BulldogBear
06-20-2018, 12:40 PM
JoBu?

Bulldog1
06-20-2018, 12:44 PM
This is the correct move.

Commercecomet24
06-20-2018, 12:51 PM
Win Friday, Smart starts game 1 Monday and Pilk pitches is to NC Tuesday .

bostondawg
06-20-2018, 12:52 PM
Do you guys have France ready to go in the bullpen or do you attempt to save France to relieve or start in the championship series?

smootness
06-20-2018, 01:08 PM
Do you guys have France ready to go in the bullpen or do you attempt to save France to relieve or start in the championship series?

I go in prepared to use him in that game. My goal would be to get 4-5 from Billingsley but pull him earlier if necessary and then go with France for 3-4.

msudawglb
06-20-2018, 01:16 PM
I go in prepared to use him in that game. My goal would be to get 4-5 from Billingsley but pull him earlier if necessary and then go with France for 3-4.

You have basically everyone for that game minus Pilk. I do think its the right move. Go with JB and if he gives up some early replace him with France and go situational pitching if you have the lead with the rest of the pen.

smootness
06-20-2018, 01:27 PM
You have basically everyone for that game minus Pilk. I do think its the right move. Go with JB and if he gives up some early replace him with France and go situational pitching if you have the lead with the rest of the pen.

I would like to get Self, Neff, and James at least 1 IP. And it wouldn't be bad to get McQuary some pitches, too, if possible. So yes, we should be prepared with a pretty quick hook.

Todd4State
06-20-2018, 01:27 PM
I'm good with this move. I might go with Gordan again over France first out of the bullpen because I know France is an option to start the next game if necessary. And if you start Small in an elimination game you could still use France out of the bullpen if you don't start them.

Todd4State
06-20-2018, 01:29 PM
I would like to get Self, Neff, and James at least 1 IP. And it wouldn't be bad to get McQuary some pitches, too, if possible. So yes, we should be prepared with a pretty quick hook.

Of course if JB is on I wouldn't complain about that either.

Bulldog1
06-20-2018, 01:30 PM
We can also use Smith out of the pen. Where has he been?

Pit Bull
06-20-2018, 01:31 PM
How many pitches did Gordon make Tues. morning?

Really Clark?
06-20-2018, 01:37 PM
How many pitches did Gordon make Tues. morning?

smootness
06-20-2018, 01:59 PM
We can also use Smith out of the pen. Where has he been?

He just hasn't pitched well. In his last 5.1 IP, he's given up 7 runs. You can give him a shot again if you want, but you're kind of playing with fire.

msstate7
06-20-2018, 03:20 PM
He just hasn't pitched well. In his last 5.1 IP, he's given up 7 runs. You can give him a shot again if you want, but you're kind of playing with fire.

Really wanted to give him or self the 9th yesterday. Those 2 kinda scare me and don't want their first action in a high leverage spot

preachermatt83
06-20-2018, 03:48 PM
Absolutely the right move to start JB

KOdawg1
06-20-2018, 04:02 PM
Really wanted to give him or self the 9th yesterday. Those 2 kinda scare me and don't want their first action in a high leverage spot

I was hoping we'd do that too

HoopsDawg
06-20-2018, 06:05 PM
Absolutely the right move to start JB

I'd go France, but I prefer JB to Small.

Todd4State
06-20-2018, 06:10 PM
I'd go France, but I prefer JB to Small.

Here's my thought and hope.

We win Friday with JB.

Then we can go Small, Pilk, and then France in the CWS Finals. Look at France's numbers against Arkansas and you will see why.

Lumpy Chucklelips
06-20-2018, 06:17 PM
Imperative that we win on Friday and hope Ark. has to play again on Sat.

MarketingBully
06-20-2018, 06:24 PM
Imperative that we win on Friday and hope Ark. has to play again on Sat.

Pull for Florida and it could work out that both Knight and Singer will be burnt. We will face OSU?s 3rd or 4th best pitcher on Friday so the stars could align for us to face a team with our pitching situation in the final in 2013 and us be setup like UCLA was.

Political Hack
06-21-2018, 09:39 AM
OSU is going to hit whoever you put on the mound. Don't let them see anyone twice unless someone is just on fire. I'd pitch by committee both games and try to save Small and Pilk to the extent possible, but even using them in spots or for an inning wouldn't be all that bad.

