PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL: Lemonis is the new head coach!

DawgBone
06-24-2018, 09:24 PM
Per Kendall Rogers on Twitter.

vv83
06-24-2018, 09:25 PM
Not official

ShotgunDawg
06-24-2018, 09:25 PM
Kendall Rogers

Verified account

@KendallRogers
3m3 minutes ago
More
BREAKING: I’m hearing from sources that @IndianaBase head coach Chris Lemonis will be the next head coach at @HailStateBB, and that top #HailState assistant Jake Gautreau will stay on staff. If that doesn’t change, I really like that duo.

ShotgunDawg
06-24-2018, 09:30 PM
He was Louisville's recruiting coordinator for all those Omaha team.

We just hired McDonnell 2.0. We hired who McDonnell told us to hire.

Cohen wanted McDonnell, but instead got who McDonnell said was the next him

Todd4State
06-24-2018, 09:31 PM

And I am good with that. Especially with Gautreau staying. Just need an elite pitching coach now.

Cooterpoot
06-24-2018, 09:32 PM
He’s not been good at Indiana. This would’ve been a nice looking hire 4 years ago. But not now that he’s got a HC record with nothing impressive done there.

ShotgunDawg
06-24-2018, 09:32 PM
Get to know Chris Lemonis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz10xtwLiNY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ByppYzJk5Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkDiKT299qw

Todd4State
06-24-2018, 09:33 PM
He’s not been good at Indiana. This would’ve been a nice looking hire 4 years ago. But not now that he’s got a HC record with nothing impressive done there.

Four winning seasons and made a regional this year with 40 wins. That program has zero resources.

BrunswickDawg
06-24-2018, 09:34 PM
Get to know Chris Lemonis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ByppYzJk5Y

Looks like Cann 2.0
Wonder if he wears a beanie when he works out?

Cooterpoot
06-24-2018, 09:34 PM
And before he got there they won the conference the two years prior and made the CWS. He’s gone backwards.

msstate7
06-24-2018, 09:35 PM
He?s not been good at Indiana. This would?ve been a nice looking hire 4 years ago. But not now that he?s got a HC record with nothing impressive done there.

Everyone was against Henderson bc Kentucky fell off after Cohen left. Indiana won back-to-back big 10 titles the year before lemonis came. Lemonis has finished 6th, tie 3rd, 6th, and 5th in big 10

Indiana offensive ranks in big 10
Avg - 3rd
Slugging - 1st
OBP - 4th
Runs - 3rd
2b - 3rd
3b - 7th
HR - 1st

ETA... looked at wrong year. I corrected the stats, and feel much better about him

ShotgunDawg
Four winning seasons and made a regional this year with 40 wins. That program has zero resources.

Agree. It's a tough place to win. Louisville, Kentucky, and Vandy get all the recruits around there.

Turfdawg67
Kendall Rogers

Verified account

@KendallRogers
3m3 minutes ago
More
BREAKING: I’m hearing from sources that @IndianaBase head coach Chris Lemonis will be the next head coach at @HailStateBB, and that top #HailState assistant Jake Gautreau will stay on staff. If that doesn’t change, I really like that duo.

Not official but looking like it...

YAWN. Now watch Corbin, McDonnell & Schloss falling all over themselves to be FSU's coach next year. SMH.

ShotgunDawg
06-24-2018, 09:36 PM
And before he got there they won the conference the two years prior and made the CWS. He’s gone backwards.

They also had 2 transcendent players on those teams before he got there with Kyle Schwarber & Sam Travis

It's unrealistic to replace those guys at Indiana. That's 2 MLB starting power hitters

KOdawg1
06-24-2018, 09:36 PM
I didn't want us to hire Henderson because I thought we could do better, but I'm not so sure this guy is better. They're about the same in my eyes

Turfdawg67
06-24-2018, 09:37 PM
Everyone was against Henderson bc Kentucky fell off after Cohen left. Indiana won back-to-back big 10 titles the year before lemonis came. Lemonis has finished 6th, tie 3rd, 6th, and 5th in big 10

Why let facts get in the way 7... at least Gautraeu is staying, and boy that was some impressive batting recently.

Cooterpoot
I’m calling it a terrible hire based on his HC performance.

ShotgunDawg

Avg - 10th
Slugging - 8th
OBP - 10th
Runs - 9th
2b - 10th
3b - 10th
HR - 5th

Again, the year before he got there they had Kyle Schwarber & Sam Travis. The 2 best players in their program's history.

