PDA

View Full Version : I think we hire schloss

preachermatt83
06-22-2018, 10:22 PM
I have no inside sources nor am I saying someone has even told me it will happen but just In my little mind I think there is something fishy with the whole schloss deal. I think there was too much smoke around the rumor of schloss coming so Cohen and schloss agreed to stop it for the sake of this years team but with the full agreement that schloss would be named head coach at the conclusion of our season. Now I?m sure they will say it was never offered or that schloss had a change of heart or something but I just can?t help but think he?s our guy. If not we will hire henderson. Again, this is pure speculation on my part.

confucius say
06-22-2018, 10:27 PM
Has Schloss signed a new deal with tcu?

preachermatt83
06-22-2018, 10:28 PM
Has Schloss signed a new deal with tcu?

Nope!!

msstate7
06-22-2018, 10:31 PM
I don't see it, but it would be one hell of a consolation if we lose tomorrow

AlSwearengen
06-22-2018, 10:39 PM
What has me believing that there is a remote possiblitity is the fact that Saarloos didn?t go to rice and the angle that cohen and Schlossnagle might have been trying to get all of that smoke under control.

I refuse to get my hopes up though.

Ohh, and why would cliff godwin take his name out of consideration without at least trying to get a pay raise out of it all? I think he was removing his name from a place that his name may not have been in the first place. That was a strange one there.

preachermatt83
06-22-2018, 10:42 PM
What has me believing that there is a remote possiblitity is the fact that Saarloos didn?t go to rice and the angle that cohen and Schlossnagle might have been trying to get all of that smoke under control.

Ohh, and why would cliff godwin take his name out of consideration without at least trying to get a pay raise out of it all? I think he was removing his name from a place that his name may not have been in the first place. That was a strange one there.
Lol. I agree. Got hopes way to high last time.

Todd4State
06-22-2018, 10:59 PM

Godwin was FOS. He used Kendall Rogers to float his name out there to get attention for himself to make him look elite.

Liverpooldawg
06-22-2018, 11:08 PM
If we do he better win big, every non-internet fan I know says we HAVE to offer it to Henderson. Tough spot for Cohen, if it was football his job would be riding on it. Since it's not......it's still a tough spot.

preachermatt83
06-22-2018, 11:17 PM
Godwin was FOS. He used Kendall Rogers to float his name out there to get attention for himself to make him look elite.

Exactly

BuckyIsAB****
06-22-2018, 11:27 PM
I have no inside sources nor am I saying someone has even told me it will happen but just In my little mind I think there is something fishy with the whole schloss deal. I think there was too much smoke around the rumor of schloss coming so Cohen and schloss agreed to stop it for the sake of this years team but with the full agreement that schloss would be named head coach at the conclusion of our season. Now I?m sure they will say it was never offered or that schloss had a change of heart or something but I just can?t help but think he?s our guy. If not we will hire henderson. Again, this is pure speculation on my part.

Im with you. Cohen is getting Schloss

Dawg61
06-22-2018, 11:36 PM
If we do he better win big, every non-internet fan I know says we HAVE to offer it to Henderson. Tough spot for Cohen, if it was football his job would be riding on it. Since it's not......it's still a tough spot.

You're the guy that calls baseball a niche sport so by your logic nobody knows shit about our baseball coaching situation that is a non-internet fan. Why don't you just say what you really feel and that's that you'd like to hire Henderson. Everything else you say it just fluff hiding what you really want to say. Henderson deserves the job in your opinion. Nothing wrong with having that opinion.

Cowbell
06-22-2018, 11:39 PM

This is exactly the opinion I've had for the last couple weeks. This teams run has given Cohen a problem he wasn't expecting.

deadheaddawg
06-22-2018, 11:40 PM

Why do we think that was Saarloos decision? Rice hired a guy we had threads about possibly being good enough for our job.

