PDA

View Full Version : Retire the banana to the annals of gimmicks like "we believe".

Leroy Jenkins
06-24-2018, 07:20 AM
Corny and kitschy.

Let the players have their thing. Fans and media made it overdone. Its like when your parents start to like your music, its not cool anymore.

klong-dog
06-24-2018, 07:52 AM
Westburg started it. Can't help the social media and everyone else running with it from there. Yeah, the "we believe" campaign was a disastrous idea from the get go.

Mutt the Hoople
06-24-2018, 08:15 AM
Rocketdawg, you remember this one.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zGvtBCgKeY

msstate7
06-24-2018, 08:29 AM
I thought it was just our kids having fun... not a real talisman

Leroy Jenkins
06-24-2018, 08:45 AM
I thought it was just our kids having fun... not a real talisman

Whatever the team does is fine, let it be their thing, Im all for that. But, when everyone's grandmothers are walking around with bananas sewn on their straw hat its silly.

Okrastar1
06-24-2018, 08:56 AM
This is the most Old man Screaming “get off my lawn” or “back in my day” post ever. Man get a grip, it’s not gonna be the new cowbell or HailState rallycry... it was something completely made out of a moment. Not getting carried any further, just like the bench mobb, or the crazy facial hair kick of 2013’s team! It’s been fun, let it die it’s natural death and never bring it up again...

Leroy Jenkins
06-24-2018, 09:03 AM
This is the most Old man Screaming “get off my lawn” or “back in my day” post ever. Man get a grip, it’s not gonna be the new cowbell or HailState rallycry... it was something completely made out of a moment. Not getting carried any further, just like the bench mobb, or the crazy facial hair kick of 2013’s team! It’s been fun, let it die it’s natural death and never bring it up again...

Easy, ma'am. Put some ice on your pu$$y, and settle down. The banana WAS great... fans and sideline reporters ruined it and made it overdone.

AusTexDawg
06-24-2018, 09:07 AM
This is the most Old man Screaming “get off my lawn” or “back in my day” post ever. Man get a grip, it’s not gonna be the new cowbell or HailState rallycry... it was something completely made out of a moment. Not getting carried any further, just like the bench mobb, or the crazy facial hair kick of 2013’s team! It’s been fun, let it die it’s natural death

+1

It was a natural thing that happens with some teams. Unlike “We Believe,” it was spontaneous and organic. Baseball is supposed to be fun, and the rally banana stuff was a fun part of the incredible journey this team made.

BB30
06-24-2018, 09:09 AM
Corny and kitschy.

That?s baseball man. No harm, no foul. I didn?t see anyone saying that while we were winning. Why wait until the salt sets in to say something if you didn?t like it from the get go?

Is it a little cheesy, yes, but who cares the whole point of sports for fans is entertainment. If someone enjoys feeling like a part of something I say wear your bananas. It won?t be here next year was just a one time thing.

This is completely different from the we believe thing that was manufactured by the school.

Cooterpoot
06-24-2018, 09:12 AM
I’m stuck with this banana in my pocket. Sorry

sleepy dawg
06-24-2018, 10:04 AM
I never liked it, but I don't have to like it. It wasn't about what I liked. If it gave our players some kind of confidence, then great. Let them do what they will.

Okrastar1
06-24-2018, 10:05 AM
Easy, ma'am. Put some ice on your pu$$y, and settle down. The banana WAS great... fans and sideline reporters ruined it and made it overdone.

Really funny to me that you are the only one with your pu$$y hurting with this bitching thread, you are what’s wrong with fandom.

I seen it dawg
06-24-2018, 11:16 AM
The main gimmick we have to get rid of is ****ing players coaching first base. It's the biggest joke in baseball. This isnt summer travel ball.

Dawg61
06-24-2018, 11:43 AM
Banana Rally is awesome. I'd like to get rid of catcher's that can't catch or hit from our starting lineup and freshman in their worst slump all year hitting in the 3 hole. I'd also like to get rid of stupid infield shifts and pitchers afraid to throw strikes.

Ari Gold
06-24-2018, 12:40 PM
There is a differcence in keeping the fun in college baseball compared to acting like a high girls softball team or a 9-10 year old travel ball team.
Players should retire the banana if the fans keep it going so be it.. you can actually blame ESPN for it running wild
Just clean some things up a little

Goldendawg
06-24-2018, 02:29 PM
I guess this is the wrong thread to bring up that song that's played at the end of the 3rd quarter no matter who we are playing and whether we are winning or not?********** BTW: Will sing at the top of my lungs with Ted Nugent and Augus Young sitting on each side of me, if we are stomping Fl at the end of the 3rd quarter in that game. Might even buy the album. Hail State!

sleepy dawg
06-24-2018, 02:55 PM
I guess this is the wrong thread to bring up that song that's played at the end of the 3rd quarter no matter who we are playing and whether we are winning or not?********** BTW: Will sing at the top of my lungs with Ted Nugent and Augus Young sitting on each side of me, if we are stomping Fl at the end of the 3rd quarter in that game. Might even buy the album. Hail State!

I get tired of doing anything for every game. For those who never or rarely miss a game, it would be nice to have differences in the games. Anytime something goes away for a little while, then comes back I always find myself happy to see it again, such as bad to the bone and bully on the dog house. I got sick of it, then we didn't see it for a bit. When it came back it was cool again.
I feel the same with Bruce Dickenson, Journey, etc. I'd like to save our best stuff for the big games and and mix in some new stuff and mix it up more for others.

MoreCowbell
06-24-2018, 04:16 PM
Corny and kitschy.

Let the players have their thing. Fans and media made it overdone. Its like when your parents start to like your music, its not cool anymore.

I agree. We are a top 15 baseball school and we were talked about that whole CWS broadcast like we were St. John?s making a run. Idk if anyone saw but the lead in to our game from sportscenter, the host said something like ?An elimination game tonight between baseball power Oregon State and the Cinderella team Mississippi State battle it out for the chance to go to the finals?... pissed me off.