PDA

View Full Version : So, what was the problem with Schlossnagle?

AlSwearengen
06-24-2018, 11:01 PM
Now that it is apparently done, can we stop speaking in code and someone who knows, tell us what the problem was?

The guy was apparently calling our recruits at one point. Comes to Starkville and shit has gone south. What happened?

I fully expect to see the guy at FSU next year and probably buying a second house in Omaha.

msstate7
06-24-2018, 11:03 PM
We just like lemonis better than schloss, Corbin, tadlock, and McDonnell

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-24-2018, 11:14 PM
Now that it is apparently done, can we stop speaking in code and someone who knows, tell us what the problem was?

The guy was apparently calling our recruits at one point. Comes to Starkville and shit has gone south. What happened?

I fully expect to see the guy at FSU next year and probably buying a second house in Omaha.

Absolutely 0 insider knowledge, if I had to guess I'd say it's something simple. Schloss wanted to take the job, thought his wife would be on board, and she flipped out. or another option, 2) he wanted to leave TCU because of some dumb beef with the AD, and once he got serious about leaving the AD was able to clear it up. or 3), Schloss wanted some bigger commitment from the school and was willing to leave if he didn't get it, and they only did so at the very last second.

i don't know, it may have been that Cohen pissed him off, but that doesn't seem like Cohen

Dawg2003
06-24-2018, 11:39 PM
Bo Bounds said that he pressured Cohen while we were in regionals and Cohen didn’t want to make an announcement at that pount. Then, as we all saw, Schloss embarrassed Cohen in the media by publicly withdrawing his name.

mstatefan91
06-24-2018, 11:41 PM
Bo Bounds said that he pressured Cohen while we were in regionals and Cohen didn’t want to make an announcement at that pount. Then, as we all saw, Schloss embarrassed Cohen in the media by publicly withdrawing his name.

Bad look all the way around if true

BeardoMSU
06-24-2018, 11:46 PM

Well that's depressing...

mstatefan91
06-25-2018, 12:00 AM
Well that's depressing...

Not saying this happened but how do you expect to get the job if you embarrass your potential boss before you are even hired??? Insane

Irondawg
06-25-2018, 12:13 AM
I just can't buy that argument because they could have an agreement in principle and even signed the darn thing with the understanding that we wouldn't announce until after our season was over. And if it is true for some weird reason I think it would have to be a warning sign if you have a coach that wants to upstage his future players like that.

Dawg2003
06-25-2018, 12:25 AM
Bad look all the way around if true

Yeah. I think we had Schloss because their pitching coach (Sarloss?) was all but gone to Rice. He was gonna vacate once Schloss was out.

deadheaddawg
06-25-2018, 01:16 AM
Just speculating, but could schloss have been the guy but as the tournament run developed Cohen decided Gautreau has to stay on staff but schloss wanted his guy and that's why it fell through?

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 01:56 AM

Schloss was probably pressured by TCU to let them know something one way or the other. If it was me I would have told TCU I was staying and then left when the time was right. Not a damn thing they could have done about it either.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 01:57 AM
Just speculating, but could schloss have been the guy but as the tournament run developed Cohen decided Gautreau has to stay on staff but schloss wanted his guy and that's why it fell through?

Not likely since Schlossnagle coached Gautreau at Tulane and the likelihood that the NCAA is going to probably add another full time assistant for baseball in a year or so.

Todd4State
06-25-2018, 01:59 AM
Not saying this happened but how do you expect to get the job if you embarrass your potential boss before you are even hired??? Insane

People make poor job related decisions everyday. It's why people are fired everyday.

Dawg2003
06-25-2018, 02:09 AM
Schloss was probably pressured by TCU to let them know something one way or the other. If it was me I would have told TCU I was staying and then left when the time was right. Not a damn thing they could have done about it either.

That?s true. I wonder if Cohen was mainly mad that Schloss officially made it known he was a candidate by publicly withdrawing his name? Cohen doesn?t seem like he plays that game or gives second chances.