No matter who is on the bump, we're going to have to be lights out on defense. Maybe the wind will be blowing in...

DawgFromOxford
06-21-2018, 09:57 AM
OSU is going to hit and we need to accept that. The key is for our pitchers minimize damage and keep our bats hot. No way we hold OSU to only 1 or 2 runs in a game.

smootness
06-21-2018, 10:12 AM
OSU is going to hit and we need to accept that. The key is for our pitchers minimize damage and keep our bats hot. No way we hold OSU to only 1 or 2 runs in a game.

I mostly agree with this. I certainly think it's possible to hold their offense down. They've definitely been hot the whole tournament, haven't scored fewer than 6 yet. But they also scored a total of 7 runs in their last 4 regular season games.

But no, it is not likely we're going to shut them down. We need to go into the game with the mindset that we're going to have to keep constant pressure offensively and, as you said, minimize damage defensively.

They've played well late in games, just like we have. It should be some good baseball.

msstate7
06-21-2018, 10:13 AM
Kwan being out is a good thing with us being RH heavy pitching tomorrow.

smootness
06-21-2018, 10:16 AM
Kwan being out is a good thing with us being RH heavy pitching tomorrow.

I won't ever say an injury to an opponent is a good thing. Just don't want that out there. But yes, you're right haha.

But the bottom line is, we're one of the last 4 teams in this, and if Florida wins tonight, the other 3 will have been the 3 best teams all year long. So we're going to be in a dogfight to win this no matter what. Time to see what we're really, truly made of. Need 3 wins in 5 games.

smootness
06-21-2018, 10:22 AM
Also, starting Billingsley tomorrow is the right call. Pilkington won't be able to go by Saturday, so regardless, if you end up playing 2 against OSU, you're going to have to start Billingsley in one of them. And if we have to start Small Saturday, you're talking about only a difference of pitching on 3 days rest vs. 4 days rest in Game 3 next week.

It's worth it to give ourselves the chance of winning without Small on Friday and having him and Pilkington fully rested for the championship series than going with the better chance of winning Friday. You have to give yourself the best chance of winning it all, and I think the chance of having Small fully rested in the finals is worth it compared to giving yourself a better chance Friday but knowing he won't be fully rested for the finals.

msstate7
06-21-2018, 10:25 AM
Also, starting Billingsley tomorrow is the right call. Pilkington won't be able to go by Saturday, so regardless, if you end up playing 2 against OSU, you're going to have to start Billingsley in one of them. And if we have to start Small Saturday, you're talking about only a difference of pitching on 3 days rest vs. 4 days rest in Game 3 next week.

It's worth it to give ourselves the chance of winning without Small on Friday and having him and Pilkington fully rested for the championship series than going with the better chance of winning Friday. You have to give yourself the best chance of winning it all, and I think the chance of having Small fully rested in the finals is worth it compared to giving yourself a better chance Friday but knowing he won't be fully rested for the finals.

Pitching JB first could decimate the pen though. I see it both ways, but I'd go for kill shot tomorrow with small on 5 days rest.

smootness
06-21-2018, 10:28 AM
Pitching JB first could decimate the pen though. I see it both ways, but I'd go for kill shot tomorrow with small on 5 days rest.

Eh. You'll use your pen, sure, but anybody you use tomorrow would have two full rest days before Monday. And if you go Small on Saturday, he should give your pen more of a rest, and even then you still have a rest day in between.

Our pen should be fully rested at this point. You'll either use one or two for multiple innings and won't have them Saturday if needed (though they should still be ready by Monday or Tuesday), or you use several for an inning each, and they're still good to go.

I'd rather set it up to be more reliant on the pen Friday than Saturday if you play that one. And honestly, we have several guys in the pen who need a little work.

msbulldog
06-21-2018, 12:29 PM
Pull for Florida and it could work out that both Knight and Singer will be burnt. We will face OSU?s 3rd or 4th best pitcher on Friday so the stars could align for us to face a team with our pitching situation in the final in 2013 and us be setup like UCLA was.

The Pedo is going to pitch.

Activated Alpha
06-21-2018, 01:52 PM
OSU can mash against anyone's pitching. We better be ready to hit as well.

