PDA

View Full Version : So Nobody Thinks We Win Today?

confucius say
06-23-2018, 10:42 AM
Scanning the threads, I've seen countless predictions that we lose, but not one that we win.

We gave them 11 free passes yesterday via walks and hit batsmen, not even counting the misplayed fly ball and wild pitches. Yes they had 14 hits, but they were sitting 1-0, 2-0, 2-1, 3-1 all day. We threw strike one 15% of the time. Our missed locations were 2-3 feet misses. It was as poorly pitched a game as I've seen this year.

I don't think Small/France/Cole/Self do that today. No free passes, get ahead in counts, and make them earn everything offensively.

I'm by no means the optimist around here, but I think the mindset on here is being prisoner of yesterday's pants-crapping by our pitchers.

Quaoarsking
06-23-2018, 10:48 AM
Who is Oregon State pitching? Assuming it's not Molesto we should have a clear advantage with Small.

msstate7
06-23-2018, 10:49 AM
I think the game will be much more competitive. We have to get something from rowdey and Allen today if we want to keep playing

WSOPdawg
06-23-2018, 10:49 AM
Agree 100%, Confucius!!! We're what 5-0 in our last 5 elimination games? We have ALL of our top pitchers available today while OSU definitely cannot say the same.

Baseball is more of a team sport than any other sport, and a strong SPer can neutralize the most powerful offensive teams. We've got too many believing the ESPN talking heads regarding how we're just lucky to be breathing the same air as OSU. But in baseball, sometime it's better to be lucky (walk-offs and bananas) than good (3 MLB 1st-rounders).

We got this. Hail State!!!

confucius say
06-23-2018, 10:56 AM
Somebody tweet Kendall and ask him the pitching pairings. He announced it first yesterday.

sleepy dawg
06-23-2018, 10:58 AM
Who is Oregon State pitching? Assuming it's not Molesto we should have a clear advantage with Small.

I fully expect "Molesto" to to be available if needed at some point. His last 2 outings he only went about 3 innings.

99jc
06-23-2018, 11:03 AM
I fully expect "Molesto" to to be available if needed at some point. His last 2 outings he only went about 3 innings.

dreamed was possible for this team. Hail State.

dawgs
06-23-2018, 11:04 AM
I don't think we win today. That's not saying we won't win, I just don't predict it.

That said, I've predicted this season to be dunzo about 10 times this season only to be pleasantly proven wrong...

confucius say
06-23-2018, 11:11 AM
dreamed was possible for this team. Hail State.

Yea they can rake no doubt. Just have to make them earn it. I think we need to score at least 7.

Dawg2003
06-23-2018, 11:26 AM

Yeah, Small certainly gives us a chance. I don?t remember ever seeing him implode on the mound. Bats gotta come alive though. Last night was not a good hitting night. Either Rowdey or Tanner need to come back to consistency, or someone unexpected must step up. You always need someone unexpected to step up in postseason like Alexander and Westburg did.

BuckyIsAB****
06-23-2018, 11:26 AM
We're going to win the game

TNDawg35
06-23-2018, 11:39 AM
We may win today and we may not. I can see it both ways. I jut don't see anyone slowing Arkansas down. They are mashing and have their full rotation fresh for the 3 game series.

shannondawg
06-23-2018, 11:48 AM
Its pure and simple: Win, and you that say we lose ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

Bdawg
06-23-2018, 11:51 AM
We have plenty of good arms available today to win the game today. But we will also need our #2 & 3 hole hitters to show up this cws. We have to hit and pitch it well today. If either one lacks, we probably coming home.

Cooterpoot
06-23-2018, 11:59 AM
Going to take 8 runs to win today. I wouldn’t bet on or against us though.

Cooterpoot
06-23-2018, 12:01 PM
Need to shake up the lineup. Westburg has hit it too well to be 9 hole. Allen and Jordan are struggling.

DawgFromOxford
06-23-2018, 12:06 PM
I think we are done. Any time I get my hopes up the dawgs just tear them apart. I'll predict we get beat and be unbelievably happy about the season we had. If we win? Even better.

Pit Bull
06-23-2018, 12:06 PM
We may win today and we may not. I can see it both ways. I jut don't see anyone slowing Arkansas down. They are mashing and have their full rotation fresh for the 3 game series.

Yeah, using Small tonight eliminates him for a Finals appearance. So, we have to go with Pilk on Monday, JB on Tues, and u-pickem on Wed. if necessary. Not a good position to be in facing a team that rakes like the Hogs. Add in......they want revenge from the SBW sweep and there you have it. If we had Small able to go on Mon., it might be different.

MarketingBully
06-23-2018, 12:19 PM
I think we win today but it will be very hard to beat Arkansas with their starting rotation lined up (thanks Florida).

MarketingBully
06-23-2018, 12:21 PM
I will say this though. Teams that are 3-0 in the CWS going into the final series era are 4-5 against teams facing them with a loss. Thought that was an interesting stat.

ChillOutDog
06-23-2018, 12:27 PM
Yeah, using Small tonight eliminates him for a Finals appearance. So, we have to go with Pilk on Monday, JB on Tues, and u-pickem on Wed. if necessary. Not a good position to be in facing a team that rakes like the Hogs. Add in......they want revenge from the SBW sweep and there you have it. If we had Small able to go on Mon., it might be different.

Small would go on Wednesday. That would be a full three days rest.

I seen it dawg
06-23-2018, 12:31 PM
Need to shake up the lineup. Westburg has hit it too well to be 9 hole. Allen and Jordan are struggling.