ShotgunDawg
06-24-2018, 09:38 PM
I didn't want us to hire Henderson because I thought we could do better, but I'm not so sure this guy is better. They're about the same in my eyes

This is better. Lemonis is a mature Canny. Recruiting & player development. It'll work

Turfdawg67
They also had 2 transcendent players on those teams before he got there with Kyle Schwarber & Sam Travis

It's unrealistic to replace those guys at Indiana. That's 2 MLB starting power hitters

Then he can't recruit. Which was one of the arguments against Henderson.

Todd4State

Avg - 10th
Slugging - 8th
OBP - 10th
Runs - 9th
2b - 10th
3b - 10th
HR - 5th

I'm not worried about the offense with Gautreau staying.

BeardoMSU
This is better. Lemonis is a mature Canny. Recruiting & player development. It'll work

I agree with this.

ShotgunDawg
06-24-2018, 09:39 PM
Looks like Cann 2.0

He's a more mature Cann.

Cohen knew what he wanted when he hired Cann but it didn't work out, not because of baseball reasons.

What does he do? Goes out & hires a more mature Cann with a resume.

He didn't change the formula

Cooterpoot
06-24-2018, 09:39 PM

So you’re saying he can’t recruit top end players? Somebody recruited those guys.

bigplayslay
06-24-2018, 09:40 PM

Kendall Rodgers and Aaron fitt are saying that he?s a hell of a recruiter

ShotgunDawg

If you think he can't recruit to Indiana because a program with no history or conference lost the two best hitters in America, then I don't know what to say.

He recruited those Louisville players

The Federalist Engineer

McD is now calling Bianco...."I just did you a big favor, buddy. I just ****ed up MSU for 10 years! You owe me buddy"

ShotgunDawg
06-24-2018, 09:41 PM
So you’re saying he can’t recruit top end players? Somebody recruited those guys.

I'm saying he couldn't back fill 2 future MLB All stars. Slight difference

msstate7
06-24-2018, 09:42 PM
Again, the year before he got there they had Kyle Schwarber & Sam Travis. The 2 best players in their program's history.

Stats were incorrect. See my edit above

GreenheadDawg
06-24-2018, 09:42 PM
Yawn. Boring as hell

Cooterpoot
06-24-2018, 09:43 PM
I'm saying he couldn't back fill 2 future MLB All stars. Slight difference

No it’s not. If he’s this great recruiter that people thought he was when Indiana hired him, he’d have filled those shoes. He’s not recruited at the level of the previous coach. Not had his teams performed at that level.

msstate7
06-24-2018, 09:43 PM

Stats are wrong. I edited above. Stats were impressive. Apologies

Turfdawg67
06-24-2018, 09:44 PM
Kendall Rodgers and Aaron fitt are saying that he?s a hell of a recruiter

He's taken IU backwards and Shotgun is saying it's because he couldn't replace their best players... sounds like a heck of a recruiter. This is our big name for our big time program? Please. Cann was because Cohen didn't have time, I guess this time it's because no one else wanted it. Blah.

ShotgunDawg
Lemonis grew up on the Mississippi Gulf Coast

Sammy Lemonis

@splemonis
Follow Follow @splemonis
More
Replying to @bobounds
I emailed Chris Lemonis a few years ago, because we have the same last name and there are not many of us. Found out he grew up on the MS Gulf Coast. Dad was in the military if I remember correctly.

Jack Lambert
Has he been correct yet?

ShotgunDawg
06-24-2018, 09:46 PM
Guys, let's not be Tennessee football here.

Get your bitching out today & they hold it till we actually see wins & losses

bigplayslay
06-24-2018, 09:50 PM
He's taken IU backwards and Shotgun is saying it's because he couldn't replace their best players... sounds like a heck of a recruiter. This is our big name for our big time program? Please. Cann was because Cohen didn't have time, I guess this time it's because no one else wanted it. Blah.

Haha well I guess we’ll find out soon enough. Just passing along what the baseball writers think.

Cooterpoot
06-24-2018, 09:57 PM
Guys, let's not be Tennessee football here.

Get your bitching out today & they hold it till we actually see wins & losses

Says the guy that trashed kids families for their game performance. Don’t go soft now SD.

MabenMaroon
06-24-2018, 09:58 PM
Looks like Cann 2.0

Looks like Cann, Ha! That's the first thing my wife said, and I tend to agree.

Homedawg
06-24-2018, 10:00 PM

Just recruit good hitters, they wil be fine. He inherited good talent and made them better. Nobody knows how good of a recruiter he will be. We will soon find out. And I’m talking about JG

Goldendawg
06-24-2018, 10:01 PM

Exactly, how would you describe a "mature Canny", too smart to get caught? Mature Canny is scary.