DawgFromOxford
06-21-2018, 02:10 PM
The way I see it is you are now playing to win a national championship. Yes, you have to make the final series first, but we've already been there done that. We have a second place trophy, so play to win it all. Not a chance we win a National Championship without Small pitching in game 1 or 2. Your odds are better of winning the championship if you win game 1 so that's where I want Small pitching. Pitch the whole pen tomorrow. Hold Small out until game 1 of the finals.

msstate7
06-22-2018, 03:10 PM
Knew this was a bad decision.

06-22-2018, 04:05 PM

Yep you and I were the original pro-Small-start guys

Now he?s hurt and probably can?t go tomorrow anyway

I doubt we?ve got any pitcher that can beat OSU though

msstate7
06-22-2018, 04:42 PM
Yep you and I were the original pro-Small-start guys

Now he?s hurt and probably can?t go tomorrow anyway

I doubt we?ve got any pitcher that can beat OSU though

At least Henderson didn't turn a bad decision into a fatal one by using key guys in a losing effort. Still hurts we didn't go with our best. You have to win 2 in championship series, so even if you save small for game 1 you still have to win another. Correct rotation was small today, pilk Monday, JB/France Tuesday, and small again Wednesday. Now even if we win tomorrow with small, he is done for series

06-22-2018, 05:00 PM
At least Henderson didn't turn a bad decision into a fatal one by using key guys in a losing effort. Still hurts we didn't go with our best. You have to win 2 in championship series, so even if you save small for game 1 you still have to win another. Correct rotation was small today, pilk Monday, JB/France Tuesday, and small again Wednesday. Now even if we win tomorrow with small, he is done for series
You have to consider Smalls surgically repaired arm in the decision, going today and then next week might not work

That said, I still say start him today

Have to hope Flarrda can force Arky to use Knight

Todd4State
06-22-2018, 05:14 PM

The bad decision was the guy that half our fans think should be our coach because leaving him in to allow six runs.

Todd4State
06-22-2018, 05:14 PM

There's no guarantee that we play Weds. See 2013.

CoachT14
06-22-2018, 05:20 PM
The bad decision was the guy that half our fans think should be our coach because leaving him in to allow six runs.

This! This game is 100% on Henderson. Starting JB wasn’t really a bad decision itself. But when it was obvious that he didn’t have his stuff after the 1st inning, there should’ve been some down in the pen ready to get loose fast. But instead Henderson stayed with him until it was way too late and set Keegan James up for failure.

MarketingBully
06-22-2018, 05:21 PM

Helps if we score more then 2 ****ing runs against a depleted staff. Bats should have kept us in it. JB will never not allow less then 5 runs. The biggest disappointment to me was in the third inning when we had two on no outs and Jordan fouls off six balls. He could have easily walked there and we could have had the bases loaded no outs and who knows where this game goes. Henderson always does that though not get our guy out before the big big inning happens. He’s just not wired that way.

Todd4State
06-22-2018, 05:24 PM
Helps if we score more then 2 ****ing runs against a depleted staff. Bats should have kept us in it. JB will never not allow less then 5 runs. The biggest disappointment to me was in the third inning when we had two on no outs and Jordan fouls off six balls. He could have easily walked there and we could have had the bases loaded no outs and who knows where this game goes. Henderson always does that though not get our guy out before the big big inning happens. He’s just not wired that way.

A lot more difficult to hit when you are down six runs. Being down like that pretty much shuts down your running game and takes pressure off of the other team's pitcher. Had we left JB at the Omaha zoo we would have been leading 2-1 in the sixth. And I doubt we have Denver McQuary in the game walking everyone.

06-22-2018, 05:28 PM

This is why all the knowledgeable posters know you are clueless

You have to win 2 games, that means one of your other pitchers had to at least win 1 game too, the order DOES NOT MATTER

This decision to not go with Small cost is a chance at the Finals most likely, but at least we?d have been there

Todd4State
06-22-2018, 05:31 PM
This is why all the knowledgeable posters know you are clueless

You have to win 2 games, that means one of your other pitchers had to at least win 1 game too, the order DOES NOT MATTER

This decision to not go with Small cost is a chance at the Finals most likely, but at least we?d have been there

And people think you are clueless because you think we should hire Lane Burroughs, Ole Miss is awesome, and that Ryan Rigby is a top 10 round draft pick.

We're going to probably pitch Small tomorrow anyway. And Oregon State is going to have to go through more pitching this game.

