PDA

View Full Version : Cohen the Meddler - My Schloss conspiracy

The Federalist Engineer
06-25-2018, 01:43 AM
After digesting all the recent news and taking in 2 radio games with Cohen, I think an experienced, elite coach that is already well paid would have been insane to take the MSU job. Because Cohen clearly wants to be the Baseball Generalissimo and AD at MSU

Corbin, Schloss, Tadlock, McD, Joe Torre, Madden, or Bobby Cox would all just have been Cohen dugout assistants in his program. Schloss, Corbin, McD and Co saw this and realized they could get paid incrementally well, but would be demoted in the game of manly prestige by a collegiate version of George Steinbrenner. Why should Schloss be demoted by a guy that he out performed in terms of results? Same for Corbin. Old GS always thought he was the best possible manager of the Yankees

So we hire a dude that could be a genius, I really hope so. But we really only hired the best possible guy that is willing to be Cohen's assistant. To make this less bad, Cohen must instruct his manager to get a blue chip pitching coach, not some dude that was willing to coach in Indiana with him for five-figures. Use some of that unused Schloss money for a blue chip pitching maestro

I realize my conspiracy is probably less plausible than Starkville lacking a Mall and a Target

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 01:53 AM
I think if Cohen was that hands on Cann wouldn't have been able to do what he did as long as he did. I don't think Cohen understood how bad Cann had gotten until the players had pointed it out to him. My guess is after that Cohen felt a responsibility to be more involved in the program after that. At least while Henderson was coaching. I just get the impression he isn't impressed with Henderson as a head coach. And honestly I wasn't either.

Dawg2003
06-25-2018, 02:16 AM
I think if Cohen was that hands on Cann wouldn't have been able to do what he did as long as he did. I don't think Cohen understood how bad Cann had gotten until the players had pointed it out to him. My guess is after that Cohen felt a responsibility to be more involved in the program after that. At least while Henderson was coaching. I just get the impression he isn't impressed with Henderson as a head coach. And honestly I wasn't either.

That’s a good point I hadn’t considered. I wonder which players went to Cohen. I’d love to be a fly on the wall.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 02:48 AM
That’s a good point I hadn’t considered. I wonder which players went to Cohen. I’d love to be a fly on the wall.

I've heard rumors that it was several of them along with some of the coaches. And after that MSU conducted interviews with other players to confirm some things as part of an internal investigation.

Coursesuper
06-25-2018, 05:32 AM
After digesting all the recent news and taking in 2 radio games with Cohen, I think an experienced, elite coach that is already well paid would have been insane to take the MSU job. Because Cohen clearly wants to be the Baseball Generalissimo and AD at MSU

Corbin, Schloss, Tadlock, McD, Joe Torre, Madden, or Bobby Cox would all just have been Cohen dugout assistants in his program. Schloss, Corbin, McD and Co saw this and realized they could get paid incrementally well, but would be demoted in the game of manly prestige by a collegiate version of George Steinbrenner. Why should Schloss be demoted by a guy that he out performed in terms of results? Same for Corbin. Old GS always thought he was the best possible manager of the Yankees

So we hire a dude that could be a genius, I really hope so. But we really only hired the best possible guy that is willing to be Cohen's assistant. To make this less bad, Cohen must instruct his manager to get a blue chip pitching coach, not some dude that was willing to coach in Indiana with him for five-figures. Use some of that unused Schloss money for a blue chip pitching maestro

I realize my conspiracy is probably less plausible than Starkville lacking a Mall and a Target

You are the first one other than a few of us old guys to see things as they are.

SandlotDawg
06-25-2018, 06:41 AM
This is an extremely bad take. Even if he is like that, he’s their boss and I would think a great baseball coach wants a boss that wants to win as much as them. The intense bastard wants to 17’n win. He loves MSU more than any of us and he’s gonna do his best to make it happen. All the bitching about an “underwhelming” hire... The fact is, it’s damn hard to pull an elite proven coach. How many times has it happened at other schools? I’ll wait. I have no doubt Cohen got the best guy in the pool of guys that would take the job.

Bubb Rubb
06-25-2018, 07:04 AM

I saw no evidence of Cohen meddling with the program with cannizaro here. Of course he was more involved after the scandal...he had to be.