Your thoughts?

https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/1010198787933925376

https://i.imgflip.com/2cqbw9.jpg

https://i.imgflip.com/2cqbxu.jpg

https://i.imgflip.com/2cqbzt.jpg

msstate7
06-22-2018, 07:56 PM
No thanks.

You think he would go out recruiting high schoolers?

KOdawg1
06-22-2018, 07:56 PM
I was just about to create a thread about this, lol.

I actually would be okay with it. Age and his ability to recruit are obviously question marks, but I'd rather have him as our head coach than GH

TNDawg35
06-22-2018, 07:57 PM
Would rather have Schloss...

ShotgunDawg
06-22-2018, 07:57 PM
No.

While he may be a brilliant manager, he doesn't fit the two primary requirements of player development & recruiting.

Professional baseball is very departmental. Manager, scouting, player development, front office, etc & there is very little cross over.

In college baseball, the coaches wear many hats. Buck just hasn't worn enough hats to be good at being a high level college baseball coach.

Liverpooldawg
06-22-2018, 07:58 PM
I can't imagine we could get him, he is doing such a great job at Baltimore.******

For the record, after a long hiatus, I AM watching pro baseball again. My son has got me back into the Braves, starting LAST year.

CadaverDawg
06-22-2018, 08:01 PM
I would rather have a younger recruiter personally...just want to see what everyone thought.

Liverpooldawg
06-22-2018, 08:03 PM
I can't imagine we could get him, he is doing such a great job at Baltimore.******

For the record, after a long hiatus, I AM watching pro baseball again. My son has got me back into the Braves, starting LAST year.

At the moment they are up on Atlanta 1-0 by the way.

msstate7
06-22-2018, 08:04 PM
At the moment they are up on Atlanta 1-0 by the way.

After the braves blew that scoring opportunity. Today really sucks so far

Bulldog1
06-22-2018, 08:07 PM
After the braves blew that scoring opportunity. Today really sucks so far

We're winning this game.

Cooterpoot
06-22-2018, 08:11 PM
I’d rather have Henderson. And I don’t want him.

Dawg61
06-22-2018, 08:29 PM
I'd be ok with Buck.

ShotgunDawg
06-22-2018, 08:31 PM
I'd be ok with Buck.

Why do you think he'd be successful?

msstate7
06-22-2018, 08:32 PM
We're winning this game.

Tough to win a game with 0 runs

Bulldog1
06-22-2018, 08:35 PM
Tough to win a game with 0 runs

Lol yeah. Maybe we can score.

Todd4State
06-22-2018, 08:41 PM
I think for it to work we need to hire an elite pitching and hitting coach. I think the NCAA is going to approve a third assistant as well which will help everyone with recruiting. Those assistants need to be elite at recruiting and player development. I agree with Shotgun about MLB.

The advantage with Showalter is he would be good at managing the game and we wouldn't be out coached very often.

Of all the managers in MLB I think he would be the most likely to transition to the college game and do well because he is known for being strict and being good with younger players and teams like the 1995 Yankees or the 1998 Diamondbacks. The biggest thing he needs to understand is that his MLB credentials will not cause recruits to flock to MSU alone. That's where MLB guys have their downfall in college. Like Don Kessinger at Ole Miss. Kessinger used to manage the White Sox in the late 70's before becoming Ole Miss's head coach.

Dawg61
06-22-2018, 08:43 PM
Why do you think he'd be successful?

Cause he'd surround himself with MLB quality assistants and land just about every former MLB player's sons. Plus he can manage a game and staff better than anyone at the college level. Bring in all our MLB alums too for donations/camps etc. Recruiting will be next level. You want to be a annual top 5 program I think Buck has a better chance at that than Schloss. Plus our catchers will never be as bad as today with him.

Bulldog1
06-22-2018, 08:46 PM
I think it could possibly be a nice hire if he brought in elite assistants.

Liverpooldawg
06-22-2018, 08:46 PM
Cause he'd surround himself with MLB quality assistants and land just about every former MLB player's sons. Plus he can manage a game and staff better than anyone at the college level. Bring in all our MLB alums too for donations/camps etc. Recruiting will be next level. You want to be a annual top 5 program I think Buck has a better chance at that than Schloss. Plus our catchers will never be as bad as today with him.

Admittedly I haven't kept up with pro ball for a long time prior to last year. What about Buck's career makes you think he would land every former pro's kid? Serious question with no ulterior motives.