Dumbass Henderson knows that JB is off a lot and you know pretty soon if he is- so most coaches instead of allowing a guy to allow 6 runs would take him out immediately.

Of course your way leaves us with no option but to throw JB in the Finals if we even get there.

msstate7
06-22-2018, 05:32 PM

If we can't win a game without small, we won't win it anyway

Todd4State
06-22-2018, 05:33 PM
And Goat- you don't play to "just get there". You play to win the whole thing.

06-22-2018, 05:34 PM
And people think you are clueless because you think we should hire Lane Burroughs, Ole Miss is awesome, and that Ryan Rigby is a top 10 round draft pick.

We're going to probably pitch Small tomorrow anyway. And Oregon State is going to have to go through more pitching this game.

And Luke Reynolds

derp

Haha, I think the general point on all of those was 100% correct

It’s not my fault that Rigby messed up his career over stupid crap

MarketingBully
06-22-2018, 05:35 PM
A lot more difficult to hit when you are down six runs. Being down like that pretty much shuts down your running game and takes pressure off of the other team's pitcher. Had we left JB at the Omaha zoo we would have been leading 2-1 in the sixth. And I doubt we have Denver McQuary in the game walking everyone.

We were the visiting team. Why couldn’t we of gotten more then one shitty run in the first? Oh yeah that’s right because Rowdy and Tanner both popped out and destroyed the inning before it started then did the same in the 3rd. We aren’t going to win shit with both Rowdy and Tanner having one hit the whole CWS.

And Goat- you don't play to "just get there". You play to win the whole thing.

Can’t win it if you don’t get there

Now, say something about banning me, it’s all you have left

You’re like a raccoon backed into a cage when people call out you baseball ‘expertise’ hahaha

Todd4State
If we can't win a game without small, we won't win it anyway

So, what do you think we should do then? Pitch the finals without our ace again?

Todd4State
06-22-2018, 05:37 PM
And Luke Reynolds

derp

Haha, I think the general point on all of those was 100% correct

It’s not my fault that Rigby messed up his career over stupid crap

And it's not my fault Luke Reynolds left the team because he didn't redshirt and looked awesome against Marshall all year. The only SEC team he hit all year was us.

On top of that- you said Reynolds was going to start over Gavin Collins in 2016 and I told you that you were wrong. And again- you were wrong. Too bad we only got .302 and 10 home runs that year out of Collins.

And by Rigby messed up his career "over stupid crap" do you mean hurt his hip?

MarketingBully
06-22-2018, 05:38 PM

You’re like a raccoon backed into a cage when people call out you baseball ‘expertise’ hahaha

How many accounts do you have and how many have been banned?

Todd4State
06-22-2018, 05:38 PM

You also can't throw your ace everyday either.

I'm not worried about you getting banned. I'm sure it's only a matter of time. Again.

msstate7
06-22-2018, 05:41 PM
So, what do you think we should do then? Pitch the finals without our ace again?

He would fine on Wednesday (4 days rest).

06-22-2018, 05:50 PM

At least for a few innings

The bigger question is how effective he will be tomorrow

Todd4State
06-22-2018, 05:50 PM

And again no guarantee that you get there. Plus you have Small coming off of Tommy John and that factors in as well.

If you are in a position of advantage it's OK to roll the dice IMO. Because if they beat Small tomorrow- we weren't probably beating them today. And we know JB is not beating them.

Todd4State
06-22-2018, 05:52 PM

So, you think we should just pitch our ace for "a few innings" when we're going for the National Title?

Because "Hey at least we got there!"

msstate7
06-22-2018, 05:52 PM

The even bigger question is will he pitch at all tomorrow

MarketingBully
06-22-2018, 06:05 PM

Well let’s see. He was doing scouting and writing with his left hand like he was pitching tomorrow and didn’t have ice on it so you be the judge.

Todd4State
06-22-2018, 06:13 PM

I will be shocked if he does not. ESPN loves drama.

MarketingBully
06-22-2018, 06:37 PM
I will be shocked if he does not. ESPN loves drama.

Love the ****ing rumors. Didn’t even hit his throwing arm....he’ll pitch.

"I'm fine. I took two Tylenol."
Ball caught him inside of non-throwing elbow. He's mad he didn't turn in time to catch it.
And he knows after all the years of snagging balls in BP, he ought have been more aware of the surroundings.
Good mood to say the least.