The official headlines seem to be something along the lines of "Saarlos withdraws his name from rice coaching search"

I have heard a 1000 times these last few weeks how a school will let a candidate back out gracefully. Maybe rice had their guy and it was Bragga instead of sarloos all along

deadheaddawg
06-22-2018, 11:47 PM

All that would be needed is to have a press conference and have both Cohen and Henderson make it sound good. I think Cohen would be nothing but respectful of Henderson and Henderson seems like the kinda guy that would also.

Those fans you talk about are not invested enough to get outraged. They are the kind of people that listen to their athletic department and just goes with what they say.

Todd4State
06-23-2018, 12:04 AM
All that would be needed is to have a press conference and have both Cohen and Henderson make it sound good. I think Cohen would be nothing but respectful of Henderson and Henderson seems like the kinda guy that would also.

Those fans you talk about are not invested enough to get outraged. They are the kind of people that listen to their athletic department and just goes with what they say.

Exactly. And I disagree with Liverpool that a bad baseball hire could certainly get Cohen in trouble. Especially after the Cann fiasco. MSU baseball is a different animal than it is at most schools. That said baseball is also Cohen's baby. And he knows the game better than any of us. So I know he sees the flaws in Henderson's coaching.

We'll see what happens.

Todd4State
06-23-2018, 12:08 AM

We have an Omaha caliber team that is young this year and returns it's best player in Mangum who will be a senior along with MacNamee and LA. Rumors are Small is coming back too- and he is a legit SEC ace. The biggest hole is at catcher- and we will be more talented there next year. This is a team that someone like a Schlossnagle or Tadlock could come in and win a championship in year one.

DawgFromOxford
06-23-2018, 12:57 AM
I'm assuming we will know something come Monday or Tuesday. Until then I'm here for all the rumors.

Pit Bull
06-23-2018, 01:54 AM

He ain't leaving Fort Worth for Starkvegas. He said as much. We've already been through this once. Hell, I wouldn't leave Fort Worth for Starkvegas either, even if they offered to double my salary. I'm thinking he'll coach one more year at TCU and take the FSU job when Martin retires. His family will love living in Florida.....two hours from the beach and Tallahassee is a growing town that's probably 10 times the size of Starkvegas with 10 times the things to do......I could definitely see him in Tallahassee.

Cowbell
06-23-2018, 06:22 AM
He ain't leaving Fort Worth for Starkvegas. He said as much. We've already been through this once. Hell, I wouldn't leave Fort Worth for Starkvegas either, even if they offered to double my salary. I'm thinking he'll coach one more year at TCU and take the FSU job when Martin retires. His family will love living in Florida.....two hours from the beach and Tallahassee is a growing town that's probably 10 times the size of Starkvegas with 10 times the things to do......I could definitely see him in Tallahassee.

I live an hour north of FW and I would not move there for a doubled salary. That traffic is awful and getting worse by the day. The pace of life here is so much fatter than in MS it's not even funny. It's downright sad that some people have to make that commute for the majority of their lives. Give me Starkville any day.

preachermatt83
06-23-2018, 07:50 AM
I live an hour north of FW and I would not move there for a doubled salary. That traffic is awful and getting worse by the day. The pace of life here is so much fatter than in MS it's not even funny. It's downright sad that some people have to make that commute for the majority of their lives. Give me Starkville any day.

Yup. I guess it’s hust to each his own. I hate ft worth. I would age twice as fast dealing with the traffic and congestion of that place.

Dawg2003
06-23-2018, 07:59 AM

It depends on what he values. People project what they want onto other people during these coaching searches. I personally can?t stand big cities, but to each his own. Many people would much rather live in a smaller town for obvious reasons. None of us know what he personally wants. It has a lot more to do with living location too. A lot of factors are in play, and none of us know what any of these people value.

Todd4State
06-23-2018, 09:06 AM
Starkville is less of a factor than it used to be.

1. Starkville is a nice college town. They don't have a mall but it works.

2. With today's technology and the salaries we pay them it's very possible to be a SEC coach and have two homes- one in Starkville and one in say Fort Worth. It may not be ideal but it's doable. See Ben Howland. And it's even more feasible of the coach can use the MSU planes to travel.