ShotgunDawg
06-22-2018, 08:50 PM

So you believe Buck has a better chance at building a top 5 college program than a guy who has already done it?

Interesting

Cooterpoot
06-22-2018, 08:51 PM
Buck is a washed up MLB manager. I don’t want a washed up anything running our program.

Dawg61
06-22-2018, 08:53 PM
Admittedly I haven't kept up with pro ball for a long time prior to last year. What about Buck's career makes you think he would land every former pro's kid? Serious question with no ulterior motives.

Cause he knows everyone ever attached to MLB. Buck has been involved in MLB for 40 years. He's a 3X AL manager of the year. We get Buck we hit a grand slam.

Todd4State
06-22-2018, 08:54 PM

I understand why you would think that. But that's not how is works as far as recruiting goes.

Dawg61
06-22-2018, 08:55 PM
So you believe Buck has a better chance at building a top 5 college program than a guy who has already done it?

Interesting

Lol damn y'all really love 4x in a row to Omaha without a ring. Top 5 programs don't miss regionals.

Dawg61
06-22-2018, 08:55 PM
I understand why you would think that. But that's not how is works as far as recruiting goes.

I'd rather see first hand than take your word on it.

Todd4State
06-22-2018, 08:56 PM

Interesting

At least we would have Cohen to help him out which gives him a better chance of working out.

I would obvoiusly go with Schloss over Buck but would take both over Henderson.

Todd4State
06-22-2018, 08:58 PM
I'd rather see first hand than take your word on it.

I recommend you save us all the pain and suffering by googling Don Kessinger and Jimmy Bragan.

Todd4State
06-22-2018, 09:00 PM
Lol damn y'all really love 4x in a row to Omaha without a ring. Top 5 programs don't miss regionals.

Look up TCU's baseball history and compare it to ours.

Cooterpoot
06-22-2018, 09:01 PM
Maybe Buck could teach our pitchers to throw a rising fastball.**

shoeless joe
06-22-2018, 09:04 PM
I'd support it.

Buck's M.O. is taking young teams and developing them and getting them to understand what being a professional is all about. That would fly very well at state IMO. recruiting might be a downside but we don't really know that and his track record would prolly open several doors in that regard.

Also, college coaches are not very good game managers in general. Buck would be light years ahead of all these guys. I've seen bone head decisions from just about every coach in every game I've watched this postseason. And as all of you little league experts know, game management can give a team the upper hand.

I don't think he'd be a slam dunk homerun hire from the jump but it could end up gettin us to that oh so elusive next level.

Turfdawg67
06-22-2018, 09:05 PM
I'd be ok with Buck.

In the short term, with a fairly stacked team, he may win it all. Long term... no.

Turfdawg67
06-22-2018, 09:08 PM
I'd support it.

Buck's M.O. is taking young teams and developing them and getting them to understand what being a professional is all about. That would fly very well at state IMO. recruiting might be a downside but we don't really know that and his track record would prolly open several doors in that regard.

Also, college coaches are not very good game managers in general. Buck would be light years ahead of all these guys. I've seen bone head decisions from just about every coach in every game I've watched this postseason. And as all of you little league experts know, game management can give a team the upper hand.

I don't think he'd be a slam dunk homerun hire from the jump but it could end up gettin us to that oh so elusive next level.

Honestly, do you think he would be into the job to grind it out Day in and day out? In the MLB, his coaches and front office does most of the dirty work. He's a manager and is good at that.

shoeless joe
06-22-2018, 09:16 PM
Honestly, do you think he would be into the job to grind it out Day in and day out? In the MLB, his coaches and front office does most of the dirty work. He's a manager and is good at that.

In the rite situation with the rite assistants around him I think so. He knows what goes into the job. As smart if a baseball man as Cohen is buck coukdbrun circles around him.

IF he's truly interested in the job I think he'd be worth a look. If Cohen decides to go another direction I'll support that as well.

Homedawg
06-22-2018, 09:22 PM
No thanks.

You think he would go out recruiting high schoolers?

This. Great bulldog but just no.

Liverpooldawg
06-22-2018, 09:24 PM
Cause he knows everyone ever attached to MLB. Buck has been involved in MLB for 40 years. He's a 3X AL manager of the year. We get Buck we hit a grand slam.

So how does that relate to college baseball recruiting? Serious question.

Dawg61
06-22-2018, 09:28 PM
I recommend you save us all the pain and suffering by googling Don Kessinger and Jimmy Bragan.

