEC is stacked and you don't automatically get rewarded with a Regional for 32+ wins.

And yes, again, I hope Lemonis becomes our best HC ever and wins many titles along the way. Time will tell.

Lemonis will win more than 32 games a year here. You can save this for later.