SandlotDawg
06-25-2018, 06:48 AM
I do not think Cohen is small minded enough to let that be the reason to not hire Schloss. He may have wanted the job... or he may have been interested but not enough to jump ship. All the bs about him talking to recruits and campaigning for the job is all speculation and has no merrit. I think in the end, he actually turned us down and it was a tough decision. But regardless, Cohen isn’t petty enough to hold a grudge. Even if Schloss did all of that, Cohen would have hired him

Saltydog
06-25-2018, 07:52 AM
NT

MarketingBully
06-25-2018, 07:55 AM
NT

I think if Cohen really wanted Thompson he’s a fool to stay at Auburn. Just my opinion but Lemonis will be at MSU much much longer then Thompson will be at Auburn. Thompson will be fired at Auburn after two missed regionals. It’s not a good job.

Liverpooldawg
06-25-2018, 08:29 AM
I'm not sure how good the source is but here is what I heard: Cohen interviewed Schloss and things went well. Cohen told him he had a couple of more interviews to conduct and he would let him know. Schloss didn't like that and wanted an offer right then or else. Cohen chose else.

ShotgunDawg
06-25-2018, 08:36 AM
I'm not sure how good the source is but here is what I heard: Cohen interviewed Schloss and things went well. Cohen told him he had a couple of more interviews to conduct and he would let him know. Schloss didn't like that and wanted an offer right then or else. Cohen chose else.

If true, I don't blame Schloss for that & Cohen should've been prepared for that.

Schloss is running a big time program & he can't be left in limbo either.

I am good with the Lemonis hire, but I sincerely hope that John's ego didn't get in the way with Schloss.

I've always felt that Cohen's ability to hire coaches in other sports may be better than his ability to hire a baseball coach. John knows what a good coach his, & is more objective with other sports. I've always worried that his ego would work against him when hiring a baseball coach.

Activated Alpha
06-25-2018, 08:40 AM

Then you make an offer right then and there

Jarius
06-25-2018, 08:47 AM
As I said yesterday, Schloss had Cannizarro issues. Paul Jones confirmed that he was hearing the same thing just yesterday afternoon on his board. We were not about to hire a guy with those issues 5 months after our fiasco. It just was not going to happen.

ShotgunDawg
06-25-2018, 08:50 AM
As I said yesterday, Schloss had Cannizarro issues. Paul Jones confirmed that he was hearing the same thing just yesterday afternoon on his board. We were not about to hire a guy with those issues 5 months after our fiasco. It just was not going to happen.

But he works for a Christian university that apparently has no issues with him.

There is a disconnect here

Liverpooldawg
06-25-2018, 08:51 AM
Then you make an offer right then and there

Only if you are dead sure he is who you want. I have to hire people sometimes. That would have put me off bigtime. It sends up some pretty big red flags.

MarketingBully
06-25-2018, 08:54 AM

I doubt he’s there after this year.

Lance Harbor
06-25-2018, 08:55 AM
Schloss was never officially offered the position.

Jarius
06-25-2018, 08:55 AM

Please. Spare me the Christian university spill. The guy has been elite. He's not going to get fired unless he does something stupid like Canni did. He has not let it cause job performance issues yet. We just could not take that chance with the exact same thing going on and blowing up in our face 5 months ago.

MarketingBully
06-25-2018, 09:01 AM
Please. Spare me the Christian university spill. The guy has been elite. He's not going to get fired unless he does something stupid like Canni did. He has not let it cause job performance issues yet. We just could not take that chance with the exact same thing going on and blowing up in our face 5 months ago.

He missed one regional and I think unless he has an elite year next year his off the field issues may catch up with him. I think he will eye that Florida State opening as a possible landing place next year. I think it was telling they didn’t extend or add to Schloss’ compensation nor did they commit to any of the items he was wanting such as a new stadium or reducing the tuition. They did however lock Saarloos up with higher pay and more compensation. The writing on the wall is there.

ShotgunDawg
06-25-2018, 09:05 AM

Meh, that's a lame excuse. Not buying it

Thick
06-25-2018, 09:08 AM
Bo Bounds said that he pressured Cohen while we were in regionals and Cohen didn?t want to make an announcement at that pount. Then, as we all saw, Schloss embarrassed Cohen in the media by publicly withdrawing his name.

