PDA

View Full Version : Fluorocarbon fishing line

BeastMan
10-11-2013, 02:52 PM
Was hoping for a little discussion/feedback on the fluorocarbon lines. The type of fishing I do (for the most part) requires me to have an 18-24 inch leader under a cork. I've always just gone with a 20-25 lb mono. I'm the type that doesn't get caught up in hype. I've caught plenty of fish on a $100 rod and reel and monofilament line & leaders. The last few guides trips Ive been on all used flouro leaders.

The breaking point for me is that I've usually just bought the tie-on bottom rigs & cork w/leades where you just clip on a hook. It's pretty dang easy. This summer I lost a handful of fish from the metal fastening piece breaking. Not the line or leader. It has pissed me off enough to start making all my own leader setups. I bought Berkley Vanish 25lb flouro leader line.

My main question is should I really expect more success? I know many bass guys are spooling with flouro exclusively now. Is it getting that many more bites?

I've always treated fishing equipment like golf clubs. A shitty golfer isn't going to hit it well if his irons cost $300 or $3k.

Barking 13
10-11-2013, 03:21 PM
FWIW.. I use flouro like a tool on specific applications... I generally use 17lb flouro on contact baits like jigs and soft plastics, and 10lb flouro on drop shots and shaky head setups. I pretty much use variable # mono on everything else, except braid in a couple applications (frog & A-rig). I've used several types of flouro with mixed results, but I think I like the 100% Berkley and Seaguar the best. Sunline and Vicious did well too but had memory.

I know we keep talking apples and oranges because fresh and salt require different methods and equipment.... with that said, on your comment about equipment, I tend to buy the best that I can afford, and I look for bargains and used equipment also.. There is a difference between a $40 lightning rod and a $300 Loomis GLX.. I fall somewhere in between.

BeastMan
10-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Sounds like we approach equipment about the same. No way I'm buying cheapest but I'm also not gonna go slap stupid and spend a fortune.

I get what your saying about apples and oranges but my understanding of the flouro argument is that it is invincible in the water and that leaves less to keep a fishing from eating your bait. I completely understand the different applications and methods b/c I do that as well depending on where I'm fishing and things like depth, structure, target species, etc...

But the theory that it leads to more hits should be comparable to any species of fish or water imo

SnakePlissken
10-12-2013, 12:06 AM
I love flouro and not only use it for my leader in salt water fishing but I use it exclusively for my tippet when fly fishing. Smaller diameter with greater strength and certainly less visible.

Offshore Dawg
10-12-2013, 06:51 AM
I use Flouro leaders under Popping corks without fail. cast a rig with one and cast one with mono and you will see which gets the most hits.

Natedogg33
10-13-2013, 08:50 PM
I went to flouro leaders on my Carolina rigs, and my bites went way up. Flouro is good for leaders and bottom baits. Top water baits, stay with mono or braid.

J-Dawg
10-14-2013, 09:54 AM
I made the switch from straight mono to straight flouro on my bass fishing baitcasters recently. Not only is the flouro more durable, it's practically invisible to the fish and I also find it to be more sensitive and responsive. I've had more "crisp" hook-sets since I've made the switch. Mono is stretchy, which may be the difference.

I'd love to spool some braid at one point, but I've thrown my buddies braided line a few times and I think I'd have to completely re-learn how to cast my baitcaster. I guess I could always buy a new spinning reel where it really wouldn't matter, but I'm a baitcaster fan for bass fishing.

I do have a little ultra-light spinning reel setup that I will occasionally take in my kayak to try and land a few crappies or bream depending on where I'm fishing. I have relatively light mono spooled on it because it's lighter and generally more flexible.

I'm so intrigued by all this talk of leaders and salt talk. I really need to take the yak down there and give it a try with someone that would lend me a saltwater setup for an afternoon.