PDA

View Full Version : Scouting Report: OSU

TheRef
06-20-2018, 11:41 PM
So I decided to pull up the stats from Pac-12 play for the Beavers. Here's the PAC-12 Stats (http://osubeavers.com/documents/2018/5/26//0526_P12.pdf?id=12471)

Anyway...so their best pitcher, ERA-wise, is obviously Heimlich. Even then, he only had a 2.28 ERA during PAC-12 play. Oregon State used Heimlich (2.2 IP, 6 H, 3 ER, 59 pitches), Chamberlain (3.0 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, 55 pitches), Dylan Pearce (0.1 IP, 3 pitches), and Jake Mulholland (3.0 IP, 1 H, 2 BB, 1 K, 42 pitches).

Based upon the pitch count, I would say that Heimlich, Chamberlain, and Mulholland are all out of the running to pitch on Friday. Please correct me if I'm wrong in this.

Their 2nd game against Washington, they pitched Fehmel (4 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 57 pitches), Kevin Abel (4 IP, 1 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 58 pitches) and Mulholland (1 IP, 1 H, 1 K, 16 pitches).

So based on this, I think that we will see either Fehmel or Grant Gambrell (Their #3 starter who has started 6 PAC-12 games).

My money would honestly be on Fehmel at this point considering he will have last pitched on the 18th (4 days rest). They'll do more of a pitch by committee this game to try and stay alive.

Real worry is going to be the bats, in my opinion. They have hot bats that can smack the ball a long way. Billingsley is going to need to keep the balls down for this one.

Weather-wise, here is how we're looking in Omaha for Friday

20% chance of rain until around midday. High is going to be 76 F, with a wind out of the NNE at 5-10 MPH (Lightly blowing out towards the RF foul pole. After midday, the chance of rain is practically zero. Dew Point is gonna hang around the low 60's and provide a little bit of humidity, but it won't be balmy like it was earlier in the week. Needless to say, it will be a lot more comfortable for both teams.

ShotgunDawg
06-20-2018, 11:50 PM
The scouting report on Oregon State is simple.

They have 4 first round hitters in their lineup.

The 2B,SS, RF, and the their catcher most likely will be the number 1 overall pick year.

Keep those guys in the ballpark and off balance and we'll have a shot.

Dawg61
06-21-2018, 12:05 AM

The 2B,SS, RF, and the their catcher most likely will be the number 1 overall pick year.

So go Tampa Bay on them and throw Self the first 2 innings and then go to JB. Got it.

Todd4State
06-21-2018, 12:16 AM
So go Tampa Bay on them and throw Self the first 2 innings and then go to JB. Got it.

If we're going to try to keep them off balance, I'd throw France after JB. And then come back with Neff.

Dawg61
06-21-2018, 12:24 AM
If we're going to try to keep them off balance, I'd throw France after JB. And then come back with Neff.

Yea I was joking. No time to try some off the wall strategy we haven't done ever before. JB just seems to struggle with location in the 1st inning. If he can get us through 4 with 3 or less runs I think France, Neff and Self can get us through the final 5 relatively unscathed. Like always we are gonna need the bats to stay hot. We have only given up 2 runs through 18 innings of CWS play though and scored 14. We only have to beat what I think is the best team in the country 1 time and we get them without their leadoff hitter and missing their best pitcher. Every one of us would take this scenario before Omaha started.

MarketingBully
06-21-2018, 02:55 AM
Yea I was joking. No time to try some off the wall strategy we haven't done ever before. JB just seems to struggle with location in the 1st inning. If he can get us through 4 with 3 or less runs I think France, Neff and Self can get us through the final 5 relatively unscathed. Like always we are gonna need the bats to stay hot. We have only given up 2 runs through 18 innings of CWS play though and scored 14. We only have to beat what I think is the best team in the country 1 time and we get them without their leadoff hitter and missing their best pitcher. Every one of us would take this scenario before Omaha started.

Agree completely Dawg61. I think everything is aligning right for 3 more wins and a national title.

bostondawg
06-21-2018, 04:39 AM
Luke Heimlich will be starting against us on Friday, per Kendall Rogers.

Madisonmd
06-21-2018, 05:51 AM
Anyone hearing France has a shoulder problem? Reason for short stint last outing

beretta
06-21-2018, 06:18 AM
Anyone hearing France has a shoulder problem? Reason for short stint last outing

That is news to me and I hope its incorrect. He was throwing gas the inning of work he had against UNC....I even told a friend thats the fastest heater he has thrown all year, and must be on adrenaline. i figured the short stent was due to the long 8 run inning we had and we figured to save his arm.

msstate7
06-21-2018, 06:24 AM
Well the kid doesn't have to worry about a pro career

I actually don't mind this. His stuff didn't look that good on 3 days of rest. Now he'll be doing on 1 day of rest

MzTerry
06-21-2018, 06:44 AM

Where are you seeing this? I can?t find it in any article or on twitter.

KOdawg1
06-21-2018, 06:46 AM
What are the chances he'll have 3 bad starts in Omaha? I'd say not good.