This is correct. Rule of thumb when dealing with the hiring manager/AD, don?t pressure them. After Schloss withdrew his name publicly, he actually re-approached JC and tried to make amends but at that point it was too late. You don?t screw around with the ?IB?. (He also has/had an issue w/ the ladies.....allegedly)

ShotgunDawg
06-25-2018, 09:12 AM
This is correct. Rule of thumb when dealing with the hiring manager/AD, don?t pressure them. After Schloss withdrew his name publicly, he actually re-approached JC and tried to make amends but at that point it was too late. You don?t screw around with the ?IB?. (He also has/had an issue w/ the ladies.....allegedly)

Isn't this ego problem with Cohen then?

Ezsoil
06-25-2018, 09:20 AM
I was told that the interview did not go well. I understand he asked questions about houses and country clubs and not the future of the program. I was told “it wasn’t a good fit” ...by him asking about houses and country clubs, I believe that it may have been the wife who was in his ear saying she did not want to move from Fort Worth to Starkville

Wasn’t this the same quote we heard about Jeremy Pruitt? And as we have seen ..it looks like Cohen was correct in that case.

msstate7
06-25-2018, 09:20 AM

If we could've had schloss, then Cohen messed up. About the best we can hope for in lemonis is he becomes what schloss is

Liverpooldawg
06-25-2018, 09:21 AM

It's more likely that you have it backwards.

Jarius
06-25-2018, 09:32 AM
Meh, that's a lame excuse. Not buying it

That's pretty easy for you to say since your job is not on the line.

Thick
06-25-2018, 09:39 AM

Don’t blame Cohen for Schlossnagle’s arrogance. If the AD wants the hiring process to be done a certain way and you really want the job and are the front runner, then you STFU and wait it out. Not being ugly, but come on guys. Would you allow yourself to be bullied during YOUR hiring process? That would show the candidate that his boss is weak, and that he could come and go as he pleases.

msstatelp1
06-25-2018, 09:40 AM

Baylor is a Christian university that apparently has no issues with a lot of things.

was21
06-25-2018, 09:55 AM
Agree. Christianity has absolutely nothing to do with it

smootness
06-25-2018, 10:00 AM
Bo Bounds said that he pressured Cohen while we were in regionals and Cohen didn?t want to make an announcement at that pount. Then, as we all saw, Schloss embarrassed Cohen in the media by publicly withdrawing his name.

There is no way that is true. Why would Schlossnagle care that much when it was announced?

smootness
06-25-2018, 10:06 AM
Based on this thread, all I know is that at best, about 2% of those on this board who claim good sources are correct.

'I heard', 'My source said', 'Apparently'...and every single one is something different. It is far more likely that none of us know what happened. Maybe Schloss just decided he'd rather stay at TCU.

BuckyIsAB****
06-25-2018, 01:51 PM
I was told that the interview did not go well. I understand he asked questions about houses and country clubs and not the future of the program. I was told “it wasn’t a good fit” ...by him asking about houses and country clubs, I believe that it may have been the wife who was in his ear saying she did not want to move from Fort Worth to Starkville

Wasn’t this the same quote we heard about Jeremy Pruitt? And as we have seen ..it looks like Cohen was correct in that case.

Pruitt wanted us more than we wanted Pruitt. I do think he is a good coach though. He will be the best UT has had since Fulmer

Liverpooldawg
06-25-2018, 01:59 PM
Pruitt wanted us more than we wanted Pruitt. I do think he is a good coach though. He will be the best UT has had since Fulmer

Nah, that was Kiffen, just ask him.

BuckyIsAB****
06-25-2018, 02:01 PM
Nah, that was Kiffen, just ask him.

He definitely has an argument with the job he is doing at FAU. He didnt handle the UT situation very well admittedly but he is a good offensive coach.

Lane definitely can get under some peoples skin. I actually like him.

Political Hack
06-25-2018, 02:06 PM
Thick's post is what happened, but I understand that Cohen and company are pretty happy with how things ended and the guy we got. Time will tell.

32 Dive
06-25-2018, 02:10 PM
I think the truthful answer to this, will remain as mysterious as this classic query:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6rHeD5x2tI