Homedawg
06-24-2018, 10:03 PM

Ok I’ll go with the blah hire. No question. But I’ll give him a chance. And I trust John . But next time just keep your mouth shut.

Homedawg
06-24-2018, 10:04 PM
Exactly, how would you describe a "mature Canny", too smart to get caught? Mature Canny is scary.

Now that’s funny! Good point!

Really Clark?
06-24-2018, 10:04 PM
Whoa. Let?s correct some things about Indiana baseball. Bob Morgan was the HC right before Smith for over 20 years and had over 1,000 wins. He was a great coach and won .646 of his games there. Smith actually won .100 less than Morgan. Now it was time for a change but don?t act like Smith was the best Indiana ever had. Not even close. He had 2 great years (his last they actually didn?t live up to their record) and parlayed that into the ASU job. And Smith has turned in the worst 4 year run in ASU?s history. Lemonis came into a rebuild

preachermatt83
06-24-2018, 10:06 PM

Exactly!! Best post I?ve seen all night!! And got him for 1/3 of the money.

preachermatt83
06-24-2018, 10:08 PM

Exactly. U are quickly becoming one of my favorite baseball posters gun.

preachermatt83
06-24-2018, 10:16 PM
Whoa. Let?s correct some things about Indiana baseball. Bob Morgan was the HC right before Smith for over 20 years and had over 1,000 wins. He was a great coach and won .646 of his games there. Smith actually won .100 less than Morgan. Now it was time for a change but don?t act like Smith was the best Indiana ever had. Not even close. He had 2 great years (his last they actually didn?t live up to their record) and parlayed that into the ASU job. And Smith has turned in the worst 4 year run in ASU?s history. Lemonis came into a rebuild
Yup. A MAJOR rebuild.

KOdawg1
06-24-2018, 10:21 PM
As an assistant and head coach, he's been in the NCAA tournament for 10 of the last 11 years.

Not bad

Goldendawg
06-24-2018, 10:22 PM
If this thread is true and soon to be official, I really expected more than three pages and about 50 quotes, many from the same people. Just sayin.

Bully13
06-24-2018, 10:26 PM
Well 17. I just completed a drive from San Antonio to fort worth that not once enabled me to hit cruze control and this is what I'm greeted with as my consolidation prize. Cohen on the clock. Hey MSU Guy heading north outa Austin in the Chevy SUV, What say you?

runwildjerious
06-24-2018, 10:29 PM
I trust Cohen's judgement. Get a top notch pitching coach and lets go!

msstate7
06-24-2018, 10:29 PM
Check this out...

Indiana rankings in big 10:
Avg - 2nd
Slugging - 1st
Obp - 4th
Runs - 3rd
Hits - 3rd
2b - 3rd
HR - 1st
Total bases - 3rd

Era - 1st
BAA - 3rd
Strike outs - 2nd
Runs allowed - 1st
Walks allowed - 2nd

Fielding % - 3rd

Big 10 finish - 5th

How the hell do you finish 5th in a conference you dominate in the stats?

Cooterpoot
06-24-2018, 10:30 PM
Leave pitchers in too long?*
Are those conference only stats?

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-24-2018, 10:30 PM

And when he came, he wasn't able to build on the success they had. He "ran the program into the ground", you could say.

I seen it dawg
06-24-2018, 10:31 PM
Check this out...

Avg - 2nd
Slugging - 1st
Obp - 4th
Runs - 3rd
Hits - 3rd
2b - 3rd
HR - 1st
Total bases - 3rd

Era - 1st
BAA - 3rd
Strike outs - 2nd
Runs allowed - 1st
Walks allowed - 2nd

Fielding % - 3rd

Big 10 finish - 5th

Eye test?

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-24-2018, 10:31 PM
As an assistant and head coach, he's been in the NCAA tournament for 10 of the last 11 years.

Not bad

So he was on staff at Louisville and made the CWS plural times... all that postseason experience, and what did he learn? Apparently nothing, since his Indiana teams have never made it out of a regional.

The purpose of wanting "tournament experience" is that the coach will know what a team goes through, and will be prepared to help his team succeed in it. If you Had a lot of experence and yet proved as a HC you can't turn on the mojo come tourney time, then imo that's worse than hiring an assistant with little postseason experience. At least they have a chance to know what to do, this guy seems to be nothing special come tourney time

msstate7
06-24-2018, 10:33 PM
Leave pitchers in too long?*
Are those conference only stats?

Conf only

Goldendawg
06-24-2018, 10:38 PM
Honest question. Who are the best programs in Big 10 baseball?

msstate7
06-24-2018, 10:40 PM

Indiana, Purdue, and Minnesota this year.