Bully13
06-23-2018, 09:13 AM

Wrong.

Saltydog
06-23-2018, 09:21 AM
just didn't fork out money w/o knowing something.

MarketingBully
06-23-2018, 09:37 AM
This shit has nothing to do with the town of Starkville!

MarketingBully
06-23-2018, 09:43 AM

Love the opinion. You?re wrong but nice opinion none the less.

Liverpooldawg
06-23-2018, 09:52 AM
You're the guy that calls baseball a niche sport so by your logic nobody knows shit about our baseball coaching situation that is a non-internet fan. Why don't you just say what you really feel and that's that you'd like to hire Henderson. Everything else you say it just fluff hiding what you really want to say. Henderson deserves the job in your opinion. Nothing wrong with having that opinion.

Dude, people at MSU care a lot about it. That can be the case and it still be a niche sport. I was saying Henderson deserves the job. Glad you picked up on that.***

Jarius
06-23-2018, 09:55 AM
Schloss has Cannizaro issues according to those ?in the know?. Sounds like a way to spin him not wanting our job to me but I guess we will see

yjnkdawg
06-23-2018, 10:08 AM
Anything is possible I guess. You have some coaches who say they will never leave a certain school and then they do. However, for a coach to say they are removing their name from a coaching search, and then later start supposedly campaigning for the job makes you wonder. I think Schloss' actions really upset and embarrassed Cohen. Cohen publicly said that he had not offered the job to any candidate. This seems to be more inline with the way Pruitt's agent tried to push Pruitt in to our head football coach vacancy. Now some say they are or not interested in order to negotiate a better contract. I don't think that was Schloss' motive. He very well may want our head coaching position, but I think that possible bridge (if there ever was one) has been burned, and won't be rebuilt. Cohen doesn't play that game and he doesn't like to be embarrassed. So I don't see that being a tactic that Cohen is using to hire us a new baseball coach.

ChillOutDog
06-23-2018, 10:12 AM
just didn't fork out money w/o knowing something.

4D chess on Cohen’s part.

Gets Godwin a raise so it’s either less likely he goes to Oxford in the future or ends up costing them a lot more money

RocketDawg
06-23-2018, 10:15 AM
Starkville is less of a factor than it used to be.

1. Starkville is a nice college town. They don't have a mall but it works.

2. With today's technology and the salaries we pay them it's very possible to be a SEC coach and have two homes- one in Starkville and one in say Fort Worth. It may not be ideal but it's doable. See Ben Howland. And it's even more feasible of the coach can use the MSU planes to travel.

Shopping malls are "yesterday" ... many are closing all over the country. I think one reason is that they give gangs and other undesirables a place to congregate and it scares customers away. Of course, the town needs equivalent shopping available if they want to attract those who value upscale and overpriced stores.

dawgs
06-23-2018, 10:24 AM
Shopping malls are "yesterday" ... many are closing all over the country. I think one reason is that they give gangs and other undesirables a place to congregate and it scares customers away. Of course, the town needs equivalent shopping available if they want to attract those who value upscale and overpriced stores.

Lulz wut? Malls are closing because they are congregation centers for gangs?!? who planted that irrational fear in your head? Malls are closing for a simple reason: the internet. Why would I go to the mall to buy jeans when I can just go to gap.com when they have a 40% off sale and order them? I can use honey or ebates or Wikibuy to find additional discounts sometimes too. If I get them and don't like them, many places offer free returns, or I'll pop in the mall to return it in person if it's convenient.

Todd4State
06-23-2018, 10:28 AM

I know. I was being sarcastic because Dan's staff said that was one reason why they couldn't recruit well allegedly.

