PDA

View Full Version : Pitching strategy tomorrow

msstate7
06-21-2018, 06:22 AM
JB, France, self, Gordon, neff, pilk (1 inning, should be normal throwing day)

We could use these guys and potentially never let them see the same guy twice, and potentially not burn any of them in the process. I do think we need to be willing to use pilk late vs one of their lefties

MarketingBully
06-21-2018, 07:01 AM
I think Neff should be a big part of our plans on Friday. Also we should use Self as well. Self actually is very effective against lefty’s.

Roy Munson
06-21-2018, 07:17 AM
I think Neff should be a big part of our plans on Friday. Also we should use Self as well. Self actually is very effective against lefty?s.

Ummmm, not sure if serious. Did you see his last outing against Vandy? The cutter rode right into the barrel of their bats to lefty?s, and they torched him. He was throwing BP.

MarketingBully
06-21-2018, 07:24 AM
Ummmm, not sure if serious. Did you see his last outing against Vandy? The cutter rode right into the barrel of their bats to lefty?s, and they torched him. He was throwing BP.

And before one bad outing he was outstanding. Cole Gordon was a part of that 9 run inning against Oklahoma and look what he has done since then. One bad outing should not define you. Self has been great except that one inning.

msstate7
06-21-2018, 07:35 AM
I think the key to self is not letting him face guys twice.

klong-dog
06-21-2018, 07:36 AM
JB worries me having to face OSU's lefties. He relies on that breaking ball, he will have to back door them consistently to be effective. When do you pull him and go with your pen? You hate to burn some of your main arms, when being down. Be nice to get a lead early, to help with decision making.

Roy Munson
06-21-2018, 07:37 AM
And before one bad outing he was outstanding. Cole Gordon was a part of that 9 run inning against Oklahoma and look what he has done since then. One bad outing should not define you. Self has been great except that one inning.

And if his stuff looks even remotely similar to that night, then we will be playing a second game. It?s not just last game either. He got shelled last postseason as well. I have zero confidence with him. Hopefully he will have some magic because we are goin got need him. I?m about 2 hours in to this 16 hour drive back up. Go dawgs!

klong-dog
06-21-2018, 07:39 AM
I think the key to self is not letting him face guys twice. Agree. He basically has two pitches. The cutter and two seamer. He really needs to develop a change before next season. Having that other off speed is so beneficial.

Political Hack
06-21-2018, 08:51 AM
End of the season and we're chasing a natty. You use whoever you think should be used for however long you think you need to use them.

Billingsley getting the nod, but I'd have a quick trigger with everyone and not be afraid to call anyone's number for a match up or an inning.

smootness
06-21-2018, 08:56 AM
End of the season and we're chasing a natty. You use whoever you think should be used for however long you think you need to use them.

Billingsley getting the nod, but I'd have a quick trigger with everyone and not be afraid to call anyone's number for a match up or an inning.

Yep. And the bottom line is, we have who we have. They've all been roughed up at times by somebody, but we're going to need just about all of them from here on out. So we just have to use them, tell them to cut loose, and hope they have their stuff or can battle through it. It's all hands on deck, everybody battle.

louisvilledawg
06-21-2018, 09:04 AM

Past results are no indicator of future performance.

Roy Munson
06-21-2018, 09:29 AM
Past results are no indicator of future performance.

Do you own a business or hire people? This cute phrase work for you? How about anything you purchase?

I?m not saying he can?t or won?t be stellar, I?m just saying it makes me nervous. I hope he and all the guys continue pitching as well as we have through this point in the cws. I?d love to have 2 free days of nothing to do in Omaha as I?m quite sure the guys would too!

The Federalist Engineer
06-21-2018, 10:35 AM

Everybody on this team has had a bad outing, except Small. That's how OU beat us 10-20 with our Ace starting and their two best hitters out

Then we beat OU 8-1 with France, that had collapsed earlier vs OU

dawgwhisperer
06-21-2018, 10:37 AM

^^^^^^^agreed. We don't need to go in with anything set in stone. Throw a guy until he isn't effective and then go with who you think will be more effective that inning. we have most (if not all) pitchers available. GET THE WIN. I don't care if we throw one guy per inning for 9 innings. GET THE WIN....

CadaverDawg
06-21-2018, 11:37 AM

100%

msudawglb
06-21-2018, 12:13 PM
100%

I had this dream last night that we started with Billingsley, then brought in Keegan James, and then put Keegan on 1st base while bringing in Neff. And then we swapped out James and Neff as pitchers the rest of the game with the other playing 1st base. :)

BeardoMSU
06-21-2018, 12:21 PM
I had this dream last night that we started with Billingsley, then brought in Keegan James, and then put Keegan on 1st base while bringing in Neff. And then we swapped out James and Neff as pitchers the rest of the game with the other playing 1st base. :)

https://media.giphy.com/media/13cpqLy8txxzFu/giphy.gif

Pit Bull
06-22-2018, 03:18 AM
JB worries me having to face OSU's lefties. He relies on that breaking ball, he will have to back door them consistently to be effective. When do you pull him and go with your pen? You hate to burn some of your main arms, when being down. Be nice to get a lead early, to help with decision making.

He walks two in a row, he needs to come out.

Saltydog
06-22-2018, 08:19 AM
free passes.