This isn't good because it forces Jake and Rowdey to bat right handed and basically makes Allen an automatic out, but the good news is that Heimlich threw 50+ pitches yesterday so I doubt he comes out and throws 100 on Friday. But like someone said, he doesn't have a pro career to worry about so very well may come out and throw 150 pitches in 3 days

MarketingBully
06-21-2018, 06:51 AM

That’s a dumb ass decision. So Heimlich is going to start 3 of the 4 games they are in CWS? That can’t be right.

msstate7
06-21-2018, 06:54 AM

This isn't good because it forces Jake and Rowdey to bat right handed and basically makes Allen an automatic out, but the good news is that Heimlich threw 50+ pitches yesterday so I doubt he comes out and throws 100 on Friday. But like someone said, he doesn't have a pro career to worry about so very well may come out and throw 150 pitches in 3 days

Our lineup has developed some depth. We have 19 hits in the CWS, and rowdey/Jake only have 3 of them.

I actually think we tee off on heimlich if they dumb enough to bring em back on 1 day rest.

MarketingBully
06-21-2018, 06:56 AM

Not a smart decision on Casey’s part. He hasn’t had it all week and I doubt he miraculously finds it on Friday. Not sure why we fear left handed pitching considering we only have one true lefty in the lineup. Sure it flips Mangum and Jordan to the right hand side but Mangum went 0-5 against UNC and we still won 12-2. Jordan has what one hit and we are 2-0 at the CWS. I think we will be alright.

MarketingBully
06-21-2018, 06:57 AM
Our lineup has developed some depth. We have 19 hits in the CWS, and rowdey/Jake only have 3 of them.

I actually think we tee off on heimlich if they dumb enough to bring em back on 1 day rest.

Yeah, I doubt Casey does that.

MarketingBully
06-21-2018, 06:58 AM

Nope. Haven’t heard that at all.

bostondawg
06-21-2018, 09:05 AM
That’s a dumb ass decision. So Heimlich is going to start 3 of the 4 games they are in CWS? That can’t be right.

It's on Kendall Rogers Twitter account. Take that for what it's worth I guess. He's thrown 120 pitches in the last five days. They're probably just trying to steal a few innings from him because we suck vs LHP.

smootness
06-21-2018, 09:12 AM
It's on Kendall Rogers Twitter account. Take that for what it's worth I guess. He's thrown 120 pitches in the last five days. They're probably just trying to steal a few innings from him because we suck vs LHP.

I don't see it anywhere. My guess is you saw this one, posted last night before the UNC game. I can't imagine any way they throw him tomorrow. Even Saturday would be dicey. They'll probably have to if they beat us tomorrow, but either way he's likely to be tired and ineffective.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/BeaverBaseball?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@BeaverBaseball</a> is going back to Luke Heimlich, who struggled in his first start in Omaha against North Carolina.</p>&mdash; Kendall Rogers (@KendallRogers) <a href="https://twitter.com/KendallRogers/status/1009573518118400000?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 20, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MarketingBully
06-21-2018, 09:16 AM

Do we suck against LHP though? It has Mangum and Jordan hitting from the right but other then that we would have 8/9 batters batting from the right which should give us an advantage.

MzTerry
06-21-2018, 09:42 AM
I don't see it anywhere. My guess is you saw this one, posted last night before the UNC game. I can't imagine any way they throw him tomorrow. Even Saturday would be dicey. They'll probably have to if they beat us tomorrow, but either way he's likely to be tired and ineffective.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/BeaverBaseball?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@BeaverBaseball</a> is going back to Luke Heimlich, who struggled in his first start in Omaha against North Carolina.</p>&mdash; Kendall Rogers (@KendallRogers) <a href="https://twitter.com/KendallRogers/status/1009573518118400000?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 20, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This. There is no way he is starting.

louisvilledawg
06-21-2018, 09:47 AM

Fake news! Looks at timestamps!

Jack Lambert
06-21-2018, 11:33 AM
So I decided to pull up the stats from Pac-12 play for the Beavers. Here's the PAC-12 Stats (http://osubeavers.com/documents/2018/5/26//0526_P12.pdf?id=12471)

Real worry is going to be the bats, in my opinion. They have hot bats that can smack the ball a long way. Billingsley is going to need to keep the balls down for this one.

Yeah we have never seen hitting like that before this season.*******

msstate7
06-21-2018, 11:35 AM
In pac12 Sunday (3rd games of series) games, Oregon state was 4-5-1. That means they were 16-4 in the first 2 games of pac12 series. Pitching depth could be an issue for them.

Surprisingly, they have 213 extra hits to our 198 on the season. I expected there to be a much bigger gap esp with how horrible we were early and their high draft picks up and down the lineup. Here's the breakdown of extra base hits...

Osu/state
2b = 136/139
3b = 18/14
HR = 59/45

Without actually looking up stats, I'd bet we have been just as explosive offensively the 2nd half of season vs better competition

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-21-2018, 03:31 PM

Oh is that it? Easy Peasy