BeardoMSU
06-23-2018, 10:31 AM
Lulz wut? Malls are closing because they are congregation centers for gangs?!? who planted that irrational fear in your head? Malls are closing for a simple reason: the internet. Why would I go to the mall to buy jeans when I can just go to gap.com when they have a 40% off sale and order them? I can use honey or ebates or Wikibuy to find additional discounts sometimes too. If I get them and don't like them, many places offer free returns, or I'll pop in the mall to return it in person if it's convenient.

Alex Jones**

Bully13
06-23-2018, 10:38 AM
Schloss has Cannizaro issues according to those ?in the know?. Sounds like a way to spin him not wanting our job to me but I guess we will see

Rumors?

yjnkdawg
06-23-2018, 10:56 AM
Rumors?

It would be interesting to know who "those in the know are" he refers too.

RocketDawg
06-23-2018, 11:03 AM

That was certainly one major reason here. And I'll bet it is other places too. Yes, of course on-line shopping has made a big impact but that's not the only reason. And why would you go to a mall to buy something? Women in particular like to shop just to "look" if for no other reason. They can't do that very well on-line. To them, it's a social event.

Internet shopping may be about to take a big hit too. Not sure if it's just in Alabama or not, but the state will soon collect sales tax on sales even without a brick and mortar store in the state.

dawgs
06-23-2018, 11:15 AM
That was certainly one major reason here. And I'll bet it is other places too. Yes, of course on-line shopping has made a big impact but that's not the only reason. And why would you go to a mall to buy something? Women in particular like to shop just to "look" if for no other reason. They can't do that very well on-line. To them, it's a social event.

Internet shopping may be about to take a big hit too. Not sure if it's just in Alabama or not, but the state will soon collect sales tax on sales even without a brick and mortar store in the state.

The "just to look" shopping is a thing of the past too. My 30something wife and her 30something and late 20something friends don't socialize by shopping at the mall. If they are using shopping as a social outing, it's for 2nd hand shopping or local boutique shopping that can't really be done online. Maybe it's more prevalent some places and I know my previous sentence is anecdotal, but it's simply not like the 80s and 90s when the mall was a major gathering spot in town. Statistics prove it. If your hometown mall closed due to gangs, the only reason it became a gang spot was due to a significant decrease in shoppers, then retailers bailed, and you're left with a giant building barely populated. Gangs didn't kill it, online shopping did, maybe gangs showed up for the death rattle, but they weren't the cause. No bustling, money making mall is shutting its doors instead of hiring more/better security.

And sales taxes won't change shopping habits. Even if you have to pay taxes on your jeans ordered from gap.com, you still ordered from your phone in a few minutes instead of the time, effort, and gas to drive to a big mall to pay the same taxes in person. People don't want to do that anymore, especially people under the age of 40.

ChillOutDog
06-23-2018, 12:32 PM
Hoodlum behavior did not cause, but is a contributing factor to the faster decline of malls. The problem is the public transportation. All it takes is one time to “I don’t need this anymore, I have the internet” to cut off a customer.

Jarius
06-23-2018, 12:38 PM
It would be interesting to know who "those in the know are" he refers too.

Recruiting site people don’t publicly put out everything they know but they don’t mind telling people off the board what they know.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
06-23-2018, 12:50 PM
Yup. I guess it?s hust to each his own. I hate ft worth. I would age twice as fast dealing with the traffic and congestion of that place.

You think Ft. Worth traffic is bad....go 45 minutes East and tell what that's like. You'd age 4x as fast.**

dawgoneyall
06-23-2018, 12:51 PM

Do what?

Dawg2003
06-23-2018, 01:00 PM
I can see a head coach not wanting to work under Cohen. It might be more appealing to stay at a place with no expectation of a national championship and be left to your own devices. I’ve also wondered if the IB is insisting that whoever takes over keeps Gautreau or some of the other staff, and a head coach will want his own staff. Just a thought. Schloss and Gautreau have a connection right? That was one reason the Schloss hire made sense to me.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
06-23-2018, 01:20 PM
I don't believe the lack of a mall is hurting us hiring a baseball coach but Starkville could use a little better shopping. If they need a mall, Columbus (not great but pretty good) is only 20 minutes from Starkville and Barnes Crossing is only 45 minutes away.