Why would I google those bums. Do they have a combined single mlb manager of the year award? How about 3? Buck's got 3. Why would two bums sucking in college have anything to do with Buck? You have Schloss tunnel vision.

Dawg61
06-22-2018, 09:30 PM
So how does that relate to college baseball recruiting? Serious question.

You guys act like recruiting is rocket science. It's literally asking high school kids to play baseball for your school.

msstate7
06-22-2018, 09:32 PM
You guys act like recruiting is rocket science. It's literally asking high school kids to play baseball for your school.

It does require a lot of effort and butt kissing though. I doubt buck wants to kiss HS kids' butts

Todd4State
06-22-2018, 09:32 PM
Why would I google those bums. Do they have a combined single mlb manager of the year award? How about 3? Buck's got 3. Why would two bums sucking in college have anything to do with Buck? You have Schloss tunnel vision.

No- it's called I understand the difference between MLB and college baseball and I'm providing examples to show you that it doesn't work.

Todd4State
06-22-2018, 09:34 PM
It does require a lot of effort and butt kissing though. I doubt buck wants to kiss HS kids' butts

And connections. How many MLB managers go to a PG showcase? Probably zero.

Dawg61
06-22-2018, 09:35 PM
No- it's called I understand the difference between MLB and college baseball and I'm providing examples to show you that it doesn't work.

You didn't provide equal examples. Try finding another manager in MLB with 3X MOY awards first if you wanna shit on Buck. You equated a turd to him cause you're Schloss obsessed.

Dawg61
06-22-2018, 09:37 PM

Not really. Unless you want to recruit like a loser and sign 9th graders. Then it does take a lot of work being that stupid.

ShotgunDawg
06-22-2018, 09:58 PM

This is hilariously dumb.

You realize you only have 11.7 schollies right?

So you can't ask every body. How do you know which ones to ask?

Next time you watch 14 year olds, have an opinion on them and see how it pans it out 4 years later. You'll be shocked.

ShotgunDawg
06-22-2018, 10:00 PM

It also requires evaluation skills. Do you have the balls to offer a 14 year old that throws 81 mph?

Coldsleeve Jr.
06-22-2018, 10:01 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to msstate7 again.

Todd4State
06-22-2018, 10:56 PM
You didn't provide equal examples. Try finding another manager in MLB with 3X MOY awards first if you wanna shit on Buck. You equated a turd to him cause you're Schloss obsessed.

I'm not "shitting on Buck"- I'm telling you why you're wrong.

Heck I'd take Buck over Henderson. But I wouldn't take him over an established coach like a Tadlock or an up and comer.

Dawg61
06-22-2018, 11:15 PM
I'm not "shitting on Buck"- I'm telling you why you're wrong.
But I wouldn't take him over an established coach like a Tadlock or an up and comer.

Oh thanks for telling me why I am wrong by pointing to two loser coaches that have nothing in common with Buck Showalter other than one time they coached in MLB. You'd take an up and comer over a 3x MLB manager of the year lol.

Dawg61
06-22-2018, 11:18 PM
This is hilariously dumb.

What's hilariously dumb is you continuing to believe recruiting 8th and 9th graders is how to build a top 5 program.

Cooterpoot
06-23-2018, 03:04 AM
Not really. Unless you want to recruit like a loser and sign 9th graders. Then it does take a lot of work being that stupid.

You obviously have no idea how recruiting works.

Coursesuper
06-23-2018, 04:44 AM
There is absolutely no way in hell that Nat would work for Cohen, that will not happen.

Bully13
06-23-2018, 10:43 AM
Buck is a washed up MLB manager. I don?t want a washed up anything running our program.

What a crock of shit.

Bully13
06-23-2018, 10:59 AM
From a PR Perspective, it would be the biggest hire in the modern era. But if we were to steal a top notch college coach would also garner positive national pub. One thing I believe though if buck naked was hired, there would be no croot that would not listen and consider what he had to say and offer.

Dawg61
06-23-2018, 11:04 AM
You obviously have no idea how recruiting works.

You, Shotgun and Todd are insanely stubborn and stupid about this. Recruiting 8th grade all-stars is how you end up with a team of has beens and tommy johns.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
06-23-2018, 01:36 PM
This thread got me to thinking. Y'all stated the +'s and -'s of Buck and I know the +'s of Schloss but what are Schloss's -'s?

MaroonFlounder
06-23-2018, 04:38 PM
And it looks like Buck/Nat is gonna sweep the Braves.