PDA

View Full Version : Catcher

msstate7
06-22-2018, 08:44 PM
Watching this ark/Florida game makes it painfully clear we need to upgrade our catching talent or coaching one. These guys can frame and block. There is zero excuse for us to have an issue with catching seemingly every year.

Do we have any potential incoming players that are difference makers here? Is this more of an indictment of our coaching than players?

HoopsDawg
06-22-2018, 08:46 PM
Watching this ark/Florida game makes it painfully clear we need to upgrade our catching talent or coaching one. These guys can frame and block. There is zero excuse for us to have an issue with catching seemingly every year.

Do we have any potential incoming players that are difference makers here? Is this more of an indictment of our coaching than players?

I think Hayden Jones from Indiana can be a difference maker. But he will be a true freshman so....

Cooterpoot
06-22-2018, 08:48 PM
Pitching and catching aren’t comparable to the teams in the CWS.

Saltydog
06-22-2018, 08:50 PM
Gilbert has better numbers offensively and was 16/16 throwing out runners, compared to Skelton's 8/24. What am I missing here? Why the hell is Skelton in the lineup?

HoopsDawg
06-22-2018, 08:51 PM
Gilbert has better numbers offensively and was 16/16 throwing out runners, compared to Skelton's 8/24. What am I missing here? Why the hell is Skelton in the lineup?

Wow, that's incredible.

Bulldog1
06-22-2018, 08:52 PM

I'm wondering the same thing.

weblow
06-22-2018, 08:55 PM
Skelton has had a massive attitude and zero to back it up since walking on campus. The fact that he sees the field is a disappointment to me. His attitude is the shittiest on the entire team. He is an entitled little punk.

Todd4State
06-22-2018, 09:02 PM
Skelton has had a massive attitude and zero to back it up since walking on campus. The fact that he sees the field is a disappointment to me. His attitude is the shittiest on the entire team. He is an entitled little punk.

Did you see the video of the guys on the baseball team making fun of Skelton?

BankerDog
06-22-2018, 09:03 PM

But but he was drafted out of high school!!-Todd4State.

Dusty still thinks he's going to be drafted within the the top 10 rounds. He is in no way a D1 baseball player and, as I've said before, is the worse catcher I've seen in my 24 years of being a Mississippi State fan.

Todd4State
06-22-2018, 09:03 PM

I don't have an answer for you. It doesn't make any sense.

Todd4State
06-22-2018, 09:07 PM
But but he was drafted out of high school!!-Todd4State.

Dusty still thinks he's going to be drafted within the the top 10 rounds. He is in no way a D1 baseball player and, as I've said before, is the worse catcher I've seen in my 24 years of being a Mississippi State fan.

It would be really awesome if you actually understood that MLB drafts guys like Skelton based on potential and not what they are at that moment in their career. Especially late in the draft where those two were drafted. But that would require you actually understanding the draft and identifying baseball talent.

KOdawg1
06-22-2018, 09:07 PM

He saw Henderson texting in the dugout. Told him to make him starter, or Gary could call Cann up and ask if they could share a hotel room **

Lumpy Chucklelips
06-22-2018, 09:08 PM
Just wait til Oregon St. starts running tomorrow. They stopped today because they knew they didn't have to. They will again tomorrow, but won't stop.

Homedawg
06-22-2018, 09:20 PM
You make it sound like Gilbert threw out 100%of the runners. He threw out 50%. Which clearly is better than Skelton. But you also have to look and see who is pitching. Pilk is hard to run on, jb, easy, etc. But it’s painfully obvious that our staff thinks Skelton is better. Period. And Hendo is t the catcher coach, so he and someone else thinks that I assure you. I’m not saying we don’t need better, we do, but they are playing who they think is better.

weblow
06-22-2018, 09:28 PM
Just wait til Oregon St. starts running tomorrow. They stopped today because they knew they didn't have to. They will again tomorrow, but won't stop.

THIS all day. They know he can’t throw them out. Since 11 U I have never seen a team put a catcher behind the dish that cannot throw a runner out at 2nd..........yet we do exactly that each game in the SEC.

I think we win tomorrow because the rest of this team has the right attitude and refuses to lose....in spite of Henderson. Skelton needs to enjoy this time because I don’t see the next coach allowing him to catch anywhere but the bullpen. I would rather him toss his awful attitude ass off the team but that won’t happen. Should but won’t.

The Federalist Engineer
06-22-2018, 09:50 PM
Next year, we have Hayden Jones and Luke Hancock coming as freshmen. Perfect Games rates them as 10 and 9.5 prospects. So they should come in and be ready to compete for the job.

We have had Freshman catches before. Gavin Collins started 45 games as a freshman in 2014.

shoeless joe
06-22-2018, 10:04 PM
Hancock may be the best high school catcher I've seen. Has a big league arm rite now and is very good on balls in dirt. Also an extremely good high school hitter. Based solely on his D I think he gets a shot next yr BUT he's not very big compared to a lot of catchers. Although his frame could be bulked up somewhat.

confucius say
06-22-2018, 10:13 PM
Who coaches our catchers? Bc they generally are lazy and suck at receiving pitches.

msstate7
06-22-2018, 10:15 PM
Who coaches our catchers? Bc they generally are lazy and suck at receiving pitches.

Cole gordon**

Dawg2003
06-23-2018, 02:35 AM

Good grief. What happened?

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
06-23-2018, 02:40 AM

Didn't see it...you got a link?

MSSTATESEEYA
06-23-2018, 05:32 AM
The fact of the matter is there has to be something that we don't know. Skelton is a dogshit catcher. We have lost multiple games because of him. I would put Mangum behind the dish before him. I assume that Gilbert did something that the coaches didn't like. He started all year (with exception of Pilk's starts) and never had the passed ball problems like Skelton has had. Maybe it's disciplinary? Whatever it is, it needs to stop. It pisses me of every time Skelton walks on the field. We have a 10 times better catcher riding the pine. Hendo may not get offered the head coaching position because of his decision to play Skelton and I think it's fair if he doesn't.

BankerDog
06-23-2018, 08:01 AM
Our best catcher this year is playing 2B.

TNDawg35
06-23-2018, 09:51 AM
Skelton has seemed lazy to me. Even his framing and stuff. I have heard several announcers say he cost pitchers calls.

yjnkdawg
06-23-2018, 11:13 AM
Skelton should watch some video on Nick Fortes on how he blocks balls, frames pitches, etc. Skleton may be embarrassed if he did. On Gilbert not playing, unless it is due to some type of injury or some really severe disciplinary issue, then I don't understand playing Skelton over him. Mangum is more likely to get a throw from the catcher on a second base steal attempt, then Stovall or Alexander is.