ScottH
06-24-2018, 10:41 PM

That's like identifying the tallest midget. (political correctness be damed)

BeardoMSU
06-24-2018, 10:41 PM
Check this out...

Avg - 2nd
Slugging - 1st
Obp - 4th
Runs - 3rd
Hits - 3rd
2b - 3rd
HR - 1st
Total bases - 3rd

Era - 1st
BAA - 3rd
Strike outs - 2nd
Runs allowed - 1st
Walks allowed - 2nd

Fielding % - 3rd

Big 10 finish - 5th

You've got my attention...

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-24-2018, 10:43 PM
Yup. A MAJOR rebuild.

I don't see how it was a big rebuild. You win the conference in '13, you win the conference in '14, you lose 2 great hitters, and now for 4 years it takes an elite coach just to make regionals. Did all the contributors from '14 graduate? If so, did the previous coach that built 2 really good teams just stop recruiting his last 3 years leaving Lemonis nothing? Both of those things would have to be true for it to be a major rebuild job. And you know what? even if it was a major rebuild, why hasn't Lemonis improved the team in his 4 years? Cohen had an actual major rebuild, and he made the Supers in year 3. Lemonis hasn't improved the team much in 4 years... why, if he's a great recruiter and coach, would 4 classes not be enough to turn them into a better team than the one he took over, let alone the 2 that preceded him...

Really Clark?
06-24-2018, 10:43 PM
So he was on staff at Louisville and made the CWS plural times... all that postseason experience, and what did he learn? Apparently nothing, since his Indiana teams have never made it out of a regional.

The purpose of wanting "tournament experience" is that the coach will know what a team goes through, and will be prepared to help his team succeed in it. If you Had a lot of experence and yet proved as a HC you can't turn on the mojo come tourney time, then imo that's worse than hiring an assistant with little postseason experience. At least they have a chance to know what to do, this guy seems to be nothing special come tourney time

You have to put the conference in perspective though. Difficult conference for any team to get the talent to make a tourney run. The conference has had only one team make the CWS since MI in 1984, Indiana in 2013.

Goldendawg
06-24-2018, 10:45 PM
That's like identifying the tallest midget. (political correctness be damed)

That's what I was afraid of. Probably big baseball fan bases and revenue producing programs in Big 10 baseball. Of course, nobody supports it like the SEC and the NCAA's 11.7 rule is pathetic.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-24-2018, 10:47 PM
Across Reddit, SECrant and twitter I'm consistently seeing people saying he's a great recruiter, and a below average gameday coach and player developer. It could all be people parroting one or two sources, like I am here, but that sounds great.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-24-2018, 10:56 PM
Across Reddit, SECrant and twitter I'm consistently seeing people saying he's a great recruiter, and a below average gameday coach and player developer. It could all be people parroting one or two sources, like I am here, but that sounds great.

I can handle the game day coach stuff, but the player development is a huge red flag. "Oh but we have Jake, and can hire a great pitching coach!" you might say.... yes, but Lemonis had those at Indiana and the guys he hired were not good at developing players. Jake will get a HC job soon. The new pitching coach will be hired by Lemonis. Jakes replacement will be hired by Lemonis.

If Lemonis has bad player development, it's probably because of bad assistant hires. That will come back to bite us very soon. To win Nattys, you can't just recruit, you have to build on what you get

runwildjerious
06-24-2018, 10:59 PM
I can handle the game day coach stuff, but the player development is a huge red flag. "Oh but we have Jake, and can hire a great pitching coach!" you might say.... yes, but Lemonis had those at Indiana and the guys he hired were not good at developing players. Jake will get a HC job soon. The new pitching coach will be hired by Lemonis. Jakes replacement will be hired by Lemonis.

If Lemonis has bad player development, it's probably because of bad assistant hires. That will come back to bite us very soon. To win Nattys, you can't just recruit, you have to build on what you get

Gonna have to trust Cohen?s judgment on all of this. From everything I have seen from Indiana fans they are pretty upset he is leaving. Very different from our reaction to Mullen leaving. That is pretty telling to me.

WeWonItAll(Most)
06-24-2018, 11:04 PM

Yea, I'm glad we're keeping Jake, but relying on an assistant to make up for a coach's insufficiencies right out of the gate is playing with fire.

DeputyDawg94
06-24-2018, 11:17 PM
I would have rather seen Jake get promoted. Oh well, hope this hire works out as well as the JoMo hire appears to be going.