And bench Skelton. But it won't happen bc "it got us this far don't change a thing." Which is stupid.

Bulldog1
06-23-2018, 12:32 PM
Skelton better not be in that lineup today.

Gilbert BA: .254
Skelton BA: .242

Gilbert SLG%: .386
Skelton SLG%: .325

Gilbert: 15 BB's in 114 AB's
Skelton: 12 BB's in 120 AB's

Gilbert OBP: .341
Skelton OBP: .338

Gilbert: 4 passed balls
Skelton: 10 passed balls

We're 21-9 when Gilbert starts.
We're 18-19 when Skelton starts.

Commercecomet24
06-23-2018, 12:36 PM
These kids are at their best with their backs against the wall. Adversity fuels them. I expect them to come out and get it done today. Win or lose this kids have given everything they got.

The Federalist Engineer
06-23-2018, 12:51 PM
The team will be inspired by having Small out there today. I think yesterday won't matter because the kids know we pitched the bottom and broken part of the pitching staff

10 runs and 13 hits would have still lost yesterday's game.

We need Gilbert starting today. Hopefully JC can make that happen. This moment is to important for the program. Just send the other cathcher home and use Basham as the backup

MarketingBully
06-23-2018, 12:52 PM
Wearing the black unis....8-2 with those bad boys.

bigplayslay
06-23-2018, 12:52 PM
Skelton better not be in that lineup today.

Gilbert BA: .254
Skelton BA: .242

Gilbert SLG%: .386
Skelton SLG%: .325

Gilbert: 15 BB's in 114 AB's
Skelton: 12 BB's in 120 AB's

Gilbert OBP: .341
Skelton OBP: .338

Gilbert: 4 passed balls
Skelton: 10 passed balls

We're 21-9 when Gilbert starts.
We're 18-19 when Gilbert starts.

Can’t emphasize this enough. Skelton has had his time and costed us plenty of runs in Nashville and in Omaha. If I’m an opposing coach I am running everytime on Skelton. Don’t get me started on his approach at the plate.

WSOPdawg
06-23-2018, 12:58 PM
Not that I'm into bashing our players (and I won't) but I still vividly remember Gilbert throwing out 3 Gators and pretty much shut their running game down. It's a trade-off (defense for offense) but imo we definitely need his glove and arm behind the dish today.

MarketingBully
06-23-2018, 01:06 PM
Not that I'm into bashing our players (and I won't) but I still vividly remember Gilbert throwing out 3 Gators and pretty much shut their running game down. It's a trade-off (defense for offense) but imo we definitely need his glove and arm behind the dish today.

Actually it’s not a trade off period. Skelton had a good Tallahassee regional but other then that he hasn’t done dick at the plate. Gilbert would be an upgrade on both accounts but I doubt Henderson does anything to our lineup.

somebodyshotmypaw
06-23-2018, 01:20 PM
Oregon State is really good. They have tons of talent, they are a great team, and they will be tough to beat. But I refuse to quit or give up until the final out is recorded. I'm a bulldog. Let's punch 'em in the mouth tonight.

DownwardDawg
06-23-2018, 02:18 PM
I think we win.

LC Dawg
06-23-2018, 02:21 PM
I wouldn't bet against our guys. They've been pretty damn resilient so far.

Dawg61
06-23-2018, 02:30 PM
Too many superstitious baseball fans on here always predicting losses cause they don't want to jinx a win. I think we win because our six best pitchers are all fresh, we are the home team, we haven't lost an elimination game and we are wearing black for Oregon State's funeral.

Goldendawg
06-23-2018, 02:45 PM
Oregon State is really good. They have tons of talent, they are a great team, and they will be tough to beat. But I refuse to quit or give up until the final out is recorded. I'm a bulldog. Let's punch 'em in the mouth tonight.

How does a team like Oregon stockpile so much talent year to year with the 11.7 scholarship rule. More baseball talent on west coast?

Dawg61
06-23-2018, 03:40 PM
More baseball talent on west coast?

Yes. California has more people than Canada.

bobtail bob
06-23-2018, 03:54 PM
Call me crazy, but i think we win tonight. Our kids know what's on the line and I expect them to give the tree gnawers their very best shot. Like Rocky their best doesn't come out until they've taken a few shots to the head.

Dawg61
06-23-2018, 04:17 PM
Call me crazy, but i think we win tonight. Our kids know what's on the line and I expect them to give the tree gnawers their very best shot. Like Rocky their best doesn't come out until they've taken a few shots to the head.

Let's start building some hurtin bombs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtjGvBnAxVE

dawgs
06-23-2018, 05:48 PM
Yes. California has more people than Canada.

They have a ton of Washington and Oregon kids though. They had way less Cali kids than I expected. A few Nevada, and a couple Idaho/Utah/Montana kids too.

preachermatt83
06-23-2018, 06:08 PM
I’m very confident we win in a close one today.

KOdawg1
06-23-2018, 06:17 PM
As we get closer to first pitch, the more optimistic I'm becoming. I guess that's the inner Mississippi State in me. Getting my hopes up only to rip my heart out in the end.

Screw it, balls to the wall boys. Lets come out and punch these West Coast p***ies in the mouth.

BB30
06-23-2018, 06:35 PM
They have a ton of Washington and Oregon kids though. They had way less Cali kids than I expected. A few Nevada, and a couple Idaho/Utah/Montana kids too.

Surprisingly Oregon is a pretty good baseball state. They also had the state practically to themselves for a long long time.