Saltydog
06-23-2018, 01:22 PM
unless he somehow pulls off the natty. Not sure I would want him then but I think we would have to hire him at that point. We know Godwin and Butch have accepted extensions. I don't think McDonnell has reupped either but he pretty much put rumors to rest.

Dawg2003
06-23-2018, 02:11 PM
unless he somehow pulls off the natty. Not sure I would want him then but I think we would have to hire him at that point. We know Godwin and Butch have accepted extensions. I don't think McDonnell has reupped either but he pretty much put rumors to rest.

The more time goes on, the more I realize it will likely be Hendo. It?s not that Cohen will want that, but how can you call that staff in and ask them to leave? How can you sell that to the players? That?s some bad juju and karma right there. How do you hire and up and coming assistant over the current staff? Because it?s not going to be a sitting head coach. Those guys don?t move around like that.

DownwardDawg
06-23-2018, 02:24 PM
The more time goes on, the more I realize it will likely be Hendo. It?s not that Cohen will want that, but how can you call that staff in and ask them to leave? How can you sell that to the players? That?s some bad juju and karma right there. How do you hire and up and coming assistant over the current staff? Because it?s not going to be a sitting head coach. Those guys don?t move around like that.

I'm just the opposite. I have thought it would be Henderson for quite a while now but lately I have 2nd thoughts. I think mainly watching some of the head scratching moves and listening to Cohen on the radio has me thinking we go in a different direction.

Cooterpoot
06-23-2018, 02:38 PM
It’s not Henderson.

Goldendawg
06-23-2018, 02:55 PM
I don't believe the lack of a mall is hurting us hiring a baseball coach but Starkville could use a little better shopping. If they need a mall, Columbus (not great but pretty good) is only 20 minutes from Starkville and Barnes Crossing is only 45 minutes away.

Nationwide, malls are dying. The South is usually a few years behind the rest of the country. I live close to Tupelo and it is also having trouble keeping stores with a lot of turnover. Doubt lack of a mall is the story.

deadheaddawg
06-23-2018, 03:31 PM

I heard the same thing about about one of our other big 3 coaches but that didn't stop us from hiring him.

I didn't, but that's how easy it is to start an unfounded rumor that can really hurt a family. The "people in the know" Haven't known shit so far so no reason to keep spreading this crap without proof

Jarius
06-23-2018, 09:32 PM
I heard the same thing about about one of our other big 3 coaches but that didn't stop us from hiring him.

I didn't, but that's how easy it is to start an unfounded rumor that can really hurt a family. The "people in the know" Haven't known shit so far so no reason to keep spreading this crap without proof

How bout I post what I want and you get over it

dawgs
06-23-2018, 09:39 PM
Hoodlum behavior did not cause, but is a contributing factor to the faster decline of malls. The problem is the public transportation. All it takes is one time to ?I don?t need this anymore, I have the internet? to cut off a customer.

I've lived in multiple cities with extensive public transportation and public transportation ain't ruining shit.

BuckyIsAB****
06-23-2018, 10:19 PM
I think I heard enough from Cohen on the radio to say that Gary Henderson is not going to be the head coach at MSU.

Schloss wants the job regardless of what was said a few weeks ago

KB21
06-24-2018, 09:07 AM
I will be pleasantly surprised if it is Jim Schlossnagle, but I just don't think it will happen based on history. College baseball coaches just don't jump ship like they do in college football and college basketball.

Now, I don't think it is going to be Gary Henderson either. If it were going to be him, then that hire probably would have already been made by now.

I do think it is interesting though that Kirk Saarlos was negotiating for the Rice job and then pulled out. That does smell fishy, and there is a part of me that believes he was told by Schlossnagle that he will get the TCU job.

msbulldog
06-24-2018, 10:07 AM

Supreme Court decision allowing it Rocket, it's going to happen everywhere sales tax is charged.