IMissJack
06-24-2018, 11:26 PM
I would have preferred a more seasoned coach, that does not mean he won't be successful. However, most top tier teams tend to hire a coach with a bit more on the tourney resume. I'll support anyone wearing the maroon and white, but I don't consider this a home run hire after all the BS with this search. Good luck to the new coach, this is going to be trial by fire in the SEC W.

ChillOutDog
06-24-2018, 11:31 PM
Home Run Hire

We got our McDonnall.

Ezsoil
06-24-2018, 11:34 PM
its The impact of a lead ballon .....this is pathetic...you dis a guy who you have had a ten year relationship and did what nobody thought could be done ....so is he just going to fire Henderson? I’m not saying Henderson should have gotten a four year contract but damn, the optics on this look so bad.

Dawg2003
06-24-2018, 11:35 PM
Reading about this guy, and I’m excited. Seems to be a great recruiter & a McDonnell acolyte. I was seriously convinced we would get Hendo due to lack of better options. The IB knows what he is doing, and I trust him.

ChillOutDog
06-24-2018, 11:36 PM
its The impact of a lead ballon .....this is pathetic...you dis a guy who you have had a ten year relationship and did what nobody thought could be done ....so is he just going to fire Henderson? I’m not saying Henderson should have gotten a four year contract but damn, the optics on this look so bad.

Cohen had the stones to do what’s right.

preachermatt83
06-24-2018, 11:39 PM

Yup

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-24-2018, 11:40 PM

I will say this for him, Cohen 100% makes what he believes to be the best long term hires. he will take any and every PR hit is need be. Not that that means I'm sold on this hire, or aren't pissed at Cohen for running his mouth... but there's a lot of ADs who care more about their immediate fan support than they do about getting the hire right

IMissJack
06-24-2018, 11:42 PM
Home Run Hire

We got our McDonnall.

I doubt we would be seeing the debate on this board that we are if this was a true home run. There would be more consensus.

Todd4State
06-24-2018, 11:54 PM
I doubt we would be seeing the debate on this board that we are if this was a true home run. There would be more consensus.

There wouldn't be any debate had Cohen not run his mouth. Lemonis has a better track record than Cann and there was no debate there.

IMissJack
06-25-2018, 12:00 AM
There wouldn't be any debate had Cohen not run his mouth. Lemonis has a better track record than Cann and there was no debate there.

I don't disagree Todd. The only thing that got Cann a lot of cred was the LSU connection. I think most people are just seeing this as an ok hire due to the "NAMES" that have been tossed around here for the past 3 months by those "in the know".

3rdGen
06-25-2018, 12:03 AM

I just told my wife it sounds like Hendo and Cann had a baby. According to the house here he can recruit but is a bad game day decision maker and can’t develop players. Honestly guys I don’t know enough about him to care..... I mean I don’t care enough to look...... Cohen damn your loose lips spewing false hope.... sighs(underwhelmed, puts phone down and closes eyes... good night HAILSTATE...I hope I’m wrong (cann 2.0 and for **** sake get Schlossnagle on the phone)).

Turfdawg67
06-25-2018, 12:21 AM
Ok I?ll go with the blah hire. No question. But I?ll give him a chance. And I trust John . But next time just keep your mouth shut.

https://s8.postimg.cc/p7wadrq2d/IMG_0499.gif

Dawg2003
06-25-2018, 12:36 AM
The Twitter meltdown has been pretty epic. I’m glad it’s over honestly. Feels like this has lasted forever.

msstate7
06-25-2018, 06:12 AM
Home Run Hire

We got our McDonnall.
In Louisville history before McDonnell, Louisville made 1 regional. McDonnell made the CWS his first year at Louisville (the program's first CWS, first regional win, first SR, and 2nd ever regional). McDonnell has missed 1 regional in 12 years since. McDonnell has all but 1 of Louisville's regional appearance, ever. McDonnell has won his conference 6 of 12 years, and has made the CWS 4 times. McDonnell's worst finish in conference is 4th. In McDonnell's first 4 years, he won 47, 41, 47, and 50.

Indiana won their conference back-to-back year's before lemonis got there. They made a CWS 2 years before he got there. Lemonis hasn't finished better than tied for 3rd once in the big 10 in 4 years. Lemonis has made regionals in 3 of 4 years. His win totals are 35, 32, 34, and 40.

Lemonis may turn out great, but nothing suggests he's in the same galaxy as McDonnell at the moment.

Sienfield
06-25-2018, 07:14 AM
If this is such a home run hire then why wasn't this guy listed in some of you guys top ten list of applicants? Maybe I missed it and some had him listed but this is the first time I've seen the name.

I'll give the guy a chance but I see a meh type hire.